Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Apr 2015, 08:17 (Ref:3525668)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Downright Dangerous Safety Features in Modern Cars

This eye watering news brought to you by TopGear!

Brake pedal disappears in emergency stop, courtesy of Suzuki!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZuKiJtbDw

at 22 mins 44 secs

Very good episode of TopGear actually, one of their best.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3525699)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pulling the pedals away in the event of a crash makes sense... but not during hard stops... would be great on a track day...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Apr 2015, 10:19 (Ref:3526000)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I know it's not quite what you're looking for in terms of thread content, but by far and away the worst thing about modern cars is the lack of visibility. Legislation has forced designers and engineers to construct cars in such a way that they have to incorporate umpteen airbags and rollcage capabilities, thus reducing window area to almost a minimum.

Add to that the head restraints on the top of seat-backs, and a driver is basically cocooned in safety, but unable to see all around him. Anyone who drives a classic car will know what I'm talking about - the view from within something from the 60s is like sitting in a greenhouse. Given the chance, I'd tick an "option" box when buying a car to have no safety, and more glass, and take the personal risk. I can't see insurance companies agreeing to that, unfortunately.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3526107)   #4
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Add to that the head restraints on the top of seat-backs, and a driver is basically cocooned in safety, but unable to see all around him. Anyone who drives a classic car will know what I'm talking about - the view from within something from the 60s is like sitting in a greenhouse. Given the chance, I'd tick an "option" box when buying a car to have no safety, and more glass, and take the personal risk. I can't see insurance companies agreeing to that, unfortunately.
I understand what you mean. I had a 1970 Ford Capri many years ago and the only thing limited visibility was the long bonnet. Since it was very low-to-the ground, the bonnet was almost pointing upwards. Otherwise, visibility to left and right was really good. Capri is not a so called hardtop but still the B-pillar was very thin, no need to bend forward when you do 90 degree turns.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3526980)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I know it's not quite what you're looking for in terms of thread content, but by far and away the worst thing about modern cars is the lack of visibility. Legislation has forced designers and engineers to construct cars in such a way that they have to incorporate umpteen airbags and rollcage capabilities, thus reducing window area to almost a minimum.
could not agree more. if i had a penny for the number of times a car, an actual full car had been concealed at junctions by the combination of slight forward motion on my behalf and the huge windscreen/door pillar combination... i've had motorbikes and pushbikes in exactly the same spot too. what are we meant to do, gain x-ray vision?
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:35 (Ref:3526983)   #6
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electric handbrakes!!

I've lost count of the number of times where broken down cars have been left striken in the middle of the road due to the electric hand brake not being able to be released. Apart from the obvious possibility of being rear ended it also causes enormous congestion as the plastic police guys can't just push the car off the carriageway - the congestion usually increases the likelyhood of further accidents.

PS - I always thought that the handbrake was supposed to be a mechanical device which could be used in emergencies, the mechanical aspect being tested during the MOT - how do electric h/b comply?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3526985)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
could not agree more. if i had a penny for the number of times a car, an actual full car had been concealed at junctions by the combination of slight forward motion on my behalf and the huge windscreen/door pillar combination... i've had motorbikes and pushbikes in exactly the same spot too. what are we meant to do, gain x-ray vision?
Actually bella...
I've seen a video showing a system being developed by Jaguar (and this wasn't on April 1st) that used a combination of external camera's and LED screens built into the windscreen & door pillars to effectively give you complete 180° vision as what was hidden behind the blind spot is actually 'displayed' on the screen & door pillars!
Old 13 Apr 2015, 12:30 (Ref:3527000)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All of the above, especially the EuroNCAP door pillars, plus .... amongst other things

Blacked out windows.
Smaller and smaller windows.
Wider and wider vehicles.
Huge door mirrors.
Taller passenger vehicles.
No windows in vans.

All of which greatly reduce one's ability to see what is going on several vehicles ahead and drive accordingly or make safe maneouvres when pulling out of junctions or parking, etc.

Plus the darkened interiors and very sloped and curved screens make it almost impossible to make eye contact with or even see the driver of an approaching car and so judge what they might do next.

"The Authorities" like this on the basis that most people, in the absence of instruction and certainty, will apply greater caution. Or so the belief goes.

They may be right but we will never know with any degree of certainty.

Once autonomous self driving cars arrive it won't matter anyway.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 15:46 (Ref:3527094)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the things I am seeing with all the latest radar, laser, camera, whatever it might be systems that are oriented towards crash avoidance and staying in lanes or whatever is that now there are so many beeps, buzzers and lights going off that it's becoming more a hindrance and a distraction than a help. And I think people are becoming overly dependent on them to the point of paying even less attention to driving.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 04:06 (Ref:3527829)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Electric handbrakes!!

I've lost count of the number of times where broken down cars have been left striken in the middle of the road due to the electric hand brake not being able to be released. Apart from the obvious possibility of being rear ended it also causes enormous congestion as the plastic police guys can't just push the car off the carriageway - the congestion usually increases the likelyhood of further accidents.

PS - I always thought that the handbrake was supposed to be a mechanical device which could be used in emergencies, the mechanical aspect being tested during the MOT - how do electric h/b comply?
Agreed 100%!!!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 00:07 (Ref:3528388)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Electric handbrakes!!

Yup, and what gives me the complete set of the willies is that these manufacturers also give us electric steering!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 06:17 (Ref:3528423)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've never had or seen a problem with an electronic handbrake. Other than not knowing where it was at first in an unfamiliar car.

Also I see the mention of huge door mirrors. Apart from being unsightly I like a good useful mirror, I like to know what's going on around.

Of course the most dangerous feature of any car is, to steal the well used phrase, the nut behind the wheel.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 08:09 (Ref:3528436)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I've never had or seen a problem with an electronic handbrake. Other than not knowing where it was at first in an unfamiliar car.

Also I see the mention of huge door mirrors. Apart from being unsightly I like a good useful mirror, I like to know what's going on around.

Of course the most dangerous feature of any car is, to steal the well used phrase, the nut behind the wheel.
Anything mechanical can go wrong. Something that is electro-mechanical is even more likely to go wrong!
Usually the mechanisms are underneath the car and get bombarded with all the crud & water available, not good for electrics. Quite often when they go faulty, they don't release (which is somewhat inconvenient) and when the 'emergency release' cable is pulled, this kills the device and the 'safety systems; in the vehicle prevent you still from driving it because it thinks that the handbrake is still on! This means that you then have the expense of having your vehicle recovered to a garage before you can have the pleasure of paying hundreds of pounds to have the unit replaced, knowing in the back of your mind that if the original one has only lasted five years (for example) it's fair to assume that the replacement will not last any longer...
Old 18 Apr 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3528437)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Downright Dangerous Safety Features in Modern Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Anything mechanical can go wrong. Something that is electro-mechanical is even more likely to go wrong!

Such logic, I shall stop using cars and toasters.

I speak only from my experience.
Quite often it has been fine.

FWIW the last car I bought has a conventional handbrake, which that and the other back to basics, are why I bought it.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3528441)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Such logic, I shall stop using cars and toasters.

I speak only from my experience.
Quite often it has been fine.

FWIW the last car I bought has a conventional handbrake, which that and the other back to basics, are why I bought it.
Hi Adam, when electronic parking brakes have been around as long as toasters, they might be as reliable. (Having said that, our toaster generally needs three or four presses before it stays down. I think I'll have to dig out the old toasting fork and get the fire lit!)

I speak from experience too, but thankfully for me, it is from the experience of my customers who have had electronic handbrake problems.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3528442)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

So are you benefiting from the hundreds of pounds to fix the problem?

Old 18 Apr 2015, 09:52 (Ref:3528449)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adam, there are many well documented cases, certainly in the UK, where electronic "handbrakes" have self activated. In fact, there was a fairly recent reality documentary series on the TV following the motorway police, and one of the programmes actually featured a nearly brand new Range Rover with a female driver stuck in the fast lane of the M1 motorway. Apparently she was driving along at the legal speed limit of 70 mph when the handbrake just came on, bringing the car to a hasty stop during one of the busiest times of the day.

It caused a massive tailback, and they had to wait until a recovery vehicle arrived to drag it up on to the flat-bed. The officers read through the index of the driver's manual to find a way to release the brakes, but mention of that there was none.

On a personal not, I have had to hire a few cars over the last couple of years, and a number of them had electronic handbrakes, and I must admit that I don't like them especially on uphill, slippery surfaces such as roads covered in snow and ice. Unfortunately, I happen to live in one of the most hilly places in the UK, up on the Pennines, and if we don't have snow and ice it must be our one day of summer!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3528522)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:

So are you benefiting from the hundreds of pounds to fix the problem?

Sadly Adam, not as much as BMW and Ford benefitted in selling us the unitso repair their vehicles!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3528523)   #19
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have experience in three cars (+one rental car) with electronic handbrake (Citroen C5, 2 Volvo V60's and Audi A5) and I can't remember any problems related to the hand brake.

Though I still think there was nothing wrong in general with a mechanical hand brake so why fix it if it's not broken? Well of course, mechanical handbrake can cause some embarrassing situations on your driveway if you don't remember to release it, especially with a manual transmission. And when there's no handbrake handle between the front seats, there's more room for cd-boxes and cup holders.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 18 Apr 2015 at 15:50.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3528570)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Within the last 2 days was a story about a lady who, apparently, inadvertently locked her Land Rover (?) vehicle with the keys and an 8 month old baby inside it.

How is that possible in this century?

Assuming it was not user stupidity on a grand scale - like giving the keyfob to the infant to play with - how do the designers manage to produce such a situation? (With idiot slightly older children and buttons to push I can allow them some leeway, but not an 8 month old child and a mother of unstated (AFAIK) age.

If they can come up with such a plan for door locks one has to question what they might allow for any other components based on having electrical power available and deployable.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3528574)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The most dangerous element in road cars are the drivers.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:14 (Ref:3529524)   #22
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The most dangerous element in road cars are the drivers.
Yeah, but how do you re-engineer one of them driver things?

A good slap in the side of the head frequently offends!
Old 7 May 2015, 23:05 (Ref:3535294)   #23
wnut
Veteran

Here is one that happened to me in a Golf yesterday!
The clutch pedal just dropped away to the floor, so flat that it had literally vanished, it felt like it had dropped right through the metal.
It was very disorientating, and I instinctively "looked" for the vanished pedal with my left foot and ended up tapping the brakes, fortunately only momentarily, or else there could have been a massive tailgating!

Long and the short is that VW have built a little pocket on the side of the pedal to contain the master cylinder activation rod, from what I can make out is the pocket is designed to fail in the event of impact. The pocket is however too delicate or badly constructed to withstand daily use, and failed allowing the activation rod to go straight past the pedal through the back of the pocket. Bang clutch pedal vanishes - very disconcerting!

Very, very dangerous!

How many accidents has this caused?

Bit of an irony after I posted the Suzuki pedals vanishing drama!
Old 13 May 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3536988)   #24
wnut
Veteran

Your airbag could kill you with shrapnel!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ecall-in-japan

"Six fatalities in Honda cars, including five in the U.S. and one in Malaysia, have been blamed on shrapnel from Takata air bags. At least 105 injuries are connected to the flaw, U.S. Senator Bill Nelson said last month."
Old 13 May 2015, 10:46 (Ref:3537030)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New European Ford Focus has the usual sensors that read the traffic ahead and what not. It has 2 systems for stopping you rear ending another car - one which will do an emergency stop should it feel that you're about to hit the car in front. The other seems a bit more dangerous - the car does not automatically brake but will produce a beep and flash up on the dashboard that you're about to have a crash.

To me, that just says that you'll be looking at the dashboard at a critical moment, rather than at the road.