Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3791926)   #16
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
That puts an end to the rumour that Kvyat was to be signed as Williams third driver for 2018.

If Raikkonen doesn't do well in the first half of the season, what's Kvyat's chances of taking his seat? IMO, I think Kvyat would do a better job of the #2 driver at Ferrari.
Pretty slim. They have Giovinnazi as the official nominated reserve..... this test and development title is just a fancy term for simulator ***** in blunt terms.

Vergne had the role back when he was 'unemployed' after being released by STR. I dont believe he ever got any real track mileage in the role. With the limited testing these days Ferrari wont waste days on him, and the rookie tests are something which Kvyat wont be eligible for (72 GP starts). Gutierrez was another to take the test and development role at Ferrari... he slipped in and out of Haas after.

My opinion.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3791965)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Kyvat still has talent somewhere, that's why they signed him, but if he ever wants to come back to F1, he needs to learn how not to throw it off the track or into other cars
Old 11 Jan 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3792028)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Time to start selling red cars to Russian oligarchs.
Yeah, sounds to me like the 'We have a new factory driver to show you have to drive your new toy' position. With some simulation work mixed in as well. And possibly some GT work as a loaned driver in the future, if teams are interested in Russian sponsor cash.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3792038)   #19
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Kyvat still has talent somewhere, that's why they signed him, but if he ever wants to come back to F1, he needs to learn how not to throw it off the track or into other cars
My perception is that for a simulation driver a few things would be very helpful...

1. Accurate and usable feedback
2. Experience in the actual car, or in similar car
3. Enough talent to drive the car to the limit (expose the full performance envelope).

I have no idea about #1 for Kyvat. But I expect he checks the boxes for #2 (good number of race starts) and #3 (he can be quick). What seems to be the issue for Kyvat is getting lost in his own mind games and resulting lack of focus and ultimately performance. And... competitive situations seem to aggrevate this. His negatives may not be exposed as a test/simulation driver. This may be a win for Ferrari. However I am not sure its a great career move for Kyvat. He should look for success outside F1 IMHO.

Richard
Old 11 Jan 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3792073)   #20
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, sounds to me like the 'We have a new factory driver to show you have to drive your new toy' position. With some simulation work mixed in as well. And possibly some GT work as a loaned driver in the future, if teams are interested in Russian sponsor cash.
Risi could use the money to run a full season gtlm....
Old 11 Jan 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3792074)   #21
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
That puts an end to the rumour that Kvyat was to be signed as Williams third driver for 2018.

If Raikkonen doesn't do well in the first half of the season, what's Kvyat's chances of taking his seat? IMO, I think Kvyat would do a better job of the #2 driver at Ferrari.
If Vettel is in contention for a title, they could put him Raikkonen's seat and let him crash out the mercs I guess.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 06:13 (Ref:3793257)   #22
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Scuderia Toro Rosso the first team to announce that their car has passed all FiA crash tests for 2018.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3793284)   #23
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised to see $troll and $irotkin start to improve about mid season. I'm thinking with Kubica's input from the track and the simulator sessions, the Williams cars might just perform better than expected.

On the other hand, if they do perform better than expected, with $troll and $irotkin in particular further up the grid, it would mean the end of any chance of a fulltime drive for Kubica. Because all people will see is $troll and $irotkin doing well, and Kubica will be forgotten even though he is the reason they are doing well.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3793287)   #24
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
I also see the chance of the old carrot & stick approach to the two younger drivers. If one of them doesn't appear to be performing, they could be 'rested' for a race or two whilst Williams stick Polish Bob in the car. (Not sure how the youngsters money supply might affect this, but it is another possible angle).

Last edited by VIVA GT; 17 Jan 2018 at 11:25. Reason: Splellinge
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3793288)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
This may be a win for Ferrari. However I am not sure its a great career move for Kyvat. He should look for success outside F1 IMHO.
He could possibly make the move into a factory supported sportscar drive? (Like Fisichella did) So do the F1 simulator work, drive in sportscars and get a nice company car. Not a bad gig!
Old 17 Jan 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3793298)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
I just hope Williams prove people wrong, they could do, as they did in 2012. You never know
Old 17 Jan 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3793319)   #27
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
He could possibly make the move into a factory supported sportscar drive? (Like Fisichella did) So do the F1 simulator work, drive in sportscars and get a nice company car. Not a bad gig!
It would be a sweet gig, but is more suited for a successful driver on the back side of his career? When you say "factory supported" are you saying Ferrari? Because that would just be a GT program (not taking anything away from GT drivers, but maybe below him at this point in his career?). He should should be looking for an Indycar or a prototype program.

Richard
Old 17 Jan 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3793333)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It would be a sweet gig, but is more suited for a successful driver on the back side of his career? When you say "factory supported" are you saying Ferrari? Because that would just be a GT program (not taking anything away from GT drivers, but maybe below him at this point in his career?). He should should be looking for an Indycar or a prototype program.
Sorry - yes I meant GT (anything endurancy is 'sportscars' to me!). A season in WEC would be pretty good I'd have thought - there's not much out there in the way of Factory prototype drives and is Indycar a better option for his career? Maybe if he wants to stay there but it does look to be a bit of a dead end.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3793337)   #29
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
and is Indycar a better option for his career? Maybe if he wants to stay there but it does look to be a bit of a dead end.
I really don't follow Indycar (used to long ago), but I suspect some might say a successful Indycar career might not be a bad thing to have... even if it is a "dead end". It also speaks to the point mentioned here somewhere (maybe not this thread) in that successful Indycar drivers may not view it as a move up to switch to a mid-field F1 team and drive around in the middle or back of the pack. Just to say you raced in F1?

If he moved to Indycar and didn't do well (assuming with good team) then... maybe not good for his career prospects in general (failure in two top tier series).

Richard
Old 17 Jan 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3793415)   #30
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No top WEC or Indycar team would take Kubica, when was the last time he drove in a competitive series?, think his level would be more Blancpain GT