Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:35 (Ref:857449)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
DC to stay at McLaren in 2005 (Ron)

Have to say, i find it hard to believe that DC will remain at McLaren in 2005, under any circumstance, but read this report on Autosport ...

“We believe that David will do a good job this year,” said Dennis. “If he does a good job then I am sure he'll be employed, possibly by McLaren in one form or another, in 2005.

“He absolutely can win the title. He has everything to gain from this being his best season ever. Both he and Kimi will get absolutely equal equipment, and if David wins the 2004 championship with our car then we will be delighted.”

As i say, i find it unlikely, but what happens, miracle against miracles that DC outperforms Kimi in 04. Or is Ron just hedging his bets until a new agreement on Kimi's contract is resolved?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:857470)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In one form or another...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:50 (Ref:857474)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Can't see DC accepting a test drivers role, after all, it's not like he'll be able to force his way back into the team with Kimi and JPM in the race seats.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:13 (Ref:857492)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he'll drive the safety car, it's a Merc after all... (sorry DC..)
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:26 (Ref:857508)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One form another means test driver capacity. And, somehow, I don't see DC taking that job...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:01 (Ref:857535)   #6
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One form or another means exactly that, one form or another. Please show me exactly where McLaren have announced their driver line up for 2005! yes it is possible that Kimi will join Juan next year but it is also possible no matter how much people on here don't want to see it that DC could still be the 2nd race driver for McLaren next year. Still a long way to go before that is all probably announced.
Kimi could end up at Williams still or Ferrari
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:10 (Ref:857546)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I wish Montoya was staying at Williams...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:43 (Ref:857569)   #8
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do I monster, so do I..... How many great drivers have to leave Williams after a championship winning year....hmmmmmm
Old 31 Jan 2004, 14:49 (Ref:857619)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron's probably still hedging his bets in case Michael retires for 2005 (which he thinks is a serious possibility)and they snare Kimi as replacement (who is known to be their first choice).. If that doesn't happen, DC almostr certainly won't stay, even if he chalelnges Kimi (he won't beat him unless he gets the hang of qualifying and has some better luck)
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:03 (Ref:857636)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Kimi has signed for 2005 already. McLaren had a contractural option on him and they wouldn't let him go to Ferrari.

Ron could be talking about a testing role for DC, maybe with him racing in sportscars or DTM - or maybe Ron will help get DC a drive at another F1 team - maybe even with Mercedes engines.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:05 (Ref:857637)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Minardi-Mercedes?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:17 (Ref:857654)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't rule it out.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:54 (Ref:857680)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think Kimi has signed for 2005 already. McLaren had a contractural option on him and they wouldn't let him go to Ferrari.

McLaren do have an option for 2005 on Kimi K-b, you are right, but it's said to be for an extortionate amount of money, McLaren are trying to get the sum reduced. Maybe McLaren might keep DC on as number 2 if they can't agree terms with Kimi and his management?

Last edited by Mr V; 31 Jan 2004 at 15:54.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 16:16 (Ref:857695)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

I really don't think David Coulthard will be at McLaren next year.

The whole point of signing JPM was, according to Adrian Newey, to have him and Kimi in the same team.

Nothing will get in the way of that, I'm sure.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 16:59 (Ref:857724)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks to me like Ron is just trying to fire up the competition between DC, and Kimi.

He has to know that the JPM announcment for 2005, could really blow up in his face. He doesn't want Kimi to feel complascent, and think the Mac seat is automatically his in 05, and he wants DC to drive like hell, because he wants him to believe theres still a decent chance of him keeping his seat.

Its all very psychological, you see?

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:11 (Ref:857735)   #16
Pit_Lane_Babe
Rookie

Pit_Lane_Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not think that Kimi really has to worry about not having a drive with the team for next season.
However well DC does this year, it is not going to make a whole lot of difference. Surley the results will come from an overall look at how DC has done in the last 2/3 seasons/
I also agree with people who are saying that DC will not settle for a testing seat. He would rather drive for the slowest team there than go down the F1 ladder.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:19 (Ref:857744)   #17
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way DC will drive for McLaren is if Kimi finds a better offer elsewhere.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:40 (Ref:857765)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Pit_Lane_Babe
DC will not settle for a testing seat. He would rather drive for the slowest team there than go down the F1 ladder.
Doesn't it amount to the same thing, taking the test seat or driving for anyone less than McLaren/Williams or Ferrari is going down the F1 ladder

Last edited by Mr V; 31 Jan 2004 at 17:41.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:59 (Ref:857783)   #19
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by santori
The only way DC will drive for McLaren is if Kimi finds a better offer elsewhere.
Three car teams?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 18:36 (Ref:857826)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
Three car teams?

My thoughts exactly, when i first read this.

I still insist that it is unlikely that Minardi and jordan will see out the season. The only solution to thinning grids is Mr Miller's suggestion.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 19:35 (Ref:857893)   #21
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I do not think that Kimi really has to worry about not having a drive with the team for next season.
However well DC does this year, it is not going to make a whole lot of difference. Surley the results will come from an overall look at how DC has done in the last 2/3 seasons
You mean: beating Hakkinen, beating Raikkonen, and being beaten by Raikkonen?

If DC manages to beat Kimmi this season, his results over that period will be looking quite good ...

But I don't think he can stay at McLaren if he doesn't win the WDC this year (unless they can drive three cars, of course)).
Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:10 (Ref:857941)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thats the attitude that Ron is trying to have Kimi avoid getting.

He's got to keep the fire burning in these two drivers.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:58 (Ref:858211)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
You mean: beating Hakkinen, beating Raikkonen, and being beaten by Raikkonen?

Beating Hakkinen because Mika was thoroughly deflated that year. Ironicly, had Mika's clutch not exploded on the last lap in Spain, Mika's worse season for a long time still would have produced more wins than DC's best season of his career

Beating Raikkonen by only 17 points, dispite having 6 less retirements

losing to Raikkonen as you said

These are exactly the kind of things that McLaren will be taking into account when they are trying to keep hold of Kimi.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 04:48 (Ref:858503)   #24
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Minardi-Mercedes?
Probably a longshot but a good idea, just the same. It will be interesting to see how the Ferrari/Sauber team go this year (with some "shared" stuff) and, to a lesser degree Jag/Jordan with the same donk. If these teams go OK, then Minardi/Mercedes might not be too silly. Then drivers like DC, who are'nt really quite quick enough, have somewhere to go for development and experience.

Last edited by deeks6; 1 Feb 2004 at 04:50.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 07:39 (Ref:858553)   #25
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC go to Minardi for experience? He already has the experience. The only way he would go there would be in order to cruise and collect.