Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jul 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3657557)   #1
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do I replace my Yokos with?

Along with most of the Roadsports brigade, I have been using Yokohamas ever since I starting racing the TR back in 2004. Latterly that has been the AO48R of course. My current set have been on the car for long enough that they are almost classic in their own right, but it really is time to replace them.

The A048R is not currently E marked, and is therefore not an option. We can use any road-legal tyre from Blue Book List 1A or 1B, but with minimum profile of 60. I use 205/60 R15, my car is relatively heavy at just over 1000kg, and it does do a fair bit of road-mileage as well as racing.

My mate who runs another TR has gone to Avon CR6ZZ, and my natural inclination would be to do the same for 'sportsmanship' reasons, but ... Avon don't do a 60 profile, they do a 70 ... in my case that would involve mucking about with the suspension to give a touch more clearance; when new, the 60s just touch their shoulders in hard cornering against the wheel arches, so a 70 is going to be worse, after racing the car for 13 years I really can't be bothered to pfaff about, I just want to bolt on some fresh rubber! The Avons are also a lot more money that the Yokos...

So I'm thinking of using another tyre, and the two options that leap out are Toyo Proxes CF2 or Kumho Ecsta HS51. Both available in the correct sizes, and at attractive pricing!

Does anyone have any experience of running either of these tyres?

Does anyone have any other suggestions / advice?

Lots of the other guys will be facing this decision at some point, but it seems that I am leading the charge. I hear that Yoko may put the A048R through whatever process is required for an E mark, but plod would be a tad miffed if he stopped me on the road right now, so my need is too urgent to wait!

Thanks
Old 8 Jul 2016, 05:23 (Ref:3657610)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure if any other make will precisely replace the Yokos James. The difference between them and competitors was put to me once thus- the Yokohama is a race tyre which is E marked for road, the others are road tyre construction that have been adapted for racing. Mind you, the person that gave me that description did work for Yokohama... I'd go for Toyo if you need to get tyres now.

Yes, they are working on getting E mark back again.

I'm guilty to driving around local roads on Ls, but they actually look more road legal than E marked Yoko / Toyo.....
Old 8 Jul 2016, 10:54 (Ref:3657648)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kuhmo Ecsta perform very well on my local country driving route.Not so bad in dampish conditions either.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 12:49 (Ref:3657656)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Give George Polley a ring and ask advice 01354 688111
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jul 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3657695)   #5
Rob Williams
Rookie

England
Birmingham
Rob Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the MSA Extra April newsletter, page 16.

YOKOHAMA A048
Yokohama has asked the MSA to clarify its entry on
Tyre Lists 1B and 1C. The A048-R is also designated
A048 – it is the same tyre with or without the ‘R’
suffix. Therefore the entry in tyre lists 1A and 1B
should read as follows:
List 1B
A048 [Including A048-R]
(OE fitments marked LTS in sizes 195/50x16 &
225/45x17 only)
List 1C
A048 (Including A048-R)

so its still the same tyre so should be ok
Old 8 Jul 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3657720)   #6
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, I too was going to quote that but I believe the issue is that although the tyre (without or without the 'R') is in the accepted List B it is the fact that they are not E marked. HSCC are requiring tyres to be E marked and that is why a few seasoned HSCC campaigners have 'defected' to CSCC and other series'.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Jul 2016, 05:15 (Ref:3657745)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Is it not just specific sized original equipment Yokos that are listed in 1b?
Old 9 Jul 2016, 07:52 (Ref:3657760)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Is it not just specific sized original equipment Yokos that are listed in 1b?
yes that's how I read it.
But I do wonder how they can be 'OE fitment' if not E-marked?