Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Dec 2011, 12:12 (Ref:3002200)   #51
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Bower's "No Angel", biography of Bernie Ecclestone. The racing sections were poorly researched, and in some cases facts were distorted in attempts to prove the author's point (points that weren't always valid). This, accompanied by a plethora of mis-spellings and misconceptions of technical ideas meant that it was painful for me to read at times. I put it down several times vowing never to pick it up again, but I did finish it in the end. The later chapters on business in recent F1 were readable, but after the poor early chapters I found myself viewing them as plausible fiction rather than a definitive account of Bernie's dealings.

Basically, it shows where Bower's background is. It should be a two author job - one to deal with racing aspects, and leave Bower free to concentrate on the business side.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 12:39 (Ref:3002204)   #52
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
^ ditto
Old 20 Dec 2011, 13:24 (Ref:3002221)   #53
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Tom Bower's "No Angel", biography of Bernie Ecclestone.
I took it all with a pinch of salt and enjoyed a good tale!
Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:08 (Ref:3003178)   #54
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV Sport 'The complete Encyclopedia of Formula One' (2010 Edition). When it comes to season review books definitely go for the official copies. Knowing ITV the quality was never going to be top notch but I still expected more. There are several spelling mistakes and a fair few misprints of dates (Such as Schumacher winning the WC in 2005 and not 2004).

There are a few nice photographs but only skims the surface and does not go into much depth at all. I am glad that I did not buy this book for the full price (£19.99 RRP) but for a quarter of that. Had I of bought it for the full price I would of felt cheated!

It is nice to refer to it for championship standings etc. but there is nothing in there which you could not find on Wikipedia.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3008425)   #55
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Formula 1 Facts and Trivia" by John White. It is absolutely riddled with errors of fact that anyone with the least knowledge of motor racing would have spotted. Every other page of my copy has an inked-in correction.
I got "Andy Priaux,Triple World Champuion" for £1 from Poundland and that's about all it's worth.
"Automobile Record Breakers" by David tremayne was disappointing. GIven his enthusiasm for record breaking I expected better. It's a potboiler with one half-decent chapter on Projet Thrust padded out with three very superficial chapters on the land speed Record, Developments in Motor sport and one on production cars. But it only cost me £1 from an Oxfam shop so I shouldn't really complain.
Several books I have were disappointing, but none qualify as bad books

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 23:48 (Ref:3008431)   #56
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I was warned off the Priaulx book. I was told it's one fat PR release in book form.
Old 9 Jan 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3009304)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Have to say I thought the Rubython Senna book was quite a good account of his career considering the author's been somewhat controversial with his subscription mags in recent times...

Currently reading the Maurice Hamilton Tyrrell book mentioned by andy97. It's not bad and does actually give reasonable text to the subjects he mentions....I agree though, the amount of times 'froth job' in mentioned as though it was an endearing quality is a bit tedious.

Some of the late Chris Hilton's works were well presented but sadly lacking in in enough detail for the true enthusiasts.

Those mini works he did on 1980/90's drivers (Alesi, Herbert, Frentzen etc) were ok and gave you decent flavours of the characters, but I would much rather have spent several weeks plundering through a full career story as it were?

One of the most unresearched books I've recently read is the rare Didier Pironi book by Lorrie Coffey?

It seemed to me that most of it was just lifted from magazines and other period tomes about 1980's motor racing and drivers etc and perhaps got finished (or written off) in a hurry?

How great it would be if someone actually produced a full works on that guy who was an extremely interesting, controversial, ruthless and most memorably 'icy' character that makes Kimi Raikkonen look like a count jester.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3010407)   #58
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is bad about the Priaulx book then? I nearly bought it on my Kindle the other day, I'm guessing I should not bother?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 15 Jan 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3012099)   #59
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bought the Priaulx book from eBay and read it on a few train journeys over a weekend and thought it was half decent.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 00:25 (Ref:3012127)   #60
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
What is bad about the Priaulx book then? I nearly bought it on my Kindle the other day, I'm guessing I should not bother?
I've not read it myself but apparently whilst his journey up the ladder is covered well, his extensive BMW career rings like a grey press release.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3026941)   #61
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the Priaulx book too, with an open mind and found it an engaging read to be honest. I wasn't taken in by any air of corporate promotion but I suppose we all read things differently.

I enjoyed reading about his rise through to world level.

I also liked the Rubython Senna book too. A long and in-depth read but plenty of facts to keep my grey stuff ticking.

Bad books? Well, that's why I'm reading this thread, to give me an idea of what to avoid
Old 23 Feb 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3029840)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am moving home and purged quite a few of the poorer books from my collection.

The feeling of joy when I took the Rubython Senna book to Oxfam yesterday.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3029924)   #63
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
A rough rule of thumb - don't buy a biography of someone who is still racing. They will usually be sycophantic because of libel fears or because they were written by an author "in awe".

The White trivia book mentioned earlier is quite the most appalling thing I've ever read- it's just sheer lazy work by someone who appears to know nothing about the sport (Ithink he calls the Indy 500 a Grand Prix).It went to the charity bookshop a long time ago together with all the "Complete Encyclopedia of... and The Ultimate Book of..." potboilers that my daughter bought me when she was little. You don't have the heart to tell them.

It's easier for me because I'm interested in the 50s/60s and all the top reads are by now well known. They just cost so much.

(I know it's off-thread, but this week I picked up a 1st edition of the Sheldon/Rabagliati "A Record of Grand Prix ....etc" for £40 on E-bay - there were no other bidders.Result!)
Old 12 Oct 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3150553)   #64
nivola1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Banbury, Oxfordshire
nivola1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtonowhere View Post
I have tried to trawl the web to find a list of books to avoid in Motorsport. Unfortunatley to my later regret I have made some unfortunate purchases ie. The Life of Senna by Mr Rubython.

I thought that there should be a thread set up so others don't make the same mistakes. So I ask you fellow motorsport fans to list the howlers of the Motorsport book world

Roadtonowhere
I bought the senna book at autosport int. show a few years ago. mr Rubython was there to sign it (!!!!) does this make it valuable?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3150561)   #65
nivola1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Mostly I've always been disappointed with Christopher Hilton's books. A lot of 2nd hand info, lots of words but no red meat substance overall.

There was one of his I read "The mind of the grand prix driver"(something like that) and most of the substance was a few interviews with guys like Julian Bailey and the rest being 2nd hand quotes. Somewhat interesting but really lacking. Glad I picked it up for $1.00 used. Full price and I would have lost it.
Christopher Hiltons book Nuvolari was panned at the time when it first came out but for fans of the mantuan it came as a welcome addition to our bookshelves. Having been starved of information on the greatest to ever turn a wheel I accepted it's faults.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3150583)   #66
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
A rough rule of thumb - don't buy a biography of someone who is still racing. They will usually be sycophantic because of libel fears or because they were written by an author "in awe".

The White trivia book mentioned earlier is quite the most appalling thing I've ever read- it's just sheer lazy work by someone who appears to know nothing about the sport (Ithink he calls the Indy 500 a Grand Prix).It went to the charity bookshop a long time ago together with all the "Complete Encyclopedia of... and The Ultimate Book of..." potboilers that my daughter bought me when she was little. You don't have the heart to tell them.

It's easier for me because I'm interested in the 50s/60s and all the top reads are by now well known. They just cost so much.

(I know it's off-thread, but this week I picked up a 1st edition of the Sheldon/Rabagliati "A Record of Grand Prix ....etc" for £40 on E-bay - there were no other bidders.Result!)
If a stats book isn't by Steve Small, Peter Higham or David Hayhoe then I don't buy it. Mickey-mouse pop books on F1 like the one's ITV knocked out back in the day certainly aren't welcome.

I actually have a Hambo book and a Schumacher biog from his Ferrari era unread from a couple of years ago. Got them as presents but haven't the will to read through them. Didn't have the will to even look between the pages. Don't think I will either.

As for the picture books that are the rage now, I'm reluctant. I like a good body of text to back it up, pictures aren't enough. Maybe I'm just spoiled by google images.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3150587)   #67
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivola1 View Post
Christopher Hiltons book Nuvolari was panned at the time when it first came out but for fans of the mantuan it came as a welcome addition to our bookshelves. Having been starved of information on the greatest to ever turn a wheel I accepted it's faults.
I never understood why it was panned, unless people were thinking it was going to be an in-depth full biog of the Flying Mantuan. Which we really still lack. But as a series of vignettes on some of his greatest races it was a fine work.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3150634)   #68
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as Usual . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Trouble is, the special editions often go through the roof pricewise. "Time And Two Seats" is a classic example. Which might be useful in recessionary times...
Yes and mine is available.

It also happens to be Autographed by the author Janos Wimpffen, and at least 40 prominent sportscar personalities.

PM with offers. Note that the two volume set weighs just under 10kg so shipping outside of the US can be very expensive

. .
Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3150797)   #69
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
If a stats book isn't by Steve Small, Peter Higham or David Hayhoe then I don't buy it. Mickey-mouse pop books on F1 like the one's ITV knocked out back in the day certainly aren't welcome.

I actually have a Hambo book and a Schumacher biog from his Ferrari era unread from a couple of years ago. Got them as presents but haven't the will to read through them. Didn't have the will to even look between the pages. Don't think I will either.

As for the picture books that are the rage now, I'm reluctant. I like a good body of text to back it up, pictures aren't enough. Maybe I'm just spoiled by google images.
Unread? Good man. Don't encourage the "Fanboyz" - too much crap being printed now as Xmas specials for the semi-literate.It's on a par with autobiographies by "boy bands" and X-Factor monkeys.

I will not usually buy a biography till they're dead. That way there's less chance of sychophancy, and at least you get to read something like the truth.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3151031)   #70
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Unread? Good man. Don't encourage the "Fanboyz" - too much crap being printed now as Xmas specials for the semi-literate.It's on a par with autobiographies by "boy bands" and X-Factor monkeys.

I will not usually buy a biography till they're dead. That way there's less chance of sychophancy, and at least you get to read something like the truth.
Not true in the case of Ayrton Senna. Thanks to books about him I learned the meaning of "hagiography"

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3151089)   #71
nivola1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
I never understood why it was panned, unless people were thinking it was going to be an in-depth full biog of the Flying Mantuan. Which we really still lack. But as a series of vignettes on some of his greatest races it was a fine work.
I think bacause it's nothing new but old race reports reprinted. A proper biog of nuvolari would be welcome, the guy was a complex person.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3151487)   #72
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
Not true in the case of Ayrton Senna. Thanks to books about him I learned the meaning of "hagiography"
Blimey, I just had to look that one up. Agreed.

There is one well-known current author, whose books I have bought because I was interested in the subject matter, who writes in a dire "next he did that" style, and always fawning about the subject's brilliance. Spoils the book.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 23:35 (Ref:3172830)   #73
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jake Humphrey's new book is bad. Looks and sounds like it could be interesting. But it's like An Idiot's Guide To F1. Thankfully I read the reviews and had a read in The Works (down to £6.99 already!) before requesting a copy.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3172859)   #74
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Tom Bower biography of Bernie Ecclestone was one I attempted last year.

I had to quit halfway through, it was sickeningly bad. Full of errors regarding dates and drivers for a start. But the bit that bugged me most was the sheer length and lack of structure of some of the chapters. I am sure one of them was 100 pages, all in a rather stale and wearisome style of prose. Ghastly stuff all round.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 04:27 (Ref:3174852)   #75
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
This thread here sums up Bill Woods below-par effort with "Legends of Speed"
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=legends+speed
One of only two books listed in this thread that I have. Nothing inherently wrong with it, other than bland, fawning and utterly devoid of anything that wasn't already common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
"Automobile Record Breakers" by David tremayne was disappointing. GIven his enthusiasm for record breaking I expected better. It's a potboiler with one half-decent chapter on Projet Thrust padded out with three very superficial chapters on the land speed Record, Developments in Motor sport and one on production cars. But it only cost me £1 from an Oxfam shop so I shouldn't really complain.
It was gift years ago and I've never even opened it.

I will add another title to this awful list, "Ironbark legends, Peter Brock" Pathetic fawning drivel.