Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:22 (Ref:702073)   #26
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Jag should stick with their current drivers -- and help them develop their skills properly, rather than sticking with the revolving door method & hoping to find a great driver @ a rookie's salary.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:29 (Ref:702080)   #27
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to autosport.com, Jaguar is not the bottomless pit it once was when drivers came to negotiate salaries, in fact, they may need a driver with money.

Still think Jacques fits the bill? - not that he ever did.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 23:26 (Ref:703097)   #28
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Jag should stick with Webber and Wilson. Revolving doors aren't good for developing talent.

Besides, they could never afford Villeneuve on his current salary. I don't think there are that many teams who would pay that much money for a driver who hasn't had the best few years of his career. Maybe a test role? I doubt he'd do that though.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 00:18 (Ref:703107)   #29
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Actually, if Jaguar are looking for a pay driver, then maybe this is the chance that Jos is looking for because he is not a half bad driver with a pocket full of money.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 01:40 (Ref:703131)   #30
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Villeneuve paying $5m to get a 1 year drive with Jaguar if that's what Jaguar are reported to be demanding
Old 30 Aug 2003, 02:17 (Ref:703136)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The other JV, Jos Verstappen, is the man with the monied sponsors. He is the more likely Jag candidate with such a strong cheque book than Villeneuve.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Aug 2003, 21:17 (Ref:704273)   #32
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson and Webber is a really good line up for Jaguar, and i dont think it would be strengthened by removing Wilson and adding JV.
JV is on a downward spiral, Wilson is rapidly improving.

i take it you're a big JV fan Zxea.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 12:24 (Ref:704759)   #33
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verstappen has played with the revolving (revolting?)doors of Jaguar/Stewart, why would they sign him again? Maybe they have forgotten!
Old 1 Sep 2003, 14:43 (Ref:704836)   #34
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Verstappen has played with the revolving (revolting?)doors of Jaguar/Stewart, why would they sign him again? Maybe they have forgotten!
As has been said above, $$$$$$ (OK, Euros to be more accurate, but I don't have a Euro sign on this keyboard....)

According to rumours in various sources (Autosport in the last couple of weeks was one I think) Jaguar's no2 driver next year will need to bring money/sponsorship to secure the drive-

OK, I don't see them taking on somneone like Alex Yoong purely for the money, but if Verstappen has access to what they need financially, then he's probably in a strong position to get the seat
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:38 (Ref:708036)   #35
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I would have liked to see Fisi in a Jaguar (or anything better than he deserves @ Sauber). But why not stick Jacques in there? He could do really well again - he needs a chance to re-establish himself as the "other champion" in F1!
Old 5 Sep 2003, 04:35 (Ref:708714)   #36
lucidique
Rookie

lucidique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would be great if JV were to move to jaguar. nothing against justin wilson, but mark webber seems to need a more experienced and aggressive teammate to give him a hand in developing the car and JV might provide a bit of in team competition

but i don't really see it happening. my bet is that he'll stay with B.A.R., he appears to be quite the martyr :confused:
Old 5 Sep 2003, 05:00 (Ref:708722)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And hasnt Jacques done a magnificent job of turning BARF-1 into a Ferrari beater?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Sep 2003, 10:47 (Ref:708972)   #38
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MM reports Nick H as the one and out of all the choice I'd agree with that
Old 5 Sep 2003, 12:07 (Ref:709050)   #39
VeeEightFan
Rookie

VeeEightFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think JV would take a salary cut to drive for Jaguar. He is currently on $16 million, which makes him the most over-paid driver in F1 (apart from RS who also gets $16 mill).
Jaguar got rid of Niki Lauda because he put Pizzonia into the team, plus other insiders, who have since been sent packing. Pizzonia was completely out of his depth, both in the driving seat and in the PR arena, and area which is vital for Jaguar throughout the world.
Don't discount Nick Heidfeld being talked to by senior Jag management. He may look like a 16 year old, but he has definite talent.
I agree that HH-F, JV, and RF will probably be looking for other work next year.
JW will have to come up with a pay deal to remain at Jaguar and at this very moment his manager Dr Jonathan Palmer is chatting furiously with John Hogan, and company.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 21:14 (Ref:711185)   #40
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if he pays them...he could afford it after all!

I watched Wilson test at Monza...miles off the pace!...he lacked continuity, his entry and exits at the chicanes just didn't flow, not visually, nor audably, nor on the watch!
Old 7 Sep 2003, 21:38 (Ref:711206)   #41
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put Wilson back into Test driver role and let him learn and develop and bring him back in 2005. I'd put JV in if he brings the cash. If JV is still a true racer he will switch. We know Webber is fast but he is still a rookie and rookies can always do with a hand here and there and the team might respond well to JV. Only issue I forsee is that JV does not do apperances etc.. for teams. I hope JV swollows some pride so he and his legance in teh future can go to what it should and could so easily be.

Last edited by Phoenix1; 7 Sep 2003 at 21:38.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 21:40 (Ref:711213)   #42
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is putting pressure on himself with this artical but to get a drive next year he's going to have to do well.

From ITV.com
Jacques Villeneuve is looking forward to the Italian Grand Prix, one of the fastest circuits on the calendar.

The French-Canadian is well-known for his preference for genuine drivers’ tracks and with Spa-Francorchamps absent this year Monza is the next best thing.

”The track itself is very different to most other circuits. There are long straight lines between the corners, so you are almost less active and have time to relax.

”The last corner, Parabolica, is quite special. It’s very difficult; visually you don’t want to go there as there is a real danger element, and it’s a difficult corner to get right.

”You can always go faster there than you actually do.

His team-mate Jenson Button is also a great believer in the famous curve.

“For me, the best part of the circuit is the last corner, Parabolica. It’s a great section to drive and is really fast and flowing,” he said.

“The most difficult part of the circuit is the left-right-left corner, Ascari.

“It’s very high-speed, very historical and very different.

“it is a race that I really enjoy.”

BAR’s season has been somewhat blighted during the summer from their Bridgestone tyres.

They can though take considerable comfort from the Hungarian GP – the BAR005 was lapping just 0.5s slower than the Ferraris.

The Monza track should suit their package as they continue their fight for fifth in the constructors’ championship.