Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Nov 2002, 09:01 (Ref:428341)   #1
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rules Sorted At Last

The FIA and the ACO have agread to use the same set of rules for thier relevant series.

This will meen that you can race cars of the same spec in either the FIA series, Le Mans 24hr or the ALMS. This should allow people more freedom to race what they want, where they want.

The FIA have also lifted the ban on Vipers, allowing teams to modify the suspension to allow them to catch up with the Ferrari's etc.

Hopefully we will now see more cars racing in all the categories, in both the FIA and ALMS series.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:14 (Ref:428429)   #2
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what does "twin roll hoops in front of and behind the driver" mean? i understand behind...but in front?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 12:40 (Ref:428442)   #3
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
I uderstand this to to mean above the drivers leg area, so the driver has a safety tunnel in effect covering his/her lower body.

Otherwise a race car will look stupid with two roll hoops sticking out of the front of the car.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 13:14 (Ref:428465)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by egor

Otherwise a race car will look stupid with two roll hoops sticking out of the front of the car.

I don't know, it might actually enhance the Debora!

(Sorry - couldn't resist it )
Old 14 Nov 2002, 14:23 (Ref:428515)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Have they all seen sense at last. If this is true then the future is looking bright. All we need now is for a single world Lemans Champoinship with its centrepiece in France in June.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 14:29 (Ref:428518)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Where did this information come from, as I have looked around and couldnt find it?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 15:53 (Ref:428559)   #7
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
The source is Motorsport News(for a change)

Sports car rules - the key points

SR1 / LMP1
New cars to feature wider cockpit, flat floors, twin roll hoops in front of and behind the driver and Piper aerodynamic fit.

From 2003, current cars to use smaller air restrictors that will cut power from about 625 to 570bhp.

SR2 / LMP2
Minimum weight limit to rise from 675 to 750kg from 2004.

Engine rules to be freed up - 4.2 litre NGT motors will become eligible, although they will be restricted to make sure current 3.0 V6's remain competitive.

GT
Restrictions to be placed on technical development of the latest generation of supercars(anything costing more than $250,000/£165,000, e.g. Ferrari Enzo, Maserati MX, Mercedes Benz SLR) to make sure current cars are'nt rendered obsolete.

Immediate suspension of the freeze on Chrysler Viper development - teams will next year be allowed to update suspension for the first timr since 1997, in order to keep the car competitive against Ferrari and Lister opposition.

These are the key changes that have been covered, but I am sure there will be other less important rule changes, which will see the light of day over the next few weeks.

Leading on from this, the Carsport Holland team have pledged to continue running Chrysler Vipers in the FIA GT Championship
Old 14 Nov 2002, 16:29 (Ref:428591)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen something (autoweek?) that said the power reductions were only for 2003-and-before-vintage cars, that for 2004 the restrictors would be back to what they had this year, for new cars only. So, an R8 would continue to be hobbled with less horses than the 2004 crop of cars.

As an aside, would that mean that in 2004 you could run a 675 with less horses in LMP2, or would you also have to increase the weight? I'm thinking of Dyson, here...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Nov 2002, 16:52 (Ref:428603)   #9
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Quote:
As an aside, would that mean that in 2004 you could run a 675 with less horses in LMP2, or would you also have to increase the weight? I'm thinking of Dyson, here...
You would have to increase the weight to the class minimum weight of 750kg to compete in SR2/LM2.

Quote:
I've seen something (autoweek?) that said the power reductions were only for 2003-and-before-vintage cars, that for 2004 the restrictors would be back to what they had this year, for new cars only. So, an R8 would continue to be hobbled with less horses than the 2004 crop of cars.
The current crop of cars will be able to compete until the end of 2005, although they are likely to be handicaped/restricted so they will be on a level par with the new cars.
This is to compansate the new cars as they are expected to be slower due to the added safety features. With this I take it they mean that the new aerodynamic package Piper have designed will not be a slick/effective as the current examples.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 17:09 (Ref:428604)   #10
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Quote:
You would have to increase the weight to the class minimum weight of 750kg to compete in SR2/LM2.

Quote:
The current crop of cars will be able to compete until the end of 2005, although they are likely to be handicaped/restricted so they will be on a level par with the new cars.
This is to compansate the new cars as they are expected to be slower due to the added safety features. With this I take it they mean that the new aerodynamic package Piper have designed will not be a slick/effective as the current examples.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 17:09 (Ref:428605)   #11
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Quote:

Quote:
Old 14 Nov 2002, 18:48 (Ref:428665)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
So, if you add to the weight of a 675, do you get the old restrictor size back?

Or, if you don't raise the weight, is there an equalizing formula for you to compete at all (like tighter restrictors and then you compete in LMP1 as a 675 subset, for example)?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Nov 2002, 19:13 (Ref:428680)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad ideas... It's going to ruin the lighter LMPs, increase costs in the 900s because the current cars are suddenly going to be obsolete, the GTS regs are going to be a disaster because the supercars should be in their own GT1 class....

This is _not_ going to work.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 22:48 (Ref:428818)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The rules have always stated that you must have a front and rear roll over structure.

Regarding the bad ideas...LMP675 has been on the outs for some time. The reality is that, while the cars are very exciting, they are also extrodinarily expensive.

Current cars suddenly being obsolete? Again, the writing on the wall has always been that '04 was going to be a year of change. But the ACO/FIA have anticipated this by allowing current LMPs to run to '05 in current form. The LMP regulations have been on the book for some time (going back to '94 if you count WSC). Sports car racing rules always change to enhance competition, improve safety, and to overall improve the sport.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 23:29 (Ref:428852)   #15
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This also means no Penalties for the Saleen S7R should one be entered into the FIA GT Championship!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 08:57 (Ref:429015)   #16
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Sorry did'nt mean to post three times, my pc was not doing anything so I canceled my reply twice - so I thought!!!!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 21:05 (Ref:429506)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks almost certain now that Graham Nash Motor Sports will be entering 2 Saleen S7R's in the FIA GT championship. Also in 2004 with the regulations the way that they are could this mean the GTS class will be faster than the LMP2 cars?? We know they have more horsepower anyway but they are a fair bit heavier with the weight limit increasing to 750kg for the 2004 spec LMP2 cars do cars like the Saleen and Ferrari 550 stand a chance of beating the LMP2 class cars at a low downforce track like Le Mans?
Old 16 Nov 2002, 11:34 (Ref:429842)   #18
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about all cars to be able to carry 2 people. Not during races. The publicity the F1 2 seaters get is good but for most of them your stuck behind the driver.
The thought of sitting in a sports car going round Le Mans......
Old 18 Nov 2002, 19:28 (Ref:431610)   #19
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean that the ban on the BMW M3 GTR can be lifted?
The forums head dirtbag and headhog