Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 May 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3540173)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2015 Detroit

Entry list is finally out. Looks like 25 cars split between P, GTD and PC. Quality over quantity right?

Schedule

Entry List

Weather

Track Map

Session Results

Video Links: 1 2 VLC

Spotters Guides

Radio
Old 22 May 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3540177)   #2
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope the P2 and the Mazda could do a good race. Can't wait to see the Mazda with a petrol engine next year.

Thanks for the information.
Old 22 May 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3540181)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Hope the P2 and the Mazda could do a good race. Can't wait to see the Mazda with a petrol engine next year.

Thanks for the information.
I was wondering if the Mazda can keep it close during this race due to the nature of the track. Get a few yellows and they could stay on lead lap by the end (assuming they don't break)....
Old 22 May 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3540184)   #4
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was wondering if the Mazda can keep it close during this race due to the nature of the track. Get a few yellows and they could stay on lead lap by the end (assuming they don't break)....
That could be great ! but you know, is almost a dream. I think the Ligier would do well there. It's time for a P2 victory.
Old 23 May 2015, 03:18 (Ref:3540324)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
That could be great ! but you know, is almost a dream. I think the Ligier would do well there. It's time for a P2 victory.
In GA there was a lot of "rubbing" at this race but I don't remember last year's race or if there was much contact. Either way it looks like a strong DP event to me.
Old 23 May 2015, 04:37 (Ref:3540327)   #6
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In GA there was a lot of "rubbing" at this race but I don't remember last year's race or if there was much contact. Either way it looks like a strong DP event to me.
It was a major contact heavy race in P and gtd.

Not really to excited for this race,but I'll try to find a way to watch if I can.
Old 23 May 2015, 04:50 (Ref:3540328)   #7
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Detroit I feel does seem to provide good racing for sportscars surprisingly. I remember it was a good race last year, but this track I don't think is very good for P2 however.
Old 23 May 2015, 17:25 (Ref:3540431)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Long straights and tight corners make this very much a DP track.
Old 23 May 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3540488)   #9
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Long straights and tight corners make this very much a DP track.
So you're saying P2s are most suited to a mile flat oval?
Old 24 May 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3540561)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
So you're saying P2s are most suited to a mile flat oval?
They actually would be.

A place like Milwaukee or New Hampshire would suit them very well.
Old 24 May 2015, 09:27 (Ref:3540585)   #11
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
They actually would be.

A place like Milwaukee or New Hampshire would suit them very well.
Or Iowa Speedway. It even has an infield course.

But since the topic was about Detroit GP, who's gonna be the first one to mention some GM and Corvette conspiracies?
Old 24 May 2015, 14:37 (Ref:3540662)   #12
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Or Iowa Speedway. It even has an infield course.

But since the topic was about Detroit GP, who's gonna be the first one to mention some GM and Corvette conspiracies?
Um..you?
Old 24 May 2015, 14:49 (Ref:3540670)   #13
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I will throw it out there the GM / Corvette Conspiracy is already a Done Deal .Not hoping for them to wreck BUT Any Breakdowns after lap 2 would Not bother me in the Least .
Old 24 May 2015, 22:38 (Ref:3540858)   #14
Rcz
Veteran

United States
P2 cars excell at tracks with fast turn like Mosport and COTA but Shanks ain't going to show the true power of a P2 car any time soon.
Old 25 May 2015, 17:56 (Ref:3541125)   #15
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TUSC Pick 'Em for Belle Isle http://nasportscar.com/2014-tusc-pick-em/
Old 27 May 2015, 16:01 (Ref:3541774)   #16
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i will agree with others that the DP's will have the advantage here due to track configuration
Old 28 May 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3542069)   #17
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will anyone be at the track Saturday? This is my home race, so I'll be there for sure!
Old 28 May 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3542122)   #18
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only 1 Mazda this weekend, the other is staying in the shop to "continue development"....
Old 28 May 2015, 16:40 (Ref:3542136)   #19
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Only 1 Mazda this weekend, the other is staying in the shop to "continue development"....
I hope they will be trying to fit a non diesel v6 for 2016
Old 28 May 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3542142)   #20
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Would be great for the racing program.. not sure how it fits with their current road car marketing and promotion though...
Old 28 May 2015, 17:49 (Ref:3542153)   #21
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Would be great for the racing program.. not sure how it fits with their current road car marketing and promotion though...
Me neither, it's just a desire expression. I don't think they have a current v6 on the market, just 4 in line.

Nice article about Mazda v6 engines. Sadly last Mazda v6 on the market are from more than ten years ago.
http://www.tsentraal.ee/mx6/engine/SAE920677.htm
Old 28 May 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3542160)   #22
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
What marketing program though? Mazda hasn't brought over its Diesel Skyactive motor to the U.S and it doesn't seem like its going to appear at all. I see zero ads about the racing program, zero ads about Mazda Diesels etc... It would be more relevant if they were using the 2.0L or 2.5L I4 Petrol engines for their base rather than the Diesel. At least they sell those engines over here.
Old 28 May 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3542177)   #23
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Well it's probably a good idea since one of their cars seem like it never leaves the pits. They should just use one car for racing and experimenting.
Old 28 May 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3542180)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
About the only car companies I see really marketing diesels here in the US aside from large pick up trucks are Audi and VW, both of which are owned by Volkswagen Group. Not even Mercedes-Benz and BMW are pushing diesels very much, though they do sell them here as well.

At least with the testing that Audi Sport does here in the spring and the WEC round at COTA, at least we can say that Audi are "racing what they sell", though the Audi WEC/LM24 and Mazda IMSA programs can't be more worlds apart in reality, which has been discussed before.

Also, VAG, Daimler AG and BMW are larger and more awash with cash than Mazda is, especially since Ford is no longer controlling shareholder at Mazda (Ford owns less percentage of stake in Mazda than they do at Aston Martin, with Ford still claims ownership of about 10% of AM, and that's if Ford owns any stock in Mazda at all).

As for Detroit, just remember last year's race. Even if the DP's are slower in qualifying, they have enough power to get in front down a straight and pretty much control the pace from there on out.
Old 28 May 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3542204)   #25
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The next MazdaSpeed3 is supposed to be unveiled in a few months with a 2.5L turbocharged gas-powered I4.

If Mazda went away from the diesel, I suspect it'd be for a hotted up version of this engine (which may or may not improve things for them).