Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Sep 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1401131)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what's happening at GRM ?

Interesting to read a short interview with Mr Rogers in AA today.... some of the things discussed in the story have me intrigued....

Mr Rogers mentioned in the article that Holden, Repco, Valvoline and Cummins are either in place via contract, or via verbal agreement for season 2006 and beyond... and that the team is looking to extract additional funds from these longtime backers to make the team more competitive.

This is despite persistant noise (from some very unexpected places!) regarding some of these brands appearing on different motor vehicles in season 2006, and a motor manufacturer who is looking to reduce the investment it makes in the upkeep of individual teams except based on performance rather than straight monies....

Anyhoo... the discussion of budgets is usually a grubby subject.. but it is well covered... drivers wanting more money, car speed compromised by a lack of money, lack of "...top scale engineering..." because of a lack of money...

As I understand it, this operation has 3 VY/VZ chassis in its possession. A 2005-build car for Mr McConville (VZ07), Mr McConville's 2004 car (VY05) now in Mr Jones' hands and the 2004 car that Mr Tander used to run (VY06).

There is a pecking order here... VY05 is the first VY the team built, and according to the Great Race book of last year was modified to the same standard of VY06.... while VZ07 is a spanker for this season....

The odd part for me is why a team has 3 chassis, and they are running their newest and their oldest this year.... leaving the new recruit in the team with the older car which has had more miles (and accident damage) than you might expect.

Now if you remember back when Mr Whincup was a GRM driver.. he too got a gig in an unloved VX, while the team leader was presented with not one, but two VYs during the 2003 season....

What I dont understand too well is why there is a better car sitting in the workshop that remains unraced, and the young guy doesnt get to use that.. instead in the old nail.... which seems not to be of a performance standard of his 2004 championship winning AU.

It is not improbable that Mr Jones will be extremely competitive in the same car as the team leader at Sandown and at Bathurst.... but after these events, he will more than likely be invited back into the old nail.... to go back to the rear of the grid to where he is banished in the sprint rounds.

Unless I am very much mistaken, wouldnt it make sense to bring the fresher car out to play, to have 2 cars the same specification to bounce technical improvement possibilities off 2 sources of information.... I mean if the cars run the same Aurora engines, surely running chassis X costs the same to run as chassis Y??

We will see in the enduros the disparity between the cars... when you see Mr SciFleet and Mr Holdsworth in other Supercar chassis likely to go quicker than they ultimately manage in their GRM-supplied car....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1401135)   #2
Ozfords
Racer

Australia
Blue Mountains
Ozfords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um GTR, we are talking about Garry Rogers here. This fella has made so many decisions that have left V8 fans scratching their heads. From swapping numbers to blaming a lack of '01 performance on old alloy wheels.

No matter how many suggestions and colourful charts you make I'm certain ol'Garry will be reaching somewhere else for a piece of wisdom.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1401137)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thought. You have to wonder if he considers A.Jones to be in somewhat of a development year, despite his Development series experience, and thus cant justify spending extra on upgrading him to a new(er) car. Its definately giving him the rough end of the stick though. How can he expect to be competitive in the team with inferior equipment.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1401138)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am just curious that some of the trainspotters amongst us can see such things happening, yet the mainstream media dont push the buttons to ask about particular instances....

Admittedly Mr Nally's interview looked like it was chopped up to fit 2 pages with a huge ad aboard... but the more relevant questions did not seem to automatically translate to output from the interview....

Is Mr Rogers a scary, imposing man than you cant ask those kinds of questions of?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1401140)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Interesting thought. You have to wonder if he considers A.Jones to be in somewhat of a development year, despite his Development series experience, and thus cant justify spending extra on upgrading him to a new(er) car. Its definately giving him the rough end of the stick though. How can he expect to be competitive in the team with inferior equipment.
The question I have is when the chassis is already built, is already sitting in the workshop... does rolling this car out onto the circuit to race cost more than the one they are currently running?

I would have thought not... but I could be wrong....
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1401173)   #6
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRM amongst others have often run their 2nd car to a lower spec. In the 01 enduros 3 year old VT01 was used as the 2nd car when the newer VT02 and VX03 were available.

Likewise DJR used 3 year old DJRAU9 in the 01 enduros when DJRAU11 and DJRAU12 were available.

However GRM's VY05 isn't the oldest car in the field. Ambrose's SBRBA1 also dates from the beginning of 03 as does one of the Birtek ex FPR BAs, the 2nd Castrol car is chassis PE040 which was built as a VX at the beginning of 02, and the 2 PWR cars are 2 of HRT 041, 042, 046 or 047, the former 2 built in 99, the latter 2 in 02.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1401176)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Dynamik TD000 ex-GMS chassis is the oldest car in the field, built up in 1999 and much modified since.... running in Mr Wills' hands.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1401179)   #8
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I thought that Wills was using TD001, the VY that was built up by Dynamik for Jason Richards to race from the beginning of 03.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1401184)   #9
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that Garry would be talking to HSV for some more sponsorship. But I think that Gazza (Gary) will look for another driver, because I think Carmeon McConville will look for a that golden seat down at SBR and go back to Ford.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1401226)   #10
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is already for looking for at least one new driver. One wonders where the departing driver or drivers will go. Perhaps one will go back to Dad's team?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1401253)   #11
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why is Andrew leaving GRM?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1401274)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ask Garry
Old 7 Sep 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1401317)   #13
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Why is Andrew leaving GRM?

Cause JB is finally going to take a 'Howard Marsden' type role at Ford, and Uncle Brad needs family support in times of trouble.

Just ask GTR......
Old 7 Sep 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1401387)   #14
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame Andrew Jones has really fallen off the radar, and so have GRM.

It's virtually impossible for them to get truly competitive which is a shame, they don't have a big bank balance to go sign up Campbell Little or Harrop tie-up such as 888 or TAS nor do they sort of big bucks to presumably have a you-beat state of the art development program such as FPR/HRT... Even if they got some up-to-spec Perkins or HMS engines to free up some resources, we still see that life is still tough for Larkham motorsport for example.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1401886)   #15
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901
I thought that Wills was using TD001, the VY that was built up by Dynamik for Jason Richards to race from the beginning of 03.
I thought so too but the latest Australian Muscle Car reports the '99 Bathurst winner GMS008/TD000 as Mr Wills' current steed. Presumably TD002 sits in the workshop, as I think TD001 is Jay verdnik's and TD003 is run by Team Tony.

Another example of a later chassis sitting around while the older one is used, it would seem...
Old 8 Sep 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1401969)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was amused by Garry saying in the interview he didn't want his cars to look like NASCARs

What does he think those number designs on the side of his cars make it look like
Old 8 Sep 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1401999)   #17
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
TD002 is the Verdnik car. I thought that it had previously been discussed that Wills car was TD001, but I presume that Australian Muscle Car has done its research.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1402690)   #18
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Before the team boss starts looking for people to blame for this dreadful season, perhaps he should look into the mirror.

Oops... he does..

"Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the tightest team owner of all"

...the mirror replies..

"Why you are Garry, tightest by a country mile.. still have the first dollar you ever made, and only sold your grandma that Pulsar that the apprentice rolled 27 times on a service road test because you thought the colour matched her favourite cardy"

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 9 Sep 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1402805)   #19
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well,well,well.Obviously everyone here is a multi millionair who has raced in Touring cars and owns a very good business and has a race team on the side!

P.S.Don't be surprised to see all those HOLDENS for sale shortly
Old 11 Sep 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1404956)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If the noise is to be believed, a new investor may or may not have been wandering around the paddock this weekend, taking a view from the sidelines before possibly putting some money on the table. The team shall deny all knowledge of course... in accordance to the prophesy.......

And gee, wasnt the 2nd car quick, despite being suitably equipped with the 2006 GRM second driver,
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1405468)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Lee Holdsworth always goes well.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1405474)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
This year or next year?

A GRM car is still not a powerhouse in a straight line... even the #34 car wasnt able to keep up with those around it who are similarly Aurora-powered
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1405478)   #23
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Will GRM knock on Perkins or HMS's doors?
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1405480)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GRM has always prided itself on its engine shop, for the lead car anyway... presumably a tight budget means that even that is not so strong any more
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1405481)   #25
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GRM was up in Benalla This morning, presumably to do some testing at Winton? I thought that it was strang to have the trucks arrival outside of the motel around midnight, straight after the 500.