Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Apr 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3633244)   #26
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, found it on TSL
Old 16 Apr 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3633245)   #27
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that I would never of look on TSL for a HSCC meeting.

Sorry your at home Colin, car not ready I take it.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 16 Apr 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3633249)   #28
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dampers didn't turn up as promised, car all ready to go otherwise.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3633271)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Very disappointing but not entirely unheard of ....

Look on the bright side Colin.

There hasn't been one this morning at Combe it seems although judging by the way times came down in the HFF1600 qualifying the track may now be drying out.

The saloon grid looks like it could make for an interesting race if it's still dry.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 13:57 (Ref:3633341)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good drive and some good lap times Mr. Owen in the Front Engined FJ race.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3633347)   #31
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well done James, imagine what you could have done with a Ford mill in the front
Old 16 Apr 2016, 16:10 (Ref:3633402)   #32
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
Thanks for that I would never of look on TSL for a HSCC meeting.....
Apparently it's because the HSCC are guests of Castle Combe Racing Club on this occasion. It's a one-off, so MST will be timing the rest of the HSCC meetings this year as normal (which includes Silverstone Classic & Donington Historic).
Old 16 Apr 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3633417)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Apparently it's because the HSCC are guests of Castle Combe Racing Club on this occasion. It's a one-off, so MST will be timing the rest of the HSCC meetings this year as normal (which includes Silverstone Classic & Donington Historic).
Given that the Combe boys have several races on the card that makes a lot of sense of course.

That said the data feed seems almost as erratic as ever and the although the commentary is being broadcast there is an awful electronic interference type noise to contend with - and it dies frequently. At least that is what I am finding.

That's a shame.

How might one get a message to the people involved.

I have attempted it in the past with both TSL and MST and never managed to achieve anything. Can it be so difficult on the modern era of high speed broadband to set up a decent feed?

If the location is not likely to work well then at least let people know or maybe even pull the feed for that meeting with an explanation of why.

I'm not expecting Goodwood levels of video feed but if it's something worth supplying it worth checking that it works well enough to enhance the appeal and the brand rather than blight it.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3633423)   #34
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant help much I'm afraid Grant - I try and stay well away from the techie stuff. TSL have a contact page - you could try that but suspect it will be an office-hours thing (or their Twitter feed). http://www.tsl-timing.com/Contact

Surprised they have the commentary on the TSL feed - that was normally an MST thing for the HSCC I thought. Maybe a one-off for TSL or something new for this season?

As to reliability I do know the biggest problem they have in getting live timing, results etc out in 'real time' tends to be circuit internet connections - it's woeful at many places. Never been to Castle Combe so don't know specifically.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3633436)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Cant help much I'm afraid Grant - I try and stay well away from the techie stuff. TSL have a contact page - you could try that but suspect it will be an office-hours thing (or their Twitter feed). http://www.tsl-timing.com/Contact

Surprised they have the commentary on the TSL feed - that was normally an MST thing for the HSCC I thought. Maybe a one-off for TSL or something new for this season?

As to reliability I do know the biggest problem they have in getting live timing, results etc out in 'real time' tends to be circuit internet connections - it's woeful at many places. Never been to Castle Combe so don't know specifically.

Hi Gary,

No idea what Combe's internet connection is like but it actually seems at least as good as most I followed last year. The live timing has a few glitches (not unusual) and commentary seems to run about half a lap behind the track action but it would all be OK if it wasn't for the noise interference.

That said the last race commentary disappeared after about 8 minutes and all attempts to stop and restart took me back to the very start point at which I joined it so I assume the feed had a problem and I was connecting the file that had cached on my machine.

I'll happily admit that there may be times that the receivieing machine is at "fault" in some way - but the white noise over the commentary is frustrating.

There were a few last year (MST from memory) that would have been OK but for lack of volume.

I thought TSL had some streaming commentary from some events last year but could be mistaken.

When I could hear it well I thought Titchmarsh and Pye were interacting rather well today. Presumably the commentary locations at Combe are conveniently positioned for no obvious action overlaps.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 18:23 (Ref:3633440)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the link. I have sent a message in the interest of making a sensible idea something that all can be pleased with.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3633444)   #37
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
OK Grant!
Old 17 Apr 2016, 05:54 (Ref:3633619)   #38
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Our Damper man has been back in hospital . It's the first time in 30 years he has let me down. Team Delta probably more disappointed than Colin . I never thought the boys would get anywhere close to finishing the car . I've just got up here in hockenheim and it's been raining all night . A third of the F J grid have dropped out after first race , few shunts and engine failures . My pilot had a P3 so what with James result and this retrieved some joy from the weekend
Old 17 Apr 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3633660)   #39
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

How might one get a message to the people involved.
Not expecting much I sent a moany message via the contact link on the MST website - they responded quite quickly and politely pointed out that they weren't covering this meeting but couldn't quite bring themselves to tell me who was

I got the noise on the commentary as well Grant, made it unlistenable, although it had been ok earlier in the day
Old 17 Apr 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3633683)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Colin, I think I might have to invite you to join then Old Codgers Club - at the moment just me and JR, although Bob is also a candidate. Anyway hope the dampers get sorted soon!

Sent to me by my son, yesterday. It is the demo grid to recall the first Formula Griffith race 50 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
photo2.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Apr 2016 at 09:39.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 17 Apr 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3633716)   #41
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Bit of an update from TSL overnight:

As suggested, Castle Combe is one of those circuits that suffers from a lower bandwidth and it struggles on occasions at the larger meetings. Circuit staff are working hard with various suppliers to rectify this. Overnight the TSL Chief TK at the circuit worked with the sound engineers to get a cleaner feed form the circuit system. I'm told that this seems to have improved it considerably this morning. Occasionally the stream may pause, TSL think due to bandwidth at the circuit. Not sure at the moment why the feed appears to pause after a few minutes but apparently pressing the pause button again allows you to hear the commentary again.

Hope that helps, Gary.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3633784)   #42
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Bit of an update from TSL overnight:

As suggested, Castle Combe is one of those circuits that suffers from a lower bandwidth and it struggles on occasions at the larger meetings. Circuit staff are working hard with various suppliers to rectify this. Overnight the TSL Chief TK at the circuit worked with the sound engineers to get a cleaner feed form the circuit system. I'm told that this seems to have improved it considerably this morning. Occasionally the stream may pause, TSL think due to bandwidth at the circuit. Not sure at the moment why the feed appears to pause after a few minutes but apparently pressing the pause button again allows you to hear the commentary again.

Hope that helps, Gary.
Cheers Gary,

The sound was indeed much better this morning although I have only caught a few minutes so far before they went for lunch.

The Live Timing seemed to be frozen on the Classic Clubmans session for ages but I did eventually get an update after the finish of the Classic racing cars.

The PDF booklets also seemed to be trickling through in a strange fashion. Definitely not in order of qualifying and the Guards section not in place by lunch time. Maybe there were some Clarke of the Course matters to resolve before publishing?

Oh well, I can sympathise with the problems of making it all work so congratulations to them for making the effort and being communicative about it.

Hoping that things will hold up on the Combe broadband for my probable attempts to dip in and out later in the afternoon. Sadly I have a few other "tasks" assigned and a wife who is feeling distinctly under the weather so my time is not my own today.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3634324)   #43
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent weekend for me ... restores my faith in the sport as a hobby, rather than just another stress!

Had the Gemini in the Front-Engined FJ race, effectively first time out (as I am still having therapy to try to forget the 6 laps I did at Brands Indy in September!) Having sleet whilst sitting in the assembly area wasn't confidence inspiring, track was very wet, settings were a complete guess! I tooled (toiled, whatever!) around ended up 9th of 17 and actually it didn't feel too bad - either of final two laps would have been significantly quicker too, but yellow flags and orange suits on track put paid to those. Happy enough!

Race was now dry - settings a complete guess again! Fluffed the start, having 'jumped' it trying to find the bite! So got swallowed up by most of the field on run to Quarry. I had no expectation for this weekend, beyond a finish and car-familiarisation, so settled down, found myself over-taking a few, then a few more, then going a bit quicker ... quicker still ... finished 5th, only behind Mallock, both the Bonds and Stuart Roach. Absolutely chuffed to bits ... car handles brilliantly and went like a train. Much thanks to Delta and crew, and Swiftune for the all-new engine! Don't change ANYTHING ...

Sunday was lovely, albeit cold at first, running the TR in HRS. That too going much better than in recent past, again I was driving in 'test' mode really. Another rubbish start, actually my initial get away wasn't too bad, but got pushed hard left on the first kink and had to back-off, so lost several places in ensuing run up Avon Rise and through Quarry. Again settled down to give chase. Car going well, got several back, but HRS is somewhat dominated by little plastic things and V8 Morgans, and they're much too quick for more than a tonne of Triumph! Really enjoyed the run, not been to Combe since I made a mess of the TR hitting oil at Tower in 2009 - so we slayed that demon! Class win and a trophy to give the kids! Again thanks to Delta and my mate, Jeremy Shackel, who all put much work into this car since it last ran.

Good to have the family with me this time, so much of my racing recently has been overseas, but a 'local' clubby meant we were all there.

Best weekend with cars of my own for some time ... should I retire??!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3634335)   #44
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done James and great post. Made a note of your progress in the front-engined FJ race and was very impressed. So nice to hear someone actually enjoying their racing rather than complaining about everyone and everything. Keep it up! Best wishes, Robert
Old 18 Apr 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3634340)   #45
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Excellent result in Gemini James, I was following the live timing avidly! Next outing at Silverstone?
Old 18 Apr 2016, 09:25 (Ref:3634348)   #46
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post

Best weekend with cars of my own for some time ... should I retire??!
Good god man...have you lost your senses?! What would you spend your time/money on otherwise? Shopping with SWMBO is never an appealing alternative!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3634374)   #47
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
" ... but HRS is somewhat dominated by little plastic things and V8 Morgans, and they're much too quick for more than a tonne of Triumph!"...cheeky chap Mr Owen.

There are "plastic things" and then there are "plastic things". The Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious variety are everywhere, but the rest of us, including some plastic things, add a bit of needed spice to the mix, don't you think? I had a crowd of people down to watch and they said it was a very exciting race all in all, even though one or two cars dominated.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3634416)   #48
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a touch cheeky, yes, Burfs ... but merely trying to explain why my 'storming recovery drive' (my own words!) only netted 14th overall (whilst also not actually admitting to that lowly position!)

Saw more than I'd have liked to of one of your brethren (aka "interesting non-Lotus plastic thing"!) ... parking it on the apex of Tower when it failed in quali wasn't the smartest thing to do, perhaps there are mitigating circumstances, I know not ...
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3634443)   #49
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indeed it was a storming recovery, and I totally agree with your comment about parking at the apex of one of the most challenging corners (with limited run-off) on a UK circuit. Still, lots of fun had by all - bring on Silverstone!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3634505)   #50
alc59
Rookie

alc59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectator's view

Did both days. Really good to watch - lots of great old motors, lots of racing.Pleased to hear that competitors enjoyed it - it would be v. boring without you. Hope we see you again soon.