Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 2 Jul 2003, 02:09 (Ref:649144)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
The ladder to the top

Ive been having a bit of a look around the net of late and have become rather confused with the so called ladder system to get to Formula one.

years ago it used to be quite simple.

1. Formula Ford
2. Formula 3
3. Formula 3000
4. Formula 1

simple , but these days things have changed and there is a variety of classes out there but i dunno where half of them fit into the great scheme of things.

I mean i hear that F3000 is not what it used to be and is slipping down the ladder a bit and then there is this Superfund thingy powered by nissan or whatever it is which i know nothing about.

and i may be wrong but is there two Formula 3000 championships or something ???

and now there is classes in between Formula Ford and formula 3 , I know there were in the past such as FFord 2000 and Formula renault and things like that , but its just got me really confused.

so can anybody set the order straight for me please???

simply 1. would be Formula Ford and then what ???????

CHEERS
Marcus (aka confused )
Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:17 (Ref:649333)   #2
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus, in reality there is no longer a route to the top, just a variety of parallel ones. A proposed new route to the top within the UK burst on the scene last week in the press, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I have seen some comments on it in this discussion group and it seems flawed to me, although I will resist entering into discussion until I have had a chance to read last weeks Autosport.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 09:52 (Ref:649365)   #3
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The route for open wheel cars cmprises 3 levels, each with an open and closed competitions, the theory being that the open will allow technological development and the closed be more affordable. All 6 series will have official British championship status.

At the moment I believe 4 of the championship slots are filled > Level 1 closed being ZIP, Level 2 closed and open being Formula Renault and Formula Ford respectively and the Level 3 closed being Formula 3.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 20:53 (Ref:650176)   #4
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simply...or typically

Zip, Renault, F3, ??

Ford, F3, ??

FPA, Ford/Renault

scrap that there are so many championships that have different things to offer, Slick and wings, Cars that put more emphasis on driver ability. Also to suit all budgets!

Most guys or gals will at some point sample all the above series barring zip & FPA as there entry classes.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 02:03 (Ref:650382)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
seems like theres alot of confusion out there as to a dedicated career path , ok then can we just set the cars in an order of performance so to speak.

again I dunno half of the classes in europe so im only guessing but would it roughly go like this.

1.Formula Ford
2.Formula renault
3.Formula 3
4.Formula 3000
5.Superfund thingy by Nissan
6. Formua One

thats just a rough guess in terms of performance and horsepower , but basically is that it ???

P.S and Mr Bob Pearson are you the Bob Pearson from Australia that ran the Pro Duct cars ????
Old 3 Jul 2003, 07:29 (Ref:650467)   #6
Bob Pearson
Veteran

No,
I'm the Bob Pearson from BARC Formula Renault. The idea of goung to Australia in the warm isn't a bad one though.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:03 (Ref:650491)   #7
racingdick
Veteran

Bob..any sign of nicki wilcox in the barc championship this year so far
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:32 (Ref:650515)   #8
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing dick - you never did tell me what Mark Johnston is doing following his Be a grand prix driver run at Monza!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:51 (Ref:650530)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Yes Dick, Nicky was back out for the first time last week at Oulton following his big shunt at Mallory last year. He was testing Friday and did quite a few laps in the rain, but the car let him down in qualifying and the race on the Saturday. He intends doing the rest of the season, so I guess he will be at Snetterton a week this Sunday. Are you a friend of his?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:57 (Ref:650537)   #10
racingdick
Veteran

his dad used to service my car, knew nicki when he was still in karts and keep bumping in to him at various race tracks..

No4, James Crofts hopes to have the budget for mark to do f3 but nothing concrete yet, sorry for the delay. Been on holiday and it was my birthday on monday.

THough between you and me mark had a little more experience than was let on.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 23:09 (Ref:651448)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ok No Probs Bob , just as long as you know that down here in Oz we have a legend of a guy with the same name