Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 16 May 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3248606)   #1
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
Randal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone using Avons

I switch over to Avons and thus far have run a bunch of autox in Northern California and Oregon (Medford Spring Enduro).

Going to be running the Cascade Lakes Hill Climb in June at Ashland Oregon.

I'm running the softest Avon bias ply slick (A45 compound) but looking to talk with someone that also runs these tires.

I have a bunch of questions about when (at what temperature) these tires go from mechanical to sticky grip.

In autox runs (typically 60 seconds or less) they work great, but no one seems to know at what temperature they optimize for sticky grip.

All help appreciated.
Old 17 May 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3248829)   #2
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal View Post
I switch over to Avons and thus far have run a bunch of autox in Northern California and Oregon (Medford Spring Enduro).

Going to be running the Cascade Lakes Hill Climb in June at Ashland Oregon.

I'm running the softest Avon bias ply slick (A45 compound) but looking to talk with someone that also runs these tires.

I have a bunch of questions about when (at what temperature) these tires go from mechanical to sticky grip.

In autox runs (typically 60 seconds or less) they work great, but no one seems to know at what temperature they optimize for sticky grip.

All help appreciated.
Welcome to Tenths Randal, I hope we can help here.

One question that might help a bit, what vehicle are you running them on and what size rims?
Old 17 May 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3249128)   #3
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
I'm running 15" wheels with 8" rims in front (Gotti wheels) and 11" rims in back. The idea of running a staggered setup making sure each inch of tire has the same amount of weight given the overall weight balance of the car.

My car is a modified 914 Porsche, with a 2.4-4 and weighs in at 1721, which I have to meet to run SCCA XP class. The car has a full (heavy) cage as I run hill climbs.
Old 18 May 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3249367)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Well there's definitely a few of those being thrown up UK hills, and I'd bet they're using Avon so fingers crossed.
Old 18 May 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3249454)   #5
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
Thanks for the Welcome to the forum.

Is there any particular place in this forum where the hill climb racers hang out?

On the www.914world.com site we have a Paddock section where people racing can exchange posts. Great place for asking questions and getting answers.

BTW when I was living in the UK in the early 70's I was up at my friends cottage in Great Witley. Woke up one morning hearing what sounded like a F1 car and later in the morning went to find where the sound was coming from. It ended up being the Shelsley Walsh hill climb and various people were running last years F1 cars. You could actually buy them cheap back then; hard to believe but true.

In any event I've been addicted to hill climbs ever sense and now have 8 or more, here on the West coast that we can run.

Hoping this year at Cascade Lakes it's a bit warmer than last year where it was snowing when we arrived on Saturday morning. This was in June! I ran with the first group on Saturday morning and the temperature was still like 40 degrees, so was a bit tentative on that run.

Should be better this year with the Avons.
Old 18 May 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3249460)   #6
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
Was going to post a picture but not sure how. Do you have to have the picture on the web first at a sharing site?

Also how do you input an Avatar?

Thanks.
Old 18 May 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3249564)   #7
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you spoken to your Avon supplier?

I found any questions I had were happily answered by my supplier

BMTR Racing
www.bmtrracing.com/
103-115 walsall road,
Birmingham
B42 1TU
0121 331 1122,

Or try Avon themselves sure they will gladly help you
Old 18 May 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3249591)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Yeah, If hillclimbers are anywhere, they're here. I think you can post an avatar after you have 10 posts, *I think*

Hunter makes a good point about BMTR & Avon. They really do know their stuff and are good people.
Old 19 May 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3249637)   #9
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
To be honest I've asked Avon about what temperature the A45 compound goes from mechanical to sticky grip, but haven't received an answer. That's why I want to find someone that has used them....they will know from experience. Right now I'm not sure the A45 compound acts like other slicks, i.e., when typical slicks get hot they stick better.

I'm not so worried about hill climbs as they are around 2 minutes on the West coast courses, say 12-20 corners and typically run in hotter temperatures, i.e., 80 degrees plus. Hardly any tire is going to overheat in that situation, but running the Medford Enduro, which is almost 5 minutes and 60 plus corners, driven as hard as you can, is an unknown. And you can't experiment on the practice day as you only get to run 2 laps, as opposed to 5 in the final. Also Avon's are expensive here, like $1,600 for a set for my car, so hoping someone out there can help me with the operation characteristics of the A45 compound.
Old 19 May 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3250042)   #10
Hunter1300
Racer

Hunter1300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again it's only my experience but when ever I needed to know specific information from either Bmtr or Avon the easiest an quickest way to get an answer is to call them directly an ask.

They have always been friendly helpful an forthcoming how ever daft a question or how ever many time I call in one day record was 6 times in one day. (Was having compound and size issues-with the tyres of course!!! Lol)
Old 23 May 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3252224)   #11
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
Avon Technical Support

Who did you call and do you have a number? Thanks.

When I called from California I ended up talking to a sales guy, so not sure I was in the right place.

All help appreciated.

Pretty exciting, Cascade Lakes is only a couple of week away.

If you go here you can read all about the hill climb in Oregon:

http://www.ssccmedford.org/hillclimb_news.html

Old 12 Jun 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3261612)   #12
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
Cascade Lakes Hill Climb

Just got home after a long trip to Oregon running Cascade Lakes.

Perfect weather (80's 90's) on the hill this year. Road conditions were perfect except for some patch work that came up when the asphalt got over 130 degrees.

There are a few videos on the www.914world.com site (PADDOCK section), but my camera managed to break on Saturday morning when I ran. Couple of nice side view shots.

Ended up 2nd overall and set a new hill record for SPU (super production under 2 liters). Got in front of the very fast and well driven Z06 Corvettes and all the formula cars as well. The winner was a purpose built hill climb Evo with 600HP! He did a 1:49 and I was 1:52...not bad for Cascade Lakes which is a very technical course without any barriers.

OK, know a lot more about the Avons now. My car weighs 1721 and with me about 1920 pounds. I ran the morning (80 degrees ambient) with the asphalt about 100 degrees or maybe slightly less on Saturday morning. Also ran Sunday PM when the air temp was low 90's and asphalt about 130 degrees.

I am running the softest compound, i.e., A45. The course is just over 2 miles with 12 corners and lots of sweeping connections in between.

The tires worked perfect, in fact I never found the limit. They just stuck and on this hill that is wonderful as you do not want to go off anywhere. Was a bit nervous when a few drivers were complaining about the road getting greasy, so took it easy on my first PM runs on Sunday when it was hot, but the better part of valor kicked in and drove fairly hard the balance of the runs. And again, I never got to the limits.

So beginning to think that as long as your under 1,950# you can run the soft compound tires on short courses, i.e., under 3 miles.

Avons work!
Old 13 Jun 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3262206)   #13
Randal
Rookie

United States
Los Altos, CA
Sorry, SPU is Super Production under 3.0 liters. My 914 is a 2.4-4
Old 2 Jul 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3272837)   #14
ben240z
Racer

ben240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi just found this thread.
I have been running Avons (crossply) for years on the 240Z and they work from cold but overheat very quickly on a few laps of a circuit. There are lots of 911s running the hills here but they all seem to be on crossply tyres.
cheers Ben