Old 3 Jun 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2890809)   #51
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
my local radio station (hardly ever listen to it as they are boring annoying Wa.....) however they were raving about it, and the lady from empire mag says that its a good film for the characters etc rather than just for motorsporters, non of these people had any interest in motorsports i think the only thing they have any interest in is being a mild irritant
Cool, cheers mate. I've convinced someone to come along with me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I thought the people would be the interesting bit, and I suppose it is a very dramatic story, though for terrible reasons.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2890813)   #52
Doblo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
Doblo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just home from cinema.
Stunning film lives up to the hype, but go with someone as so much to talk about afterwards. hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2890814)   #53
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You don't get to see Ayrton's sister, Viviane, but she makes frequent comments that are very insightful. Lovely lady.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2890828)   #54
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i've had a copy of this sat on my laptop for a good couple of weeks now, but i think i'll go and watch it at bluewater this weekend. i doubt it'll make a huge difference in terms of cinematic effect, but considering the last time i went to the cinema it was less than a fiver and the new thing was surround sound it's probably worth the effort
It's on at Bluewater?! I only live half an hour from there are they definently showing it if so i'll break my Bluewater duck and go there!
Old 4 Jun 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2890900)   #55
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
It's on at Bluewater?! I only live half an hour from there are they definently showing it if so i'll break my Bluewater duck and go there!
yep, definitely there, there's 3 or 4 showings a day . i'm kidnapping my mum and we're off to see it this weekend.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2891136)   #56
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I shall be very interested to hear what you think. I've decided I have to see it again and am going somewhere much closer on Tuesday.

One of the things I felt was that it could have been longer - it lasts 1 hour 46 minutes and was edited down from an original 4 hours - but apparently the proper DVD/Blu-Ray version is likely to have plenty of extras so that will be worth getting.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2891181)   #57
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never cried in a cinema before. Beautiful film.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2891200)   #58
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I enjoyed it a lot. It's almost a Hollywood-esque film in terms of its application of music and structure.

The drivers' briefings were rather riveting.

It is a bit pro/Senna/anti-Prost though, I felt.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2891206)   #59
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i came out of it not thinking of him as a devil or a saint, but as a human being and having a much better understanding of why he said and did things. i felt a bit sorry for prost, but i understand it'd be almost impossible to paint him in any way at all in a documentary that was about senna, not prost or f1.

"enjoy" is the wrong word, but totally absorbed and well worth the trip? absolutely. i thought the way they built the suspense and dread towards the end was brilliantly done, especially since there was no real commentary and no real ability to use a storyline or dialogue to do so.

as a result of both those things i didn't really think it could be much longer without losing the thread of the story for a cinema audience. but as something to watch at home and to dip in and out of, the full length version would be excellent to have a copy of.

well worth going to see.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2891253)   #60
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody typical, been house bound this weekend with flu!!! So haven't seen it yet...
Old 5 Jun 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2891359)   #61
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Personally, it didn't live up to the hype in my eyes.

As a geek, there were some things i just couldn't get past.

1. The portrayal of Senna & Prost. Prost was treated rather unfairly i thought, and not enough emphasis was put on the fact that Senna was a bit of a d!!k from time to time. Knowing what i know, i was able to fill in the blanks, but to a 'noob' who was learning about the period for the first time, i thought it was unesessarily biased.

2. If you spend 5 years in the edit, you could at least get the audio/video synced for the onboards. I know Senna was special, but not even he could go quick by downshifting on the exit of corners....

3. Some editorial conveinience. The time he was complaining about which side Pole should be on at Suzuka. It showed quite a lengthy bit of footage of him talking to an official in a course car. That footage was at Hockenhiem. So, it was a common complaint. The way they cut it, it made it seem like it was Balestre's doing because he wanted to give Prost an advantage. yawn.

Anyway, on the plus side. I found it compelling, and a wonderful experience to be in a packed cinema watching a motorsport doco. Being in Oxford, i suppose there is more of a geographical interest. Indeed, i entered the cinema just behind Anthony Reid and some of his freinds. Red carpet or what?!

The bit that dragged the tears out of me though, was the snippet of Roland Ratzenberger chatting to his engineer shortly before his death. I often feel that Roland gets forgotten about in the shadow of Senna. That made me particually sad.

Definatley go and see it. Just don't believe all the hype.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2891565)   #62
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

'Film Of The Week' in todays' Observer which has to be unusual ( in fact, totally unique ) for a motor sport documentary. Anyhow, looking forward to the Motor Sport bash tomorrow night.....
Old 5 Jun 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2891663)   #63
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peat, you summarised most my thoughts on the film.

I thought it looked like Hockenheim!
Old 5 Jun 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2891821)   #64
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Personally, it didn't live up to the hype in my eyes.

As a geek, there were some things i just couldn't get past.

1. The portrayal of Senna & Prost. Prost was treated rather unfairly i thought, and not enough emphasis was put on the fact that Senna was a bit of a d!!k from time to time. Knowing what i know, i was able to fill in the blanks, but to a 'noob' who was learning about the period for the first time, i thought it was unesessarily biased.

2. If you spend 5 years in the edit, you could at least get the audio/video synced for the onboards. I know Senna was special, but not even he could go quick by downshifting on the exit of corners....

3. Some editorial conveinience. The time he was complaining about which side Pole should be on at Suzuka. It showed quite a lengthy bit of footage of him talking to an official in a course car. That footage was at Hockenhiem. So, it was a common complaint. The way they cut it, it made it seem like it was Balestre's doing because he wanted to give Prost an advantage. yawn.

Anyway, on the plus side. I found it compelling, and a wonderful experience to be in a packed cinema watching a motorsport doco. Being in Oxford, i suppose there is more of a geographical interest. Indeed, i entered the cinema just behind Anthony Reid and some of his freinds. Red carpet or what?!

The bit that dragged the tears out of me though, was the snippet of Roland Ratzenberger chatting to his engineer shortly before his death. I often feel that Roland gets forgotten about in the shadow of Senna. That made me particually sad.

Definatley go and see it. Just don't believe all the hype.
Agree the bias for me against Prost was a major flaw in the film and the in car clip of Senna being stuck in gear was clearly flawed as you could here the upshift!
On the whole the film was good if a little rushed ie no footage of Formula Ford or F3 battles, it made me like others I expect a little uneasy Knowing what was coming at the end having watched in horror that awful weekend unfold at the time.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2891844)   #65
GerardWon
Rookie

GerardWon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'd certainly be interested in seeing it. A film about the lives of Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve was mooted a few years back, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Ah Gilles here's one of my fav YT vids http://youtu.be/nAn_omLUO0Y

Can't wait till The Senna movie hits NY.

Sadly my copy of "Aryton Senna: The Hard Edge of Genius" was lost when we moved a while back -- in the mood to re-read that book.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2891869)   #66
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really looking forward to it, but no word of a release in NZ?

I enjoyed the official tribute 2disk dvd set which came out years ago, this film on the bigscreen will be good.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2891911)   #67
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does this movie contain much we haven't already seen?
Old 6 Jun 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2892072)   #68
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Does this movie contain much we haven't already seen?
There is some footage (specially family stuff) that only brazilians saw it, but most of it is already known.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2892075)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Some of it has even been edited correctly!
Old 6 Jun 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2892152)   #70
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Some of it has even been edited correctly!
Has been ?
Old 6 Jun 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2892212)   #71
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
On the whole the film was good if a little rushed ie no footage of Formula Ford or F3 battles, it made me like others I expect a little uneasy Knowing what was coming at the end having watched in horror that awful weekend unfold at the time.
to the fact that it seemed a bit rushed, i think it's really important to remember they had a time limit and a huge amount of footage. they also had to establish a plotline, and i think if they had started to over-feature the prost/senna battle then they'd have had to give up time from elsewhere in the film.

maybe it's also related to how important that battle was to senna himself - it might be important historically in f1, but how much did it shape the man and change him as a person? if it was a bad time for him personally, then it's not something to give up much time to. if you're celebrating a persons life you don't over-dwell on the things that brought them sadness and difficult times.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2892218)   #72
K1 CERB
Rookie

European Union
Rochester, Kent
K1 CERB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Up for it tonight

I heard the Radio 5 piece on Senna last week to get my Juices flowing, we're going straight after work to Canary Wharf. I'd better take plenty of tissues
Old 6 Jun 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2892221)   #73
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw it last night. Can't wait for extended uncut Blu-Rays now!

I thought the Senna/Prost angle was handled quite well. As a 'Senna' story it let you build up an image of Prost as the vile aggressor, just to throw that into doubt at the end of the film. It clearly showed that the two of them were driven to win and win alone I thought.

I would have liked to see more of the issues between him and Ron Dennis alluded to. Maybe in that extended blu-ray! i could have sat for days watching it and not got bored!
Old 6 Jun 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2892253)   #74
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
as a bit of a companion to the film there's a couple of interesting articles up on the autosport site at the moment. the making of the senna movie is worth a read, and there's an interview with ron dennis too.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2892259)   #75
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not worthy of its own thread & prob fits here better than anywhere else (Senna in the arts)...

English National Opera to produce "Senna - the Opera".

No this is not a joke:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php...m_k2&view=item