Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Jun 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2223366)   #26
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quicks E was in Switzerland owned by Eric Traber when last seen. The car was still in largely as raced during the 1969/70 season. The 3-8 had been replaced By a 4-2 and the set of 45DCO's and D manifold replaced with 45DCOE's and a manifold of modern manufacture. The owner still had the ex Brabham F1 wheels but those on the car were new and split rim and of course back to CR65 Dunlops. The rear end was most original 1969 with rose jointed suspension still in place. Front brake were still Girling CR calapers on solid discs the rears Mk10 calipers and discs.The car had previously been in the ownership of Denis Connerly in the States who had spent vast sums in restoration to original 69 spec. The registration WOO11 was retained by John
and transferred to various Porsche's, Datsun,s etc and then sold about 3 years ago for 5k. John Lewis still has his car.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2223465)   #27
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Believe John Fletcher still has his elan
Old 9 Jun 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2223954)   #28
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
markal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Fletcher still has the Elan, i will get some pics, i was told John Pearson still has the XK?, there must be hundreds of modsport pics that have not been posted, regards Alan.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2223996)   #29
ARTRACER1
Rookie

United States
Charlotte, NC
ARTRACER1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may have some old faded images but it was all pre digital back then. In fact I believe cave painting was one up on some of the grainy images I have seen. I remember Plastic's XK as being a red hard top at one point, not a softie. Fletchers Elan was amazingly quick, and he was so down to earth and unassuming. Many of the fastest guy's around at that time were. When you look back at just how fast these men were, it's truly amazing. The crowds were always good as well as the fans knew they were in for a treat. The scrutineering was always fair and freindly. Happy days indeed.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2224116)   #30
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
Any image is better than nothing of an era i still think about, Pearson,s soft top was actualy fibreglass he just took a mould straight of the soft top! J Fletcher live's a mile from me, so pics should be easy, look farward to seeing some of yours, regards Alan.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2227535)   #31
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Loved Modsports! But there again, loved the 60s and 70s too... I have a pile of pics taken at the exit to Mallory Hairpin, as that was the best place for someone who loved taking pics at a race track, but who didn't have access to a camera with a long lens! Prescott Hillclimb was great though...

Part of the disenchantment as a spectator since then is the distancing of the spectators/amateur photographers from the track side, on safety grounds - and stuck behind wire fences.

Here in NZ, we run an very successful series for 'road-going' pre 1977 sports/saloons/GTs, (over 100 active drivers on two grids) but there is currently little opportunity to race a genuine modsports car on slicks, other than as an historic car, where the mix is likely to include Formula Fords, Juniors and even old F2 cars.

Part of the problem is identifying and maintaining a period car, without in any way modernising it. Difficult to police, and it generates the argument currently raging, re continuity or run on cars, replicas etc.

On the grounds of safety and reliability, Spridgets and many other cars of that era here in NZ, will now be fitted with Toyota gearboxes for example, plus decent brakes. Its an argument that can get people in two distinct camps, with no faction being 100% correct...

Genuine Modsports cars and the oft quoted Super Saloons in the 70's were wonderful, as were the previous grids of early Lotuses, Coopers and a variety of specials... Racing them today and trying to source original spares wouldn't be easy.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2230603)   #32
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just caught this thread after quite an absence.

I ran three Midgets in Modsports back in the early 70s (71-73). Drivers, Peter Beech, Graham ??? and myself, entered by my race engineering and preparation business, Felspeed Racing: I ran eight cars at that time and had an International Entrant's license, as part of the business.

Peter and his car, of course, had earlier been campaigned in Modsports under the SRP (Southend Racing Partnership) banner, with Peter, Olly Thatcher and Alan Daykin driving.

My Midget came from Alan as an unfinished project: it was strangely, based on one of my retail garage customer's road cars which he had managed to very successfully write off!

Which just goes to show how clever or desperate we were at that time!

Peter beech's car was the most interesting: it was ex Robin Widdows and Roger Enever. Roger was the son of Sid Enever then BLMC's Director of Manufacturing and Roger had smuggled into the Abingdon plant during shutdown a raft of NS4 Aircract spec Dural sheet and proceeded to press out two or three complete sets of MG Midget body shells! What this did to the press tools one can only shudder to think............................

The car was assembled with rivets and synthetic adhesive, on a standard steel floor and chassis leg platform. Robin went on to set a class lap record at Nurbergring in this very lightweight Midget. Powered by an ex works F3 Dry Sump XSP engine.

After John Britten and Gabby Konig had set the World alight in their E Type killers (which John built at Arkley from ally and glass and used eight port heads and fuel injection) in the 60s, the regs were tightened and cars had to consist of original material - i.e. mild steel in the Midget's case) between front and rear axle centres.

The scrutes would check this using a simple magnet. So, I had to rapdiyl develop a cunning plan!

Pete's car went in to the bodyshop and we slit the rear wheel arches and slid some mild steel plate up; resealed the arches and re-painted the wing.

I can remember dear old Fred Mathews (? I think?), the senior RAC Scrutineer looking with amazement as his magnet slid from the top of the rear wing and shuddered to a halt! I suggested this was because of the new high slip factor silicon wax we were using to reduce air resistance! Fred begrudingly tried and tried again and eventually signed off the ticket!

They were happy and very pleasant times: good competition and a great bunch of people, as we always found at the old Burkett Trophy (Six Hour Relay) at Thruxton.

Only pics I have scanned: my Midget first race at Lydden, before it had even gone into the paint shop!
Attached Thumbnails
MG_Race_Lyd.71.jpg   MG-Pit71.jpg  
Old 17 Jun 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2230755)   #33
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gabriel says she never raced with and eight port head fitted or fuel injection on either the 1140cc engine 1968 or 1340cc in 1969 - neither did John whilst she was racing for him. Roger Enerver may have used an eight port head in the alloy panel car but Roger swapped to use Garo Nigogosian's car because it was lighter and quicker - this was the car Garo & Gabriel finished 32nd overall at 1969 Mugello 500KM in 2 litre class
Old 18 Jun 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2232082)   #34
chrisks
Rookie

chrisks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inthose days we drove up and down the countrywith no fuel problems.
I remember racing at Silverstone on a Saturday, Lydden on the Sunday and somewhere else on the holiday Monday.
Seemed easier then !!!

Chris Smith 1968/69 Austin Healey Sprite
Old 6 Jul 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2245140)   #35
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No sure if this should be under 'Modsports' or 'Supersaloons', but interesting nevertheless...so, is anyone bidding on this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-MK2-RAC...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by tlracing; 6 Jul 2008 at 11:14.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2246837)   #36
ARTRACER1
Rookie

United States
Charlotte, NC
This is my 1960 based mod sports MG I campaigned totally uneventfully in the STP and MGCC events from Aug 79 and 1980. My most enjoyable race was Oulton Park in 79 racing against David Sutherlands Datsun 240Z. He breathed all over me until my brain faded on the last lap and he went by. But I finished 2nd or 3rd in class. Today there would have been a full podium, hats, girls etc etc.. Not then. We just raced and went home !!!!
Roger Sparling, my fellow Devonian is in the red Midget behind me, and I think it's Jarvis in the Davrian at Thruxton about to put a lap on me probably!! Never got many shots on track. Could'nt afford to buy prints and race !! Not much changed there. It's still hard to get teams/drivers to pony up...But as a former driver, I kick myself. I try telling these guy's today but they think those 3 M Pixel cell phones will do as good as my EOS 1D MK II....NOT!! No pictures worth saving means you were'nt there.....
I enjoyed my time in those 18 months before moving on to prod saloons....
Happy days indeed
Attached Thumbnails
mallory park 1980.jpg   Thruxton 1979.jpg   Thruxton 1980.jpg  

Old 8 Jul 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2246923)   #37
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AR, I presume thats Mallory in the 1st shot, I used to sit near there, opposite the pits on the bank. Quite an unusual pic that, its sunny! And I agree, Modsports was good in the late 70s, it seemed to ahve a revival, after a few poor years earlier.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2248355)   #38
ARTRACER1
Rookie

United States
Charlotte, NC
It is indeed Mallory. I raced there 3 times in ModSports and twice in Prod Saloons in 81 and 82. Front row in 82 race, but fell off first lap! It never rained when I was there not once. In fact in 4 seasons it rained at Thruxton (Nov 79 televised STP race which I still have) and Brands Hatch, summer 81 on GP circuit. Never really used the wets back then. Maybe it was global warming(not) ! It was NEVER warm though.
I was lucky. In STP I raced with Radbourne X1/9 , Fletchers Lotus, Pugsleys black Davrian, Steve Roberts mighty Mini Marcos, Sutherlands Datsun 240, Yates -Smith and others 911's, Morgans, Multiple very fast Midgets, other Lotii, other Davrians, a Turner (at Lydden in 79, an E-type in 79, a Stag!!! Ginetta......Not 3 bad actually.....The racing was always entertaining....As a backmarker, we knew our place ! But we were out there actually doing it...
I'm in Florida since 1984 and now amongst other things I shoot for Audi for their ALMS programme...Racing is always in the blood...But I'd race again in a heartbeat given half a chance....
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:20 (Ref:2248402)   #39
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
Hi Artracer1, loved Modsports, did you race against Ed Stevens, in the ex Brian Hough Tvr Tuscan? Would you put the televised STP race on dvd for me i will pay all cost's, I live round the corner from John Fletcher he still has his Elan, i am sure would like to see it as well, regards Alan
Old 11 Jul 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2249474)   #40
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
cut7jag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plastic Pearson

Hi John

Yes Plastic raced first his XK120 Drophead, you can see it's a drophead by the wider body colour screen pillars against the XK120 OTS, which had a much finer chrome screen surround. The second photo is his later XK140 ( I AM 31 ) ... Hope the photos load cos it's my first try at loading !!.

Thanks cut7jag ( Gary )
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic pearson 2.jpg   PLASTIC PEARSON XK.JPG  
Old 11 Jul 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2249480)   #41
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
Mk2 ... Wide Load !!

Hi TLRACING

I must thank you for the ebay tip-off of this awesome MK2, Tony Williams of Risca Garages / Wales raced this in the UK & Canada after he emigrated there taking it with him ( he came back !! ). I spoke with Jaimie who is selling the car minus engine, he could not find photos of the car when it raced so I sent him these I had. He was well chuffed and even said he may keep it now and restore it. After speaking with Tony W. before he told me he modified the MK2's in the later years as 'mid-engined' as this car was. Looking closely at the photos I think car 17 is in the UK with UK reg plates seen in the background and Cardiff sponsor, car 31 is Canada and car 33 is also Canada with Canadian plates on the E-types in the distance .... front shot I could be UK.

Thanks cut7jag ( Gary )
Attached Thumbnails
RISCA W MKII.JPG   RISCA WHITE.JPG   RISCA MODSPORTS 2.JPG  

RISCA MODSPORTS.JPG  
Old 11 Jul 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2249484)   #42
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was told by Jon Fletcher and his wife a few years ago at the SMRC 50th Anniversary that Jon sold his car for next to nothing, the guy sold it for tens of thousands a few years/months later. Nice couple, happy to talk, they were on our table. We met Whizzo Williams too that night.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2249502)   #43
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
Rob Beere E-types

Hi Everyone

Just wondered if anyones into the Rob Beere E-types ?.
Rob's prepared cars were driven by Malcolm Hamilton, you can tell what year each car ran in because it has that number on the car. Here are just a few of the many I have of this ever developing beast ending up at 7.4 litre. The 2000 ( 00 ) photo was taken by me at Donnington when Malc was made to start from the pit lane. He had taken pole but was 10 seconds late getting to the grid, he came screaming out of the pit lane in last place with his 'dander up' over taking 12 cars on the first lap, Win Percy had gone in the Don Law prepared XJ220 Jag but by lap 6 Malc was in 2nd place eventually winning but put a con-rod through the block just as he got past the flag. The white fire extinguisher powder is seen all over the car, the team very kindly sent me this piston from that wrecked engine ... I felt privelidged because they said things like this usually go on display in their 'bent cabinet'. In 2001 ( the year it got bent for good ) the car in new white & blue 'Lighthouse Group' livery broke the Woodbridge speed trials at 184mph before having to lift off because Malc had run out of runway !!. Has anyone else got any photos of the Beere Beasts ?.

Thanks cut7jag ( Gary )
Attached Thumbnails
ROB BEERE E 88.JPG   ROB BEERE ET.JPG   ROB BEERE  00.JPG  

ROB BEERE PISTON.JPG  
Old 12 Jul 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2249504)   #44
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
Hi Everyone

Just wondered if anyones into the Rob Beere E-types ?.
Rob's prepared cars were driven by Malcolm Hamilton, you can tell what year each car ran in because it has that number on the car. Here are just a few of the many I have of this ever developing beast ending up at 7.4 litre. The 2000 ( 00 ) photo was taken by me at Donnington when Malc was made to start from the pit lane. He had taken pole but was 10 seconds late getting to the grid, he came screaming out of the pit lane in last place with his 'dander up' over taking 12 cars on the first lap, Win Percy had gone in the Don Law prepared XJ220 Jag but by lap 6 Malc was in 2nd place eventually winning but put a con-rod through the block just as he got past the flag. The white fire extinguisher powder is seen all over the car, the team very kindly sent me this piston from that wrecked engine ... I felt privelidged because they said things like this usually go on display in their 'bent cabinet'. In 2001 ( the year it got bent for good ) the car in new white & blue 'Lighthouse Group' livery broke the Woodbridge speed trials at 184mph before having to lift off because Malc had run out of runway !!. Has anyone else got any photos of the Beere Beasts ?.

Thanks cut7jag ( Gary )
Attached Thumbnails
ROB BEERE E WOODBRIDGE.jpg  
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:23 (Ref:2256306)   #45
ARTRACER1
Rookie

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markal
Hi Artracer1, loved Modsports, did you race against Ed Stevens, in the ex Brian Hough Tvr Tuscan? Would you put the televised STP race on dvd for me i will pay all cost's, I live round the corner from John Fletcher he still has his Elan, i am sure would like to see it as well, regards Alan
I live in Florida, so I dont know that a DVD I make will play in the UK... I'll look into it though. Jon was leading until an electrical problem put him out, handing the win to Pugsley in the Davrian.....
Old 24 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2257098)   #46
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cut7jag
Has anyone else got any photos of the Beere Beasts ?.

Thanks cut7jag ( Gary )
Gary - I have quite a lot of pictures of it but normally with Dad in the V8 Aston in close attendance!! I suppose it could be argued that the Inter Marque was a type of Modsports event.

Can't remember if I've posted this so here goes.

Old 26 Jul 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2258193)   #47
ARTRACER1
Rookie

United States
Charlotte, NC
aahhhhhhh....I can smell the Castrol R all the way from here.... Happy times...
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2260554)   #48
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pic!!!
ASK Racing have rebuilt 4 modsport Midgets here in Ireland and are running them in the Irish Historic Series (www.hrca.ie), they have a gallery on their website: www.askracing.com
They are also rebuilding my Davrian Imp Saloon which I hope to debut before the end of the season.......
Old 7 Aug 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2265285)   #49
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
Hi Gregor

Thanks for posting a picture, but by the time I got a chance ( now ) it's been removed ?.

Thanks Gary cut7jag
Old 7 Aug 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2265306)   #50
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cut7jag
Hi Gregor

Thanks for posting a picture, but by the time I got a chance ( now ) it's been removed ?.

Thanks Gary cut7jag
Sorry Gary (and anyone else where my photos have been deleted) - my photobucket account was being abused so I deleted all the photos other than of my car (which is not that important really). It was a photo of Dad in the Victor Raysbrook Elan with a modified Miget behind - if you want to pm me your e-mail address I'll e-mail it to you.