Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Oct 2002, 23:29 (Ref:408260)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal's Strike!!!!

How's this sound???? Let's all agree on a certain meeting, high profile maybe televised, and then...........

at a predetermined moment..........

we ALL walk off post !!!!!!!!
for one hour!!!!

Boy would that get their attention..............but.........

we need to agree on why it would happen. Just what are we all looking for??

We all love racing or else we would not be there......

But none of us like being taken for ganted.......

so...............

just what would make us happy??????

so here is the idea............

fill in the questionnaire, make your views known and then.......

if "they" take no notice.............

we MAKE them notice us !!!!!!!!!!!

"They" have 6 months to make their opinions public or else!!!!!!!

who knows where, who knows where!!!!!

but it may happen!!!!!!!!!

can you imagine Bernie's face if the start was delayed because:.......

NO MARSHALS ON POST !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 Oct 2002, 23:59 (Ref:408273)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst came close this year....

There was lots of grumbling and threats over the way officials are treated by IMG and the appalling campsite conditions at Bathurst. I agree that it will take action as you propose to get "their" attention. If it happens "on the continent" it is bound to make people in Oz sit up and take notice. Good Luck, it is a crying shame that it has to come down to this, as as you say everyone is in it for the enjoyment (hell, why else would officials be putting up with the long hours, stress, abuse, etc etc etc etc) The fact that organisers play on this aspect is lower than a snakes guts.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 13:55 (Ref:408507)   #3
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Crazystu it just wont happen.
The majority of participants on this forum recognise things are wrong and the need for improvements. However, we represent only a small proportion of the total marshalling population and I suspect that whilst most may agree with our views they will not take positive action. They are not interested in the 'politics' only the racing and so will continue to participate whatever the conditions - the GP is the classic case of 'I dont like the conditions but am prepared to put up with it because.......!
We'd certainly look a bit daft if we agreed amongst ourselves to walk off our posts at a particular event but found there were only about a dozen like minded individuals at the whole meeting.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 15:46 (Ref:408572)   #4
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am afraid I agree with Tony J, it just wont happen. The majority of marshals will put up with conditions as they are if thats the best they can get. Oh sure if they have a choice of 2 venues on the same day they will go to the more "comfortable" one if all else is equal, but thats about it.

More importantly should it happen? We all volunteer for events knowing the conditions at the venue. If you find them unacceptable then don't volunteer. By all means let the organisation know why you are not attending, but to volunteer knowing that you did not intend to carry out your duties is, in my opinion, underhanded.

It is interesting that as we approach the annual AGM season that almost no marshals who are members of organising clubs will attend. Last year I attended the AGM of my region of the BARC. I was the only marshal there and the only non competitor apart from the committee. Don't forget thet if you are a member of such a club it is your responsibility to take these opportunities to present your case, otherwise don't moan.

Would it not make more sense that where you have a major player like the BARC, that members of this forum make a point of attending at least the regional AGM's and making the committees aware of our concerns so that at least they can't say they weren't told? I will certainly attend the South West Centre again, if only to check that they minuted what I said last year!
Old 20 Oct 2002, 16:08 (Ref:408595)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I agree with you stu old lad I fear the others may be right in some of what they say.
I have been part of a form of action not unlike a strike(we eventually got a lunch break and did not return after 15 mins as instructed but took at least 30) and it did make the organisers think a little.
To arrange something as serious as a walk out by every marshal we need EVERY-ONE to walk out.
Whilst those of you who know me will also know I am rebelious enough to do such a thing there are many who are content to just stick their heads in the sand and put up with things..
Old 20 Oct 2002, 16:52 (Ref:408627)   #6
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Beardy has made a particularly valid point [and to a degree also reflects my own views about motor clubs]. They are there primarily for the competitor NOT for the marshals. The clubs have created their 'marshal teams' with the aim of ensuring a ready source of a compliant 'club marshals' to support their events who ultimatly respond in support of the club rather than that of the broader grouping of marshals
Old 20 Oct 2002, 17:49 (Ref:408701)   #7
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My point was that clubs exist to serve their members, a club like BARC has racing members, spectating menbers and marshalling members. It follows that it must do its best for all of its members. It can only do that if all the members tell the committee people what they want, which means putting yourself out to go to AGMs and the like. If you do attend the meetings and nothing is done to meet your criticisms you then have grounds for complaint, but if you don't then you haven't.

The clubs may not like it but as a member you have a vote and if necessary it can be used to upset the "status quo".I feel this is a much more constructive approach than downing tools without warning.

At the end of the day as marshals we also have a vested interest in the continuation of club motorsport. I feel more comfortable in expressing my opinions directly to those who can do something about it rather than threatening strike action.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 18:29 (Ref:408732)   #8
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Beardy359
but to volunteer knowing that you did not intend to carry out your duties is, in my opinion, underhanded.
I'm with you on this one Beardy359. If I don't want to marshal a particular event as I have a particular grievance, I will make that grievance known to the chief marshal and not volunteer. If I've committed myself to attend an event, I will. I will not "walk out" even if everyone else on circuit does. If conditions get that bad, I won't be there in the first place.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 18:33 (Ref:408738)   #9
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by QuickBrownFox
I'm with you on this one Beardy359. If I don't want to marshal a particular event as I have a particular grievance, I will make that grievance known to the chief marshal and not volunteer. If I've committed myself to attend an event, I will. I will not "walk out" even if everyone else on circuit does. If conditions get that bad, I won't be there in the first place.
QBF, you beat me to it, if I don't like a circuit, club, conditions etc. I don't go, it is a simple matter of choice.

The conditions have not changed since I started marshalling, but they were OK for me then, so why should I demand change now I am experienced?
Old 20 Oct 2002, 21:08 (Ref:408866)   #10
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be a good idea to some extent, but if I remember correctly a certain Thruxton marshal who shall remain anon tried this a few years ago at Donington during a DTM meeting, about the way a marshal was spoke to by organisers. Unfortunatley it never happened as the organisers got hold of it and put the kiboshs' on it. Even if we did do it the only response we will get is if you don't like it don't do it; after all we are all volunteers, maybe if people started voting with there feet and didn't turn up and watched it on telly as we're s'posed to be doing then one day there will be no more meetings to televise and they will sit up and think a bit more.

Then again I can dream can't I
Old 21 Oct 2002, 07:39 (Ref:409050)   #11
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally I can see why a strike could seem tempting, but i don't think it is the way to go - it is too difficult to organise, and would probably just get us bad press - (I work for a news company - trust me on this!)
Boycott of bad events - that is the way.

This coming season, make a note of every meet you do and whether it was a bad meeting to marshal.
THEN DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN!!!

they will get the hint...
Old 21 Oct 2002, 13:32 (Ref:409253)   #12
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Crazystu: You do seem to bring out the worst in people! Surly what you said about a strike was a bit tongue-in-cheek. This action would be contradiction of what you have posted elsewhere about you being an unpaid professional. I don't know the number of times I've felt like walking off a post, but would anyone notice? The way the MSA stewards check to see if a track is properly manned (personed?) is a joke! If you want to influence things, become active in the marshal's club and try and make it stand up for marshals, don't just bounce ideas of similar minded people on a forum that no-one else reads! I feel another Marshal's Questionaire coming on...
Old 21 Oct 2002, 13:39 (Ref:409259)   #13
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - there are two ways to have any effect -
go and join in the discussion at the club level...
...or vote with yr feet.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:20 (Ref:409366)   #14
Baldy Man
Rookie

Baldy Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gotta agree also, mainly what will happen if we all went on strike is that you will advertise to a lot of people (new marshals, supporters) how bad it all is and maybe make matters worse. Striking is a very blunt instrument to get what you want and breeds basic mistrust between all parties, and I hope we all don't want to be a part of that kind of culture ?

I think like someone said, we need to approach the club commitees if things are to change, the only prob with that is and I most definitely include myself in that category, is I don't have the time and inclination, time because of work (gotta get beer tokens somehow !) and inclination cos I do all that kind of politics at work and regard marshaling as a hobby.

Stu, do you know of any officials who would like to comment on this forum, cos I'm sure that would be a good start if they could just read and acknowledge all the comments and opinions ?
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:21 (Ref:409368)   #15
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ME??? bring out the worst in people??? Surely not!!

Bring out the Truth, now that's a different matter!!

Of course a strike was never going to happen, never thought it for one minute but we can all dream!!

Seriously though, in my experience, working from within a club has very little effect. You are working within the confines of the very system that you are trying to change. The most effective way seems to be voting with our feet but in a very demonstrative manner. For example:

A few years ago a group us were very off at a certain club and so we boycotted one meeting. But, to prove our point, we obtained passes from elsewhere (not by volunteering) and all turned-up on mass to spectate!! The look on the Chief Marshal's face was a picture when he looked over the startline and saw around 50yrs of experience all in civvies!!

Things did not change overnight but this was the starting point. The powers-that-be did take notice and with some senior drivers on our side, things have definately improved at this venue and we now marshal it.

I think the main problem is, having read all the various posts and seeing the results so far of the questionnaire, that whilst we all seem to want the same thing, none of us really know who to talk to about it. The overiding emotion I am getting from these pages is one of Frustration rather than Anger. Whilst most of us agree that we do not live in a perfect world and never will, just the simple act of the clubs,circuits,drivers or organisers taking the time out to "Ask our opinions" would go a long way. Just the acknowledgement that we exist and do care about Motorsport I feel would go a long way toward better relationships between Us and Them.

I stand to be corrected but, and this is purely my own opinion, I don't think any of us would like to see Fully Paid Marshalling, Fast Response Vehicles or the end of Trackside Marshalling. We want to be close-up, to feel the buzz, to get our hands dirty (aswell as our boots!!). We'd just like to be able to do this with somewhere dry to keep our gear, somewhere decent to give us the chance to say-over if we choose to, have a chance to get to a clean toilet and maybe get a chance to see the cars up close and stationary.

Are we asking too much, I don't think so. But.........

Are we asking the right people???? If not, then who should we ask?????
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:26 (Ref:409378)   #16
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Baldy, without naming names as the person asked me not to yet, I can tell you that " a VERY senior member of the BMMC is aware of this forum and does check it out regularly. No, he cannot, at the moment, post replies as he is currently having to play the political game. He has however, asked to see the results of the questionnaire with the intent of forwarding them to the relevant members of various UK National Motorsport councils.
I know this is very vague but I gave my word.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:32 (Ref:409385)   #17
Baldy Man
Rookie

Baldy Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good one Stu, I awaite his comments eagerly !
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:38 (Ref:409395)   #18
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
But before we get too negative, I do have some good news as far as marshalling goes!!!
At Prescott Hillclimb the marshal's, through the wonderful efforts of their own marshal's club, get the following for £2.50 membership p/a:

Free tea/coffee at sign-on:
Subsidiesed hot food during the guaranteed lunch in our own private compound:
£5 a day sign-on money
At least 3 raffle prizes a day:
Free accommodation in the same pvt compound:
which includes; tv,microwave,hot/cold water,fridge,barbque and bedding:
plus, EVERY day, at briefing, the Clerk of Course addresses us and states..... "You want to shut-it down, DO SO and I'll back you up"

All sounds terrific but............

at least one member of the organising committee (NOT a marshal) thinks that this is not enough and is trying to get us more!!!!!!!

watch this space!!!!!
Old 21 Oct 2002, 17:05 (Ref:409414)   #19
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why should you pay to join a club,

the people i marshal for i dont have to pay for the pleasure, i get a donation to the sss petrol fund, a pack lunch, this season i have had a set of overalls out of them, hat, a trip to france and a few more bits.

a lot better than when i first started.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 18:25 (Ref:409461)   #20
Brushpusher
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by sss
why should you pay to join a club,

the people i marshal for i dont have to pay for the pleasure, i get a donation to the sss petrol fund, a pack lunch, this season i have had a set of overalls out of them, hat, a trip to france and a few more bits.

a lot better than when i first started.
What about the breakaway lanyard and whistle, do they provide that too?
Old 21 Oct 2002, 18:40 (Ref:409475)   #21
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no , but if i get enough people i can get a discount on them
Old 21 Oct 2002, 18:43 (Ref:409479)   #22
Brushpusher
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by sss
no , but if i get enough people i can get a discount on them
Put me down for two!!

Seriously, you are dead right in your comment about our other club, can't imagine any of us going on strike, unless Dave throws a strop.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 20:32 (Ref:409607)   #23
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yo stu dont tell em how good Prescott is cause if they all come down there wont be enough of the beer that the drivers and mechanics buy for us to go round.....
Old 21 Oct 2002, 21:31 (Ref:409686)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
[Bthe people i marshal for i dont have to pay for the pleasure, i get a donation to the sss petrol fund, a pack lunch, this season i have had a set of overalls out of them, hat, a trip to france and a few more bits.. [/B]
OK, those are the tangible benefits, but it goes deeper than that, doesn't it? It's the intangibles - the atmosphere at meetings, the friendliness of everybody, marshals, officials & riders, the efficient way meetings are run & much more, that make it the club it is. We're coming down to Brands at the weekend - I can't think of many clubs we'd do that for.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 12:12 (Ref:410144)   #25
scottball75
Rookie

scottball75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
I stand to be corrected but, and this is purely my own opinion, I don't think any of us would like to see Fully Paid Marshalling, Fast Response Vehicles or the end of Trackside Marshalling. We want to be close-up, to feel the buzz, to get our hands dirty (as well as our boots!!). We'd just like to be able to do this with somewhere dry to keep our gear....
Having just looked through the latest issue of F1 Magazine, there is a big piece, on the work carried out at Paul Ricard in France on behalf one Mr Ecclestone.

They have got rid of all gravel traps and added some obscene amount of run off area trackside (similar to that at Eau Rouge etc) that amounts to several hectares!. Also they have replaced marshals points with a lighting system controlled from race control and FRVs / RIVs (Fast Response Vehicles / Rapid Intervention Vehicles).

Be afraid, be very afriad