Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 4 Sep 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3298947)   #126
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To me "...re-assess my future in the BTCC" is look at what's on offer in the series as opposed to " ... I may look at other series"

I don't think this is the last we have seen if TOC in the BTCC...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3298951)   #127
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
To me "...re-assess my future in the BTCC" is look at what's on offer in the series as opposed to " ... I may look at other series"

I don't think this is the last we have seen if TOC in the BTCC...
well TOC did jump ship suddenly at AMD
Old 4 Sep 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3298952)   #128
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOC will be back, but I can guarantee there'll be some Brit GT drives for him.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 19:34 (Ref:3299036)   #129
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
It's all down to finances. TOC will get paid by a gentleman driver to pilot a GT. He has to bring money to Tony Gilham to drive the Passat.
I'd wager there's rather more to it than that, based on the comments he's made in the past...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3299048)   #130
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
He talked about running 6 cars this year.

Excuse me if I don't get too excited about this just yet
Well he hasn't really managed to run 4 properly this year yet, I though having TOC & Goff then getting Owy in the car showed promise but look what's happened now. Shame the potential is there, but then there is always next year after development, then next year after .......................................................
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3299057)   #131
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an interesting interlude. There is a picture of a Mercedes CLA racer floating around on Twitter. Now I think people are reading too much into this but some are calling it a BTCC racer and there were some rumours regarding a Mercedes entry recently...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3299062)   #132
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here's an interesting interlude. There is a picture of a Mercedes CLA racer floating around on Twitter. Now I think people are reading too much into this but some are calling it a BTCC racer and there were some rumours regarding a Mercedes entry recently...
Saw the picture but could find any real info on it, tho it did get people all un-necessary and cause some mouth foaming
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3299065)   #133
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/09/new...mg-racing.html

Is that the car? Its not NGTC
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3299068)   #134
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsCarsCars View Post
Hmmmm. It's not described as NGTC. Some comments there though...

"The CLA 45 AMG Racing Series is destined for the crowd-pulling race series featuring 2.0-litre turbocharged cars..."
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3299071)   #135
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
"with carbon fiber parts", "with permanent all-wheel drive" = NOT NGTC
Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3299074)   #136
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
"with carbon fiber parts", "with permanent all-wheel drive" = NOT NGTC
"The technical specifications will vary according to the race rules and race series. The engine output and power transmission are variable, with permanent all-wheel drive or purely front-wheel drive possible..."

So... lets wait until the Motor Show...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3299079)   #137
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
"The technical specifications will vary according to the race rules and race series. The engine output and power transmission are variable, with permanent all-wheel drive or purely front-wheel drive possible..."

So... lets wait until the Motor Show...
This is just a concept for now - or rather a sales pitch... "if you are willing to pay, we'll build it to your specifications"...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3299088)   #138
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks to me like a one make racer?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3299103)   #139
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That implies it is built to a basic specification which can be adapted to various series, so not NGTC. Cars built to NGTC do not race in other series; cars built for other series an not be adapted to NGTC.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3299113)   #140
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That implies it is built to a basic specification which can be adapted to various series, so not NGTC. Cars built to NGTC do not race in other series; cars built for other series an not be adapted to NGTC.
I am sure for the right €€€ AMG will be more than happy to build you an NGTC-challenger. (Unless they are philosophically oppossed to the idea of using spec parts, but going by their involvement in V8SC they aren't.)
Old 4 Sep 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3299114)   #141
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bonfire well and truly pee'd on there.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3299117)   #142
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt there was ever a rumour about a Mercedes entry anyway. Most likely, it was a case of somebody's fantasy that gets repeated on so many different forums that it ends up interpreted as something that might happen.

But hey, I'm cynical.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3299251)   #143
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I worked at Mercedes, I wouldn't authorise a programme for a premium car manufacturer to go and compete around some UK circuits against Toyotas, Protons and Chinese-built MGs. There's not enough prestige about competing in the BTCC.

It's just not the sort of thing Mercedes would consider!

So moving on...

Apart from MN, has this Renault Mégane story been reported elsewhere?
Old 5 Sep 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3299265)   #144
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
If I worked at Mercedes, I wouldn't authorise a programme for a premium car manufacturer to go and compete around some UK circuits against Toyotas, Protons and Chinese-built MGs. There's not enough prestige about competing in the BTCC.

It's just not the sort of thing Mercedes would consider!

So moving on...

Apart from MN, has this Renault Mégane story been reported elsewhere?
Yet there are Ford's, Audi's and BMW's on the grid too, all independent entries granted, but still on the grind nonetheless. Just playing devils advocate...
Old 5 Sep 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3299439)   #145
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes don't have to approve the program for it to happen. Sure it makes it more difficult, but its not like it used to be in the past, where a manufacturer blocking it makes it impossible.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3299443)   #146
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Mercedes don't have to approve the program for it to happen. Sure it makes it more difficult, but its not like it used to be in the past, where a manufacturer blocking it makes it impossible.
They could drag their heels and tell their dealers not to supply any production parts for example. I do wonder if the Audi got the blessing of Audi UK, because it's not the prettiest, classiest looking Audi I've ever seen.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3299444)   #147
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sure I have read a recent article - maybe on a team's website - who decided not to use a car due the manufacturer not giving them the blessing to use it.

Can't remember who it was?
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3299463)   #148
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Sure I have read a recent article - maybe on a team's website - who decided not to use a car due the manufacturer not giving them the blessing to use it.

Can't remember who it was?
I think that might have been Welch MotorSport and the SEAT Exeo
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3299464)   #149
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
They could drag their heels and tell their dealers not to supply any production parts for example. I do wonder if the Audi got the blessing of Audi UK, because it's not the prettiest, classiest looking Audi I've ever seen.
The Audi (in the first instance) was built by GPRM, and considering GPRM ran the factory team back in the 90s... it might have helped in terms of getting shells etc.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3299503)   #150
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I do wonder if the Audi got the blessing of Audi UK, because it's not the prettiest, classiest looking Audi I've ever seen.
I think the Audi is one of the best looking cars on the grid!
Closed Thread