Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Oct 2002, 21:59 (Ref:411694)   #26
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You are so cynical Mr Wooley. Hows about instructing everyone at the next meeting at the Walsh to take a full hour lunch...
Oops, someone noticed I'm a cynic. Actually, it was at the Walsh where we mutinied, and since then we've managed an hour twice - I'm trying hard to make it standard. Come along anyway, we'll do our best.

Real answers, then:
Pushing Barry Lines Atlantis UP hill (you have to see it to believe it, imagine a cabin cruiser with wheels)

I find endurance flaggin easier than medium distance. 3hrs plus is no problem, because there's time to get used to them, but 30 minutes of Radicals... BTCC in the dark was interesting, until I worked out it didn't matter!
Old 23 Oct 2002, 22:09 (Ref:411706)   #27
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoowert

Ultimate challenge? Try flagging at 2 posts at once! I did it on my one & only visit to Mondello. I can't remember the numbers but they are quite close, one going one way, then the other one goes the other way - if you get my drift!
EP and those of Mondello persuasion, does he mean Delta 13 & 27. You know lady flaggers consider that normal at Mondello! Stoowert needs retraining in Mondello's ways. See www.marshalspost.com

Last edited by Guisbro Rod H; 23 Oct 2002 at 22:10.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 22:20 (Ref:411719)   #28
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or it could have been delta 5 and the older flagpost at delta 12.

Stoowert I hope you were using a radio and putting out a fire at the same time as this double posted flagging - Because otherwise it's just TOO easy.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 22:31 (Ref:411722)   #29
wickedwitch
Racer

Ultimate Marshalling Challenge - the whole field reaching your post but going no further as you jump to avoid multiple rolling vehicles, then survey field.

4 are upside down (one actually on the flagpost where you had been standing), 2 are on their side and about half of the rest are facing wrong direction and the guy who caused this is jumping around, acting the big-man, delighted with himself. Someone's unconscious and you first call the ambulance (no rescue unit here) and then assist where you can (including climbing into a car to assist performing a C-Spine Helmet Removal), and then you try to assure other marshals that contrary to what they may have heard/seen; reports of your demise have been thankfully exaggerated.

Phew, well I think that was the biggest marshalling challenge I've ever faced.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 23:01 (Ref:411745)   #30
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Well done Kaybee ---bet you did'nt get a straight answer to any question you asked though.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 06:40 (Ref:411888)   #31
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
wickedwitch wins the prize

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 24 Oct 2002 at 06:40.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 07:06 (Ref:411892)   #32
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
I agree, wickedwitch wins. But whats more remarkable is that she looks so young she must have been a trainee whilst covering two flags and Incident Officer/Observer Role as well (Irelands has different marshals jobs)
Old 24 Oct 2002, 08:07 (Ref:411914)   #33
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The ultimate marshalling challenge? Finding a driver who knows what a waved yellow means!
Old 24 Oct 2002, 08:49 (Ref:411936)   #34
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Smith
Oh Well done Kaybee ---bet you did'nt get a straight answer to any question you asked though.
No!

The other challenge I have is remembering which job I'm doing - whether I reach for stopwatch or flag - before I react to the incident. It usually helps by looking at the vehicle involved - bike or car - then I know which to reach for.

Old 24 Oct 2002, 10:22 (Ref:411985)   #35
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd been trying to forget about that one. I think myself, Shinners, Doc and MagnetON deserve honourable mentions for being the marshals that watched her apparently disappear under the car that landed on the flag post.

All handled beautifully by WW of course - but still rather scary from the angle I was at.

Not an experience I'd care to repeat.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 17:52 (Ref:412435)   #36
Trouble
Rookie

Trouble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry toilets win!
Especially if you're female and have all your wet weather gear on, hundreds of layers of clothes and frozen solid hands ;0
Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:23 (Ref:412472)   #37
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Trouble
Sorry toilets win!
Especially if you're female and have all your wet weather gear on, hundreds of layers of clothes and frozen solid hands ;0
That's why I pulled sex last Sunday and left the poor male marshals assisting the previous post/corner with their huge oil slick.

I also think that female marshals, when wearing many layers of clothing, should be entitled to use the disabled toilets, you need the space to manoeuvre in all that clothing, providing a disabled person doesn't need them.

Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:31 (Ref:412477)   #38
wickedwitch
Racer

Quote:
Thank you, Thank you
** wickedwitch accepts prize graciously and bows to all**

I'd like to thank all the other marshal who were there that historic day (Doc, fonzie, Magnet, EP and Shinners and all the locals in Roscommon), and those who weren't but listened while I relayed the tale a thousand times.

Actually DocH did most of the work - I just tried not to get dead.

GuisbroRod, thank you for the compliment, of course I've never actually done the double flagpost plus I/O and incident role myself, but I've seen it done, (while I was I/O and incident and flag marshal at just one other post), but my comment remains "easy peasy".

Regarding the toilets (where?!!!), yeah it's even tougher with wet gear and numb fingers - just one of the many things that us ladies find a way to cope with, don't we do well.

Last edited by wickedwitch; 24 Oct 2002 at 18:31.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 20:11 (Ref:412582)   #39
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by wickedwitch
Regarding the toilets (where?!!!), yeah it's even tougher with wet gear and numb fingers - just one of the many things that us ladies find a way to cope with, don't we do well.
I trust the numb fingers belonged to PizzaMan!
We discussed this before under female marshals. All ladies forget that men sometimes need to disrobe in said toilets, so its not exclusively a female problem and its not the ultimate marshalling challenge.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 21:05 (Ref:412626)   #40
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
LOL - well we did get that compliment from that nice man from FIA who said it was nice to see the marshals were so fit....apparently he noticed that when the stewards were doing their inspection, marshals were bailing from post to post to make the circuit look slightly more....marshalled!