Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 May 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3735662)   #2001
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Let us know how you get on, please Andrew.
This sort of thing is always useful for someone.
Old 24 May 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3735711)   #2002
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Complete success Christopher. It did take three calls to get through (don't bother trying around lunchtime, I remembered from the past that you won't get an answer!). Sorted in 5 minutes and the fellow told me that as they can print the cards in their own office now he would be sending it out personally to me on Friday......
Old 24 May 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3735713)   #2003
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
There you go
Old 24 May 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3735719)   #2004
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And thank you (I'll respond to your PM too.....)
Old 24 May 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3735749)   #2005
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, I've just remembered something else the chap at the ACO told me, which may be of relevance to anyone else whose membership is expiring at the end of May. He said he wasn't surprised I hadn't got my renewal forms through the post, as they only just started sending them out..... So if you need to renew, you'd better phone.....
Old 25 May 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3735816)   #2006
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Regarding ACO membership, do you feel you get any benefit/value from it, or is it just for tradition's sake?
Old 25 May 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3735845)   #2007
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, let me just say, it feels good to be a member, supporting the thing I love. You get discount on entrance, shop and acces to pre-ordering. During the race you have acces to the the members area wich I find quit relaxed. We have talked about this many times here, can't find it right now. You have to decide for your own, I feel pretty good being a member.
Old 25 May 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3735899)   #2008
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Been a member now for ages, the cost is included in with the four sets of camping and GE's together with delivery, without it we would not get access to the early booking and the discounts effectively cover the costs. So effectively we all pay what we would have without ACO membership and in the years of the classic we also get extra discounts on those tickets so are in profit. who ever wants to use the other benifits can borrow the card.
Old 25 May 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3735917)   #2009
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
By the way, I've just remembered something else the chap at the ACO told me, which may be of relevance to anyone else whose membership is expiring at the end of May. He said he wasn't surprised I hadn't got my renewal forms through the post, as they only just started sending them out..... So if you need to renew, you'd better phone.....
Yes indeed. Despite the email they sent in May for a July 31 expiry, I've had no postal reminder from them.
Old 25 May 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3735920)   #2010
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Regarding ACO membership, do you feel you get any benefit/value from it, or is it just for tradition's sake?
I agree with Simon. Plus the right to ACO grandstand seats if you're quick enough when booking starts and entry to the members' areas already mentioned, the showers and proper toilet facilities under the ACO stand and the restaurant serving decent food at reasonable prices.
Old 25 May 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3735924)   #2011
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i do not bother with grandstand seat at the main race but for the classic, seats in the ACO stand and access to the bar/food/loos/showers are essential, if you take the discounts and access you get into consideration then being a member of the ACO is well worth the outlay of 100 euro's
Old 25 May 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3735966)   #2012
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i do not bother with grandstand seat at the main race but for the classic, seats in the ACO stand and access to the bar/food/loos/showers are essential, if you take the discounts and access you get into consideration then being a member of the ACO is well worth the outlay of 100 euro's
Access to the main bar/food and the downstairs loos/showers in the Durand grandstand 17 are available to members during the 24 Hours, even without a grandstand seat
Old 25 May 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3735972)   #2013
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've been a member since 1997 and will continue to renew as long as I go. It obviously assists (normally) with the grandstand seats, then there is the Club Espace which can be a haven at busy times and the facilities in T17, but I also like the post-race pack. As Rene says, bizarrely it does feel good to be a member of the club that organises something I enjoy so much.....
Old 25 May 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3736033)   #2014
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
oh i forgot the bonus of a pack when you arrive which includes poster car sticker and programme and yes the extra facilities and places to relax are very welcome
Old 27 May 2017, 21:56 (Ref:3736510)   #2015
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Was looking for the new series on the 24 hour on amazon prime after seeing an advert for it, saw the trailer and it starts on the 9th of June, but saw they had the 24 hour war (ford v ferrari) on there, so watched that, boy was it good and certainly stirred the excitement for the coming weeks. If anyone has not seen that film yet do watch it
Old 28 May 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3736621)   #2016
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
The 24 hour war docu is good, but the book it's based on, Go Like Hell by A.J. Baime is much much better. Read it, you won't regret it.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3736645)   #2017
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It is a great book......
Old 29 May 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3737180)   #2018
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I watched the 24 Hour War last night - enjoyed it a lot. But must read the book again now. Today, I watched Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans. Enjoyed that very much too. Can't believe I never got round to watching it before! Again, I must re-read the book (A French Kiss with Death).
Old 29 May 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3737213)   #2019
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, both Stirling Moss and Mario Andretti were described as Le Mans Winners in the 24 Hours War. Of course, I assume they meant class winners.....
Old 29 May 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3737217)   #2020
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yes i picked that up, but as far as some American journalists are concerned Corvette has won several times in recent years so yes they are talking about class wins
Old 29 May 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3737229)   #2021
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
If we're talking about things to watch I've recently reacquainted myself with The Speed Merchants, which I still think is about the finest piece of film about sportscars imaginable - the footage of the first few laps at Le Mans is staggering.
Old 29 May 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3737231)   #2022
Kpy
Veteran

Neither Moss nor Andretti ever had a win at le Mans. Not a class win either, hardly surprising since they both only ever competed in the top category.
Moss finished second twice, in 1953 and 1958, his only finishes, and he and Fangio were leading when Mercedes withdrew during the race in 1955 after the terrible accident.
Andretti also managed a second in1995 and third in 1983.
Old 30 May 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3737298)   #2023
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Neither Moss nor Andretti ever had a win at le Mans. Not a class win either, hardly surprising since they both only ever competed in the top category.
Moss finished second twice, in 1953 and 1958, his only finishes, and he and Fangio were leading when Mercedes withdrew during the race in 1955 after the terrible accident.
Andretti also managed a second in1995 and third in 1983.
Mario's 2nd in '95 was a class win, as the winning car was the GT1 McLaren and he was in the first LMP/WSC car home.
Old 30 May 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3737304)   #2024
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
thanks for clearing that up victor
Old 30 May 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3737321)   #2025
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched the film about Chris Hoy preparing for and competing at Le Mans on the flight back from holiday at Easter and enjoyed it far more then I thought I would.

Sean