Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jul 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1976520)   #1
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Time to go home Dan and Kathy!

I am an Englishman living in the USA, and love to see the Brits doing in the series over here, but I have had enough!

It is time for Speedy Dan and Legge to go. Dan has some raw talent, but is too hot and cold (mainly cold) to compete. He is forever making mistakes, and will I will be amazed if he is in Champ Car in 2008. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes sooner!
Kathy is out of here league, time to move on to a series where you don’t languish at the back all days.

We have some quality British drivers, they aren’t two of them!
Old 30 Jul 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1976555)   #2
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, time to "Park the Clarke"
Old 30 Jul 2007, 18:17 (Ref:1976562)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes. Dan was impressive last year but this year he has crashed even more and Nelson deserves his driver back!

As for Legge I donno...

But us brits still have Wilson and Dalziel.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1976571)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I know Katie from the days when she used to race karts. Lovely girl. Sadly not an absolutely top notch driver but, well, Champcar is no longer a top notch series. It'd be a shame to lose her. Who else is gonna want to join the series if nothing else?

Dan, on the other hand, I would love to see leave. I don't rate him at all and really don't think he'd be any loss whatsoever.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1976633)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dan has a fair bit of talent, but it really does need harnessed somehow. He could do well in the right environment. However, right now, he is abysmal basically. I do hope it gets better for him.

Katherine is really out of her depth. It's strange, because I thought she made a good start in Champcars but she seems to have gotten progressively worse rather than better as you'd expect. It's a shame, I wonder if the Road America shunt has perhaps affected her? Not for me to say though really.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 20:12 (Ref:1976657)   #6
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
Dan did seem to make progress last year, and I thought his sophomore (2nd) year would be a lot better. Alas he has shown time and time again this season that he is a loose cannon with little road sense and VERY slow reaction times!

I wish Ms Legge would move to IRL. She looked pretty good on the oval last year and I feel that she would give Danica a run out for her money….which is more than can be said for Duno and Fisher!
Old 30 Jul 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1976718)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Katherine had her moments. Personally I like her. She's sexy but seriously at Milwaukee last year she was leading and that was her first oval race. I think she got a top 5. She was heading for a top 5 at Road America until her terrible accident. In some races last year she did spin a few times. But lets remember she was in PKV who were poor and now Dale Coyne who arent amazing but I love to see them do well.

This year I haven't seen much of her. But I think she is a very nice girl and a credit to the series. I think in a top team she could improve and showcase what she has.

Dan last year was erratic at times but he was so fast. He could have won San Jose last year but his car broke down. He showed real emotion and we all felt sorry for him as he was starting to get it together.

I thought this year he would be a top 5 driver and wouldn't be erratic. Last year pace wise he took to Champ Car so quick. Now he's got worse! How the heck he crashes under yellow at Houston and again at San Jose into Wilson was just poor. I think he should be known as Dangerous Dan Clarke.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:06 (Ref:1976742)   #8
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Dan Clarke

Las Vegas - contact
Long Beach - 12
Houston - contact
Portland - 6
Cleveland - 11
Mont Tremblant - mechanical
Toronto - contact
Edmonton - 8
San Jose - contact

results so far: starts 9 : DNFs 5 : contact 4

... it looks like he is something out of control... Speedy Dan Crash
and I don't believe the team is amused
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1976764)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
katherine doesn't have enough experience to maximise the opportunity she has at Dale Coyne.
Last year the team was able to help her more engineering wise but this isn't happening this year and is the reason for the languishing further down the field.
As for Dan, I dunno....

What Champcar does need is another half dozen good North American drivers to set up a trans national battle at the front of the field. If that happened you would have something much more promotable to the public too.

If Scott Speed ended up in champcar next year plus another three or four drivers of similar ability in good teams you would really have a real fight at the front of the field.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 01:27 (Ref:1976810)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
katherine doesn't have enough experience to maximise the opportunity she has at Dale Coyne.
Last year the team was able to help her more engineering wise but this isn't happening this year and is the reason for the languishing further down the field.
I was about to say exactly that until I got down here and saw you got here first.
Both Bruno and Servia showed that a driver with good feedback and talent can make the car reasonably competitive. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarke in the Coyne car and somebody more consistent in the Minardi car.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1977211)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes, Scott Speed at Newman/Haas next to Graham Rahal. Two yanks in Paul Newman's team.

Plus into the Atlantic's series and bring in a few more Americans along with other talent from there like their champion with his $2 mill.

I think drivers from the US should be setting the mark like they used to. There probably is too much of an element of European racing...blocking etc..Accoridng to Bourdais. that is.

AJ allmendinger was perfect. A very fast driver who won many times, a great personality. I really hope he returns to Champ Car and not sitting out of the field after not making the show for Toyota in the Cup races each week.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1977240)   #12
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
I will be interesting to see how SeaBass will do in the T/R next year. Being in the NewmanHaas team is like having the key to the executive toilet in heaven. The Newman/Haas annual budget is almost as much as all the other teams combined. Newman/Haas have a wind tunnel where most other teams use flatulent obese people in a two car garage!

But like I said, Katie in IRL and Dan in a Ford Cortina 1.3lx!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1977315)   #13
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations, I agree with everyone!

I would truly hate to see Kate go, she is such a warm, earnest person. I think she just lost her confidence. Perhaps she should have remained in FA another year but the competition there would have been too much, what with Graham and Simon.
As for Crash Dan, I think Élan should give Minardi a discount, or perhaps a commission? on DP01 parts. He is dangerous!
Old 1 Aug 2007, 02:19 (Ref:1977788)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dangerous Dan I was looking for an improvement this year, especially considering the team has stepped it up. He's either stayed the same or gone backwards not good.

Kat I suggested on another forum what she really needed was a driving coach to work with. I think there is potential there, but it is not being harnessed.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1977815)   #15
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont know if any of yous heard Shaw saying that if Bourdais does to f1 next year that Wilson is the favour to get his seat at newman-haas in 08.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1977951)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Legge is the second-string driver at a third-string team with fourth-string finance. Is anyone surprised she's not doing so well?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:48 (Ref:1978026)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Legge needs more than a driving coach. With a team like DCR, she needs an experienced engineer to help with the setups. The team is just not that deep with the staff needed to get to grips on a new car. that is why the more experienced drivers do better with Coyne: they already have a good grip on what works and what doesn't re: setups.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1978119)   #18
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO you're clutching at straws. Legge is never going to be good enough to warrant a seat on merit, whatever engineers and coaches you find. Never was, never will be.

As for Clarke, well he was known as Dangerous Dan and has proved that the title is well deserved.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1978143)   #19
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legge's an ok driver, I think she just needs a more family enviroment.

First time I met her was nearly 10 years ago when she was racing in the MG cup at Oulton Park. A lovely Lass.

If the team has little money nor the quality staff then ya can't blame her completely.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1978210)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Dan should be on probation and if he pulls off a dangerous move again ending someone elses races or crashing into someone under caution again he shouldn't be allowed to race imo. One or twice ok but not all the time like he is this year.

Bring back Nelson! Great character, a CC bred driver who turned into a good driver. He deserves the seat!
Old 1 Aug 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1978245)   #21
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM
IMO you're clutching at straws. Legge is never going to be good enough to warrant a seat on merit, whatever engineers and coaches you find. Never was, never will be.

As for Clarke, well he was known as Dangerous Dan and has proved that the title is well deserved.
The American presenters actually call him “Speedy Dan”
Old 1 Aug 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1978260)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes but he has also been known as dangerous cause well he is!
Old 1 Aug 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1978277)   #23
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
dan was speedy in the lola last year - impressive actually at some tracks for a rookie... this year, he has been poo, totally outclassed by robert doornbos - speedy dan, you are the weakest link - goodbye .... nelson phillipe must be kicking himself now
Old 1 Aug 2007, 15:12 (Ref:1978306)   #24
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
dan was speedy in the lola last year - impressive actually at some tracks for a rookie... this year, he has been poo, totally outclassed by robert doornbos - speedy dan, you are the weakest link - goodbye .... nelson phillipe must be kicking himself now

Nelson left because he thought it was wrong that he should pay for his drive. I wonder who is paying for Dans…..maybe some auto bodyshop repair company?

Dings-r-Us maybe?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1978500)   #25
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
The American presenters actually call him “Speedy Dan”
Well, 'Speedy' was the name chosen by Dan himself and his Manager. That was commuted to 'Dangerous' by the rest of the sport during the days when he seemed hell bent of wrecking every Formula Ford built.

Don't remember the detail but I do recall seeing him repeatedly wreck his cars at a meeting at Snetterton, which resulted in him having to move teams IIRC.