Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Dec 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3693591)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And then there becomes the big question of who takes the-person-who-takes-the-Merc-seat's seat
Old 4 Dec 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3693615)   #102
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will vomit if I see Alonso in Merc coveralls.

If they go after Vettel then Bottas will fill his seat at Ferrari. There were rumours Bottas was in talks with Ferrari prior to re-signing Kimi. Anyway, I don't believe Vettel or Alonso will be at Merc. Their contracts would be along the lines of Hamilton's if not more and not to mention the cost of breaking their contracts. So Bottas it is the logical choice for reasons previously explained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Dec 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3693617)   #103
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well if toto is struggling to find someone he could always ask the wife, would certainly put him in her good books
Old 4 Dec 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3693620)   #104
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My son just informed me that he heard on twitter that Lauda wants Kimi.

That would mean goodbye to Hamilton's string of poles and wins.

Old 4 Dec 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3693629)   #105
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
great idea - Lewis could take him out partying and get him drunk before the GP weekends...
Old 4 Dec 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3693637)   #106
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
I may be hallucinating but I recall some discussion of Alonso having an escape clause from McLaren. They certainly have not given him a competitive car. He might be an easy poach.
If he has an escape clause, it will probably depend on what exactly those terms are.
He had no wins, and no podiums, but he did finish in the top 10 in the championship.

I for one would love to see him in the Mercedes
Old 4 Dec 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3693642)   #107
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
My son just informed me that he heard on twitter that Lauda wants Kimi.

That would mean goodbye to Hamilton's string of poles and wins.

If that is true it might be a one year deal so that Mercedes can then get some of those they really want as a lot of the big guns contracts run out at the end of next year.

As Kimi is not bothered about who his team mate is Hamilton will not be able to play games with him or get under Kimi's skin.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3693659)   #108
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel Ricciardo... anyone?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3693668)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
David Thexton...
I love the plan..

Another Kiwi springs to mind, not that one

Shane van Gisbergen...

If only he wasn't quite so tall..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Dec 2016, 23:33 (Ref:3693683)   #110
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paddy just said at the Autosport dinner "there are old guys and very young guys but the ones in the middle are all tied up".

I take that to indicate they will not take an existing star so one of their contracted juniors is favourite IMO
Old 5 Dec 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3693696)   #111
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Would be perfect but if I were advising him, I'd tell him to stay where he is.
An improved Renault plus Newey magic again....

My money's on Whirly.
(But I'd much prefer Hulk to get it - finally a top car.)
Old 5 Dec 2016, 01:06 (Ref:3693698)   #112
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
great idea - Lewis could take him out partying and get him drunk before the GP weekends...
That would back fire with Kimi, I could see him rolling in to the track in a better mood and almost cheerful after that. And of course the mind games would be wasted on a guy who doesn't seem to care what anyone's opinion of him is.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 02:37 (Ref:3693717)   #113
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post

My money's on Whirly.
Yea, that's what I am thinking. German for sure.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3693720)   #114
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get Alonso in for a year. Hamilton then has to compete against a former WDC in equal machinery. It should keep him from throwing the toys out of the pram. then in 2018 grab one of the young guns who has proved their worth.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:09 (Ref:3693728)   #115
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
No chance he is leaving RBR.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3693770)   #116
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think it will be Kimi.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 09:43 (Ref:3693804)   #117
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post

I'd go for that. One of the most underrated drivers out there.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 09:54 (Ref:3693808)   #118
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Interesting that Toto says he doesn't want to weaken Williams by trying for Bottas and the same with Ferrari and McLaren. Actually Mercedes, after their complete dominance of F1 in recent years, IF they did take another driver from another team and 'weaken' it as a result this could be tricky politically.

Maybe they will go for Pascal after all?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:21 (Ref:3693818)   #119
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Interesting that Toto says he doesn't want to weaken Williams by trying for Bottas and the same with Ferrari and McLaren. Actually Mercedes, after their complete dominance of F1 in recent years, IF they did take another driver from another team and 'weaken' it as a result this could be tricky politically.

Usually in motorsport, when someone states quite clearly that they're not going to do something it means that they are about to do the opposite!
(Or am I just thinking of Bernie?)
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3693850)   #120
GaryMitchell
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Newry
GaryMitchell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If i was to bet, it would have to be all in on Pascal Wehrlein. It seems to have been set up to go this way if Rosberg decided to retire.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3693853)   #121
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes Wehrlein said he won't annoy Merc chasing after it, but will be happy to join them if the call comes
Old 5 Dec 2016, 13:09 (Ref:3693877)   #122
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post
Get Alonso in for a year. Hamilton then has to compete against a former WDC in equal machinery. It should keep him from throwing the toys out of the pram. then in 2018 grab one of the young guns who has proved their worth.
But Alonso is contracted to McLaren, and I'd be astonished if there's a loophole to allow him to walk.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 14:34 (Ref:3693898)   #123
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Paddy just said at the Autosport dinner "there are old guys and very young guys but the ones in the middle are all tied up".

I take that to indicate they will not take an existing star so one of their contracted juniors is favourite IMO
Rings true to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post

Again, not sure why anyone should expect this to be true (Altruism is probably rare in F1), but for some reason I take it at face value. It might just be easier to be gracious when you are at the top of the heap.

I suspect Mercedes is tired of the 2016 drama between their two drivers. It's better to win WCC and WDC, but not to have such a close battle for WDC but still treat both drivers equally. I expect it will not be a highly experienced current driver and am betting on a one year deal with Pascal Wehrlein with an option for them to extend if he proves he is worthy of the seat.

Richard
Old 5 Dec 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3693910)   #124
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Toto says that only two drivers haven't contacted him, Kyvat and Kimi.
Even Maldanado has! What a thought!
Makes me wonder how all the other drivers wander into work today and greet their current bosses and lie!
Old 5 Dec 2016, 16:28 (Ref:3693920)   #125
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they dont lie...they have managers and agents who do that for them!

as for Alonos...re partnering with Hamilton would be one of the biggest stories in a long time and as a side bonus would allow various publications to dredge up the history of spygate and one of the scenes of Denis's bigger failures.

being a cynic at times....how is this not a move that Zak Brown wants to see happen?

in one move (letting Alonso go) he would make Mclaren look magnanimous from a PR point of view, save the teams tens of millions, distance his tenure from that of Ron's, and help his publications sell a mega ton of copies.

question for me is do Merc want to, or are they able to, handle FA and LH at the same time?