Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Dec 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2999175)   #1126
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Thats good news, I heard that Sellers was returning but not his co-driver and even better that its Wolf Henzler. I just hope if Risi doesnt return that ESM steps up because it wouldnt be the same without a Ferrari in the fray.
Wolf isn't returning? First I've heard about that, he was so good last year would be a huge loss for Falken. I hope Falken has a factory driver next season because their program was starting to take off.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2999181)   #1127
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Wolf isn't returning? First I've heard about that, he was so good last year would be a huge loss for Falken. I hope Falken has a factory driver next season because their program was starting to take off.
Wolf is returning next season to drive with Sellers. Basically the only thing that changes for Team Falken is a switch to the all-new Porsche. Other then that, the drivers stay the same and the management is basically the same as well.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2999216)   #1128
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Wolf is returning next season to drive with Sellers. Basically the only thing that changes for Team Falken is a switch to the all-new Porsche. Other then that, the drivers stay the same and the management is basically the same as well.
Thanks. Maybe I misunderstood the previous post. Also, EI just posted an article saying what you said.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2999286)   #1129
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps not directly related to the ALMS... or maybe it is. Oryx have entered Daytona with an Audi R8. It has been suggested that their deal with Dyson to run next year has not been signed...yet?
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2999317)   #1130
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it's definitely good to see Oryx stepping up their presence and running an R8 in the Rolex. The R8 and 458 are really going to add a lot to the Grand-Am Gt field. Not having them in the ALMS would be a big blow to the P1 class. I'd prefer them running the Lola in the ALMS than the R8 in Grand-Am but hopefully this entry is in addition to rather than instead of.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2999333)   #1131
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Well it's definitely good to see Oryx stepping up their presence and running an R8 in the Rolex. The R8 and 458 are really going to add a lot to the Grand-Am Gt field. Not having them in the ALMS would be a big blow to the P1 class. I'd prefer them running the Lola in the ALMS than the R8 in Grand-Am but hopefully this entry is in addition to rather than instead of.
absolutely. I hope its just for 1 race. even with the oryx car the lmp field will be weak (probably)
Old 13 Dec 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2999337)   #1132
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Typical, on another forum last night I said ALMS P1 was looking really good for next year after stupidly believing possible rumours of BSR Pescarolo, The Fernandez Lola Aston part-time, Autocon Lola Aston in addition to the current field.

Last night I learn BSR will be P2, Fernandez Aston will actually be part time GTE, the Autocon rumour was false and today that Oryx appears to be experimenting with Grand Am GT (looking like the place to be in US sports car racing next year). Losing another P1 car is NOT what the ALMS needs. Guess I'll just shut up about next year's ALMS LMP1 car count....
Old 13 Dec 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2999387)   #1133
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Typical, on another forum last night I said ALMS P1 was looking really good for next year after stupidly believing possible rumours of BSR Pescarolo, The Fernandez Lola Aston part-time, Autocon Lola Aston in addition to the current field.

Last night I learn BSR will be P2, Fernandez Aston will actually be part time GTE, the Autocon rumour was false and today that Oryx appears to be experimenting with Grand Am GT (looking like the place to be in US sports car racing next year). Losing another P1 car is NOT what the ALMS needs. Guess I'll just shut up about next year's ALMS LMP1 car count....
I'm sure ALMS GT teams will debate your thoughts on GA GT.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 04:44 (Ref:2999527)   #1134
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The rumblings from Conquest are getting louder.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...orts-car-team/
Old 14 Dec 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2999540)   #1135
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Fernandez Aston will actually be part time GTE, the Autocon rumour was false
Fernandez' backing is contingent on being in an Aston? I guess that relationship had to suffer a lot during the AMR1 fiasco, but hard to believe the backers would be happy with GTE....

maybe he should have talked to Autocon and found a Lola Aston floating around (which I doubt would be easy). Autocon: they have never had the funding to run a collectable car and I can't see that happening now (I realize that anything is collectable in a sense, but a Lola Aston more so then a Lola AER I would think), so them with a Lola Aston did not make sense. They do in ways seem like candidates for P2 cost capped cars, but I don't know that they want to go that way?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2999561)   #1136
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Fernandez' backing is contingent on being in an Aston? I guess that relationship had to suffer a lot during the AMR1 fiasco, but hard to believe the backers would be happy with GTE....

maybe he should have talked to Autocon and found a Lola Aston floating around (which I doubt would be easy). Autocon: they have never had the funding to run a collectable car and I can't see that happening now (I realize that anything is collectable in a sense, but a Lola Aston more so then a Lola AER I would think), so them with a Lola Aston did not make sense. They do in ways seem like candidates for P2 cost capped cars, but I don't know that they want to go that way?
Autocon, like Intersport, always professed their desire to run the big cars (with the big boys). Not to mention, in the era of LMP1 and LMP2 being competitive with one another, the big power of LMP1 AER's with considerable restrictor breaks meant they could be slightly more competitive with the top teams. Now that that has changed LMP2 would make more sense as it is the growing class with some tough, respectable competition. That said, I imagine their desire to run the big cars may not have subsided.

As far as Autocon getting their hands on a Lola-Aston, that would be tougher than buying a more mass-produced car, certainly. I imagine all the DBR1-2 type B09/60s that exist already exist and I imagine that they are in private hands. What's more, they already have Le Mans, LMS and/or ALMS history so it would be hard to convince the owner (a la Bell Motorsports running the DBR9 in 2008) to let them out one more time. (With all due respect to Autocon, I doubt they will add much prestige to the car, so why not paint it in Gulf colors, put it in 2009-spec, and let it be your trailer queen?) However I don't know if the Autocon-Aston rumor came about because Autocon and Aston Martin (and a potential private owner) have discussed running the car in the ALMS or if it was thrown out as an "I wish!" or "Stranger things have happened" type deal.

I don't think Fernandez' backing is contingent on being in an Aston. I only say that because when he was a Honda man he drove a Zytek at Le Mans in 2007. I don't doubt the backers weren't pleased with the AMR-One fiasco (who was?) but Lowe's and Adrian stuck with Aston and even won at Laguna in the old girl, so who knows?

The way I see these rumors is 1) the Autocon-Aston deal is possible as I don't know where all the Lola/Aston B09/60DBR1-2s lie in terms of ownership (I'm sure someone does and will kindly steer me to the chassis database) and someone might just want to see his car doing what it was designed to do. 2) The Adrian Fernandez deal seems to be for five races (Sebring/WEC, Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Petit Le Mans and a July race) in (ALMS) GT (with a solitary, Lowe's branded, Gulf-colored car) plus Le Mans and perhaps all of the WEC as part of the factory program.

Chris

Last edited by Jonerz; 14 Dec 2011 at 08:04. Reason: AMR-1 or AMR-One?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2999583)   #1137
ep16
Rookie

ep16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the Muscle Milk car now available?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2999609)   #1138
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I don't think Fernandez' backing is contingent on being in an Aston. I only say that because when he was a Honda man he drove a Zytek at Le Mans in 2007. I don't doubt the backers weren't pleased with the AMR-One fiasco (who was?) but Lowe's and Adrian stuck with Aston and even won at Laguna in the old girl, so who knows?

2) The Adrian Fernandez deal seems to be for five races (Sebring/WEC, Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Petit Le Mans and a July race) in (ALMS) GT (with a solitary, Lowe's branded, Gulf-colored car) plus Le Mans and perhaps all of the WEC as part of the factory program.

Chris
If Lowe's are backing Fernandez as part of Aston's WRC squad, then I can't see they'd have any problem with the idea of being involved in any other ALMS races that AMR take in- IIRC when the move to GTE was first reported on DSC, it was suggested that a part-season of ALMS was likely
If Fernandez is going to be doing any ALMS races in an Aston, then I guess for AMR, using the Vantage makes more sense- it's a chance to get more race mileage on the car to help with development.
Taking the Lola out from under it's dustsheet for a few ALMS races might be good PR for the sponsors, but wouldn't it be a distraction AMR don't need if their main focus is getting the Vantage on the class pace for the WEC?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2999620)   #1139
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The rumblings from Conquest are getting louder.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...orts-car-team/
Wondering if we might see a P1 entry instead of the rumored P2 one?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2999640)   #1140
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Mirco Schultis thinking about LMPC participation after recent test @ Sebring: http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?...=6848&Itemid=1

He´s disappointed in the ELMS calender (no big races and a clash with N´ring 24H) and the number of LMPC cars that turned up for the last race of 2011 at Estoril - only 3.

Could be a dual program with 1 car in ELMS and ALMS each since Schultis has obtained Hope´s LMPC car from last year (long shot but you´ll never know).
Old 14 Dec 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2999798)   #1141
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The ALMS GTE grid is taken a little for granted, come 2013 the Aston GTE could be an important addition should BMW leave, the P1 car would be a one season wonder, when really the ALMS needs some multi-year prototype programs to bring stability and growth.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2999801)   #1142
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Autocon, like Intersport, always professed their desire to run the big cars (with the big boys). Not to mention, in the era of LMP1 and LMP2 being competitive with one another, the big power of LMP1 AER's with considerable restrictor breaks meant they could be slightly more competitive with the top teams. Now that that has changed LMP2 would make more sense as it is the growing class with some tough, respectable competition. That said, I imagine their desire to run the big cars may not have subsided.
Chris
I meant no slight towards Autocon, a team I have always liked. They kept that R&S IIIC running and making fabulous noise. I would agree, they seem to want to run the big cars, and do it under a restricted budget.

I could say the same about Intersport.

I guess this points to the bigger problem as there are not a lot of choices of car for teams like these.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2999828)   #1143
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The ALMS GTE grid is taken a little for granted, come 2013 the Aston GTE could be an important addition should BMW leave, the P1 car would be a one season wonder, when really the ALMS needs some multi-year prototype programs to bring stability and growth.
You think AMR would do ALMS over WEC?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2999881)   #1144
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
If I may step in before JAG answers, if Lowe's wants Adrian to make some impact on the US Motorsport scene I imagine they will do some races until he can put a deal together with a manufacturer interested in the ALMS. But I don't think the program is destined for the ALMS.

Chris
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2999898)   #1145
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think AMR need as many GTE's as possible running, whether by the factory or customers. Given the number of DBR9's, Lola-Aston's, and the plans for six AMR-One's, full-time car's in the ALMS must be a priority.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2999911)   #1146
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
I think AMR need as many GTE's as possible running, whether by the factory or customers. Given the number of DBR9's, Lola-Aston's, and the plans for six AMR-One's, full-time car's in the ALMS must be a priority.
It seems as though you are suggesting some sort of customer program to run in the ALMS. Certainly feasible, if they run well in WEC, and there are interested, funded parties.

-------------------

Regarding Autocon, as a team they are dead. Whether McMurray and Burgess find other opportunities is a tbd.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 01:36 (Ref:3000008)   #1147
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Regarding Autocon, as a team they are dead. Whether McMurray and Burgess find other opportunities is a tbd.
Right, I think we are referring to McMurray and Burgess as Autocon simply because one of the many possibilities for those two is to continue Autocon (or purchase/utilize Autocon capital like transporters and pitstands and such) without Lewis.

Chris
Old 15 Dec 2011, 07:22 (Ref:3000075)   #1148
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
6 AMR-Ones?

WTF?

Thats like suggesting Bahrain and Zuhai will sell out!
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:38 (Ref:3000088)   #1149
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
6 AMR-Ones?

WTF?

Thats like suggesting Bahrain and Zuhai will sell out!
Well, to be fair, though a vastly different car from its chief competitors in LMP1, we didn't even begin to see the extent of its problems until Le Mans Test Day. So when they announced that they would build and sell 6 AMR-One's, given their history selling cars around the world, it didn't seem unreasonable.

Chris
Old 15 Dec 2011, 13:29 (Ref:3000205)   #1150
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Murphy is now tweeting that Risi will do Sebring in addition to Daytona:

Quote:
Murphythebear @Murphythebear
Risi to race two Ferraris at Daytona. Will also enter at Sebring.