Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 17 Dec 2007, 03:03 (Ref:2090260)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Drivers

IMO he has been very underwhelming this year he hasn't improved since he steped in the car and has been in a fair few crashes, Will Power, Will Davison and even Marcus Marshall did alright on their drives in the car, maybe it's time to give a few of Australia's other Open Wheeler prospects a go such as Tim Blanchard, Tim Macrow, Leanne Tander etc.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 05:08 (Ref:2090293)   #2
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly these comments would seem to back up your point of view, and he has indeed been outdone by John Martin in the last few rounds. He did get that podium in Mexico last year though...

Quote:
Alan Jones A1 Team Australia Seatholder: “I am not happy with Ian’s performance or progress to date after having him in the car now for seven race meetings that equates to 14 races overall. We are spending a lot of time at the back of the grid. Improvement is vital for the team as the crew are doing a superb job, the pit stops impeccably quick at every round, a team who are setting performance standards in pit lane. We are not returning that from the cockpit as you can see from the results so far this season”

Rob Arnott Chief Engineer: “Not happy at all today with the result. We made some great changes to give Ian a quick car and never had that returned to the team in qualifying today”
Is the Team Aus seat a fully funded, choose the best available driver deal, or is it reliant on driver funding?
Old 17 Dec 2007, 06:38 (Ref:2090309)   #3
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What About Barton Mawer???
Old 17 Dec 2007, 06:56 (Ref:2090311)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know... just because the team says they are giving the driver a "quick car" doesnt necessarily make it so.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:09 (Ref:2090316)   #5
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow that's an amazingly pointed press release! Surely the relationship with Ian Dyk has a rather limited time period left on it now.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't have to look far for a replacement when John Martin is only 3/10ths off the eventual Sprint race winner in the rookie session.

Only question remaining surely is whether Ian Dyk has paid for his season and they can't remove him for contractual or financial reasons.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:24 (Ref:2090324)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When will Christian Jones make a reappearance
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:06 (Ref:2090463)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I read a comment on another, non-motorsport website that " Karl Reindler is lookig forward to New Zealand." Make of that what you will, but to me it suggests Taupo.

I don't think there's much wrong with John Martin, to be honest, but I agree that Ian Dyk has had his chance and it's time for someone else to have a go.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:24 (Ref:2090473)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Karl Reindler is abit better than Dyk but not by much, for me John Martin seems good aswell as the prospects i listed, but Karl had his time and wasn't much good ditto Dyk give Martin ago and i reckon that cafr might be a little higher up the grid.

but i heard Karl will be in the V8 Supercar Fujitsu series next year so maybe no A1 for him.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:34 (Ref:2090523)   #9
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Karl a good car and it will be up front. Last year the car was a pig to drive from what i have heard.

He is not scared to go wheel to wheel.

If any of you talk to him dont ask him about his Formula Vee accident. Biggest accident I have seen. (Wasnt his Fault though)

Barton would be blinding.

Or for a good joke (at other drivers and nations) stick in a certian young female with a western australia champion on her arm.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 02:52 (Ref:2091012)   #10
Stocky
Rookie

Stocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Martin has been at the pointy end of the 3 rounds he's run the Rookie sessions.

Often faster than a bunch of the front runners who stayed in as main drivers.

He had to run an engine in (wasted new tyres) for China (and the track got faster)

Dyke still couldn't beat Martin's time.

I'd bet Dyke's tipped a bucket of cash into it and Australia is doomed to the back of the grid for another season.

Last edited by Stocky; 18 Dec 2007 at 02:54.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:49 (Ref:2091801)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Dyk hasnt put any money into the ride. It was a year ago people were having a crack at Reindler and saying how it would be wise to put the young gun in (Dyk) to put the car where it should be. A year on, now Dyk's the problem? Dont think so.

Jones said that Team Aus needed driver consistency, about time he listened to his own advice.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:06 (Ref:2091808)   #12
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always wondered why Dyk replaced Reindler, but I think he should make way for Martin, even if he got that podium last year. Dyk's only part of the problem. I've said time and time again that having ADR as the technical team is the main reason Australia struggle.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:23 (Ref:2091814)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Webber is hanging around doing not so much in the offseason... why not a private test to bring the woofer up to speed.. then put anyone you like in there
Old 20 Dec 2007, 02:52 (Ref:2092423)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
maybe a race or 2 for Webber if possible (contracts permiting).
Old 20 Dec 2007, 19:27 (Ref:2092915)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peno
I've said time and time again that having ADR as the technical team is the main reason Australia struggle.
That's an interesting thought. Alan Jones had always been very supportive of the team, in public at least, but the fact is that they are not in the same league as the teams that are winning races, so you may well have a valid point. Maybe it's an Aussie loyalty thing.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 23:01 (Ref:2093037)   #16
Flatintop
Rookie

Flatintop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few facts about A1 Team Australia
The A1 Team AUS crew of ten personnel are totally seperate from ADR's F3 team. A1 Team AUS works independently because it's season overlaps most other categories.
Over the off season, A1 Team Australia went on a recruitment drive. This included acquiring the services of highly respected engineer Rob Arnott who's previous credits include Formula Nippon (2004 Champion), Formula 3000 (2 time champion with DAMS), Team Kool Green (US Champcar) and nine years in F1 as an engineer). Rob also turned the fortunes of A1 Team China around in Season 2 of A1GP, engineering the relatively unknown Chinese drivers into the spot light (remember Ho Pin Tungs podium at Eastern Creek!). New mechanics have also been brought into the team including two from top GP2 team Piquet Sport (2nd in the 2006 GP2 Championship with Nelso Piquet Jnr).
When Australian drivers of an international level have represented the team (Will Power and Ryan Briscoe), the team have achieved results.
Will Power, on his one and only apearance for A1 Team Australia, qualified fourth on the grid at the inaugural A1GP race at Brands Hatch. He went on to finish the feature race in 2nd place. The following week Will was offered a paid drive in Champ Car.
Ryan Briscoe started five rounds for A1 Team Australia. Ryan came away with 2 podiums out of five rounds (Shanghai & Zandvoort). Other highlights included 5th on the grid at Laguna Seca (on debut), and 5th on the grid at Sentul. Heavy rain affect both results at Laguna and Sentul. Following Indonesia, Ryan was offered a paid deal to for Penske in the US.
A1 Team Australia are in partnership with A1 Team Netherlands this season. This includes sharing of data and working on set-ups together. Both teams are known to of used almost identical set-ups this season. A1 Team Netherlands qualified on pole in Brno with an identical car!
A1 Team Australia have also set the fastest pit stop time in the feature race for the second consecutive event.
I don't think the finger can be pointed at the team this year!
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:55 (Ref:2093091)   #17
Stocky
Rookie

Stocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So put Martin in it and see how it really goes
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:05 (Ref:2093126)   #18
Flatintop
Rookie

Flatintop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Martin Rookie Session Results:
Rnd 1: Zandvoort
Comments: No rookie session.
Rnd 2: Brno
John Martin - 4th in the rookie session (0.290 sec behind 1st place Michael Ammermuller of Germany)
Comments: One position ahead of Adam Carroll (Ireland) who went on to qualify 4th for the sprint race.
Rnd 3: Sepang
John Martin - 3rd in rookie session (0.793 sec behind 1st place Oliver Jarvis of GBR who had tested at the circuit prior to the A1 event)
Comments: One position and 1 tenth of a second behind Sergio Jiminez (BRA) in the rookie session who ended up qualifying 7th for the sprint and 6th for the feature. Sergio finished 4th in the sprint race and 2nd in the feature (although was dropped to 3rd after a pit lane infringement).
Rnd 4: Zhuhai
John Martin - 6th in the rookie session (0.33 behind 1st place Michael Ammermuller of Germany)
Comments: John's time was affected by conducting install laps due to a new engine being fitted. Michael Ammermuller would end up qualifying on pole and win the sprint race.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:22 (Ref:2093131)   #19
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are being a bit insulting towards Ho Ping Tung. He was German F3 champion by that point. Part of the reason for China's improvement was using much better drivers than in season 1.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2093285)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Indeed, when Ho Pin Tung won the German F3 Cup he actually beat Nico Hülkenberg, although Nico handicapped himself a bit by switching cars halfway through the season.

It's quite impressive that China has managed to produce two very useful drivers without being a country with a motor racing background, although I suppose there are so many people in China that potentially there must be many good drivers over there!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 01:45 (Ref:2093619)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatintop
A few facts about A1 Team Australia
The A1 Team AUS crew of ten personnel are totally seperate from ADR's F3 team. A1 Team AUS works independently because it's season overlaps most other categories.
Over the off season, A1 Team Australia went on a recruitment drive. This included acquiring the services of highly respected engineer Rob Arnott who's previous credits include Formula Nippon (2004 Champion), Formula 3000 (2 time champion with DAMS), Team Kool Green (US Champcar) and nine years in F1 as an engineer). Rob also turned the fortunes of A1 Team China around in Season 2 of A1GP, engineering the relatively unknown Chinese drivers into the spot light (remember Ho Pin Tungs podium at Eastern Creek!). New mechanics have also been brought into the team including two from top GP2 team Piquet Sport (2nd in the 2006 GP2 Championship with Nelso Piquet Jnr).
When Australian drivers of an international level have represented the team (Will Power and Ryan Briscoe), the team have achieved results.
Will Power, on his one and only apearance for A1 Team Australia, qualified fourth on the grid at the inaugural A1GP race at Brands Hatch. He went on to finish the feature race in 2nd place. The following week Will was offered a paid drive in Champ Car.
Ryan Briscoe started five rounds for A1 Team Australia. Ryan came away with 2 podiums out of five rounds (Shanghai & Zandvoort). Other highlights included 5th on the grid at Laguna Seca (on debut), and 5th on the grid at Sentul. Heavy rain affect both results at Laguna and Sentul. Following Indonesia, Ryan was offered a paid deal to for Penske in the US.
A1 Team Australia are in partnership with A1 Team Netherlands this season. This includes sharing of data and working on set-ups together. Both teams are known to of used almost identical set-ups this season. A1 Team Netherlands qualified on pole in Brno with an identical car!
A1 Team Australia have also set the fastest pit stop time in the feature race for the second consecutive event.
I don't think the finger can be pointed at the team this year!
YEP ... precisely. Any time a REAL top class driver has been in the car it has (amazingly) performed. In A1GP unlike F1, there is a much bigger variation in driver ability than car speed.

Dyk is out of his league - no doubt about this - and should be sacked immediately otherwise the season is worthless. I'm also not convinced that John Martin is the answer because he has been off the pace of competitive guys (0.3 sec is an eternity).

Unfortunately, I don't have the answers about who to put in but it's time to have a "shootout" between all the likely young guns. For what its worth, I think these cars wouls suit Leanne Tander so I'd like to see her have a drive. I also think her aggression suits the category.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 11:54 (Ref:2093731)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What's wrong with Tim Macrow, reigning AF3 champion, taking the thing for a spin?
Old 22 Dec 2007, 14:02 (Ref:2093787)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
well i think give all or some of the guys i mentioned in my opening post (including Leanne and Tim) a test in the car with the winner getting the drive, this season with Dyk can't be helping with sponsers etc considering the team in pitstops etc are really on the pace and our set-up's are like the Netherlands than we should be up there.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2094773)   #24
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is time for him to go. hes unproforming. John martin isn't much better in my opinion. I would put Daniel Ricciardo in it (rookie Team AUS Driver)
Old 26 Dec 2007, 08:22 (Ref:2094917)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So what happens when Team Aus puts in the next "young hope" and he goes just as badly??