Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Was Jason's action in taking the place, wrong or right.
Wrong, in taking the place 104 83.87%
Right, in taking the place 20 16.13%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3051928)   #1
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Plato, wrong or right

British Touring Car star Jason Plato was furious to be penalised for the Brands Hatch race one accident with Dave Newsham.

Plato's works MG6 attempted to pass the ES Racing Vauxhall Vectra, which was overtaking Matt Neal's Honda, on the approach to Paddock. As the track narrowed the two made contact and Newsham was fired into the gravel.

Plato has been handed a £750 fine and three points on his licence, but feels the incident was not his fault.

"At some point if someone is alongside you, you have to choose to acknowledge it and give them room or ignore them," said the double champion. "If you ignore it things can happen.

"I'm annoyed I've been penalised when it wasn't my fault. He caused the incident by not giving me racing room."

Newsham felt that Plato was to blame.

"I saw Jason there, so I was defending," he said. "There was no way there was enough room to get by.

"I'm gobsmacked - it was clumsy."
Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:46 (Ref:3051929)   #2
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato was totally in the wrong, they need to take a look at the exceeding track limits rule because Plato definately did that in the pit exit trying this move, should have been disqualified, utter idiot.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3051931)   #3
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
Plato was totally in the wrong, they need to take a look at the exceeding track limits rule because Plato definately did that in the pit exit trying this move, should have been disqualified, utter idiot.
Gordon Shedden disqualified from Brands Hatch British Touring Car Championship race three

must be on special offer this weekend! lol
Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3051940)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Rubbish, exceeding the track limits requires all 4 wheels to be off the circuit, he only had one or two off the track.

In terms of the incident, it's not the worst I've seen, yes Plato put his nose in there but there was a big gap to put it in, newsham could have given Plato room and they would have both made it around, however it was a bit naughty of Plato to put his nose in there
Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3051943)   #5
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Rubbish, exceeding the track limits requires all 4 wheels to be off the circuit, he only had one or two off the track.

In terms of the incident, it's not the worst I've seen, yes Plato put his nose in there but there was a big gap to put it in, newsham could have given Plato room and they would have both made it around, however it was a bit naughty of Plato to put his nose in there
well that accident is just as good as the move that Johnny Adam tried on him when he drove the Lacetti and Adam got disqualified for that did he not?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3051946)   #6
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the BTCC 2 people in recent years have got away with more than the other 20+ cars on the grid. As mentioned other driver HAVE been DQ'd for taps into paddock even if the leading driver did not go off.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3051953)   #7
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
well that accident is just as good as the move that Johnny Adam tried on him when he drove the Lacetti and Adam got disqualified for that did he not?
I was thinking the same thing
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3051954)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaddockrunner View Post
Gordon Shedden disqualified from Brands Hatch British Touring Car Championship race three

must be on special offer this weekend! lol
Which was due to a breach of parc ferme rules and nothing to do with driving standards. I guess you have already made your mind up on this and are trying to make a point but don''t let the facts get in the way of that.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3051964)   #9
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was a normal race i would say wrong ! But this is BTCC if you leave an inch of space its there to be exploited ! Perhaps they are trying to clean up there act

Every pre race briefing ive been to they state this is not BTCC so no stupid moves ! Its hard a rep to shake.

Jasons performance in race 3 was astonishing this shouldnt detract from that

Ian
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3051972)   #10
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The penalty Plato has been given is meaningless. He kept his position in the race and on the following grid.
If you want to cut down on the BTCC nerf to pass specials you need to bring in drive through penalties that actually penalise the offenders in the races.
Plato isn't the only one at it in the BTCC but he did nerf/tap/rub to pass in all three races today.

I'm also sure the support series drivers see what the "stars" get away with and try it on in their races, hence the carnage at most TOCA meetings.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3051982)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The penalty Plato has been given is meaningless. He kept his position in the race and on the following grid.
Let's be honest, it'd ruin a good TV show if it was any more severe wouldn't it.

He was stupid to make that move. At the start he's all "I'll be happy with some points", then he does something like that. Not that it surprises me! How he can blame Newsham when DN was concentrating on passing Neal is beyond me.

I expect his PR spies have logged this thread and a reply will be coming shortly with all sorts of telemetry details.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3052001)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Plato would have whinged until the cows came home if he was the one taken out. Newsham did nothing wrong whatsoever, and was taken out by an "overambitious " Plato..
Old 1 Apr 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3052021)   #13
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Plato would have whinged until the cows came home if he was the one taken out. Newsham did nothing wrong whatsoever, and was taken out by an "overambitious " Plato..
This. Plato often can't 'take' what he 'gives' in terms of his racing style. It was a clumsy move, but he knew exactly what was going to happen. But then, are we really that surprised? It's Plato. It's the BTCC...
Old 2 Apr 2012, 04:50 (Ref:3052063)   #14
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen the relevant incident, only read the first line of th OP and I've never posted in this part of the site. But Jason Plato is wrong!
Old 2 Apr 2012, 06:50 (Ref:3052094)   #15
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"At some point if someone is alongside you, you have to choose to acknowledge it and give them room or ignore them," said the double champion. "If you ignore it things can happen.

I never saw Platos car "Along side" it looked like an old oval trick to me in that he tapped the offside rear corner of the other car which then pushes them off, if you look at Platos car you will see that just the nearside front corner was damaged so how on earth could he have been along side????

I am a Plato fan but this time he was definatly wrong IMHO.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3052097)   #16
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Plato showed his lack of class in spades yesterday. He desevred a harsher penalty in my opinion.

Also, his 'I'm not fast enough or skilled enough to get past you (Andrew Jordan) so i will just push you past the apex and take the position' trick would have landed him on his head if he tried that with me. Cynical, cynical driving.

I might sound like a bitter Plato-hater, but it just sets such a bad example to young drivers.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3052118)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The most annoying thing about it is that Jason is a good driver - you can see that from the times he sets in the car, they're quick and consistent. The problem is that when it comes to overtaking he's worked out that the "push to pass" approach works well and doesn't get penalised - so why do anything different. The pass on Newsham was never on, if you're having to use the pit lane exit and grass then surely that's a bit of a clue?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3052121)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
In fairness, he did get punished, a fine, and 3 points on his licence, so its not like he got away "scott free". True, it doesn't give back Newsham the place or a race win.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3052124)   #19
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. As I watched Plato take the line I started to say "this is going to end badly" and I'd barely got the line out before Newsham was heading for the kitty litter.

If Plato had been fully alongside him I'd say fair enough, but he just had the nose of the car past him. He should have backed off.

Jason is a great driver and a good personality (when he isn't moaning). As has been said Race 3 was an excellent demonstration of what a talent he is, but that "overtake" was a clumsy move at best.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3052126)   #20
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught up with it on youtaube (out marshalling for the 750 Motor Club yesterday - very entertaining and fair racing).

There is no way that Plato could be described as being "alongside" Newsham's car. Clearly in the wrong this time and has some gall to be complaining. Unfortunately he's not the only exponent of this move - Matt Neal and Rob Collard also use it a lot.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3052130)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was a mad keen & enthusiastic BTCC supporter from the early eighties up until just after the end of the turbo cars.
Since that time I have become an increasingly 'casual observer'.
I didn't see the race on TV yesterday, and can't currently summon up enough enthusiasm/interest or find the time to find it on you-tube.
From my 'casual observer' position however it would seem that whenever there's a controversial incident in the BTCC, Jason Plato's name usually features.
This type of arrogant and dangerous driving should be stamped out, and let's remind people that the initials stand for British Touring Car Championship and not Bash The Car Clear!

Last edited by VIVA GT; 2 Apr 2012 at 08:33. Reason: Spelllling!
Old 2 Apr 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3052161)   #22
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In fairness, he did get punished, a fine, and 3 points on his licence, so its not like he got away "scott free". True, it doesn't give back Newsham the place or a race win.
It wasn't much of a punishment though. The series needs to be stricter on driving like that!
Old 2 Apr 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3052174)   #23
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
You're not "alongside" if you use your front bumper to deliberately nudge the leading car's rear bumper- end of.

It's against all the principles of the sport. We've had "hard" drivers thoughout history, but they were fair (Black Jack etc.). How long before everyone in the field tries that one?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3052233)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
That's no punishment. For a punishment to be effective it's got to hit them where it hurts - loss of championship points.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3052237)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I was a mad keen & enthusiastic BTCC supporter from the early eighties up until just after the end of the turbo cars.
Since that time I have become an increasingly 'casual observer'.
I didn't see the race on TV yesterday, and can't currently summon up enough enthusiasm/interest or find the time to find it on you-tube.
Me too.