Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Nov 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2063250)   #26
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just got my DVD... it's BLANK!!! Waiting for a replacement.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 00:53 (Ref:2063440)   #27
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I haven't seen the film yet
Mmmm, something tells me you'll be watching it soon, contest winner!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 10:07 (Ref:2064208)   #28
Rollcentre
Rookie

Rollcentre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FYI. Certain parts of the film had to be 'manipulated' to make more of a story.....which was about Stuart, as the director didnt have the footage, the audio etc, and to tell the story, embellishments were needed. On the thursday night he did want to do more laps, I told him he couldnt have them, and he needed an explanation why......the Director saw the incidents, and got Stuart to 'act' out the parts, with more drama than actually took place. Unfortunately, to some people (hmmmmmm) it seems it made him look bad. And the more than vocal attacks on him from certain quarters have been in my view extremely uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but for gods sake.....getting personal?

You only have to look at my reaction to Stuart when he pits having been battling for fastest time in the wet with Dindo Capello to see what I think about him.

He came in as a complete rookie, cautiously, and with a lot of respect for those around him. He latched on to Joao as his tutor, and sucked in everything he could in double quick time. He traded fastest laps with Joao at every LMS race, setting overall fastest lap on 2 occasions, and finished the year as best rookie, not only in the LMS (unless anything changes this weekend) but also at Le Mans. He never put a scratch on the car, never put a foot wrong, and helped bring the car home for the best british privateer result in nearly a decade at his first attempt.

So, please do not have factual results clouded by artistic interpretation.....Stuart played to the camera when asked, under direction. The lad is as genuine as anyone I have ever met. He really does work at that store and keeps his feet on the ground. He has values, and morals, and principles, and is bloody talented. His family are totally supportive, and totally involved.

So please. Give the kid some credit?

And the film is different........everbody would moan if it was the same. John M needed a different angle rather than just document what happened in the race overall, though its still in there....... and bloody grateful I am too.....not many teams get that privilege to have their Le Mans documented. I have enjoyed it, and still smile when I see that clip at the end......my humour is so dark, even I almost couldn't tell.

Sorry it is not to all tastes, but it has won another award, so somebody somewhere other than me, and a few others, must like it.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 07:22 (Ref:2064792)   #29
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks a lot for your inside info, Martin. We're very lucky John went through all the efforts of making these movies, this way we get a nice insight view of the race we all love so much.

Best of luck for the '08-season. Fingers crossed for a podium finish, you deserve it!
Old 11 Nov 2007, 15:49 (Ref:2065015)   #30
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Appreciate the candid explanations Martin, I still love the films and have lent them to various freinds to whet their appetite for Le Mans! Thanks again for giving the director the chance to make the films in the first place!
Hope 2008 is more friutful, will be cheering you on all the way!
Old 12 Nov 2007, 09:38 (Ref:2065459)   #31
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollcentre
FYI. Certain parts of the film had to be 'manipulated' to make more of a story.....which was about Stuart, as the director didnt have the footage, the audio etc, and to tell the story, embellishments were needed. On the thursday night he did want to do more laps, I told him he couldnt have them, and he needed an explanation why......the Director saw the incidents, and got Stuart to 'act' out the parts, with more drama than actually took place. Unfortunately, to some people (hmmmmmm) it seems it made him look bad. And the more than vocal attacks on him from certain quarters have been in my view extremely uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but for gods sake.....getting personal?

You only have to look at my reaction to Stuart when he pits having been battling for fastest time in the wet with Dindo Capello to see what I think about him.

He came in as a complete rookie, cautiously, and with a lot of respect for those around him. He latched on to Joao as his tutor, and sucked in everything he could in double quick time. He traded fastest laps with Joao at every LMS race, setting overall fastest lap on 2 occasions, and finished the year as best rookie, not only in the LMS (unless anything changes this weekend) but also at Le Mans. He never put a scratch on the car, never put a foot wrong, and helped bring the car home for the best british privateer result in nearly a decade at his first attempt.

So, please do not have factual results clouded by artistic interpretation.....Stuart played to the camera when asked, under direction. The lad is as genuine as anyone I have ever met. He really does work at that store and keeps his feet on the ground. He has values, and morals, and principles, and is bloody talented. His family are totally supportive, and totally involved.

So please. Give the kid some credit?

And the film is different........everbody would moan if it was the same. John M needed a different angle rather than just document what happened in the race overall, though its still in there....... and bloody grateful I am too.....not many teams get that privilege to have their Le Mans documented. I have enjoyed it, and still smile when I see that clip at the end......my humour is so dark, even I almost couldn't tell.

Sorry it is not to all tastes, but it has won another award, so somebody somewhere other than me, and a few others, must like it.
martin, read the notes again, everyone including me did give him good credit, hes obviously very talented and destined for success........ before your post, it had become quite obvious that some artistic impression was at work, and the film was not a true portrayal of stuart.......I think theres a lesson to be learnt here for the future when handling the press and acting out scenes........a bit like Anthea Turner and the chocolate bar sponsorship photo at her wedding.......it felt like the right thing to do at the time, but backfired big time...... best of luck
Old 12 Nov 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2065510)   #32
Rollcentre
Rookie

I don't think there is anything wrong in the presentation of the film, personally. I do think its wrong to make public personal attacks on people, especially when they are (usually) ill informed. Stuart was slighted on these pages, and I am not happy about that. Its way too easy to slag somebody off here, so maybe the next time somebody wants to rant about a driver/team/whatever, maybe they will just rethink the wording of their post before they press send? You never know who is reading these pages......

Anyway......what a great job he and the rest of the Creation boys did in Brazil. Congrats all, really made that effort worthwhile.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2065644)   #33
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Martin, Ten-tenths don’t accept people being slagged off on their forums……..if anything as bad as you are suggesting has been said about Stuart on the forum, the ten-tenths moderators would have taken it down straight away, as they are really hot on this sort of thing………the fact that its all still on the thread is evidence that’s its all a load of conversation and ramblings from the enthusiasts that visit the site……..yes, several of us have made ill judged assessments of stuart based on the evidence of the film………but only because it now turns out scenes were manipulated and acted out to add a little drama.

please understand that.......... the directors artistic licence = ill informed judgements my the film viewers…….we are only going on the evidence of the film, not everyone has met Stuart……..and yes, a fantastic result for Creation, I'm sure Stuarts driving ability was a major factor, as it was at LeMans.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 17:45 (Ref:2065793)   #34
Johnny1lap
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
Johnny1lap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop arguing about Stuart Hall. He has done a great job this year for Creation and Rollcentre Racing. Stuart hall went to Le Mans this year as a rookie, you have to understand you only get a couple of practice laps and you’re in the race (in the unknown) and as a rookie he contributed a fantastic result at Le Mans. Some people are judging him when this thread was clearly put here to discuss the film (Which was excellent ).
Old 12 Nov 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2065799)   #35
Rollcentre
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1lap
Some people are judging him when this thread was clearly put here to discuss the film (Which was excellent ).
Spot on. I rest my case M'Lud.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2066043)   #36
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
What was that expression Martin "armchair pundits"? It's so easy to criticize from the comfort of the living-room.... Happy you jumped in the discussion, a true breath of fresh air!
Old 12 Nov 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2066056)   #37
Rollcentre
Rookie

Its always interesting to see whats going on on these pages, there's a lot of well informed people here, but just sometimes........I can't contain myself....I cannot see myself as a breath of fresh air.....maybe a little superheated at times! But thanks! And apologies for butting in. MS.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 22:27 (Ref:2066062)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche45
I just got my DVD... it's BLANK!!! Waiting for a replacement.
Now that is the ultimate 'manipulation'.

It is clear to me that everyone took it in the context of the film. If these parts were being played, then he did a good job and the comments here have only gone along with that. The primadonna or petulant comments came with compliments too. Compliments to both his play and his racing. So the DVD shows the story it wants and the racer is considered a quick one.

As for the DVD, surely it is designed for "armchair pundits". They are the people it hopes to get money from, if you chose to make one, then...

I look forward to seeing it. Probably sit in the armchair to watch it. TVs add weight to race cars.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 00:29 (Ref:2066141)   #39
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
Mmmm, something tells me you'll be watching it soon, contest winner!
Yes, what a nice surprise. Christmas has come early!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 11:06 (Ref:2066379)   #40
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sincerely and wholeheartedly appologise if my comments have caused upset. This was and never has been my intention. I do not know Stuart and after watching his efforts both at Le Mans and Silverstone in the flesh I admire and applaud the man in his rookie year. I appologise for giving my views based on the scenes in the film and thinking them to be real and not taking the time to ask others who may actually know Stuart for their opinion of his behaviour.
Please accept the above as I assure you all no intent to slur a reputaion was intended.

C9/89
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:00 (Ref:2066573)   #41
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
I sincerely and wholeheartedly appologise if my comments have caused upset. This was and never has been my intention. I do not know Stuart and after watching his efforts both at Le Mans and Silverstone in the flesh I admire and applaud the man in his rookie year. I appologise for giving my views based on the scenes in the film and thinking them to be real and not taking the time to ask others who may actually know Stuart for their opinion of his behaviour.
Please accept the above as I assure you all no intent to slur a reputaion was intended.

C9/89
Why apologise? Graham and Martin have put the record straight with regard to the way Stuart came across in the film. You made comments based on what you saw, what the hell is wrong with that? This is, afterall, a discussion forum. Why on earth should you be made to feel guilty for expressing your views?

If Stuart is upset, he knows exactly where to lay the blame, and that's not on your (or any other Tenths member's) doorstep. His portrayal in the film appears to have been somewhat 'unfortunate' in parts, that's not your fault, is it!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 16:31 (Ref:2066664)   #42
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Im big enough to admit when I have made an ill informed opinion, I have no desire to come across as a judgemental person, I have admitted I made the comments as I saw them from the film and as a conscientious type of person felt I should appologise for any wrongdoing, implied or otherwise.
Im not by nature a vindictive person and usually do not make general statements about specific persons in my posts and will try to refrain from doing so in future posts.
I have position in motoracing where I could easily come into contact with Martin and Stuart in certain circumstances and would not have wanted to offend either of them.
I hope this is an acceptable explanation.

Last edited by Justin Moran; 13 Nov 2007 at 16:34.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:29 (Ref:2066722)   #43
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Im big enough to admit when I have made an ill informed opinion, I have no desire to come across as a judgemental person, I have admitted I made the comments as I saw them from the film and as a conscientious type of person felt I should appologise for any wrongdoing, implied or otherwise.
Im not by nature a vindictive person and usually do not make general statements about specific persons in my posts and will try to refrain from doing so in future posts.
I have position in motoracing where I could easily come into contact with Martin and Stuart in certain circumstances and would not have wanted to offend either of them.
I hope this is an acceptable explanation.
Fair enough........

I have a tendency to stick up for the 'little guy', which perhaps (ironically in this instance) explains why I'm such a big fan of Rollcentre Racing!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2066727)   #44
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, have you watched yours yet?

L.P.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 05:18 (Ref:2067069)   #45
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Fair enough........

I have a tendency to stick up for the 'little guy', which perhaps (ironically in this instance) explains why I'm such a big fan of Rollcentre Racing!
Thank you Mr B!

What are your impressions (if you have seen it?) of the film?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 09:49 (Ref:2067155)   #46
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Thank you Mr B!

What are your impressions (if you have seen it?) of the film?
Haven't received it yet (so I remain an ill informed armchair pundit for the time being ). I absolutely loved the first film (I've genuinely never enjoyed a motorsport related film more) and I fully expect this one to be even better. I'll post my impressions once I've seen it, I promise.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 16:19 (Ref:2067412)   #47
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Looking forward to that, James!!!!
Old 19 Nov 2007, 12:03 (Ref:2070783)   #48
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just finished watching it (and I'm about to sit down and watch it again! ).

Firstly, just to lay to rest any ugly rumours that Stuart Hall is a 'Prima Donna'; poppycock! The scene in question is so false in nature and so far removed from the Stuart we see throughout the rest of the film as to be laughable. Without doubt the worst scene in the film, it's a great pity it was included (could have been covered interview style). And, whilst we're about it, nor did I see any reason to disbelieve that the lad does indeed work in the shop. That said, I fully respect the views of those members who interpreted the film otherwise (I just happen to disagree with them).

With that out of the way, I thought it was a blinding film. The equal, without doubt, of the first film. Better than the first film? I don't think so, personally. But, it was, once again, gripping viewing from start to finish.

I thought 'The Gaffer' received a particularly sympathetic portrayal (is he really that calm all the time? ), and the sheer scale of the adventure Stuart was undertaking was brilliantly encapsulated throughout. One of my favourite scenes in the film was that wonderful little 'cameo' from Henri in which he gave Stuart some sound advice. Loved the race sequences (both in-car and trackside), and the cuts to the fans on the campsites captured the party atmosphere away from the track perfectly. And the highlight? For me, it was the opportunity to relive that Radio Le Mans moment towards the end of the film (damn, if I didn't get all emotional again!).

Fantastic sequel, let's hope they complete the trilogy!
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:46 (Ref:2071153)   #49
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Just finished watching it (and I'm about to sit down and watch it again! ).

And the highlight? For me, it was the opportunity to relive that Radio Le Mans moment towards the end of the film (damn, if I didn't get all emotional again!).

Fantastic sequel, let's hope they complete the trilogy!
Good innit?

Just makes me want to be back there already! Cant bloody wait!

Hope the trilogy is completed with a podium for Martin, he bloody well deserved it this year and was robbed.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:57 (Ref:2071161)   #50
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still waiting on the post for my dang copy of it.

L.P.