Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Sep 2002, 21:36 (Ref:376922)   #1
LSM
Rookie

LSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004 ALMS rule changes

Does anyone have an idea of what the rule changes may be for the 2004 ALMS series. I havent seen any info on this subject and was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction for some info.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 21:57 (Ref:376948)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I belive that they are going to be in line with the ACO/FIA rules which come into force in 2004, no one has yet seen the rules as they are still being discuessed
Old 10 Sep 2002, 00:06 (Ref:377021)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
dailysportscar has said that Piper engineering is getting close to releasing their aero study for FIA. They should have some good input on these rules.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 10 Sep 2002, 05:04 (Ref:377073)   #4
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new rules (ACO/FIA) will (should) be out sometime this fall. At least that is the proposed timeline, albeit without any certain deadline.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 07:37 (Ref:377118)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
dailysportscar has said that Piper engineering is getting close to releasing their aero study for FIA. They should have some good input on these rules.
And I am keeping my fingers crossed that we won't end up with something like the wooden plank in F1...
Old 10 Sep 2002, 16:25 (Ref:377487)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I've read they will roughly be as follows:-

10% power reduction - An Audi R8 will produce about 600BHP rather than the current 659+BHP.

Venturies to prevent flipping at high speed, will create undercar downforce

Smaller rear wings

Reduced overhangs.

Equalisation between LMP and LMGTP in power and tires. The indication is that coupes will be the way to go.

My vision of the cars is that they will be like streamliners creating most of the downforce under the car. I personally can't wait to see a new generation of coupes.

LMP675 will become LMP 725/750 to reduce there fuel/tire advantage.

We will see at Petit Le Mans if the rumours are true.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 17:12 (Ref:377506)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG

LMP675 will become LMP 725/750 to reduce there fuel/tire advantage.

625/650?
Old 10 Sep 2002, 19:54 (Ref:377598)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparantley 725/750 to stop them competing for overall wins. Engines, chassis will styay the same according to those involved. The 'new' Reynard will compete in LMP675 and LMP900 as a YGK. Don'y know if the MG could run in LMP900.

Lola are making a new LMP900 for 2004
Old 10 Sep 2002, 20:57 (Ref:377625)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
10% power reduction - An Audi R8 will produce about 600BHP rather than the current 659+BHP.
They are getting weaker, and weaker, and weaker...
Old 10 Sep 2002, 22:22 (Ref:377712)   #10
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Yea, I don't like the sound of that either cyber. But...if they create more downforce perhaps they will be quicker, if not 'faster'. Perhaps better geared towards the ALMS sprint races during the season.

I dunno...I just want to see some more GTP's again.

How exactly does this direction effect the Bentley? If much at all.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 22:58 (Ref:377732)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

Don't forget the rules are for the next 5 years. In that time the development of the engines will mean they will soon be reaching and maybe even exceeding the power levels they now reach. The rules are for the long term instead of small inconvinient changes each year.

I was recently wathing the 1990 Le Mans video and the Pole Position Nissan R90C, with 1200BHP, qualified in 3,27. This years pole time was 3,29 or so despite the track being significantly changed, and slowed down. On the 1990 track the Audi would have been at least 5 seconds faster than the Nissan.

Also the new venturies, although apparantley, being somewhat restricted in their effectiveness should produce significant downforce and could increase the overall downforce levels despite proposed smaller wings etc.

The prospect of more GTPs and the new rules should open up lots of new design possibilities and it will be interesting to see who makes the most of the new rules. After so much rules stability recently the racing has become a bit stagnent like F1. These 2004 rules should shake the pack up a bit.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 10:53 (Ref:377856)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I agree with this, although I do not see why the equivelant of LMP675 should be made so that it cant fight for overall honours. The idea of lighter more fuel efficient car being on totally different strategies seems to me to be quite interesting and could lead to more regular lead changes.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 16:22 (Ref:378077)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
I think they just want to ensure LMP675 is for privateers only.

I believe the most interesting development, along with more GTPs, is the fact that diesals should be allowed in 2004 and a number of manufactuers are interested. In my opinion I believe they would be Peugeot and VW and considering there recent road cars maybe BMW as engine only options (it wouldn't clash with F1 and would offer something different at international level). Anyine whos driven a new diesal car can back me up in how far diesals have come in the last few years.

Le Mans should be pushing for a prototype class for alternatively powered cars which I believe could give LM a new dimension, unavailable to manufactuers at international level elsewere.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 07:11 (Ref:378530)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
In the last Le Mans Racing paper, Franck Ratel (who's in charge of FIA GT) says that FIA won't be concerned about ACO choices to make their rules. If ACO wants to get closer of FIA, they will be welcome, but FIA won't do something to talk with ACO, and much wider with ALMS and LM specs...

Shame...

The next years could see different categories again, depending of the race : LM cars, FIA GT cars, etc...
Old 19 Sep 2002, 15:26 (Ref:384207)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
In the last Le Mans Racing paper, Franck Ratel (who's in charge of FIA GT) says that FIA won't be concerned about ACO choices to make their rules. If ACO wants to get closer of FIA, they will be welcome, but FIA won't do something to talk with ACO, and much wider with ALMS and LM specs...
Hey Fab, any way we can get to see this interview? It hasn't shown up online anywhere yet...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Sep 2002, 20:04 (Ref:384352)   #16
Crazy_Pigal
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Crazy_Pigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of mild venturis and smaller wings, also closed & open prototypes competing directly with the same regs, but why penalise the LMP675’s, it seems ridiculous that MG/Lola have produced a car as quick as the Audi and then the cheaper racecar is the one that gets hammered (according to Frank Dernie the chassis cost is similar to a 900 but the engine cheaper). I thought the idea was to cut costs! The point of the lower class is that privateers can compete for less outlay! (OK, MG are not privateers, but they are a very small company compared to Audi, GM, Ford etc.)
How about a premier class that includes all LMP675, LMP900 & LMGT900, where you have a sliding scale of power to weight from where 675’s are now to where 900’s are and everything in-between and beyond to say 1100 kgs with loads of power. The ACO have been very good in the past at getting the restrictors right so stick with their current formulas. This would allow the efficient use of a wider range of power units (fitting in with manufactures marketing ploys), and if you design a chassis that is slightly overweight then no problem, have more power, you can still compete!
The idea being that there is no one way to win Le Mans, there will be a number of very different approaches, for me Le Mans is all about seeing very different cars competing with equal chance of victory, different strategies, tyre wear, fuel consumption etc. etc……and most of all sounds.
The privateers then have a lower class, similar power to weights, maybe simply differentiated by some limit on budget, or on technology.
Somehow I can’t see this happening …you can only dream? Somebody out there tell me what I have missed?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 21:15 (Ref:384408)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
An LMP675 to compete with LMP900 costs more. Parts are not as durable and need to be replaced more often.

By increasing the weight they will need less maintenance and therefore cheaper to run for smaller teams. They were never meant to compete for overall wins but be an entry level.

In GT1 at least you could have more power for increased weight. The TWR Nissan R390 was run at 1000KG or so for more power and increased top speed.

An LMP900 may be able to run at 1000 KGs or more and have say 750BHP.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 21:29 (Ref:384416)   #18
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can never see a 2litre turbo engine lasting the full 24 hours unless it had millions spent on it. Remember in the early 80s when Toyota used to turn up with a 2.1 turbo 4cylinder, it never lasted. Higher boost i know, but how much did they spend on it?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 21:33 (Ref:384418)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
Yeah but it did win IMSA GTP easily.

What about the ROC Reynard VW. The most reliable car in the field.

The MG engine is also purpose built rather than road car based.