Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2740444)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Veggie ALMS 2011 Discussion

Well the first thing coming out is that Roush Yates will be offering a Ford EcoBoost turbo V-6 for the P-2 class, also a technical partnership with Lola for various engine options for Lola LMPs in the future.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 6 Aug 2010 at 15:27.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2740446)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Please keep in mind that we have a separate thread for discussion on the race schedule.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2740453)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what the specs of the Ford/Roush Yates engine ? heard its a Lola exclusive ?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2740538)   #4
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy View Post
Anyone know what the specs of the Ford/Roush Yates engine ? heard its a Lola exclusive ?
Its the same engine in the Ford Taurus SHO (3rd Generation)

Quote:
The production engines use the Duratec 35 V6 engine block. The fuel charging and delivery systems can attain high fuel pressures of up to 2150 PSI, necessary for efficient operation of the direct fuel injection system. It uses 2 Garrett GT15 turbochargers which can spin at up to 170,000 rpm and provide 12 PSI of boost. The engine can consume up to 25% more air over the naturally-aspirated counterpart. Through the use of direct injection, the engine needs only regular-grade gasoline to run, though premium fuel is recommended. The EcoBoost V6 was first available as an engine option for 2010 Lincoln MKS, followed by 2010 Ford Flex, 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, and 2010 Lincoln MKT.[10]

The fuel charging and delivery systems were co-developed with Robert Bosch GmbH.[11]

Ford also built an experimental 3.5 L GTDI EcoBoost engine modified with E85 direct injection and gasoline port fuel injection, which achieved a BMEP score of 305 psi (27 bar), which translates to approximately 553 pound-feet (750 N·m) of torque and 316 horsepower (236 kW)@3000rpm (flat torque curve from 1500-3000rpm)
Old 6 Aug 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2740633)   #5
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Roush-Yates say they have up to four options for the LMP2 class for Lola teams next year. The EcoBoost(I assume 3.0-3.2) will be one. What are the other four? 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo? 5.0 Cammer V8? Any others(as that's at three)?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2740647)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Roush-Yates say they have up to four options for the LMP2 class for Lola teams next year. The EcoBoost(I assume 3.0-3.2) will be one. What are the other four? 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo? 5.0 Cammer V8? Any others(as that's at three)?
And where do they say this?

L.P.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2740677)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Roush and HPD engines have to be attractive options for US based teams.

Are the Roush engines already in their range or new?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2740681)   #8
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And where do they say this?

L.P.
Roush said in their press release that they're evalutating the Mustang V8(be it the GA 5.0 Cammer or the new 5.0 Mustang road car V8-all are bascially derivitives of the Ford 4.6 Mod motor) for a new LMP2 engine (remember, the max for a NA engine in LMP2 is a 5 liter V8) and an LMP1 engine as well (I'm interested in what they'd use for that, or wait until the 2014 rules with a proposed unlimited engine capacity).
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2740689)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How good does that look.

http://americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|15069
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2740690)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Roush said in their press release that they're evalutating the Mustang V8(be it the GA 5.0 Cammer or the new 5.0 Mustang road car V8-all are bascially derivitives of the Ford 4.6 Mod motor) for a new LMP2 engine (remember, the max for a NA engine in LMP2 is a 5 liter V8) and an LMP1 engine as well (I'm interested in what they'd use for that, or wait until the 2014 rules with a proposed unlimited engine capacity).

Hmm, every release I have read says nothing about the Mustang V-8 being for 'P-2', only that it was being evaluated for LMP! At the moment LMP is the defacto P-1 in the ALMS, but I am not implying that it will be for P-1, only that it was not specific. And all of the releases I have seen only mention 2 engines specifically.

L.P.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2740693)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Hmm, in classis U.S. International colors.

L.P.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2740706)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, in classis U.S. International colors.

L.P.
From certain angles you almost don't notice the fin, it looks pretty nice.

I wonder how the sound of the hpd turbo will compare to the RY turbo Ford? I hope I get to find out next season!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2740707)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
In addition to the V6 EcoBoost Turbo, Roush Yates also is evaluating its Mustang V8 for LMP competition. Both the engine constructor and Lola are investigating the potential for LMP1 cars in the future, perhaps as early as next year.
I suppose you could interprete that one of three ways.

1. An ALMS only P1 Mustang V8 engine (unless the ACO also allow such engines).

2. A P1 3.4l engine from the same Mustang V8.

3. An entirely new ACO compliant P1 engine.

It sounds like the ALMS will be moving back to P1/P2 regs as I don't see 2011 P2's being helped to compete for overall wins due to it being a budget class.

Last edited by JAG; 6 Aug 2010 at 22:41.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2740715)   #14
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Ford does not have a 4 cylinder engine they can use for competition. They dropped the ball on Formula Ford and HPD/Honda jumped into that space, Ford reacted too late.

The Ecoboost V6 will be used and that a direct rival to HPD's Twin Turbo V6. The other option and I have mentioned this at least 10 times. The "Cammer" 5.0L currently used in GA. HOWEVER, the new "Hurricane" V8 in the 2011 Mustang GT is lighter than that engine and makes more power at 5.0L than the current GA engine.

As for an LMP1 engine, it will likely be based on a production engine.

Rules for production engines aren't known are they? Ford has modular V10's..
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2740717)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
As it stand there are currently no production engines for 2011 P1's.

Then again many expected P2 to be filled with GT2 like engines yet Roush and HPD have all new V6 twin turbos.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2740718)   #16
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
I suppose you could interprete that one of three ways.

1. An ALMS only P1 Mustang V8 engine (unless the ACO also allow such engines).

2. A P1 3.4l engine from the same Mustang V8.

3. An entirely new ACO compliant P1 engine.

It sounds like the ALMS will be moving back to P1/P2 regs as I don't see 2011 P2's being helped to compete for overall wins due to it being a budget class.
A) Ford will not build a bespoke engine, forget it, won't happen.

B) I believe production based LMP1 engines are bigger than 5.0L. I don't know the current displacement limit on the Hurricane engine. The Cammer is limited to about 5.5-5.6L, very thin walls.

C) 3.4L is the limit for a pure racing V8. I am almost positive they will allow up to 6.0L for a production N/A V8 engine. The Hurricane is already 6.2L I believe the V12 AMR engine is 6.0L. Hurricane is SOHC and Cast Iron block, but can be easily made into Aluminum.

Roush-Yates dyno'ed run 24/7, I much rather have a engine from a hard-core engine supplier like HPD or Ford.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2740721)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
If I had to nail this down I'd say the ALMS/Roush approached the ACO to allow production engines of 5l+ in P1 specifically to help the ALMS.

But who knows..........
Old 6 Aug 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2740726)   #18
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Last we saw, as I recall, was 5.0L homologated engines or 5.5L series production engines, but where it will end up......

L.P.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2740731)   #19
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I thought that the 2011 LMP1 engines were basically what LMP2 engines are, except the maximum cylinder limits were dropped to allow V10s and V12s, with a max of 2.0 turbo, 3.4 NA, 4.0 stock block NA, and 3.7 liter diesel.

LMP2 was intended to use stock block production engines of up to 3.2 turbocharged or 5.0 NA with an eight cylinder maximum.

But then again, this is the ACO, and they haven't even offcially published their 2011 regs yet(only the fourth draft of proposed regs has been made public), and who knows how IMSA will react to the ACO's rules, or the lack there of as now.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2740736)   #20
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the 2011 thread, ALMS is gonna be dead next year

Nice to hear the Roush name interested in ALMS involvement.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2740753)   #21
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Great without that ugly billboard engine cover.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 04:10 (Ref:2740762)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As stated already, the Rouch-Yates involvement is a positive for the series on many levels (just wish they were building a NA V8 for the Don....ah, memories).

As for the Lola; they have never made a bad looking car, IMO and in the classic USA livery?

...just got to get used to the fin.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2740787)   #23
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Great without that ugly billboard engine cover.
What are one of the main complaints about open wheel and sports cars? There no place to put sponsorship logos.

Now having said that, I think this was a reaction to Gene's wreck and this is the result. It won't hurt, its not the best thing to look at, but on F1 cars its grown on me.

Nobody has said it yet, so I will. This is an indictment on Indy Car's failed leadership. Not blaming Randy he just got here, but the ICONIC Panel need to have their heads dunked.

Last edited by dj4monie; 7 Aug 2010 at 06:02. Reason: Additional Comment
Old 7 Aug 2010, 06:46 (Ref:2740810)   #24
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I thought that the 2011 LMP1 engines were basically what LMP2 engines are, except the maximum cylinder limits were dropped to allow V10s and V12s, with a max of 2.0 turbo, 3.4 NA, 4.0 stock block NA, and 3.7 liter diesel.
The displacement for NA petrol engines is limited to 3.4. There is no such thing as a "4.0 stock block NA". See http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2011ACOVersion4.jpg
Old 7 Aug 2010, 06:54 (Ref:2740814)   #25
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Ford does not have a 4 cylinder engine they can use for competition. They dropped the ball on Formula Ford and HPD/Honda jumped into that space, Ford reacted too late.
How about the 2.0 turbo engine used in the Focus WRC?