Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Feb 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2830625)   #51
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Turvey, didn't qualy well but he made serious progress in the races. Can't help but think that he would be a cast iron title contender in the right team, although I am hoping he will be a galvanising force at Ocean.
Did he make serious progress? I only saw him going backwards! But I agree, he should be a contender, makes you wonder how and why there can be so much of a difference between an ORT car to an ART or iSport. Because pace-wise, Turvey would surely be in the top 3. He won at Abu Dhabi in only his 3rd GP2 race and had a convincing pole there at the final round of the main series. I bet he is exceptionally frustrated. He was ahead of half of the F1 regulars in the Pirelli testing too.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2830643)   #52
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
I bet he is exceptionally frustrated.
I expect he is; however, racing for Ocean is probably a better alternative than sitting on the sidelines particularly if he can haul the team further up the grid.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2830725)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah I thought Turvey was up to about 7th from much lower in race one, which wasn't bad going?

Ocean aren't the best but they can't be too bad, didn't Parente do ok with them a couple of years ago?
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2830759)   #54
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
didn't Parente do ok with them a couple of years ago?
Parente was eight overall in the 2009 GP2 championship with his best results being first in the Spa feature race and second in the sprint race at the Nurburgring. By way of contrast, Karun Chandhok in the sister car was 18th championship with a best result of third in the Silverstone sprint race.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 01:10 (Ref:2830818)   #55
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
And Fabio Leimer won the sprint race for ORT during the opening round at Barcelona last year, although strangely he didn't score a single point more in the remainder of the championship! I wasn't meaning the team weren't good, more just surprised at Turvey being where he has been in testing and the first couple of races, because you'd expect him to be at the front looking at previous form, especially at Abu Dhabi where he's always been amongst the top 3. He hasn't become slower overnight. Have to wait and see how he does in Bahrain, maybe its too early anyway to judge anything.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2831025)   #56
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ORT are getting lots of stick, but I think Turvey is capable of delivering wins just like Parente did! I could only watch the 1st race and I have to say the tires lasted too long, I thought they would fade away much faster. I mean if Fabio Leimer had not pitted, he could win it. May be the slower GP2 car can't overwork these Pirellis!? The racing was very much the boring F1 style, I don't remember much side-by-side... Grosjean can overtake and he tried a lot, but he just couldn't pass Bianchi. Hopefully it will be better in Bahrain! Otherwise you can see how the experienced guys are having an advantage, I thought Valsecchi was brilliant to get a podium with a new team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I hate it when Eurosport don't show it live. I can appreciate they've got clashing commitments, fine, but how hard can it be to find 45 minutes in the schedule to show the whole race on delay?
Me too I think Europe needs a proper motorsport channel just like Speed TV in the US, but I doubt this will happen since CVC are still to understand how you expand your fanbase.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2831031)   #57
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
ORT aren't getting stick, read the posts, it was merely a comment on Turvey's form compared to the last Asia series where he won at Abu Dhabi and also the main series at the end of 2010, where he got the feature pole. What I mean is, if he was in an ART or iSport car again, I would imagine him to be at least in the top 10, something he didn't even manage this past weekend. I agree, Turvey is capable of taking the team to victories, so lets see, like I said its early yet.

As for overtaking, there was slightly more in the GP2 races than the final round of F1 last year, but it was still quite dull by GP2 standards. It's a bit of a shame that this Asia series again is only running at Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, arguably two of the most boring race tracks in the world. In fact, the Formula 1 races at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi last year were by far the worst, in what was overall a classic season.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2831055)   #58
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
A classic season, with very little in overtaking, might I add. People seem to forget that bit (and that's not a criticism - I myself am guilty of it now and then). It was 'sold' to us as a rivetting season (which in many cases, is true), but as far as on track racing goes, it was pretty poor.

I was expecting more from the GP2 as far as overtaking goes, but obviously they are using this new HRT, I mean, chassis I think as far as a modern day single seater/open wheeler goes, it's quite nice. It has to be relevant to F1, whether anyone likes that or not, or it defeats the purpose.

The cars seemed to be able to follow ok - the problem in this case certainly seemed to be more the track. The straights wern't particularly long enough to mount a decent attack, and many of the corners are impossible to overtake on unless someone trips over themselves.

Overall, i'll certainly be watching GP2 again, but I must echo the statements made above in regards to the circuit choice.

Is there any reason for them not visiting a couple of other Asian locations?

Selby
Old 14 Feb 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2831073)   #59
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The corkscrew part of the track didn't help overtaking. Taking out the longest straight and the most challenging high speed section and putting in a few corners which didn't seem like the easiest to follow through in a single seater. It seemed a strange choice of layout.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2831075)   #60
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only managed to see the 2nd half of both races 1 and 2 and haven't caught the repeats yet. What happened to Grosjean in race 2? All I know was that he DNF'd, he surely would have been able to move through the field in that race if he was running to the end, as Bianchi did. They were both the class of the field in race 1.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2831098)   #61
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
A classic season, with very little in overtaking, might I add. People seem to forget that bit (and that's not a criticism - I myself am guilty of it now and then). It was 'sold' to us as a rivetting season (which in many cases, is true), but as far as on track racing goes, it was pretty poor.
You speak for yourself, nothing was 'sold' to me last year! I'm not quite sure how you consider the racing poor when it had statistically more overtaking than any of the previous 10 years. There was plenty of wheel to wheel battles with big name drivers. But thats not for here.

I would like to know too why it has a much more sparse calender than it used to. It was much better with Sepang and Shanghai on the calender.

kerrmanningjarv- Grosjean was pitched into a spin by Michael Herck at the end of the back straight on lap 1 and stalled. Thats the penalty you get for being quick in race 1 with reverse grids.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2831104)   #62
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
I think Europe needs a proper motorsport channel just like Speed TV in the US, but I doubt this will happen since CVC are still to understand how you expand your fanbase.
There is a substitute, it's called Motors TV

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how you consider the racing poor when it had statistically more overtaking than any of the previous 10 years. .
If you just look at statistics, it was a great season. But yet again racing was very dull and artificial, and the so-called rise of overtaking was purely caused by the three new teams (and established teams running over them). And I've seen those figures millions of times, so no need to remind me.

Quote:
I would like to know too why it has a much more sparse calender than it used to. It was much better with Sepang and Shanghai on the calender.
Costs, that's pretty much it. They also failed to get enough Asian drivers around, so the series just stop caring really... now it's pretty much just a separate winter testing platform for the main series, with same teams.

Last edited by Deleted; 14 Feb 2011 at 17:43.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2831110)   #63
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
If you just look at statistics, it was a great season. But yet again racing was very dull and artificial, and the so-called rise of overtaking was purely caused by the three new teams (and established teams running over them). And I've seen those figures millions of times, so no need to remind me.
I wasn't reminding you. The racing was not dull and artificial. And the rise of overtaking wasn't purely caused by the three new teams.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2831112)   #64
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wasn't reminding you. The racing was not dull and artificial. And the rise of overtaking wasn't purely caused by the three new teams.
Well... it was a pleasure disagreeing with you then
Old 14 Feb 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2831134)   #65
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very easy answer, got spun around and stalled!
Old 14 Feb 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2831227)   #66
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Now when F1 drivers are talking how hard it's with all the buttons and so on, a movable rear wing for GP2 wouldn't be too bad!? It'll be cheaper than a whole new upgrade kit to make the racing more entertaining...
Old 14 Feb 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2831231)   #67
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
There is a substitute, it's called Motors TV
I would love Motors TV to have the same funding, the same level of access as Speed TV does, but currently it's not the case. They're certainly trying hard, but I think it's extra hard in Europe. The racing isn't very fan or media friendly, I mean imagine what would be FOM's or McLaren's reaction if BBC asks them to interview Lewis Hamilton during a SC period?)) In the US they don't have any problem with this.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2831623)   #68
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
Me too I think Europe needs a proper motorsport channel just like Speed TV in the US, but I doubt this will happen since CVC are still to understand how you expand your fanbase.
The problem with that is that SpeedTV is not a proper motorsport channel outside of the weekends.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2831802)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hey as far as I can remember this level's always suffered from patchy coverage in spite of the significance of it.

I can't see any reason why it will change. We must just get on with trying to get our fix by whatever means possible.

Difference is imo, is that 15-20 years ago plus one could actually get to see the racing live for not a lot of money without worrying about the telly too much.

But this is all a bit off topic for a race weekend thread?
Old 16 Feb 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2832032)   #70
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
I was thinking recently that because this championship only comprises 6 races, it isn't out of the question that the guy who wins the title may do so with only 1 race win or possibly none. The top 3 in the feature races will rarely be seen on the podium in the sprint race due to the reverse grid. So for example if Grosjean gets 3 feature podiums and Bianchi has a bad scoring round, its not out of the question that you could get a champion who has simply picked up points. A couple of years back in the FR UK winter series, there was 4 different race winners from 4 races, but the eventual champion was Richard Singleton, who wasn't one of those 4 who won a race. And Marko Asmer was leading the British F3 championship in 2005 at the half way point, despite not winning. Its just a trail of thought anyway, doesn't mean much.