Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3666783)   #501
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Or he's confident that they've nailed the new regs.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 07:15 (Ref:3666828)   #502
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Or he's confident that they've nailed the new regs.
Hmmm, he would have to be very confident! It would be great to see Williams return to winning ways alongside Mclaren and make it a 5 team battle.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 14:10 (Ref:3666883)   #503
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
CJFG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As others have mentioned, I think Toro Rosso's second seat will be a straight fight between Kvyat and Gasly. Personally I've no idea who they'll plump for.

Kvyat looks a shadow of his former self at the mo, confidence is shot to pieces, but, he still has the (reported) backing of Franz Tost. On the other hand Gasly (the next Red Bull Junior in line really) is up there in the current GP2 standings, which reflects well on him, but being in a weaker field than recent years takes the gloss away a little. I doubt they would choose a non-affiliated Red Bull driver (speaking purely from Toro Rosso's recent past) but I could be surprised. In my eyes, Toro Rosso have to weigh up whether Kvyat can find the form of old or if Gasly can make the step up. Either way they'll be taking a punt.

On a different note, as an earlier poster noted, Giovinazzi is rapid but has the odd incident or two in him, iron that out and I think he'll be in Formula One in the next few years.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3666929)   #504
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Red Bull dont muck about. Kvyat had his chance and has lost the plot, which is sad, but RB don't care. They want/need potential winners now.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3667179)   #505
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Here's how I read it:

McLaren: is Alonso and Button vs Vandoorne. And it'll be Vandoorne. He's the future of McLaren and they can't afford to sideline him for another year. He's a Ron man too, and Jenson isn't.

Williams: Massa will be gone, and I'm sure the team would very much like Bottas to stay for consistency. Jenson has a good chance of joining and Perez is very much in the mix. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Laurence Stroll pays for Lance to take a race seat. So much so, I'll plump for a leftfield Button and Stroll lineup.

If I were Jenson I'd have been round to Grove and bitten Ms. Williams' arm off!
He must know Ron wants him out and Vandoorne in. I wouldn't allow Dennis the pleasure of sacking me – I'd walk. He doesn't need lots of cash, God knows, so he could be sensible on that front and get a season or two with a Merc motor – even if it is a tad 'detuned'. And it would add a certain symmetry to his career...
Old 23 Aug 2016, 23:37 (Ref:3667294)   #506
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
But Williams not only need a top liner, they need drivers with real fire in the belly.

Not sure Jense has that. Bottas does have that urge because hes still got much to prove.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 02:45 (Ref:3667308)   #507
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
If I were Jenson I'd have been round to Grove and bitten Ms. Williams' arm off!
He must know Ron wants him out and Vandoorne in. I wouldn't allow Dennis the pleasure of sacking me – I'd walk. He doesn't need lots of cash, God knows, so he could be sensible on that front and get a season or two with a Merc motor – even if it is a tad 'detuned'. And it would add a certain symmetry to his career...
Mr Button had a Benz engine.. when he won the WDC with Brawn..

Still hard to see the logic here, WilliamsF1 is not at the 'best of the rest' stage at the moment.

The usual questions racing drivers ask (in a variety of orders), is how much $$, how much stress, how competitive will I be, how much promoting do I have to do..

Even if the $ were right, would the rest of it fit the model?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Aug 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3667372)   #508
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If we assume - and it is only an assumption - that the doors of Woking are closed to Jenson, Williams is his most competitive option. No room at Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari, so Williams is next up. A better bet than Renault or Force India.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3667375)   #509
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
And in this week's least surprising news story, Bottas says he's keen to stay at Grove.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3667379)   #510
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If we assume - and it is only an assumption - that the doors of Woking are closed to Jenson, Williams is his most competitive option. No room at Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari, so Williams is next up. A better bet than Renault or Force India.
Spot on. But he must be asking himself some tough, searching questions. He's almost certainly won his last F1 race, certainly WDC, and I'd hate to see him do a Graham Hill (bless him) and overstay his time. Maybe rallycross beckons – like his dad – or even fronting-up Top Gear. That'd give the Stig a fright...
Old 24 Aug 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3667380)   #511
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, he's 36, will be 37 going into next season. Clearly he's winding down but I think he's still got the pace to win races given the equipment. Who knows, perhaps Williams will nail the 2017 regulations and be able to nab a win from to time. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Remember, Alonso is only 18 months younger.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3667689)   #512
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Fascinating article on JB in this week's Autosport. Points out that he is the only person ever to outscore both Hamilton and Alonso as team mates over the balance of a season, and also mentions his formidable physical fitness. Really hope he gets a decent seat next year - if I was in charge at Ferrari he'd have replaced Kimi in a second.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3667723)   #513
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fascinating article on JB in this week's Autosport. Points out that he is the only person ever to outscore both Hamilton and Alonso as team mates over the balance of a season, and also mentions his formidable physical fitness. Really hope he gets a decent seat next year - if I was in charge at Ferrari he'd have replaced Kimi in a second.
I hardly think outscoring Alonso last year counts though does it, basically his car broke down fewer times in a shocking season of reliability.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3667848)   #514
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The scores on the doors are what count at the end of the season. JB has beaten Hamilton and Alonso - no-one else has *ever* done that. Just reinforces to me that JB deserves several more years in F1 yet.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3667913)   #515
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Quote:
The scores on the doors are what count at the end of the season. JB has beaten Hamilton and Alonso - no-one else has *ever* done that. Just reinforces to me that JB deserves several more years in F1 yet.
Oh don't get me wrong, he is clearly still a fine driver and i would love to see him get the Williams drive next year, just think the "scored more points than Alonso in 2015" argument is a bit of a tenuous one.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3668505)   #516
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Performance and feedback skills count first for Mclaren at the moment and results are only more important when it's truly on the line.

Having said that Button could be driving as well as he ever has (Alonso even said he really rates him) but all it might end up doing for him is attracting a lesser team to his services.

Sods law says in 2017 Mclaren-Honda will be sniffing for wins at least and Button doesn't get payback for his hardwork and patience!
Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3668587)   #517
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other issue for Button is McLaren have a habit of producing a duff chassis every few years and this years chassis appears to be a good one.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3668626)   #518
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'd be surprised to see McLaren looking at wins next year. But I could be wrong.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3668671)   #519
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'd be surprised to see McLaren looking at wins next year. But I could be wrong.
I like both McLaren and Honda, but I would be shocked if they were able to challenge for wins next year. But like you, anything is possible.

Richard
Old 30 Aug 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3668673)   #520
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
he is the only person ever to outscore both Hamilton and Alonso as team mates over the balance of a season
I didn't look it up, but isn't he the *only* driver who has been a teammate of both Hamilton and Alonso?
Hence, a bit of a stupid statistical fact then, no?

Equally stupid: did you know Nico Rosberg is the *only* driver ever to outscore both Hamilton and Schumacher as teammates in numbers of victory over a season?
Old 30 Aug 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3668676)   #521
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I didn't look it up, but isn't he the *only* driver who has been a teammate of both Hamilton and Alonso?
to be fair, both Hamilton and Alonso have also both been team mates to Alonso and Hamilton!

seriously though Button does have an excellent resume minus his first couple of years.

beat Villeneuve and Sato in the BAR days and more than had the measure of Barri for the Honda/Brawn years. and following LH's departure at Mclaren soundly thumped Mags and later Perez all be it they were rookies. but came back and took the fight straight to Alonso who most still regard as the most complete driver on the grid.

put it another way, is there another driver who has beaten 3 former world champ team mates over the course of a season during their career?

off the top of my head i cant think of any.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3668679)   #522
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but came back and took the fight straight to Alonso who most still regard as the most complete driver on the grid.
Who has got the upper hand this year though?
Old 30 Aug 2016, 21:29 (Ref:3668686)   #523
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Who has got the upper hand this year though?
Everyone can be beat. The point is that while Alonso may still yet beat him this year, Jenson is competitive with the best.

Another measure is to look at when he was beaten by his teammate over his 15+ years in F1. He has been up against a mixture of journeymen, rookies and world champions...

2001 Giancarlo Fisichella 8 vs 2 points
2008 Rubens Barrichello 11 vs 3 point
2010 Lewis Hamilton 240 vs 214 points
2012 Lewis Hamilton 190 vs 188 points
2016 Fernando Alonso 30 vs 17 points (incomplete season)

That is nothing to sneeze at.

Richard
Old 30 Aug 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3668695)   #524
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think I'm also right in saying that Button is the only person ever, in any car racing category, to beat Hamilton over the balance of a season. And I rate Hamilton very highly.

For me, the fact is that JB is still super-fit and lightning quick. His weakness compared to the very, very best is that he can't wring the neck of a recalcitrant car. But give him a decent platform, and he's every bit as quick as the best.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 00:18 (Ref:3668705)   #525
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
put it another way, is there another driver who has beaten 3 former world champ team mates over the course of a season during their career?

off the top of my head i cant think of any.
Prost. Beat three former champs in Lauda, Rosberg and Senna. He also beat future champs Mansell and Hill prior to their world titles.