Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 May 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3734858)   #126
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The past two rounds were your local rounds, which ones did you attend, champ?
by that definition Newcastle is a local round for Sydney people. Looking forward to your support

But the good news, the crowds attended, much more than they attend the sydney tip
Old 21 May 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3734862)   #127
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Supercars has no "grand final" in the nature of for example football codes - the season champions are decided by accumulated points through the year, not by the result of a single event - as such, throwing snide rocks about not having the last race in a state capital is a crock.

Perhaps sight has been lost of the biggest domestic race inOz each year - held in a NSW regional centre.
Old 21 May 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3734867)   #128
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
by that definition Newcastle is a local round for Sydney people. Looking forward to your support

But the good news, the crowds attended, much more than they attend the sydney tip
Didn't answer the question. I'll ask again: you've had the past two rounds in your relative backyard, how many of those did you attend, as a died in the wool, flag waving Supercar fan boy?
Old 21 May 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3734896)   #129
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is fun but has little to do with the sale of 65% (maybe 100%??) of Supercar...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 May 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3734901)   #130
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As predicted, the pecky's white knight is here.

PS: the answer was zero. The cost of FoxSports probably stifling Peck's budget.
Old 21 May 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3734904)   #131
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As predicted, the pecky's white knight is here.

PS: the answer was zero. The cost of FoxSports probably stifling Peck's budget.
I am nobody's white knight.

Try reading every single post in here as a volunteer. When you read the same thing in a different thread for the gazillionth time, the humour departs rather rapidly...
Old 21 May 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3734905)   #132
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on guys let's not make it personal keep it civilised and that's everyone
Old 21 May 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3734909)   #133
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
I'm hearing you GTR and you do a thankless job, but you're his rescuer every time. Posts are deleted whenever the troll is under the pump. Perhaps it's a coincidence but it's a pretty common feeling, old mate is horribly protected.

PS Pecky, if you do get to read this, yep, I'll be at Newcastle. And Bathurst, and 4 other rounds. Unlike you, I can follow the series and maintain a sense of reality and balance to identify and discuss it's many shortcomings.
Old 21 May 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3734913)   #134
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's only personal when the baiting and trolling starts flooding your inbox
Old 21 May 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3734916)   #135
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
This is fun but has little to do with the sale of 65% (maybe 100%??) of Supercar...
The discussion about having the finale in Newcastle as opposed to Sydney came from discussing whether the series has dropped in value with regards to venues. That is surely quite relevant to the sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer
Supercars has no "grand final" in the nature of for example football codes - the season champions are decided by accumulated points through the year, not by the result of a single event - as such, throwing snide rocks about not having the last race in a state capital is a crock.
Hardly a crock, no one ever claimed ever claimed Supercars had a Grand Final in the nature of football codes, plenty of times the championship finale has been referred to as the "Grand Final" if it came down to the last round though. I event recall it being mentioned during one of the early media releases for the Newcastle event as it being referred to as a Grand Final.

Any insinuation that having the final up the coast from Sydney, rather than at it's doorstop, can be considered an improvement or better for the sport (or making it more valuable to buy) is ridiculous
Old 21 May 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3734930)   #136
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is been a very long time since there has been an awesome event in Sydney for Supercar racing... There hasn't been a team to root for since Lansvale... Meanwhile great races are held elsewhere... The problem is Sydney.

So Newcastle is a pretty solid idea, but the jury is out on what sort of long term success it will be a) from a pure fan/attendance perspective and b) from the regional marketing perspective.
Old 21 May 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3734941)   #137
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
It is been a very long time since there has been an awesome event in Sydney for Supercar racing... There hasn't been a team to root for since Lansvale... Meanwhile great races are held elsewhere... The problem is Sydney.

So Newcastle is a pretty solid idea, but the jury is out on what sort of long term success it will be a) from a pure fan/attendance perspective and b) from the regional marketing perspective.
As a newcaslte local I can tell you that we're a dedicated bunch. The fact the knights still draw one of the highest attendances in the nrl despite 2 consecutive wooden spoons and only winning 3 games over 2 seasons is a pretty good sign that we'll stick by it there's a big supporter base up here
Old 21 May 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3734945)   #138
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Or alternatively, Newcastle is the second lowest average home crowds for Australian A League teams. Only lower Aussie team is, you guessed it, the Central Coast Mariners down the road. But that's all apples and oranges.

Loyalty is one thing, poor value for money is still poor value for money no matter how loyal the locals are, and THAT is the battle for the Newcastle organisers.
Old 21 May 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3734962)   #139
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Or alternatively, Newcastle is the second lowest average home crowds for Australian A League teams. Only lower Aussie team is, you guessed it, the Central Coast Mariners down the road. But that's all apples and oranges.

Loyalty is one thing, poor value for money is still poor value for money no matter how loyal the locals are, and THAT is the battle for the Newcastle organisers.
that's because in terms of winter sports rugby is much stronger than football in terms of its history in the region it's really not a football area for the most part. I think the community day has proven theirs interest amongst the community
Old 21 May 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3735113)   #140
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
That's rugby league, not rugby, small but significant error

And for such a non-soccer region, you'd wonder why the boffins chose to put two teams in the area? You should make yourself available for consultation to the A League people.

I think you're placing far too much importance on one event. Similar things happened at Homebush including the season launch with almost every livery revealed. There were 20,000 people at that event*.

* - unproven/unsubstantiated
Old 21 May 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3735139)   #141
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Didn't answer the question. I'll ask again: you've had the past two rounds in your relative backyard, how many of those did you attend, as a died in the wool, flag waving Supercar fan boy?
Even though its off topic and playing the poster and not the topic (thus the reason posts get moderated) I will answer your question. Neither are my local rounds, so not sure why you expect me to go to them. At any point I am involved in local sport and that has to have priority. So no I did not go to PI or Winton

I will get to 3 rounds this year, including my local round, The other 2 will be interstate.

Getting to supercars rounds is getting difficult at this stage, my kids are no longer considered kids (U12, although Winton i believe is older) So almost full price is their cost (think you save $10.) I have been critical on this topic for many years and will continue to be even when they pay for themselves
Old 22 May 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3735215)   #142
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ticket prices seem to be a topic that escapes media attention unlike in AFL. Might be something for new owners to look at.
Old 22 May 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3735252)   #143
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
Ticket prices seem to be a topic that escapes media attention unlike in AFL. Might be something for new owners to look at.
it has only been an issue the last 2 years or so where the AFL ackowledged you couldn't take a family to the footy for less than a hundred bucks!
Old 22 May 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3735369)   #144
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
About 100 bucks for an adult at the recent Phillip Island round for the weekend.
50 bucks to take your car in.
30 bucks if you wanted a paddock pass.

No matter how you dress it up, it's not a cheap sport to take you family to see, even if you're happy to just watch it on TV.
Old 23 May 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3735375)   #145
Mixer
Veteran

I value a whole weekend's entertainment a fair bit higher than 3 hours of football though.
Old 23 May 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3735377)   #146
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I value a whole weekend's entertainment a fair bit higher than 3 hours of football though.
Agree, but its still expensive. Its not too bad for one person, but becomes a big stretch when you include the whole family. and therefore that excludes people. Would have cost me $300 to take my kids to PI for the weekend for tickets, plus travelling (and accommodation and food)

QLD race on Sunday will be $164 (for me and two secondary school kids), bring my own chair. 2 hours of racing. It will cost me $82 for the family to watch my favourita AFL team, Seats provided, out of the rain and the mud. 2 hours of game time
Old 23 May 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3735378)   #147
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
With that analogy Mixer it makes you wonder why Twenty-20 is so popular then compared to Test cricket (outside of the Ashes).

"Whole" weekend is an interesting view. There's a lot of downtime at a Supercar meeting, but I know your point. Of course, a ticket to the football often guarantees an undercover seat in a location close to public transport etc.
Old 23 May 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3735383)   #148
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
With that analogy Mixer it makes you wonder why Twenty-20 is so popular then compared to Test cricket (outside of the Ashes).
You actually have illustrated my point perfectly. 20/20 Big Bash rose to popularity because until this season an adult ticket was $15, kids ticket was $5, and you could get your kid a 3 game membership for $15, which meant they had a team to get attached to.

It was a fair bit more expensive this year, but still FAR cheaper than football, has amazing half-time entertainment, and you can take young kids to it who do not have the attention span for a full day at the car racing, or even a one-day cricket game, let alone tests.

My tickets to Boxing day were $75 - so Big Bash is measurably better value, AND you can get the kids into the sport.

Last edited by Mixer; 23 May 2017 at 01:19.
Old 23 May 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3735384)   #149
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supercars doesn't really lend itself to being accessable to the greater masses.

Minimal mainstream media coverage, restrictive and watered-down TV coverage, expensive ticket pricing...

With the likes of NRL, even if you can't watch the game on the TV, you can at least tune in on the wireless and listen to the call.

Triple M are apparently the 'official Supercar station', yet you barely get anything more than a mutter of the race results.

It would appear that by trying to break into the football code market, they've severed the limb that would have turned up to the track, or watched it on the TV.
Old 23 May 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3735418)   #150
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
All will be different if a News Ltd consortium becomes the new owner..