Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jun 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2235547)   #1
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Leo Landman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cortina GT - setting the shocks - advice needed

A fellow competitor told us that in some corners our '65 Cortina GT lifted its inside rear wheel several inches off the tarmac. That's not what a Cortina is supposed to do, is it? So we think it's time to sort out the shock absorber settings.

I can't find a brand name, but there's a rotating knob on the side of each shock absorber, that can be adjusted in 24 small steps (clicks). The fronts were set at 12 clicks (= half the maximum stiffness), the rear shocks quite a bit stiffer at 17 (= two thirds).
I have no data on spring rates. All I can add is that there's a single leaf spring at the rear, a 7/8" anti-roll bar and uprated coil springs at the front, and the car turns in well enough.

Next Saturday we have some track time at Zandvoort, and we'd like to try several shock absorber settings. But how do we go about it? Start with the front shocks at maximum and the rears at minimum, and then work our way to the middle? Or adjust only front or rear shocks at a time? Or start with all shocks settings in the middle and work towards the extremes? And how many clicks of change at a time?

There must be a best way to go about this, and I hope some of you will be able to give us some advice. It would be much appreciated.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2235599)   #2
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
leo its vital to know how heavy you are and how do you sit in the car?
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2235614)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There must be a best way to go about this, and I hope some of you will be able to give us some advice. It would be much appreciated.
Sopunds like your car is too stiff at the back. Cortinas should be a lot stiffer at the front than back. What rating are your front springs?

Whatever you do at testing never change more than one thing at a time or you can not tell what change works and what does not. If you do not have time to find out your current spring ratings try and get some very stiff front springs and try those with current shock settings. From there go softer at the back until it feels better. If full soft at the back is still not enough then go harder at the front.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 23 Jun 2008 at 12:31.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2235624)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Basically its best IMHO to set all shocks to their hardest setting and try it for a few laps, come in and reset them to their softest and try it again. You will soon find out what suits the car and then you can fiddle with front to back settings to set the car up for your driving style. Whatever you do keep a note on what you do . If you make big changes for a start its easier to find out whats happening. No two drivers can always agree on a final setting to suit them ultimately !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Jun 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2235709)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its what they are supposed to do I thought.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/wills.ro...70913547835538
Old 23 Jun 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2235719)   #6
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 23 Jun 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2235780)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
looking good for the cameras doesn't necessarily mean your going fast Roger less of the cars lift wheels now than did then

basic Cortina set up seems to be 120-140 lb rear, 5-600lb front 7/8 ARB hard dampers in the dry and soft in the wet.

I know I'm not the quickest, but I'm not the slowest either !
Old 23 Jun 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2236011)   #8
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
leo its vital to know how heavy you are and how do you sit in the car?
I weigh in at 77 kg and I sit on me bum, facing forward.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2236017)   #9
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
hard dampers in the dry and soft in the wet
Hard as in 'maximum', and on all four corners?
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2236041)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I may have missed something here but how will adjusting dampers stop wheels lifting, surely spring rates need changing.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2236053)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure that you were not just launching off of the kerbing,I think I would be checking that first rather than changing anything,it seem's a bit unusual for the inside rear to lift.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2236064)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If he had two way adjustable shockers I would have thought it could introduce a bit of wheel lift if too hard on the rebound setting. I dont know but I have heard of guys going harder on the rebound to get a bit of oversteer in or do I have this wrong as I have two wa adjustables on my car amd am not sure what way to go either.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2236071)   #13
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Are you sure that you were not just launching off of the kerbing
Quite sure. I can provoke it by going into a corner on a trailing throttle.

Falcemob may be right about the springs, but there's nothing I can do about them at the moment.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2236159)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In that case Leo I think I would be inclined to play with the shocker settings,something like 4clicks off full hard on the front and maximum of 4 off full soft rear,you really dont have much choice,Falcie and Gordon are probably right,sounds more like spring related.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 06:54 (Ref:2236341)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
agreed, stiffer front springs is what you need, the front end is probably diving and unloading the rear . . .my MK1 estate does the same when I go shopping quickly
Old 24 Jun 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2236537)   #16
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
agreed, stiffer front springs is what you need, the front end is probably diving and unloading the rear . . .my MK1 estate does the same when I go shopping quickly
Put an engine in the back Joe
Old 24 Jun 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2236843)   #17
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC driver
Put an engine in the back Joe
thats what you do from time to time when you have your springs to stiff at the rear. I wouldnt mention flat beaten beetles overhere LC.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2237456)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/1766974993/
Anyway what would I know about lifting wheels !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Jun 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2237524)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And not a launch kerb in sight Gordon.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2237584)   #20
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
And not a launch kerb in sight Gordon.
no its just after the detroit locker came in.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2237781)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
very impressive

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...els-Gordon.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/1766974993/
Anyway what would I know about lifting wheels !
Old 26 Jun 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2237786)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I take it thats the original Zef!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2237804)   #23
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
I take it thats the original Zef!
no the original has a bottle of larkins in place of the jack
Old 26 Jun 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2237841)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Larkins? It's not strong enough.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2237980)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Larkins? It's not strong enough.
Come to think of it. I used to drink 15 pints a night, now I can manage 30.
Bob must be watering it down !