Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2258948)   #26
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark Petch, who posts in the Australia/NZ forums occasionally, owned and entered the 240T that won the 1985 Australian Touring Car Championship.

Perhaps a PM to him might turn up some info.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2267789)   #27
Herbert
Rookie

Herbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did talk to Heinz-Friedrich Peil recently who raced the Kissling-Volvo in the DTM in 1985 and 1986. He told me they build the car themselves, Kissling did the car and Peil did a lot of the engine work. It was more or less a private effort as opposed to IPS-Volvo of Per Stureson who got a support of Volvo Germany and their Motorsports coordinator Rainer Kühl. The Kissling-Volvo is – if I’m not mistaken – the only 4 door 240. All the works cars had just two doors.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2267847)   #28
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert
I did talk to Heinz-Friedrich Peil recently who raced the Kissling-Volvo in the DTM in 1985 and 1986. He told me they build the car themselves, Kissling did the car and Peil did a lot of the engine work. It was more or less a private effort as opposed to IPS-Volvo of Per Stureson who got a support of Volvo Germany and their Motorsports coordinator Rainer Kühl. The Kissling-Volvo is – if I’m not mistaken – the only 4 door 240. All the works cars had just two doors.
Thanks Herbert- that's interesting...

I hadn't realised there was a 4-door version raced- as you said, it's probably the only one. I wonder why they went the 4-door route? If it was an in-house Kissling project with no support from Volvo, maybe they had difficulty obtaining a 2-door shell for some reason?
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2267963)   #29
Herbert
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Thanks Herbert- that's interesting...

I hadn't realised there was a 4-door version raced- as you said, it's probably the only one. I wonder why they went the 4-door route? If it was an in-house Kissling project with no support from Volvo, maybe they had difficulty obtaining a 2-door shell for some reason?

Yes, that's exactly what Peil told me. They used the 4-door version because it was too difficult to get the 2-door shell. Oh by the way I just looked up my notes and I mixed some things up: Peil built up the car and Kissling did the engine tuning...
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2267986)   #30
Herbert
Rookie

I also talked to Rainer Kühl and how the Volvos came to Germany in the first place. The organiser of the DTM race at Mainz-Finthen wanted the works cars from the ETCC for his race in 1984 as guest starters. He was a Volvo enthusiast. He talked to Volvo Germany and Kühl who then contacted Bo Wikås in Sweden. But the Volvo race director told them it's not possible that the works cars could race at Mainz-Finthen, but he suggested to contact the private IPS team of Per Stureson and Ingmar Persson. Stureson then took part in the race and totally crushed the German regulars. He beat them by more than 30 sec.
After his success Stureson took part in some more races in 1984. At the Noriring he qualified in pole, but retired after just two laps becuse of gearbox problems. He struggeled at little bit at Hockenheim, but at the last race of the season at the Nürburgring Stureson was again on pole, but only finished the race in seventh place. After this promising beginning he commited for the whole season in 1985 and won the title.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2268417)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Herbert, thanks for the info, and it looks like you've already posted info that will answer my question in the Merc thread!

Following on then, how did the IPS deal to run 190's instead of the 240 Volvo's come about?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2268474)   #32
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert
I also talked to Rainer Kühl and how the Volvos came to Germany in the first place. The organiser of the DTM race at Mainz-Finthen wanted the works cars from the ETCC for his race in 1984 as guest starters. He was a Volvo enthusiast. He talked to Volvo Germany and Kühl who then contacted Bo Wikås in Sweden. But the Volvo race director told them it's not possible that the works cars could race at Mainz-Finthen, but he suggested to contact the private IPS team of Per Stureson and Ingmar Persson. Stureson then took part in the race and totally crushed the German regulars. He beat them by more than 30 sec.
After his success Stureson took part in some more races in 1984. At the Noriring he qualified in pole, but retired after just two laps becuse of gearbox problems. He struggeled at little bit at Hockenheim, but at the last race of the season at the Nürburgring Stureson was again on pole, but only finished the race in seventh place. After this promising beginning he commited for the whole season in 1985 and won the title.
Brilliant stuff Herbert- I'd wondered about the number of Volvos that appeared in Germany, particularly the contrast between that and the total absence of them in the BTCC, as discussed earlier in the thread
Old 13 Aug 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2268676)   #33
Herbert
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Herbert, thanks for the info, and it looks like you've already posted info that will answer my question in the Merc thread!

Following on then, how did the IPS deal to run 190's instead of the 240 Volvo's come about?
I don`t have access to all of my literature but I assume that IPS needed a different car after the 1987 season, because the Volvo just wasn`t competitive anymore. So for 1988 they entered two 190 for Stureson and Siggi Müller jr. (who currently works as team manager at the F3 team HBR Motorsport). They also planned to add their 1987 driver Anders Lindberg later that year, but it never happened.
After the 1987 season the team was sold to Günter Schons (Schons already was involved with IPS since mid 1985 as Team Manager) und Jochen Mass. It became MS Racing. I'm not sure what happend to Persson in the following years. I have to look it up. I only have access to the old DTM Media Guides at the moment and Persson isn`t mentioned till 1992. In 1992 the team moved to new premises in which it is still today with Persson at the helm who bought out Schons at the end of 1992.
Old 23 May 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2467834)   #34
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two ex-factory cars raced in Portugal from 1985, one to Antonio Rodrigues and another to Artur Mendes.

I have the cars as:

a) the Mendes car was the '84 Zolder ETC winner.

b) the Rodrigues car finished the same race in the third position. The problem is that the third on that race was a Jaguar not a Volvo.

Any comments?

Regards
Luis
Old 23 May 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2467838)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The '84 Zolder winner was Ulf Granberg's Luna car, not a full works car IIRC?

The other one (not a Jag as you say!!! ) must've been Thomas Lindstrom's black 240T? His was the only other competitive Volvo in the '84 ETC.
Old 24 May 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2467919)   #36
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The other one (not a Jag as you say!!! ) must've been Thomas Lindstrom's black 240T? His was the only other competitive Volvo in the '84 ETC.

It makes sense. The Rodrigues car was black. The Mendes car was white.
What chassis numbers might be?

Regards
Luis
Old 24 May 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2468395)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post

Regards
Luis
Luis i've got no idea, i'm sorry, sure someone can help though?
Old 4 Nov 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2575712)   #38
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
VolvoGroupA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post

Regards
Luis
Hi Luis,

The one car the Rodrigues raced in 1985 and still today, is in fact the former the black Thomas Lindström Volvo that finished in 5th place in the Zolder 84's race and where the former Luna-Volvo that Mendes have today won that race. And both Rodrigues and Mendes got the cars in 1985.

Regards
Björn
Old 4 Nov 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2575910)   #39
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a few detailed photos I took of the RAS 242 Turbo at the Silverstone ETCC race circa 1986 I think. I recall being shouted at when I was found by the team virtually under the car taking photos of the suspension! Would anyone be interested in seeing them? I can't post them for a while though, as I need to buy a new scanner.

I was heavily into Volvo 4 cylinder turbo engines and 240's for some years.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2576285)   #40
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
I have a few detailed photos I took of the RAS 242 Turbo at the Silverstone ETCC race circa 1986 I think. I recall being shouted at when I was found by the team virtually under the car taking photos of the suspension! Would anyone be interested in seeing them? I can't post them for a while though, as I need to buy a new scanner.

Hi Chris, Yes please, I'm sure we'd be interested whenever you get a chance to scan them.... As I think I've said before in the thread, the Volvos were always the Group A cars I knew least about at the time- they always seemed that bit more exotic because we only ever saw them when the European teams came over for the ETCC rounds.

I'm not surprised the RAS guys weren't too happy about someone with a camera taking such a close interest in the cars- didn't they lose a couple of results that year because of something dodgy on the car?(illegal fuel I think, rather than the actual car itself being bent) They probably thought you were working for Tom Walkinshaw....

Last edited by KA; 5 Nov 2009 at 11:28.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2580217)   #41
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:

Hi Chris,

Since I have the Volvo group-A page Im more than interested to see them! So just e-mail when you have scan the pics,
bjorn.ohlson@240grupp-a.se.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2589251)   #42
Blue Oval Boy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blue Oval Country (Essex)
Blue Oval Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I helped look after Antonia Rodrigues car at Villa Real, Portugal for 1 event in '86 or so. The main issue with it was fitting the water injection system that had been sent over from Sweden, I cannot recall if it already had the system and I was upgrading or repairing it, or it was a new fitment for the event. In any case, Antonio won, by some distance, from a field that included a M635 BMW amongst others. I'll try to find the press cuttings from portugal.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2589732)   #43
KA
Veteran

Eggenberger Volvo at the '85 TT. Brancatelli/Lindstrom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1202143...7622659048123/

Last edited by KA; 26 Nov 2009 at 15:59. Reason: wrong link
Old 5 Feb 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2627190)   #44
KA
Veteran

...and one for the model collectors amongst us- AutoArt 1/18 scale RAS Sport 240 Turbo, apparently a new release for 2010
http://www.marckwort.de/Nuern10AAracing/06.jpg
Old 5 Feb 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2627230)   #45
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGroupA View Post
Hi Chris,

Since I have the Volvo group-A page Im more than interested to see them! So just e-mail when you have scan the pics,
bjorn.ohlson@240grupp-a.se.
Haven't forgotten, I am watching this thread, I will have to get a new scanner, what I thought was a driver problem turns out to be mechanical.
Old 8 Feb 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2628934)   #46
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
...and one for the model collectors amongst us- AutoArt 1/18 scale RAS Sport 240 Turbo, apparently a new release for 2010
http://www.marckwort.de/Nuern10AAracing/06.jpg
Yepp thats right! I've been cooperating with AUTOart since last year in the progress of this very 1/18 model. And I must say that the details are very impressive! Nothing is forgotten!

http://www.240grupp-a.se/baxodesign/report.JPG (German report about the Volvo model, my name is mentioned under the pics down to the left)

Where did you get that photo btw of the model?
Old 8 Feb 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2628937)   #47
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Haven't forgotten, I am watching this thread, I will have to get a new scanner, what I thought was a driver problem turns out to be mechanical.
Hey Chris!

Thats sounds good, hope you will solve this mechanical problem soon then so I can enjoy watching some good Volvo photos!
Old 8 Feb 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2629186)   #48
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
, what I thought was a driver problem turns out to be mechanical.
LOL thats my favorite excuse too.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2630075)   #49
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGroupA View Post
Yepp thats right! I've been cooperating with AUTOart since last year in the progress of this very 1/18 model. And I must say that the details are very impressive! Nothing is forgotten!

http://www.240grupp-a.se/baxodesign/report.JPG (German report about the Volvo model, my name is mentioned under the pics down to the left)

Where did you get that photo btw of the model?
Oops-a-daisy. There's a German flag next to Lindstrom's name on the car and a Swedish flag next to Cecotto's...

Looks like the details aren't that impressive after all.

Last edited by chunterer; 12 Feb 2010 at 20:38.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2631326)   #50
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat View Post
Oops-a-daisy. There's a German flag next to Lindstrom's name on the car and a Swedish flag next to Cecotto's...

Looks like the details aren't that impressive after all.
I take it that you don't know German? This model is the prototype model, so I guess you just were bored and didnt got any thing better to do then to complain. Well if you are going to make that kind of comments, keep them to your self cause no one wants to hear about it...

Last edited by chunterer; 12 Feb 2010 at 20:40.

Tags
eggenberger, etcc, group a, ras sport, ulf granberg, volvo 240t