Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2003, 17:05 (Ref:705826)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What is Bernie's job.

It seems round here that everything that is bad is Bernie's fault!

But what is his actual job? Who is he sticking up for? What is his fault (at all or completely)? If he wasn't there would it be any different (my guess for this last one is that it would be very similar, but things would happen slower!).

Is it his fault that there is no overtaking/we are not at [insert] GP name/the FIA's ruling over Ralf/tyres/or whatever else you wish to insert!

Perhaps we can go further too. What differences would we have seen if Rindt hadn't have been tragically killed? And what would be different if the original Concorde agreement hadn't happened. All this should give us insight into what Bernie has done for the sport.

What do you know about Mr Bernard Ecclestone?

Here is a starting point http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-eccber.html

Post your thoughts (normal forum rules apply )...
Old 2 Sep 2003, 18:56 (Ref:705953)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, this has been said countless times before, but, if it wasn't for the little big man, I doubt as many of us would be interested in F1. Only behind the Football World Cup and probably the Olympics in terms of viewers nowadays - and they occur every 4 years, not 16 times per year. And the Bernster has to take a huge amount of credit for that.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:23 (Ref:706048)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Born in IPSH*T (slip of keyboard ), i hate him now.
All of that i i still cant see why he has a lovely wife, could it be the money? surely not!

Last edited by Smokey 6 litre; 2 Sep 2003 at 20:24.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:56 (Ref:706090)   #4
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ernie Schmecklebone is a putz who would be king...
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:10 (Ref:706556)   #5
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used to like him,now absolutaly hate him.
He may have done good stuff for the sport in the distant past but since about the early nineties he has had ONE THING on his mind-to claim f1 as his own and milk it for as many millions as he can get!!!

Maclaren,williams and tyrell tried to curb his meglomania back then but the fia eventually took bern's side(don't get me started on max!at least bernie admited once that he is dishonest)
The fia saw a way to use their power to make some dosh and sold the comercial rights to bern for a few hundred mill for the period of one hundred years(voted in by a select few at some ungodly hour of the morning in a secret meeting).
As bizare as that deal sounds it is unfortunately true

getting an idea of why he is reviled yet?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:18 (Ref:706567)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
Well, this has been said countless times before, but, if it wasn't for the little big man, I doubt as many of us would be interested in F1. Only behind the Football World Cup and probably the Olympics in terms of viewers nowadays - and they occur every 4 years, not 16 times per year. And the Bernster has to take a huge amount of credit for that.
Interesting. Asp and I must come at the sport from very different views because I associate Bernie with everything that I hate about F1 and which has made me take my interests elsewhere (in motorsport).

Sure, F1 is a successful business and he deserves the credit for that (in addition to all the money the success has made him) but he has taken the sport away; at least for me.

Regards

Jim
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:41 (Ref:706596)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
One thing I have to add, it's not just Bernie who gets all the money from F1 commercial deals etc. OK, he's hardly done badly out of it [], but neither have any of the team bossess. As F1 is more commercially successful, they can get more money out of sponsors, etc.

Of course, he has his faults - but someone in such a position of power is bound never to please everyone. Don't ever think I'm the blokes biggest fan - far from it - but I do believe he often gets a huge amount of stick for things that are either better in the long run or maybe not his fault.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:07 (Ref:707487)   #8
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think his job is to manage the formula one circus. In the process he manages to make himself (and many other people in F1) very, very wealthy. I'm sure he doesn't lose too much sleep if he annoys the odd person every now and again...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 11:52 (Ref:709029)   #9
VeeEightFan
Rookie

VeeEightFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have any of you ever spoken with Bernieor met him socially?It replects badly on those whorevile him for making money.Does this indicate a high degree of jealousyfromsome poormal adjujstedpeople who have a passion for trying to be-little successful people.
Without BernieF1 todaywould not the the first class sportingentertfainment or technicaltour de force that itis. Also Ron Dennis, Sirt Frank Williamset al would not be a wealthy asthey are.I applaud Bernie for doing what he has donefor F1 and motorsportfans throughtout the world. If it has made him richthengood luck to him. He made the movesthat no one else was game to make. That not only takes courage but also guts anda quality brain.
Bravo Bernie. I applaud you.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 12:35 (Ref:709076)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you think they should be happy because they have those $??!!
They would have have 10 times more if bernie took only 20% like any other agent
OR-
looking from the other direction..maybe they don't like the reputation bernie is giving f1
Old 5 Sep 2003, 13:38 (Ref:709139)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by VeeEightFan
Have any of you ever spoken with Bernieor met him socially?It replects badly on those whorevile him for making money.Does this indicate a high degree of jealousyfromsome poormal adjujstedpeople who have a passion for trying to be-little successful people.
Without BernieF1 todaywould not the the first class sportingentertfainment or technicaltour de force that itis. Also Ron Dennis, Sirt Frank Williamset al would not be a wealthy asthey are.I applaud Bernie for doing what he has donefor F1 and motorsportfans throughtout the world. If it has made him richthengood luck to him. He made the movesthat no one else was game to make. That not only takes courage but also guts anda quality brain.
Bravo Bernie. I applaud you.

Whorevile? (i suspect this one is an insult)
Adjujstedpeople?
Richthengood?
sportingentertfainment??

:confused:
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:11 (Ref:709172)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
They would have have 10 times more if bernie took only 20% like any other agent
What an odd (and totally niave) comment. Just out of curiosity, how much do you think he gets?
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:45 (Ref:709221)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His management skills canno be disputed; they us makes them work is another matter!

About overtaking problems, he certainly is the main responsible, since he made partnership with Mr. Tilke, who perfectly succeded in spoiling most F1 tracks, with narrow space and no straighs.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:49 (Ref:709229)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In 1993, Bernie Ecclestone was the highest paid man in England with a salary of $45 million...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:58 (Ref:709235)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
About overtaking problems, he certainly is the main responsible, since he made partnership with Mr. Tilke, who perfectly succeded in spoiling most F1 tracks, with narrow space and no straighs.
Like Sepang? - oh no, that is hugely wide with two consecutive long straights.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 21:46 (Ref:709608)   #16
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Bernie took over F1 was a circus just as it is now and all the elements where there, cars, tracks, drivers and some money. What F1 needs though was someone who would get their nose bend out of joint once or twice without giving up and although not always being popular, and yes, probably taking abit to much percent wise, he has done alot to get F1 to be the pinicle of motorsports in the world. Before Bernie F1 was sometimes show as British GP highlights and so forth, no one really know about it now it is bigger than everything but the World Cup and the Olympics in terms of viewing figures. These are once every four years in which time F1 has around 64 races. So yes Bernie makes mistakes, and once someone gets tarnised with a brush of negativity it's hard for people to see the positive plus newspapers and the media do not survive on happy stories EG If Bernie demanded money of say Minardi it would be big news, Bernie gives money to Minardi like he did the media go, oh that was nice but hey he has billions and that's it. So yeah you get good and bad with everything but like the fat from a large double chocolate chip chocolate icecream with toffee and chocolate spread topped off with cream it's worth it.

Any one thing we should get a poll? A overall in Bernie good for F1 since he came in all those years ago, not jsut on the last few years?

Last edited by Phoenix1; 5 Sep 2003 at 21:48.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 08:53 (Ref:709928)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Attached Thumbnails
godfather.jpg  
Old 6 Sep 2003, 22:46 (Ref:710430)   #18
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barhrain, India and Russia are just 3 things that come to mind about what Bernie does
From Pitpass.com
Tickets for the inaugural Bahrain GP, scheduled for 4 April 2004, will go on sale next week.
The tickets will go on sale internationally next weekend to coincide with the Italian GP.

Shaikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al Khalifa, president of the General Organisation for Youth and Sports (Goys) president and the Bahrain International Circuit (BIC), has announced that the 2004 Bahrain GP will be officially launched next weekend at Monza, when the event logo will also be unveiled.

"Everyone is optimistic of the success of the launch," says Shaikh Fawaz, "and we are quite sure that we would achieve our set targets. We have set up a favourable ground for investment and it is now left to the investors and businessmen to make use of this great opportunity."
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:46 (Ref:713073)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
In 1993, Bernie Ecclestone was the highest paid man in England with a salary of $45 million...
In 2001, if i'm not wrong, he still was the first, hie earnings being close to $170 million.. oh poorboy!