Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Apr 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3636631)   #51
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That's the point I was trying to make, subtly

BMW's are no better than LC's, all very special now.

a GTA is a significant investment so you'd be daft to try and keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Zef,
Alfa GTAs - my thoughts exactly. Apart from the Banks' in their v. quick GTA, who have won this round before, and one other.
Lotus Cortinas have won the arms-race.
If you were an Alfa owner who was keen to win, why would you try and compete against the hot-rod LCs ? Ten years ago, you had a chance ... not now. So you don't enter and the grid is less full of variety.
Nick
Grumpy old b*st*rd.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3636641)   #52
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
U2TC Happens in all these special series.

They either fail in short or long term due to it becoming an arms race.

This has happened

Watching that computer being plugged into GTA about seven years ago at Silverstone made me sell our car,
It's only a game boys!
Old 27 Apr 2016, 09:39 (Ref:3636654)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Have Alfa Romeo gone on strike? U2TC grid looks pretty bland, tells a story IMO. Frey few in any HRDC grids also.

Good to see pre war and 70's touring cars, the latest trend!
IIRC, weren't the BMWs responsible for the demise of the FIA European Historic Touring Car Championship? Same as is happening with LCs now.

It is only a game John and it disappoints me when I see cars like mine where the entrants have raised the bonnet to gain more air, you should see what the JDC boys have done to the PMS Rover. The cars never raced like that in period.

Still if I can at least be a bit more competitive this weekend I'll, be pleased. Going to be interesting sharing the grid with slick shod cars too.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3636684)   #54
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Peter Mallett;3636654]IIRC, weren't the BMWs responsible for the demise of the FIA European Historic Touring Car Championship? Same as is happening with LCs now.

It is only a game John and it disappoints me when I see cars like mine where the entrants have raised the bonnet to gain more air, you should see what the JDC boys have done to the PMS Rover. The cars never raced like that in period.

Peter,
I sort of suspected that when I saw the Scuderia Bavaria BMWs with tyre-warmers at the 1991 Silverstone Classic round of the FIA EHTC... as my mate said at Spa a year later when we viewed the giant team transporters for the Steigenburger Cup CanAm race "...don't forget, it's only a hobby..."

I don't recognise half the names on the U2TC grid nowadays, but I can be reasonably sure they went to a race-preparer, asked "What can win ?" and were presented with a tricked up LC. It was ever thus, though today there just seems a lot more of it...
Nick
Old 27 Apr 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3636713)   #55
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We picked Monday several months ago and so I'm happy with the entry that day.
Now if only the weather would play ball
Old 28 Apr 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3636845)   #56
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
CJFG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The pre 91 touring cars is a very impressive entry list, but the Super Tourers look thin. Just too expensive to run for most people I assume?
http://www.supertcc.com/donington-entries.html

The entry list on the STCC website includes 19 cars for Donington Park. I don't know if this list or the list on the DHF website is correct but I thought I'd share it with you.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3636883)   #57
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
small entry for the 1.000 km race

that is exactly what I predicted early in this very thread

the race length is eating up so much engine life that you almost face a rebuild afterwards
and with these engines that can be 20 k pounds
so some owners opted out

F Junior would have meant a full grid, so many car out there to make that happen
but DHF organisers thought Juniors no longer worthwhile

what goes round does come round

I would have raced 3 cars had there been a Junior race

RE
Old 28 Apr 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3636931)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
small entry for the 1.000 km race

that is exactly what I predicted early in this very thread

the race length is eating up so much engine life that you almost face a rebuild afterwards
and with these engines that can be 20 k pounds
so some owners opted out

F Junior would have meant a full grid, so many car out there to make that happen
but DHF organisers thought Juniors no longer worthwhile

what goes round does come round

I would have raced 3 cars had there been a Junior race

RE
Think you're spot on with all of that. I guess the entry fee wasn't cheap either?
Old 28 Apr 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3636936)   #59
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, I'm rapidly going off the idea of attending. Will it be a case of 'is there anybody there' on track?
Old 28 Apr 2016, 17:54 (Ref:3636958)   #60
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
30 + Jags but nearly all E types. Good grid though.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3636968)   #61
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why is it always freezing and raining for these events in the UK? Weather doesn't look good at all.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 05:32 (Ref:3637028)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
30 + Jags but nearly all E types. Good grid though.
Yes, could do with a bit more variety for the Jag race! Hopefully LMC meeting will produce a better selection including saloons and XKs.......

As for the weather, it's UK and still early spring! End of May about right time to start the season...... Looks like latter half of Monday will be warmer and dry(after the rain has passed through!).
Old 29 Apr 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3637070)   #63
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps with a touch of (unintended) irony I see that the front cover of the official programme is basically a large graphic of three LC's in a nose to tail procession.

Will be there Saturday and Monday.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3637124)   #64
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Similar picture on a faceache page for the festival.

I was delighted to see the band of rain has shifted, hopefully Monday will be dry

I'm packing wool, weathproof everything and 2 full gas bottles in the campervan.

better check my passport, haven't been that far north for a while!
Old 29 Apr 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3637127)   #65
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll be OK Joe. You're stopping short of Yorkshire.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 16:57 (Ref:3637153)   #66
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I thought you'd rise to that one Peter
Old 30 Apr 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3637248)   #67
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought I would take the opportunity ot post a coupld of gratuitous pics from last year's event.
Attached Thumbnails
750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5471.jpg   750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5475.jpg   750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5557.jpg  

750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5698.jpg   750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5662 1.jpg   750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5613.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3637282)   #68
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Thought I would take the opportunity ot post a coupld of gratuitous pics from last year's event.
Stunning mate, good work
Old 30 Apr 2016, 08:42 (Ref:3637290)   #69
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Stunning mate, good work
Thanks.

Not so my typing it seems. The words looked fine before I hit the submit key!

Doh!
Old 30 Apr 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3637308)   #70
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Just glimpsed Mike in his shorts as usual. I'm now sheltering from a hail storm!
Old 30 Apr 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3637316)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Just glimpsed Mike in his shorts as usual. I'm now sheltering from a hail storm!
Overtrousers were in backpack- and now in use!

Worse than the fact it hailed was the drop in temperature!
Old 30 Apr 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3637318)   #72
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Be up late tonight too much too do in workshop catch you all tomorrow. That MK2 Jag I was driving is now a Red XK120.Woodcote Trophy race.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3637334)   #73
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Still one of the most handsome cars in the paddock.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 30 Apr 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3637336)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Still one of the most handsome cars in the paddock.
Bit of tweaking needed with driver's FHR- or cut out the roll cage diagonal!
Old 30 Apr 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3637382)   #75
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A quick and dirty pic of Peter in the collecting area before the race. Don't let the sunshine fool you ....
Attached Thumbnails
750px_DonHistFest2016_2016-04-30_IMG_0911.jpg