Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1565098)   #1
macaroon
Rookie

macaroon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gp 5 ??

does anyone have any idea if microprose are bringing out a "grand prix 5" this year ? it's due to come out as per their usual 4 year cycles but i heard somewhere that geoff crammond is no longer with them. will have to stock up a few extra gp4's to last me the years if that's the case.......
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1565104)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think since Sony own exclusive rights to produce F1 games the answer to your question is no, unfortunately...
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1565163)   #3
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup Geoff is no longer with them i believe, and sony have that licence, so more bland poor quality games to come.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1565294)   #4
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least we can take comfort in knowing that there are many fans out there who still create mods for this old yet superior games like GP4 and F1 Challenge, and with rFactor, maybe we don't really need an F1 license after all. Lets just hope that Bernie doesn't crack down on the modders.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1565297)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GP4 was hideous. The cars were assisted in every corner by the computer....with all aids switched off.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1565325)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes that was annoying that you couldn't get ride of any driving aids but the game wasn't bad at the time. Just compared to F1C it looks crap.
If you combined the best from both you would get an awesome game. I can't wait for the '06 mod for F1C when ever it comes out.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1565341)   #7
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP1 and GP2 will always have a special place in my heart. There was nothing else around like them at the time. However from GP3 onwards it was a little disappointing. IIRC the graphics engine of GP3 was already obsolete before it was released.

Saying that though I do actually own all 4 of them.

In the last few years the commercial side of F1 has sky rocketed and is so lucrative the big boys (ie Sony) are going to be willing to pay top dollar for the rights where they can churn out what they like and slap the official names on it. As long as it sells.

What I'm trying to get at in a roundabout way is no I don't think we will see a GP5. But unless there was a radical change in the gameplay, and no disrepect to Geoff Crammond as he is a pioneer, I don't think it would be particularly good!

A new F1 manager game would be good though, as I don't recall there being one for quite a few years now. If I'm wrong, correct me now or forever hold your peace!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1565389)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah GP2 was great, still probably my favourite PC sim to be honest, dated as it is.

GP3 was a hideously outdated game visually although it wasn't so bad to play.

Management games are needed IMO....as long as they don't turn out like EA Sport's last effort!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1565400)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree. I still play GPM2 to this day.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1565474)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I'd like a F1 management as well, it's been like 6 years since the excellent Grand Prix World...
I'm not even mentioning EA's effort, although I have bought it anyhow as it's rare to find these type of games, I don't think I've played it in 5 years now unlike GPW...
Old 30 Mar 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1565487)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have GPW as well, but it crashes all the time under XP. Really puts me off playing it.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1565517)   #12
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any of you guys tried any of the online F1 manager games, if yes what ones?
Old 30 Mar 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1565542)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What was wrong with GP4?

I still play it occassionally, although it crashes loads on my PC for some reason.

You could turn off all the computer driving aids...
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1565602)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It crashed with me all the time as well.

That's my issue monster...even with all aids off, the car still felt as if it was being helped round the corners.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1565627)   #15
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It did in keyboard mode, you couldn't turn the steering assist off I don't think. With a wheel it felt more natural.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 05:08 (Ref:1565737)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do remember that you couldn't turn off the steering assist in keyboard mode.

Hmm.. When I get home I might dig out GP4 and reinstall it and try it with my wheel. I'm intrigued now.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 05:12 (Ref:1565740)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I spent a long time using keyboard and only used a wheel a little before i got fed up with it crashing.....

Maybe this niggle was just embedded in my psyche....but I'm sure it was still present when you used the wheel. Maybe not.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1565834)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved GP2 and own GP4, if you turns all aids off and use a wheel it does feel much more realistic than with keys. That said, with GTR and rFactor the physics model just doesn't cop it anymore, but it's still a riot to play. I can't remember if it had online play or not, but if it did we should have a "Remembering GP" event to blow off the cobwebs
Old 9 Apr 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1574354)   #19
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to love GP3, or I had to because that was all I had after dropping my PS1 . I remember changing the Driver names to make it up to date.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1575144)   #20
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP3-2000 was excellent (full dry/wet) and the cars felt much better (with a wheel). Graphics behind the times but that's just eye candy. Still GP2 will remain the favourite in my heart, spent many a year wasting time on it... fondest memory was delevoping a setup for Estoril, being 4 secs off the pace in qual (with great handling mind) and then noticing that I still had full fuel - drop it back to 4 laps and beat everyone by 2secs and took the win to seal the championship...
Old 10 Apr 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1577808)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I used to spend hours tweaking setups, I had a great one for Silverstone on GP4, one which made the rear a bit slidy, so it was fun exiting corners. Rear tyres never lasted though, ho hum, it was a fun first 8 laps though!

Its amazing the amount of difference 1 mm in the ride height used to effect the handling.