Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Dec 2007, 23:00 (Ref:2086860)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J. Gordon Wants Drivers To Be Themselves

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/20...e_daily23.html

Jeff Gordon, one of the highest-profile athletes in NASCAR, is pushing for drivers to feel free to be themselves.

In recent years, many drivers appear to have become less willing to show their feelings, less eager to wade into an issue and offer an opinion. A variety of factors, from increased media coverage to potential repercussions from fans, sponsors and even NASCAR, for actions can alter the way a driver behaves. Once someone has crossed a line or has found himself embroiled in controversy, something Penske Racing's Kurt Busch once did and has now tempered his remarks on all issues as a reaction, then he seems even less willing to repeat that.

Gordon is opposed to that trend. As a young driver, he tried to be all things to all people. These days, he's opened up more and allowed glimpses of his private life to spill into public view. He's also less strict in his comments and says that he sometimes criticizes his own interviews.

He's not trying to single out anyone or to encourage an outbreak of rowdy or out-of-control behavior and remarks. He's just trying to encourage a generation of drivers to feel a little more free to be themselves, to be more willing to speak up and show fans how diverse the people in this sport truly are.

Read on...................
Old 12 Dec 2007, 04:38 (Ref:2086997)   #2
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Sparky7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jeff is right but NASCAR might have something to say about that.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2087943)   #3
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is the beginnings of a new generation of drivers coming through - albeit lots of them are OW refugees. So now is a good time for the establishment to say to these guys - welcome to the show, pull up a chair, start talking and have fun.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2087948)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck, when Dale Jnr got 25 points taken off him for saying sh!t last season all I could do was laugh.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 14:33 (Ref:2087990)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but 25 points aint a heck of a lot to a top team is it in most circumstances. To relate it to my F1 days it would be like docking Raikkonen a single point for being caught nightclubbing too much. Slapped wrist and that's about it.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 13:27 (Ref:2089461)   #6
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good to see someone finally saying this. Most of the drivers anymore are pretty dull.

The sport has really lacked a "leader" since Dale Sr. passed away and no one has really stepped up to take his place and represent the opinions of the drivers. Maybe Jeff is ready to take this position?

J.D.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 13:58 (Ref:2089474)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Good luck, when Dale Jnr got 25 points taken off him for saying sh!t last season all I could do was laugh.
That's just silly really. Mark Webber used f**k in an interview in F1 and nothing happened. Then again, after the Superbowl incident ...
Old 16 Dec 2007, 00:11 (Ref:2089743)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but NASCAR is family entertainment.

F1 is sleep disorder treatment....
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:59 (Ref:2089999)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is some serious talent but media unfriendly faces in many places-
which is why they may want to curb the language in some drivers (section12.4.a.4323.543.g whatever-actiondetrimental to the sport of stockcar racing )
but
gordon is right- let it fly, stewart junior and the rest have all said or done something to get fined or punished, but the media and everyone like it
Paul tracy only got ridiculed for saying stupid crap like "applesauce" could we use a tracy/stewart character in more cars
i say yes. stock car racing is not getting a black eye from this driver colorful ness now or ever- it is recognized and pretty well enjoyed for BEING the racing it is and from where it came from-and frankly in spite of it.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 18:52 (Ref:2090033)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya should be good then - he doesn't mess about in interviews or for that matter on the pit/car... whats that monty?

"heeeelll no".
Old 16 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2090119)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
That's just silly really. Mark Webber used f**k in an interview in F1 and nothing happened. Then again, after the Superbowl incident ...
He used this in a Louise Goodman interview though, so it was understandable.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 18:00 (Ref:2091423)   #12
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Gordon on this one.

How many times did Jimmie Johnson thank all the Lowes employees in interviews, Greg Biffle conveniently have a swig of Coke in an interview, Jeff himself drinking Pepsi at right angles to the camera so we can all see what he is drinking....

There was also one interview with Kurt Busch which basically turned into a Miller Lite commercial for 5 minutes and a Carl Edwards interview raving about the joys of the Ford Taurus.

America is clearly very commercial - can't see the Crown Royal Crowning Moment taking on in F1. Driver interviews though should be commercial free with drivers able to say what they think. Aussie V8 Supercars did publicly say they would allow drivers to say what they wany earlier this year so if they can do it..........
Old 18 Dec 2007, 18:31 (Ref:2091437)   #13
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 43 cars in the field and another 6 or 8 trying to make the race. Most if not all have sponsors that have put out big bucks, $10 million to $20+ million and they all want something for their money. The drivers have an obligation to mention their sponsors when an opportunity arises. I think though that Jeff Gordon means that the drivers should let their personality come through more in the interviews, etc. I have seen a change in Gordon the last several years as he speaks out more than previously.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2091444)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes indeed. It's refreshing. But we still have Jimmie Johnson who drones on and on... just in case you're missing the Jeff of old I have a lot of respect for Jeff since Homestead. He gave a very open and interesting show in our hospitality and then, cheering him on for the first time ever in the race, I really gained an appreciation for his skills behind the wheel. Even if he didn't win!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 21:04 (Ref:2091526)   #15
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha a convert ;-)
Old 18 Dec 2007, 23:18 (Ref:2091647)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Yes indeed. It's refreshing. But we still have Jimmie Johnson who drones on and on... just in case you're missing the Jeff of old I have a lot of respect for Jeff since Homestead. He gave a very open and interesting show in our hospitality and then, cheering him on for the first time ever in the race, I really gained an appreciation for his skills behind the wheel. Even if he didn't win!
Shoot Craig, even my little granddaughter knows that Jeff is the best driver in Nascar. Its about time that you have recognized Gordon.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2091997)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's not so easy to admit when you've always thought of him as dull. Thankfully we now have Jimmie Johnson for that so it's more PC to admire JG when he has a good race...
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:41 (Ref:2092025)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I never found Jeff a problem I must be honest. Not a showman exactly, but a thoroughly nice and decent chap who clearly enjoys what he does and is usually pretty gracious win or lose.

I actually prefer him to people like Tony Stewart. I have little time for people who start wailing that it's all so unfair and blah, blah, blah. Highly embarrassing. But hey, he's "a character"!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:43 (Ref:2092026)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Strange when we have such opposing views that we both ended up with Pablo as our favourite driver innit The reasons you liked Jeffybaby are the very reasons I found him uninteresting. And the reasons you dislike Tony (although I can understand them!) are the reason that I've enjoyed watching him!!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 17:02 (Ref:2092043)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think in firness, I have only found Tony annoying this year. In the past I quite liked him, but that whingeing period he had early this season just did my head in big time. It was so OTT - I just can't abide drama queens! It's the same with Robby Gordon - again he is a good driver, but his *****ing can be off the scale!

And with Jeff Gordon, it does help I suppose that I think he's a hell of a racer as well and that Tradin' Paint event he did with JPM in 2003 was a boost to his image for me too. Both drivers that day were like kids in a candy shop, their enthusiasm for the other drivers car infectious!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 17:09 (Ref:2092051)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
This will stick in my mind as one of my memories of 2007! It was fantastic to see - even as someone who'd been cheering on Jr in that race
Old 20 Dec 2007, 03:42 (Ref:2092435)   #22
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
This will stick in my mind as one of my memories of 2007! It was fantastic to see - even as someone who'd been cheering on Jr in that race
Good video. I have been a Jeff Gordon fan for many a year. I also like Bobby Labonte. However, I am now as much a Jr fan as I am a fan of Jeff Gordon. Without question Jr is the most popular driver in the U.S. and probably the most popular guy of "ANY" athlete in the U.S. There is a good reason for this. He is pretty darn honest, speaks his mind, and has not let the popularity go to his head.

Last edited by muggle not; 20 Dec 2007 at 03:45.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 07:24 (Ref:2093181)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even though I have always followed NASCAR, this chase was the first I have watched live so take my opinion for what it's worth but I was rather disapointed in certain areas, especially driver interviews, press confrences or any interviews with drivers. it was always gordon and johnson in the chase but they are so dead boring to listen to. this was one of the areas i found disapointing with nascar and i know its not something that has always been the case. drivers definately need to be themseleves. you can see how tv ratings have dropped this chase when it was just jeff and jimmie battling it out dominating and not all that exciting.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2094744)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I doubt that was anything to do with driver interviews, more to do with Hendrick winning.

I've noticed in a lot of forums that discuss NASCAR that there seem to be a lot of disgruntled people who think Hendrick somehow cheat their way to wins. I suspect these are the type of people switching off.

Bums should be back on seats with Jr in a top car next season though.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 02:02 (Ref:2094878)   #25
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Top talent throughout the organization brought HMS the wins. I really don't know if it is good for nascar or not to have one organization so dominant. 2008 should be an interesting year. So, who do you think will win the Daytona 500.