Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2283617)   #101
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze

Why wasn't whatshisname punished for his involvement in the Webber incident? :/
He was. Heikki was given a drive through penalty.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2283618)   #102
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it's got me dumfounded. I thought the Hamilton move was fair enough, Kimi held onto his line, which he was entitled to, which put Lewis out wide giving him an advantage and first place. Crucially however he allowed Kimi back in front so why the penalty. Martin Blundel suggested that it may be because he still had an advantage after he had let Kimi past due to his greater momentum. So if they had got around the hairpin with Kimi in the lead and he then subsequently lost it, would there still have been a penalty. It really doesn't matter who you are a fan of, it's unsatisfactory and smacks of championship management. You have to feel sorry for Kimi really as he is the big looser having gone off fighting for the lead against Lewis when in reality he was not the leader. Retrospective penalties make a mockery of the sport.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2283619)   #103
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think we need a poll for that ensign14.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2283620)   #104
Spawinte
Rookie

Ireland
Dundalk, Ireland
Spawinte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
'turning in on him' - you really need to watch the video. Hamilton was well behind after the first corner of the chicane and never went close to the 2nd corner as he was cutting it!

And the FIA is biased? lols
I have watched the video. The video clearly shows Hamilton level, dropping back a little as Kimi turns in and then having to jerk left to stop from walloping the side of Kimis car. When he comes back on the track he does not blast away. He allows Kimi to regain his "advantage" and then passes him again fairly.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2283621)   #105
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Ultimately we now have a situation whereby a driver who couldn't live with his team-mate or his title rival on the day, has walked away with the spoils. Obviousy, rules are there for a reason, but there should have to be a major transgression of the rules for a driver to be stripped of his win, and today that wasn't the case.
Sums it up perfectly.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2283622)   #106
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Guys, try and be impartial for a second and ignore Hamilton's 'moral' victory ...

... I've checked the video and Hamilton did not allow even a single car length between him and Kimi ... had he followed Kimi through the chicane it would probably have been several lengths by the end of the straight.

Is that not an advantage?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2283623)   #107
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew Hamilton would be penalised. There was something about his body language in the press conference, that didn't look right to me. He let KR through but I wasn't convinced that he had done it well enough, if you know what I mean.

Well for all the disillusioned amongst you, Stoke City are playing Everton at the same time as the Italian Grand Prix next week.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2283626)   #108
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
He was. Heikki was given a drive through penalty.
Yep I know ta. Go back half an hour and a few pages:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Actually, he got a drive through didn't he? I forgot that one, my mistake, sorry!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2283628)   #109
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a joke!
we all need to write to as many publications as possible and get our dis-approval in there letter pages
maybe the FIA think that everyone wants Ferrari to win the championship, the FIA do!
Utter bias
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2283630)   #110
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pay attention everybody, you can discuss and make any statement BUT DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER OR YOU'LL BE WARNED.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2283631)   #111
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawinte
I have watched the video. The video clearly shows Hamilton level, dropping back a little as Kimi turns in and then having to jerk left to stop from walloping the side of Kimis car. When he comes back on the track he does not blast away. He allows Kimi to regain his "advantage" and then passes him again fairly.
You deserve a medal for being Hamilton's biggest fan ... but I'm afraid your interpretation will never agree with mine. Kimi had track position, Lewis should have fallen in behind and made the chicane. He'd probably have 10 points had he done just that. Instead he has 6.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2283634)   #112
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this decision isn't reversed then I've just about had it with F1. I've been watching it for over 30 years but there's only so much bullsh@t I can take. 2 drivers gave their all, 1 crashed & the other deservedly won.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2283635)   #113
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
oh, its a close run thing here Bononi
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2283637)   #114
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unbelievable outcome. In any form of racing if you cut a corner but then let the other car back by then all is OK and forgotten about.

I had a bad feeling after Heikki Kovalainen was handed his drive through within about half a lap of commiting his 'offence'..
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2283641)   #115
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Anyone think we need a poll here ? I suggest we start an organized thread against the decision and think a way to get it into the FIA.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2283644)   #116
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Still; Its saved a major headache decision at Ferrari. At least they now know which driver to throw their weight behind for the WDC. I had a feeling they couldnt make that decision on their own
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2283646)   #117
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Unbelievable outcome. In any form of racing if you cut a corner but then let the other car back by then all is OK and forgotten about.
It's not just other forms of racing. It's like that in F1 too, with three exceptions:

1) You are driving a McLaren
2) The other car is a Ferrari
3) Both of the above
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2283648)   #118
Spawinte
Rookie

Ireland
Dundalk, Ireland
Spawinte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Pay attention everybody, you can discuss and make any statement BUT DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER OR YOU'LL BE WARNED.
*Puts down pitchfork*
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2283649)   #119
hitchcockm00
Racer

England
Exeter
hitchcockm00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No way, what else was Hamilton supposed to do other than cut the corner? He let Raikkonen back past and then out-braked him into the first corner, nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2283650)   #120
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No way. This is not freakin IndyCar... let them race for God's sake.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2283651)   #121
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah funny how McLaren get penalties within 30secs but Ferrari get theres discussed over a glass of wine a few hours later..

Anyway Heikki did actually hit the Moron in the Red Bull so probably a bit more obvious penalty
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2283652)   #122
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cruise Missile?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2283656)   #123
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
You deserve a medal for being Hamilton's biggest fan ... but I'm afraid your interpretation will never agree with mine. Kimi had track position, Lewis should have fallen in behind and made the chicane. He'd probably have 10 points had he done just that. Instead he has 6.
It all depends on where you expect the overtake to take place, if anywhere before turn-in, Hamilton was out front but not on the racing line. He tried to take a wider line (obviously allowed to do), found that there was a whopping great red thing in front of his line, so took to the escape road. A legitimate manouvere as long as he did not gain advantage, which he did. Precedent (a lot of our laws are based on precedent) dictates that if the advantage is handed back to the driver/victim then the move will go unpunished.
He did that, and Raikonnen's car was actually in front of Lewis' down the straight, meaning that either he had a suitable gap behind him, or they were travelling at the same speed. Where's the advantage?

(BTW, I'm not a Lewis fanboy, I love the sport)
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2283657)   #124
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2283660)   #125
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. If this decision stands, I'm done with F1 after Monza.