Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2283714)   #151
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand this penalty. Especially if I remember Massa not getting any penalty for his unsafe behaviour in the pits two weeks ago.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2283715)   #152
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
re: benchmarks. It would be impossible for the driver to make that judgement - ie how much to let the car back.

LH was clear behind KR after letting him past (so he MUST have slowed)

I fail to see how that is gaining an advantage - unless you count just being better than the other driver in the conditions. Or driving a silver car.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2283718)   #153
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe-maker
The next race is only a week away. I wonder if they'll have the matter sorted by then.
Well, it's Monza, so Lewis's 25 sec penalty will probably be increased on a appeal to a 2 race ban and lifetime 5 place grid penalty.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2283721)   #154
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
If that is true then it makes you wonder how the same race director who Oked the move with McLaren then went to the stewards after the race and reported it to them ?

http://www.fia.com/belgiumgp/documen...ocument_49.pdf
I think it is perfectly normal that the race director goes to the stewards for the wrap-up of the race.....should happen at each race.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2283722)   #155
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick question (and please be objective/impartial, no 'Ferrari bias' stuff)

Who actually makes the decision to apply a penalty? Are there separate stewards for each race which only work at that particular race (and then the FIA is the official 'appeals board'), or is it one set that the FIA assigns to all Grands Prix?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2283723)   #156
John Robinson
Rookie

John Robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Farcical.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2283725)   #157
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to itvsport.com, McLaren radioed Lewis to let Kimi back past him. They then asked Charlie Whiting if that would be OK, and he replied, not being a steward, that they would probably get away with it.

Can't wait to see what sort of penalties are handed out at Monza!

Last edited by White flag man; 7 Sep 2008 at 17:52.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2283727)   #158
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If a car follows another along a straight following an incident and the one behind is the one supposedly to have gained an advantage then surely honours are even. It seems though that there has to be a certain distance. That is an absurdity because it cannot be measured by the participants.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2283728)   #159
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44
Just a quick question (and please be objective/impartial, no 'Ferrari bias' stuff)

Who actually makes the decision to apply a penalty? Are there separate stewards for each race which only work at that particular race (and then the FIA is the official 'appeals board'), or is it one set that the FIA assigns to all Grands Prix?
There used to be stewards at each course, but the FIA introduced a rovving panel to make the sport more consistent (not neccessarily more 'fair')
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2283729)   #160
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
I think it is perfectly normal that the race director goes to the stewards for the wrap-up of the race.....should happen at each race.
and report an incident that he is happy about......his report must take longer than the races
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2283730)   #161
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, not fair. To put it mildly.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2283731)   #162
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
I don't understand this penalty. Especially if I remember Massa not getting any penalty for his unsafe behaviour in the pits two weeks ago.
Yet Bruno Senna DID for the Same thing in the Feature GP2 Race on Saturday. Wake up FIAt (owners of Ferrari)
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2283733)   #163
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the FIA is biased. Remember Schumacher's penalty in Monaco 2006. Remember the 2003 rule changes. The FIA is an organization with incompetence and is only interested in making the championship artificially entertaining.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2283734)   #164
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Been overtaken and overtaken others on that line. It isn't that difficult. However if you want to defend then it is easier to do it from the inside of the first part.
I would expect the nature of the cars involved to make a difference.
Quote:
So, if I understand everyone, we are now really discussing how much a driver should drop back before it becomes a legitimate "give"? Never heard of anything so absurd in my life.
I don't see why it should be so absurd. There has to be a definition of a legitimate "give", otherwise why have the rule in the first place?

Anyway, I have had my say and if you disagree, that's fine. It's your opinion. This thread seems to be generating way too much heat.

FWIW, I'm glad McLaren have appealed.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2283736)   #165
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This penalty is ridiculous. There is no consistency with previous incidents. If this was Fisichella battling Sutil, no enquiry would even be made.

So it makes you wonder why the penalty has been applied. The only reason I can think of is if the stewards have looked at Hamilton's telemetry which will tell them whether or not he lifted his foot off the throttle slightly down the straight.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2283737)   #166
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
re: benchmarks. It would be impossible for the driver to make that judgement - ie how much to let the car back.

LH was clear behind KR after letting him past (so he MUST have slowed)

I fail to see how that is gaining an advantage - unless you count just being better than the other driver in the conditions. Or driving a silver car.
The rule says that you cannot gain an advantage from "cutting corners". So somebody must have thought out what an "advantage" would have been in this case (or in any case for that matter). Without such a consideration/benchmark the rule becomes very difficult to enforce.
When I saw things unfolding I thought that the way Hamilton got behind and immediately in front again was in for some debate. However, if Hamilton had just kept his cool, and, knowing from the way he had gained time on Raikonen during the previous lap, he could have simply stayed behind him at La Source, and probably at the Raidillon he would have already taken him, or latest at the end of the straight.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2283741)   #167
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a 'give' should be dropping the tip of your car behind the rearmost point of the others' car. It makes sense that way, and is measurable by the stewards and drivers.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2283742)   #168
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is if the cars go past a spot with the "advantaged car" behind. Which was the case. It shouldn't matter how much space there is between them. If it does then you've got the absurdity because you cannot legislate for the distance.

FWIW neither driver was wrong, it was racing.
I'd agree with every word of that.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2283744)   #169
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What is the betting that it will go to the court of appeal, but they will only decide whether or not McLaren have the right to appeal a 'drive through penalty'?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2283749)   #170
Clunk or Zilly
Rookie

Scotland
Mornington Crescent
Clunk or Zilly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone explain to a non F1 fan how this alleged sport is umpired in a fair & consistent manner ? No, thought not.
From my recollection LH & KR both took evasive action to avoid a Williams, Lewis cut the chicane & let KR re take the lead.
Any penalty against Lewis merely reinforces the suggestion that FIA may actually stand for Fiddled It Again.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2283750)   #171
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70404

The last paragraph is the get out clause for the FIAt
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2283751)   #172
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefarny
I think a 'give' should be dropping the tip of your car behind the rearmost point of the others' car. It makes sense that way, and is measurable by the stewards and drivers.
I think dropping back to the place where the car would have been if it had followed the "correct" track is more appropriate, but also more difficult to establish.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2283752)   #173
hitchcockm00
Racer

England
Exeter
hitchcockm00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
The only reason I can think of is if the stewards have looked at Hamilton's telemetry which will tell them whether or not he lifted his foot off the throttle slightly down the straight.
Apparently he did lift and was 6 kph slower over the start/finish line
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2283755)   #174
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO

b) Stay straight across onto the small patch of grass at the apex. We all know what happens when slicks hit wet grass, don't we? Hamilton would havebeen launched up and slid across the apex to tee-bone the Ferrari on the exit-both cars out.
The 'grass' is actualy concrete painted green, and is quite a bit higher than the kerb beside it. You would not intentionaly drive over it.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2283758)   #175
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Should the other teams bother turning up to monza? If they are not going to be given the chance to win why would they bother?
Closed Thread