Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 3 Aug 2004, 23:16 (Ref:1055686)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disabled Access

what's the best UK circuit(s) for disabled access? the chap i work with is completely
wheelchairbound (he hates that expression, I claim 'bound' as in 'bound for the USA' not tied to... anyway he's wheelchair enabled)

everything, from the distance from the car to the track, the viewing, the likelihood of his electric wheelchair to be able to cope with the terrain, the standard of the loos needs to be considered....

any help would be gratefully received.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 23:36 (Ref:1055693)   #2
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Disabled Access

Quote:
Originally posted by Osella
the standard of the loos needs to be considered....any help would be gratefully received.

Well that pretty much rules out most UK circuits. From what I remember the paddock crappers at Donington were bloody awful. Are they still?
I would suggest Oulton, as the last time I was there, they had built new looos in the paddock which were fairly good.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 23:40 (Ref:1055696)   #3
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I would suggest that overall, Silverstone is going to have the best disabled facilities.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 06:16 (Ref:1055793)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Silverstone or Snetterton but Silverstone has the most variety of places to go and watch with loads of concrete and slopes and disabled toilets.
Snetterton you can drive to the edge of Russells.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1055854)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Why not drop Steve Tarrant a PM as he too is in a wheelchair and has first hand experience of the majority of UK circuits. I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1055857)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A number of circuits have park'n'view areas - Anglesey and Mallory spring to mind and at both you can see vast chunks of the circuit. At Mallory the terrain can be a bit on the rough side, as it can at Anglesey - but at the latter you'd have access to the paddock as well. I'm not sure how suitable the toilet facilities would be at either.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 08:57 (Ref:1055887)   #7
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The airfield circuits tend (obviously) to be the flattest. Silverstone does have a dedicated disabled viewing area near Luffield, although it may be tricky where to park, as infield would give you eaiest paddock access but worse track viewing. Donnington is likely to be next to impossible, especially if you park near Craner, where you'll have to go either up or down a relatively steep hill. The problem at most tracks is getting alongside the track, as the pathways are not usually concreted, although Silverstone does have good pathways down to Luffield. The problem with Oulton park is that the best places to view tend to be reasonably difficult to get to. If you parked on the outside at Lodge, you could possibly get a decent view from a wheelchair, but the problem is the height of the crash barriers, which are likely to get in your way.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1055900)   #8
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham has got to be worth a look being the newest circuit in the UK. There aim was to make the access & veiwing comfortable for everyone. Not sure how you gain access to the stands but i'm sure they would of catered for the disabled
Old 4 Aug 2004, 09:36 (Ref:1055917)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point - lots of lifts, surfaced pathways, probably disabled loos. Would be fine I would think.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1055945)   #10
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've pmed Steve. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Much as I love Silverstone, the sheer amount of time required to move about between viewing spots and the distance you have to go from the track whilst moving do rather militate against it in my mind...
Old 4 Aug 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1055962)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ianpearson
Rockingham has got to be worth a look being the newest circuit in the UK. There aim was to make the access & veiwing comfortable for everyone. Not sure how you gain access to the stands but i'm sure they would of catered for the disabled
Rockingham has lift access to each level of the stands and to the tunnel through to the inside of the circuit.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1055966)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
Donnington is likely to be next to impossible, especially if you park near Craner, where you'll have to go either up or down a relatively steep hill.
Donington has a dedicated disabled viewing area on the infield overlooking the Craner Curves, Old Hairpin & Schwantz Curve. It is at the top of the grass bank, tarmacked and cars and wheelchairs can park there but there's no cover unless you stay in the car. Cars access this area via the entrance & vehicle tunnel alongside the Exhibition Centre. As for toilet facilities...Hmmm....Not sure.

Give the circuits a ring and ask them what the facilities are. I am not too sure of the details but all buildings and facilities with any form of public access are supposed to comply with new disabled access and facilities regulations from Jan 2005 (I think). My wife will know the details, she's an Occupational Therapist, and I can ask if required.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1056010)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wondered whether the new buildings at Oulton should have disabled access? Not sure of the regulations on it and what is deemed "public access"?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1056019)   #14
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Similarly at Mallory. Certainly there they have lots of signs saying "no unauthorised access", which presumably indicates they are not public.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1056032)   #15
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe they are not public, but what if the officials, like myself, are disabled? Isn't that discrimination that bars me from working there????

Cheers

Steve
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1056036)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I'm not a lawyer but I do take your point. I imagine that the situation is further complicated by the fact that this doesn't represent normal employment and that there are jobs that can be done in accessible, ground-level areas.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1056099)   #17
mcurtis26
Veteran

The Disability Discrimination Act requires businesses to make such adjustments as are reasonable to make them accessible for disabled persons, be that staff or customers. Like in most areas of the law, reasonable is quite a broad term, but new buildings clearly should have lifts, ramps, disabled toilets etc.

I hadn't realised Donny had a paved area for wheelchairs. The circuits do seem to be doing more now to improve wheelchair access, but they are limited by the landscape in many cases.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1056122)   #18
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham has lift access to all the levels of the main grandstand, with stewards designated (at major meetings) to disabled bays at the top level.
There are also lifts at both ends of the tunnel to the pits.

Turn 1 and 4 grandstands have ramps for wheelchair users, with marked bays for they and their carers to use (Turn 1 provides an excellent view of the chicane).

There are numerous disabled toilets and the pathways are tarmac.

Wheelchair users wishing to view the post-race concerts can reach their own dedicated viewing area via a special trackway across the grass.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1056281)   #19
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
I hadn't realised Donny had a paved area for wheelchairs. The circuits do seem to be doing more now to improve wheelchair access, but they are limited by the landscape in many cases.
Hi,

Yes, there's tarmac'd space for 6-8 cars, complete with space between the cars for wheelchairs, overlooking Scwantz curve, and is a great viewing area (I know, I've used it a couple of times). The downside is the number of marshals and observers I have personally witnessed parking up on it, removing their kit and then walking down the slope to the post below, knowing they aren't going to need access to their cars at all during the day and depriving someone of the chance to use it correctly.

And in case anyone was going to ask the question "why didn't I say something, knowing what they were doing?" it's because I am just one individual on my own, and any time I have done so in the past, I have been sworn at, cursed, or told to get the BL**DY chip off my shoulder! And then people wonder why the disabled people come across as generally abusive!!!!

Anyway, hope you all understand now, and if you are able to do your bit and stop this parking abuse, please do so - you might just make someone's day and make them smile!

Steve
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1056315)   #20
mcurtis26
Veteran

I'm surprised that access to the disabled parking isn't controlled, i know i've had to show a blue badge at silverstone in the past. It seems a shame that time can be taken to control access to ordinary car parks but not to parking spaces which are needed to make access easier for wheelchair users.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1056398)   #21
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park also has a disabled parking area above Knickerbook with a pretty good view - again you can take your car down there as it would be near impossible to wheel yourself. They also had a disabled toilet down there as I had never seen a portable disable loo (it didn't look very big though)
Old 5 Aug 2004, 07:27 (Ref:1056736)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Steve, I wouldn't describe it as a 'chip' if you are unable to use facilities that are specifically there for people like yourself. It should be down to the circuit staff or security staff to make sure those areas are clear for wheelchair access, that's the whole point of them being there!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1056856)   #23
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Word for word, that's what was quoted to me.

With regard to the spaces at Donington, the bays are very clearly marked with disabled logo's on each space, and 2 vertical signs at each end.

You'd think that would be clear enough, even for observers(!!!!)!

But I will drop a line to the owners at Donington to see if something can be done.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1056883)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thats a good idea. The parking bays should be left for their intended purpose and not as marshals car parking spaces!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1056918)   #25
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the loos that service that area at Donington are the portakabin style that you need to climb steps to