Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should Ron Have Signed Tommy Byrne?
Yes 3 15.79%
No 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Feb 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3797543)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well most people might not be aware that a significant portion of the current F1 grid has been through driver training with Rob Wilson using a Vauxhall road car. If you can't be precise and smooth with a road car it's only going to be exacerbated in an F1 car.

There is actually much that can be learned and to me you can never learn enough. We have coaches in every other sport and I think only in recent years have people come to understand that drivers need them as well. I think any driver that would consider coaching as patronizing is a complete moron.

I'm not a complete JYS fan but I do remember in the earlier seasons around 2005 or so, JYS taking James May around a track in a road car and by the end had shaved 20 seconds off his time.

Jan Magnussen was another who might have had a little turn of speed but never had the mental application or desire to be champion. I think he had his chances with McLaren, Stewart and in CART and he just couldn't keep it together. Again another person that would have benefited from a coach.
To be fair i was specifically referring to JYS rather comical attitude to his drivers, and not referring to professional driver coaches.

I am sure that Rob Wilson or the other guy (can't remember his name..) at least show their pupils some element of respect and intelligence.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3797614)   #32
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
To be fair i was specifically referring to JYS rather comical attitude to his drivers, and not referring to professional driver coaches.

I am sure that Rob Wilson or the other guy (can't remember his name..) at least show their pupils some element of respect and intelligence.
JYS has had a lot of goofy opinions over the years, but one thing you can say when they ran PSR in the lower formula was they worked to get their drivers looking and acting professional as well as having standards in terms of drivers learning their professions. The drivers who passed through that team overall seemed to have pretty decent careers or at least a shot at a decent pro career.

So in regards to Jan, I think JYS was trying to get him to get it together and after giving him his chance they had to let him go. At the end of the day this is a ruthless brutal industry of results and you either do the work or you get cut and shown the door. JYS was his boss, Jan was just a young guy that hardly knew anything at all and again, get with the program or find new employment. Personally I don't think he was ever that great anyways. I think he was just the Autosport man of the moment.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3798378)   #33
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely NOT! Ron Dennis should have signed the true 1982 British F3 Champion, the Argentinian driver Quique Mansilla, who was the best on the entire F3 grid, but due to political causes (Falklands et al) couldn't shine because his incomes were blocked by the European parliament. Mansilla could still compete because the team owner was sure the money invested by Financiera Munro will be given to him when the disclosure of the funds would be allowed.

Aside that, Byrne had a rocambolesque style of life to be a proper serious racing driver. James Hunt, despite his lifestyle, was more correct than him. Byrne has to be grateful to have these three GGPPs he got in Theodore, because when teams owners knew about his manners, they highly will doubt (as they did) that Tommy could be responsible enought to have a serious F1 campaign.

And Tommy's racing carreer after that largely proved what I said on these lines.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3798397)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Definitely he needed a manager did Tommy. In fact he think he actually said he wishes he had one when he went to meet Ron to discuss a contract, as his attitude let him down.