Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Jan 2003, 12:26 (Ref:486351)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Radio Control Model Cars

Ok, there are too many videogame threads here!

Time to start a radio control model car thread. Post any pics of cars that you have (400x400), and feel free to ask me or any other experts any questions you may have of these rocketships!

Heres my latest toy, an Associated RC10 B3 Team buggy, 1/10 electric.
Attached Thumbnails
b3colourchange[2].jpg  

Last edited by Hobson; 26 Jan 2003 at 12:27.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 13:17 (Ref:486397)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did this a few years ago, but unfortuneately I don't have any pics of the cars I had.

I mainly did on-road during the time just before scale touring cars started to become popular. We were still using converted wide buggies.

I drove 4WD and did a couple of BRCA off-road rounds using a Schumacher CAT 2000 around the time that the Tenth Technology Predator was THE car to have.

I quit in the end because the whole sponsirship thing was taking off and it was getting difficult to keep up with the technology! I was still at school at the time and just couldn't afford to keep my stuff up to date!

I keep my eye on things still and it's good to see that the BRCA have introduced rules on price-capping
Old 26 Jan 2003, 15:38 (Ref:486516)   #3
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking for sponsorship from a manufacturer at the moment, all I have is my local model shop.

I have quite a collection of cars, most still work!

Touring (190mm wide):
Schumacher Mission (carbon)
Schumacher Axis 2 (x2)
Team Losi XXX-S
Yokomo Yr4 M2 Type J
Tamiya TL-01 (still a laugh to chuck around)

Buggy:
Team Associated RC10 B3 Team
TTech Predator (original, needs diff plates to work)
Team Losi XXX

Mini:
HPI RS4 Mini
Tamiya M0-1M (Mazda MX5)
Tamiya M0-3 (classic Mini)

Looking at getting a couple of oddities, like the Schumacher Big 6, a 1/6 scale electric Lotus Elise. Also a HPI Micro RS4, with a Toyota Tureno 1/18 body.

Just need cash!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 15:47 (Ref:486520)   #4
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Heres my MX5 with touring car size wheels:
Attached Thumbnails
blurrymx5.jpg  
Old 26 Jan 2003, 15:49 (Ref:486525)   #5
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
My XXXS before its first run. I was in a rush to go to the meeting so it didn't have wheels on the chassis when I took the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
zalfafront[1].jpg  

Last edited by Hobson; 26 Jan 2003 at 15:50.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 22:43 (Ref:486827)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite a collection you have there!

What tracks do you race at? Are you in a series at the moment?
Old 27 Jan 2003, 13:43 (Ref:487328)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've pretty much quit racing my Associated TC3, but have recently begun campaigning an HPI Micro RS4. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Never forget #99
Old 27 Jan 2003, 15:17 (Ref:487404)   #8
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Yep, and its getting bigger by the week Spudgun!

I'm doing the Schumacher BTCC on-road championship this year with my Mission in modified and the XXXS in 27t stock. I've also done the Tamiya Eurocup with the MX5 and TL01. Check out this pic at the bottom, I think this is one of the rarest bodies Tamiya made.

KC, have you seen this link at the bottom? This site got me hooked on the Micro! Have a look for the prototype titainium chassis, it means you can fit up to 8 cells! Not sure where the electrics go though..........yourmicro.com
Attached Thumbnails
raremercfront[1].jpg  

Last edited by Hobson; 27 Jan 2003 at 15:19.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 17:24 (Ref:487486)   #9
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh yeah, I've seen all kinds of variations. My micro has the following:

HPI ball differential
Hitec 255MG servo
GM V12 speed control (robbed it out of my 12th scale)
6 cell OFNA prismatic NiMH battery pack
kit motor & kit tires
HPI Mercedes DTM body

We get anywhere from 6 to 10 racing on Staurday nights and its a blast. Its all about driving well and not nearly about going fast.
Never forget #99
Old 27 Jan 2003, 17:59 (Ref:487512)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I had money to spend on these...

I am dying to get my hands on a proper one.

I've had loads of "toy" ones, but so far the closest I've come to something decent is a Tamiya 1/10 Mini Cooper FWD, which was great to begin with, but it's just no challenge anymore.

It's a bit better now i've got an electronic speed controller and a beefier motor in it though
Old 27 Jan 2003, 18:01 (Ref:487514)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By the way, how much is it gonna cost to get a decent petrol car, incl. all the radio equipment?
Old 28 Jan 2003, 14:02 (Ref:488341)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
A lot depends on the scale you want to run. A good 1/10th scale car can run over US$500 for the chassis and motor here in the states. A good 1/8th scale car can be over US$800 for just the chassis sans motor. Anything bigger start at around US$1000 and go as high as you want.
Never forget #99
Old 28 Jan 2003, 15:40 (Ref:488410)   #13
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I suggest an Associated Nitro TC3 Ready-to-run, its £314 from www.modelsportuk.com , it comes pre-built and painted, all you have to do is add Nitro racing fuel, charger some controller batteries, run in the engine and go.

Our club races on polished concrete, so 1/10 TC are the norm. We have a heat of 'misfits' though, and have a couple of HPI Minis, loads of Tamiya Minis, a couple of 2WD buggies (including mine sometimes) and a HPI Micro.

The Micro flies! It has a kit motor, a couple of purple upgrades, 5 cell battery , LRP ProSport Quantum ESC and a HPI Skyline body. Usually finshes second or third behind the HPI Minis. It also helps to have the club champion behind the sticks.....
Old 28 Jan 2003, 17:27 (Ref:488505)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
thanks
Old 28 Jan 2003, 17:34 (Ref:488513)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
I can agree with the coice of the Nitro TC3. We have several drivers racing them as well as Yokomo GT4s.

One thing to beware on nitro cars for competition. A nitro car is a dual edged sword to juggle. You will be searching for a good suspension setup to suit you as well as continually tuning the engine for maximum performance. Many new racers are lured to nitro cars and get frustrated and quit when it won't start or overheats and cooks a piston and sleeve or they cannot get a handle on the suspension. On top of all that you also are driving a car capable of speeds in excess of 50 miles per hour. If you think thats not too fast, get in your full size car and drive 50 mph in a parking lot and see how quickly you can cover a couple of hundred feet. Most tracks are not over 200 feet in length and a nitro car can cover it in under 2 seconds. If you hit the immovable object with a 60 ounce nitro sedan travelling at those speeds it tends to demolish parts.

Also nitro sedans will require a lot of cleaing to keep them looking new. The fuel has oil in it and it gets on everything and attracts a lot of dirt and debris.

I am not trying dissuade you but the heavenly vision of blasting down the straightaway is sometimes blown away by the reality of driving an extremely fast RC car.
Never forget #99
Old 29 Jan 2003, 09:29 (Ref:489160)   #16
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Also, anothr option would be to visit your local model shop. I'm sure they would have a 2nd hand car in, and could do a deal for radio, fuel etc. for not a lot extra.

The benefits are the car is already built, tested, run in and may have a good suspension set up from the previous owner.

And it should be in good condition as I don't think a model shop would sell a knackered old car and want you in there every week complaining!
Old 6 Feb 2003, 14:46 (Ref:498518)   #17
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
How about this?
Its one of our club members' cars.
Attached Thumbnails
davevectra[1].jpg  
Old 8 Feb 2003, 20:20 (Ref:500825)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
One problem with model shops, there are hardly any near where i live.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 11:40 (Ref:501308)   #19
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
www.rcracer.com

This site has links to clubs and shops. I'm sure theres one somewhere close to you...........
Old 11 Feb 2003, 08:46 (Ref:503069)   #20
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yo Dudes,

I love that I am not the only racing nut that goes the RC route as well. In the picture you see two of my toye, an RS4 Nitro with 2 stock parts left, and my PowerBook.

Have fun out there, and I'll try to keep it under control and not hit somebody in the ankle.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
rs4 powerbook.jpg  
Old 11 Feb 2003, 16:35 (Ref:503474)   #21
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Smart RS4, I love that pipe!

I'm considering getting a nitro car this year, I'm looking at the Schumacher Fusion .21. Its got a 3 speed gearbox and does 80 mph out of the box. Pretty cheap at only £300!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:11 (Ref:503516)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I decided against going back to competitive indoor racing with my TC3. All I do now is just have some fun with it at the local car park (which is huge!). I just like playing about with the car at my own pace, with no walls in sight!

Probably a waste of a car, yes, but I am also thinking of getting a nitro car or buggy and selling the TC3. I am applying for my National Class B Racing licence this year, so I'm afraid wee cars are taking a back seat.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 19:36 (Ref:503637)   #23
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yo TouringLegend,

I totally agree with you about not hitting the competition tracks anymore. My friends and I have been going out to the local parkinng lot that is big enough and just do what ever we want to do. I am enjoying RC cars way more now that I am not always worrying about the pressure the tracks sometimes have associated with them.

And, I have both electric and nitro cars. And I still don't think there is a definitive answer as to which is better. Yes the electric has to be charged, and doesn't go as fast, but it is a lot less work than the nitro car. Sometimes it is nice just to put a battery pack in and hit the street in front of my house. The nitro car is too noisy and fast to do that.

xBook
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:45 (Ref:503732)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ye I enjoyed the kick from winning indoors, but I just didn't like the pussy footing around, especially at my club. The organisers tried their damnest, but the majority of the drivers were younger than me, and not everybody switched off their receivers after a race which became annoying....
Old 12 Feb 2003, 08:20 (Ref:504101)   #25
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Out of my collection, my XXXS, Mission, B3 and M0-3 are my race cars. The rest I use in my back garden, or on a carpark. Much better than Tyco cars for fun!