Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:46 (Ref:1899414)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMOC Mallory Park 22nd April

Full report to follow, but briefly:

Had a great time (despite no brakes again!) in the 50s Sports Car Team challenge.

Bumped into 2 fellow 10/10thers, Redneck Rocket, and Ian51 (fellow Astro van owner!), and had a great chat/whinge/moan/gossip about Historic Racing in General...

race reports to follow....didn't have time to take any photos!

James
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:19 (Ref:1900837)   #2
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James,

Nice to meet you on the weekend, and I must say, your SZ is a delightfully pretty car, and very well turned out. I've done a report for the thoroughbreds website which I'm happy to post here:

After a healthy turnout at Snetterton, it was slightly disappointing to see just 15 competitors registered for round two on the AMOC card at Mallory Park. A number of championship regulars were notable by their absence, however hopes are high for stronger grids throughout the rest of the season. Nonetheless it was another incident-free round and highly enjoyable for the spectators, in spie of the short entry list.

The Thoroughbreds filed through the paddock to the assembly area for their half-ten qualifying session, where they lined up in proper fashion; door to door in the assembly area. One of the fantastic things about Mallory Park is that unlike some British circuits, it is still a proper club racing circuit where the assembly area is not tucked away out of view to the general public. How fortuitous as well because it was a lovely sight to look out across a sea of bonnets and see a representation the best of British sports cars from the golden age of motoring.

As nice as they looked standing still, cars were built to drive, and racing cars to race and that is how it should be. So in due course, qualifying began and 15 roared out of the collecting area, through the pits and onto the circuit.

At the end of the 15 minutes it was Mike Hazlewood’s class C TR6 on pole with a 54.026, set right at the end of the qualifying session on his 14th lap. Dave McDonald was the only one close to his lap time, and would share the front row of the grid with a time just 3 tenths slower. Bob Lines showed the some of younger chaps a thing or two and set a very quick time of 55.306 in his D-type replica. Fresh from a complete rebuild, Jon Ellison drove carefully but was 4th quickest although his lack of transponder meant he would have to start from the back of the grid. Joe Parrington was next, and quickest in Class B in his Gulf liveried BGTV8. The next 5 competitors were covered by just over 1 second’s difference (Chapman, Connel, Driver, Burnett & Jones), a harbinger of the close and competitive racing to come. Martin Lewis posted a respectable class A time at 59.501.

A post-qualifying walk round the paddock revealed that many competitors were still fettling and fine tuning their cars following off-season jobs, both large and small. Edwin Driver’s TR2 was a welcome sight back in the paddock, having had extensive work over the winter break, not the least of which was a shiny new coat of ‘Rosso Corsa’. He was working hard with a team of helpers to resolve braking issues which had developed as qualifying progressed. A similar hive of activity could be seen around the TR5 of Noel Barraclough, trying to source the cause of a misfire which had severely hampered his qualifying efforts. Jon Ellison’s complete off-season rebuild appeared to have been largely successful, although both he and his father had their hands full as the morning’s qualifying had been the first time out in the car and a few small problems had cropped up. Even series regulars Bob Lines & Colin Jones were struggling to resolve minor coolant and oil leaks respectively.

The start of the race was delayed by a rather heavy impact between a parked-up Sprite and a Healey 3000 in a preceding race(both drivers thankfully uninjured). This led to a lot of pacing and foot tapping in the paddock as it was evident that everyone wanted to ‘get on with it’. Fourteen eventually took the starting grid – Noel Barraclough having withdrawn when he was unable to resolve the misfire that had plagued him in qualifying.

The start was clean, with Mike Hazlewood getting away cleanly, and opening up a gap of several car lengths down Stebbe straight. Not far behind was Dave McDonald, the two TR’s quickly breaking away from the pack and establishing a lead of several seconds. Further back, the group of close qualifiers could have been covered by a blanket, although Driver’s TR2 began to drop down the order as he struggled with boiling brake fluid. For several laps the group of Parrington, Chapman, Connel, Driver, Burnett & Jones were nose to tail and wheel to wheel as they thundered through the Devil’s Elbow, and down the start/finish straight like a squadron of Spitfires flying out over the channel. They were soon joined by a hard-charging Jon Ellison, who had stormed his way through from the back of the grid. Jones held him off for a couple of laps until deciding that discretion was the better part of valour and letting the larger-engined class C car through.

The next few laps saw a number of changes to the running order. Parrington & Connel got past Lines in the Jaguar, and Chapman nearly did as well. His clean move down the inside at Gerrard’s was textbook, but the experienced Lines held the outside line and held him off. Ellison was picking up places steadily, and right on Lines’ tail fin as the race approached half-distance.

Ellison would eventually pass Parrington and Lines, but not Connel who drove a canny race and ended up 3rd. Series newcomer Jeremy Knight showed that the transition from two wheels to four is going well, by moving up two places to finish 9th, and improving his race pace by nearly a second a lap over qualifying.

Further down the grid there was still good entertainment for the crowd with Phillip Lambe & Terence Burrows lapping in close proximity. Lewis & Driver provided some good close racing as well, and ably represented the road-going class A.

In the end, Hazlewood and McDonald both drove professional and mistake-free races, and it was a TR6 1,2 at the front of the grid when the chequered flag was waved after 13 laps of racing. A pretty good day’s racing all in all, summed up by a ringing endorsement from newcomer Terence Burrows: “I thoroughly enjoyed myself out there!!!!”

The next round in two weeks time should see a thicker grid, as Brands Hatch always proves popular with both drivers and spectators alike. Hopefully all niggling problems will be solved by then, and every car will be on song for the Bank holiday weekend. (note - have been informed 28 are registered for Brands since this report was published)
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:20 (Ref:1900839)   #3
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do have some photos/video but they aren't hosted anywhere so not sure how I can post them...
Old 26 Apr 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1900965)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent RR, a proper race report!

Photos - if you trim them and size them, you can upload them to Imageshack.us, 'host' them and download them to here as thumbnails (option 2 of the choices offered). Takes a while I'm afraid but does work.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1900967)   #5
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Cheers John, will try that. I have a full report from round 1 at Snetterton as well but that's more than 2 weeks old so haven't posted it.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1901563)   #6
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umlqulUFgoU

Cars on the way out for qualifying.
Old 2 May 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1905057)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, so have we lost James? Did anyone else go to this meeting? Thoughts, comments?
Old 2 May 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1905209)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did - and if you read the Autosport and MN reports you will know what I thought of it! I sincerely hope that it is the poorest meeting that I attend this season.

Two main negatives were really very poor entry levels - where have all the Astons gone? - and a distinct lack of close racing in the vast majority of the events. A real shame, as I have been to some cracking AMOC race meetings in the past.
Old 2 May 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1905336)   #9
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I did - and if you read the Autosport and MN reports you will know what I thought of it! I sincerely hope that it is the poorest meeting that I attend this season.

Two main negatives were really very poor entry levels - where have all the Astons gone? - and a distinct lack of close racing in the vast majority of the events. A real shame, as I have been to some cracking AMOC race meetings in the past.
I agree Ian. The numbers were awful. Granted I am slightly biased towards the thoroughbreds, but there were a lot of people there who were running in other series that used to run with the thoroughbreds. My thought was - why not combine the BCV8 & Thoroughbreds, or Astons & Thoroughbreds? They're running similar lap times, and it would mean more close racing, as well as twice as much track time for the same entry fees?
Old 2 May 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1905340)   #10
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok, so have we lost James? Did anyone else go to this meeting? Thoughts, comments?
Hi John,

No, you haven't lost me (yet!)

Had the 'week from hell', work-wise, and RR's precis of the meeting was so much better than anything I could have put together that there was little point in trying to follow it!!

It was a well-attended meeting from a spectator point of view, albeit a bit thin on the grids. Mallory is so much more pleasant on a 'civilised' (albeit lightly-attended) AMOC meeting, than being shoe-horned into the usual paddock scrum at a busy meeting e.g. Top Hat!

From a personal 50s Sports Car Team challenge point of view, the teams were slightly down on the end of last season (only 15 starters!) (although i'm sure this will pick up) with a lovely mixture (IMHO) of Aston DB2/4s, a DB3S, DBR1, several lovely AC Aces, Healey 100M, an unusual special-bodied Bristol, plus our three Alfa Giuliettas.

Despite losing one of our team members after practice (his 'super-dooper lightened anti-roll bar' broke in half!), we had a great time in the middle of the field (always gratifying to keep up with cars with much larger engines, but much less agile - Giuliettas are thankfully perfectly-balanced round Gerrards), with the eventual spoils going to the Healey 100M. My race was spoilt by (yet again!) a loss of most of my braking after 3 laps, which caused me a few sphincter-tightening moments at the hairpin, culminating in a spin which let John Bennett in the other Giulietta through.....Gotta get those brakes sorted ASAP!! Somehow we managed to get a second team prize, not sure how! Anyway our next round is at Brands on Monday. Hope I have braking ability then!

Got so flustered trying ot get all my stuff in the van before leaving for Mallory, that i forgot my camera, so no bl**dy photos, I'm afraid...

The Intermarque Championship was the usual mix of the gorgeous, the battered and the downright mental (and that's just the drivers..). After a tussle, victory went to the 'definitely not standard' Tiger of Jackie Cochrane.

Regards,

James

Last edited by John Turner; 3 May 2007 at 08:10.
Old 2 May 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1905343)   #11
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Forgot to say, if there's ANYONE out there with a race-prepared Alfa 1900 or Giulietta, who fancies making up our team numbers, they'll be gratefully received!!

James
Old 3 May 2007, 08:09 (Ref:1905599)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks James; a shame there are no pics! And yes, RR report was great, but I was looking for your comments as a competitor which you have now provided!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman

Ian, I certainly did read your A/S report although had already grasped from KRT, that you were disenchanted with the event? Great shame about the low turn out of cars, especially of Astons, at your 'home' circuit. Let's hope that they pick up during the season as RR has expressed. I wonder what paying spectators thought of all this.
Old 3 May 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1906059)   #13
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi james think we could disguise a Spitfire as an Alfa.

Incidently cant agree enough about the quality of the racing apart from the MG race ,Thoroughbreds,And the race james was in it was a very slow day and the "race" with the three vintage was just a parade the week previous id gone to the Legends day proper racing and enthralling entertainment
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:23 (Ref:2155644)   #14
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great Write-up Redneck (just found it!) here is the race from our 6 (from the back). Jelly.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20917267585712