Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 7 Oct 2003, 01:58 (Ref:742480)   #101
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I knew they were fiction, but with basis in his experiences. I will purchase from him directly, as I think it puts more money in his pockets. Seems a good enough cause to me :-).

BTW, your forum name is the nickname of my daughter, and she didn't earn it from being a Denny Hulme fan!
Old 8 Oct 2003, 07:33 (Ref:743703)   #102
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished reading "THRUST" by Richard Noble, the story of his battle to firstly break the land speed record and then break the sound barrier in a car.
An interesting read with some good photographs, with my favourite being the one of THRUSTSSC with shock waves coming from the nose area of the car - excellent pic.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 18:34 (Ref:744401)   #103
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sister-i-l Sue runs a second hand motor racing book shop just outside Hay on Wye, and I agree there is nothing like browsing to make you wish you had a lot more money!

The range is extensive, and well worth a look for any serious collector.

As we can't advertise on here, all I can say is that if anyone is interested I can forward e:addresses, (or phone for UK residents). She has just moved premises, so are not advertising at present, but callers by appointment can be accomadated once the stock is unpacked.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 23:07 (Ref:756429)   #104
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about "Step on it" By Stoker Ace. I remember Doug Nye recommending it, but I have never seen it...
Old 20 Oct 2003, 07:22 (Ref:756608)   #105
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by theracegypsy
My sister-i-l Sue runs a second hand motor racing book shop just outside Hay on Wye, and I agree there is nothing like browsing to make you wish you had a lot more money!

The range is extensive, and well worth a look for any serious collector.

As we can't advertise on here, all I can say is that if anyone is interested I can forward e:addresses, (or phone for UK residents). She has just moved premises, so are not advertising at present, but callers by appointment can be accomadated once the stock is unpacked.
Is there a catalogue available?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:45 (Ref:762024)   #106
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
Levy's other three books are fiction and relate Sports Car Racing's early days in the US (1950s).

<snip>

1."The Last Open Road", ISBN 0-9642107-0-3: We are introduced to "Buddy" Palumbo, a teen aged mechanic (MGs & Jaguars, highly sought after in the US in 1952) who may or may not be Levy's alter ego. Buddy has a job at a gas station which becomes a mecca for imported cars due to his skills. Various characters and their cars are introduced. "Buddy" goes to various venues as a mechanic and in general describes Sports Car racing as it was in those days.

2."Monezuma'a Ferrari", ISBN 0-94642107-1-1: "Buddy" accompanies one of the charcters to the "Carerra Panamerica" (Mexican Road Race) and in general grows up a little bit. More scenes of famous races and people.
I'm as far along as the flight down (early chapters). The first book was quite fun, and a bit sad, too. The chapter including the accident at Watkins Glen is particularly poignant considering the recent events.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Oct 2003, 18:15 (Ref:762118)   #107
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "Good Old Days"

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
The chapter including the accident at Watkins Glen is particularly poignant considering the recent events.
That was back when drivers were fat and tires were skinny or sex was safe and cars were dangerous.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 03:12 (Ref:771158)   #108
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This news, just in!

"Daytona 24 Hours" by JJ O'Malley is now available. It chronicles all the races starting with the '62 (300 mile) and ends with the '03 event. Janos Wimpffen has contributed the results from T&2S as well as the index. Hurley Haywood wrote the forward and most of the photos are from the Speedway's archives, not generally seen previously. I got my copy this w/e (US$89.95 + 6% tax) and the author autographed it along with Jack Baldwin, Hurley Haywood and Davey Jones. 400 pages, 11¼ x 9¼ inches.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 18:19 (Ref:772935)   #109
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just about all the good stuff I've read is here, Just a couple of additions "The Chequered Year" is a fantastic evocation of the 1970 GP season, and "Alf Francis, Racing Mechanic" reminds you just how different times were 50 years ago. The best book not mentioned (or I haven't noticed mentioned) is Rosemeyer, by Chris Nixon and Elly Rosemeyer - a startlingly moving story about two incredible people.

Will add persoanl agreement on recomending all of the BS Levy "Last Open Road" Trilogy (the best racing fiction I've read - but then that's not hard!), Donaldson's Villeneuve biography, and "Mon Ami Mate" by Chris Nixon.

Last edited by Marshal; 4 Nov 2003 at 18:20.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 19:31 (Ref:774129)   #110
csl
Rookie

csl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also enjoyed Donaldson's Villeneuve biography.

Read Mike Lawrence, "Colin Chapman, Wayward Genius" after that. The first 60 pages or so were not easy to get through. Writer put too much effort into righting some myths about Chapman's early years and proving he must be correct. It didn't read smoothly through that part. I'm guessing there isn't much to go on for this part of Chapman's life? Once past that, it reads quicker and becomes more informative and interesting.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 19:34 (Ref:774132)   #111
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For Chapman, get a hold of a copy of Colin Chapman - The Man and His Cars by Jabby Crombac. I bought it back in '86. I've read it several times but I don't know if its still available.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 16:46 (Ref:822636)   #112
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: This news, just in!

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
"Daytona 24 Hours" by JJ O'Malley is now available. It chronicles all the races starting with the '62 (300 mile) and ends with the '03 event.
Got it for Christmas, along with a signed copy of the Donaldson Villeneuve bio.

I got Gerald to sign a copy of his new Fangio bio for my father. I'll get to read it soon enough...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Jan 2004, 11:18 (Ref:828143)   #113
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marks and Spencer have a book "Ultimate History of Porsche", no I haven't read it , they did not have a copy in store, but I did pick up the video version. Some parts were a bit hardgoing due to the commentary, although this was more than made up for by the racing action and the lappery of the Nordschiefe. 90 mins for £8 (sale) worth a look.

Last edited by carrera; 5 Jan 2004 at 11:19.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:833799)   #114
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at the Autosport Show today and I picked up a book called - Bentley at Le Mans, Racing the worlds finest sports cars. It is basiclly a history of Bentley at Le Mans, mainly from a techinical point of view. I am yet to read it, but I have had a quick flick through it and it looks a good read. I would also like to add that my copy is signed by both the author and Guy Smith who was one of the drivers in the winning Bentley last year........
Old 11 Jan 2004, 08:33 (Ref:834107)   #115
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Both of those sound pretty good to me - especially the M&S Porsche stuff for £8.....
Old 20 Feb 2004, 08:30 (Ref:880159)   #116
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Just been looking at the Haynes web site, they have the following books - any good?

Porsche 956/962.
Porsche 917.
Jaguar at Le Mans, Every race car and driver, 1950 - 1995.

Any fellow readers have them?
Any good for a read or a reference books?

There published price are £30 each, but a quick look around got them down to £21 without looking hard.
Are they worth a purchase?
Old 20 Feb 2004, 16:33 (Ref:880594)   #117
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I haven't got any of those, but they sound pretty good. The Jag book in particular.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 00:54 (Ref:880990)   #118
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
If the Porsche books you're referring to are by Peter Morgan, then yes.

-Bill James
Old 23 Feb 2004, 08:29 (Ref:882515)   #119
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Yes both Porsche books are by Peter Morgan.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 08:39 (Ref:882520)   #120
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
And the Jaguar book is by Paul Parker, and I've found that for £17.50.
Just got to bribe the wife with flowers so I can get them!!!!!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 16:16 (Ref:891380)   #121
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Just been brought Perry McCarthy - Flat Out Flat Broke (and yes i have noticed the previous posts). Really nice book, communicates across so well, and with a brilliant touch of comedy (personally loving the story about him and Mark Blundell at LM one year, entertaining MRI guests, would have loved to have seen that).
Old 2 Mar 2004, 16:47 (Ref:891418)   #122
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
In the middle of reading that myself.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:21 (Ref:897069)   #123
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got Chasing the Title by Nigel Roebuck from the local library.
I know some people don't agree with Roebuck but it was his name that convinced me to take it out.

It's an excellent read stunning stuff.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 22:20 (Ref:907625)   #124
alesi95
Veteran

........and recently Inside the Mind of a Grand Prix Driver by Chrispoher Hilton. Also quite interesting.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 19:48 (Ref:920440)   #125
alesi95
Veteran

some olde books i got from my ex-girlfriends dad
Attached Thumbnails
mar23111.jpg