Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Apr 2004, 05:21 (Ref:936222)   #1
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an arogant .....!

Hands up who wants to give tony cochrane a few swift kicks to the head. Watching V8 superstars and all TC seems to do is personally attack anyone with an opinion that differs to him and needlessly slamming any category other than V8's. A sad little man who thinks he's bigger than Bernie E. but isn't worthy to lick his shoes.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 05:23 (Ref:936225)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would hope the 9 people that ring Paul Gover up share the same sentiments
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Apr 2004, 05:25 (Ref:936227)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont even bother watching V8 superstars anymore it bores me to tears
Old 11 Apr 2004, 05:35 (Ref:936232)   #4
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: What an arogant a$%ehole!

Quote:
Originally posted by rpolinski
Hands up who wants to give tony cochrane a few swift kicks to the head. Watching V8 superstars and all TC seems to do is personally attack anyone with an opinion that differs to him and needlessly slamming any category other than V8's. A sad little man who thinks he's bigger than Bernie E. but isn't worthy to lick his shoes.
Agreed completly, Cochrane ia a liability and dangerous man who will eventually destroy V8 touring cars in Australia. The moment V8's stop making this greedy little man a lot of money he will be gone without a second look
Old 11 Apr 2004, 07:28 (Ref:936269)   #5
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is interesting with all the talk of the next Bernie & the way that Bernie does it. The Frances at Nascar have taken Nascar past the total earnings of F1. The Nascar Tv Deal makes F1 look small and all of this without leaving the good old USA.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 08:19 (Ref:936290)   #6
hotgemini
Rookie

hotgemini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I flicked onto V8stupourstars while waiting for the football to start, caught Tony Cochrane taking sole credit for the upgrades to half a dozen circuits and the building of QR. This would be the same AVESCO that is unable to put any of its own money towards bathurst?
Old 11 Apr 2004, 09:58 (Ref:936348)   #7
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hotgemini
I flicked onto V8stupourstars while waiting for the football to start, caught Tony Cochrane taking sole credit for the upgrades to half a dozen circuits and the building of QR. This would be the same AVESCO that is unable to put any of its own money towards bathurst?
Totally agree, I live in Adelaide & also been to every Adelaide 500 & it's a great event but the Govt. & the people of SA were behind it & I'm sure TC is taking the glory for other peoples work.

If he's as good as he thinks then he should be able to pull 400,000 people to Bathurst if Adelaide can get 230,000.
What a pratt,,,, he must have build Queensland raceway singled handed..lol
Old 11 Apr 2004, 10:19 (Ref:936361)   #8
noodles
Rookie

noodles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How was TC's form when Paul Gover was referring to
1) the fact that many of the paying public (and some reps of the manufacturers) were not that impressed with the concept of a China round at the expense of local rounds, and
2) the fact that the winner of the V8 S/C series is awarded the title of Australian Touring Car Champion.

TC then proceeded to get on his high horse (and double his heart rate and BP) about how narrow it was to take the view that we should just keep it local, when we import the F1 cars, WRC, MotoGP, CART (he called CART a joke or basket case, can't quite remember exactly which), thus we should export our premier series.

Paul Gover then calmly pointed out that those series that TC mentioned are "world" championship series.

Game, Set& Match Mr Gover. Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 10:19 (Ref:936362)   #9
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well post it over on his forum where that comment belongs
Old 11 Apr 2004, 10:53 (Ref:936387)   #10
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
V8 Superstars is an embarrassment to our sport!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 10:58 (Ref:936394)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit I haven't watched too many Superstars shows in recent times, but I managed to park myself near a telly this afternoon. I think TC was able to talk too much, and that was annoying. There were some good giggles in there though. If it was just a big giggles show it would probably be pretty good value. I want to see Russell chased out of New Zealand by a guy wearing a rubber glove
Old 11 Apr 2004, 11:14 (Ref:936412)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by noodles
How was TC's form when Paul Gover was referring to
1) the fact that many of the paying public (and some reps of the manufacturers) were not that impressed with the concept of a China round at the expense of local rounds, and
2) the fact that the winner of the V8 S/C series is awarded the title of Australian Touring Car Champion.

TC then proceeded to get on his high horse (and double his heart rate and BP) about how narrow it was to take the view that we should just keep it local, when we import the F1 cars, WRC, MotoGP, CART (he called CART a joke or basket case, can't quite remember exactly which), thus we should export our premier series.

Paul Gover then calmly pointed out that those series that TC mentioned are "world" championship series.

Game, Set& Match Mr Gover. Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys.

He called soccer a "basket case" and ran down CART in a smilar vein of twisting the knife. Not nice really. Meanwhile, out in the crowds, where the "plebs" dwell, in the mud, the rain, the long queues for the toilet, food and in a car park jam, the humble race-going diehard stands, transfixed on the sport they love- you know, the ones Rusty was talking about, God bless him!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 11 Apr 2004, 11:22 (Ref:936423)   #13
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW!!!
I havent followed V8s for long but did TC do something realy bad before i started to take notice. I have always followed real racing car's, you know the ones that don't have a roof, but with the publicity and hype surrounding the V8 show, one finds ones self now watching the races on TV and reading forums like this, man i even went to the Clipsal 500. Let me tell you for those that havent been it was better than any Grand Prix or CHAMP Car race i've been to. People love V8 racing, but every time TC is mentioned the same people slam the **** out of him. SO please tell me what was the thing he did to upset you all? The catagory looks in fine shape to me, and getting better.
As for V8 superstars take it for what it is, it's entertainment, a bit of a laugh, a bit of fun.
Lighten up. Happy Easter.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 11:58 (Ref:936438)   #14
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panzer, its like this, TC is a tall poppy so everyone has to knock him down. Before everyone knocks TC just look at the facts, the SA govt were going to invest all that money in a motor race around the streets even if it was only for Formula Vee, the Queensland Govt invested in Qld raceway because of the V8's and had a deal to run the Qld 500, when the Qld govt would not sign a second agreement for the 500 Qld raceway lost it back to Sandown. Yes, he makes some decisions that people do not like but if it was not for TC we may be all watching 2ltr racing and looking at how the BTCC is going I know what I would rather watch
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:10 (Ref:936443)   #15
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have three letters for Cochrane....DTM...
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:12 (Ref:936445)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually the BTCC is on the up in 2004, and the racing is far more exciting the what the Avesco circus dribbles out each round.
The problem with TC, is not a tall poppy thing at all, he's not at the top of anything except in his mind and thats where the problem lies. Did you Panzer and V8man see 'Supermediocres' this afternoon. Paul was giving genuine feedback from ordinary people, and what did TC do, he showed him complete disrespect and tried to make him look like a fool, well TC your the one who looked like a fool. They way he bags anything non V8 is an absolute disgrace, he will do is absolute best to cut down anything and everything. as said above he's had a dig at CART, 2L Soccer Australia, hows that related, he's even had a go at Procar.
Come on is that was V8's need, let alone Motorsport
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:25 (Ref:936452)   #17
TerryK
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.
Actually the BTCC is on the up in 2004, and the racing is far more exciting the what the Avesco circus dribbles out each round.
The problem with TC, is not a tall poppy thing at all, he's not at the top of anything except in his mind and thats where the problem lies. Did you Panzer and V8man see 'Supermediocres' this afternoon. Paul was giving genuine feedback from ordinary people, and what did TC do, he showed him complete disrespect and tried to make him look like a fool, well TC your the one who looked like a fool. They way he bags anything non V8 is an absolute disgrace, he will do is absolute best to cut down anything and everything. as said above he's had a dig at CART, 2L Soccer Australia, hows that related, he's even had a go at Procar.
Come on is that was V8's need, let alone Motorsport
The only thing that matters to TC is money, he does not give a toss about the racing for all he cares they could be racing prams as long as the public come & pay the money.
TC is a business man not a racing fan, when the ratings start to drop off & the gate takings are reduced he will find something else to promote.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:35 (Ref:936459)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matthew Ronke, Panzer, and v8man: I am 100% with you.

Goddammit the jealousy expressed towards Tony Cochrane, and indeed AVESCO, from people who are alleged V8 Supercar fans infuriates me to the point of exploding.

Why is it that Australasians have to kick someone, some team, or something that is successful?

Champion the guy, champion the series he has evolved - and yes, I am happy to admit that it is evolution, export it to the world and show them what we have.

It could well be the global equivalent of NASCAR. To do that, it will have to go global as the USA has a huge population compared to Australia.

Get over the fact that as the Konica Minolta Series expands there could well be room for a third series to replace where Konica is at today.

Here's how it works:

Currently:

V8 Supercars sponsored by BigPond and VB - Winner is awarded the Australian Touring Car Championship

Konica Minolta Series - Winner gets Series Championship awarded and usually ends up moving to a permanent drive

Add some more TC vision and magic....

The way of the future:

V8 Supercars sponsored by BigPond and VB: Contested internationally - Winner gets awarded the World Series V8 Supercar Championship or similar

Konica Minolta Series: Takes over the mantle of the ATCC and is expanded across Australia accordingly - Winner is awarded the Australian Touring Car Championship and usually gets to move up a level

New Development Series: Takes over the role of the Konica Minolta Series that we know today.

Its pretty straightforward really. Some would say it is a bit fanciful, but they are exactly that same people who have been saying for at least the last five years that TC won't see out the year in his role.

The fact is that he has more vision than most people on this forum combined!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:40 (Ref:936462)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TerryK: Would a businessman not be interested in seeing those ratings grow? Look how they have thus far! Look at the support categories he has bolstered.

Aimed at no one in particular: If only everyone could stop looking past their noses and see the value that he has created, the profile our sport has gained, the professionalism that it now bestows, but most importantly, the way other sports have shrunk while ours has improved vastly, then maybe we would all stand back and smile, instead of acting like 2 year olds with sand in our eyes!
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:52 (Ref:936469)   #20
TerryK
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
TerryK: Would a businessman not be interested in seeing those ratings grow? Look how they have thus far! Look at the support categories he has bolstered.

Aimed at no one in particular: If only everyone could stop looking past their noses and see the value that he has created, the profile our sport has gained, the professionalism that it now bestows, but most importantly, the way other sports have shrunk while ours has improved vastly, then maybe we would all stand back and smile, instead of acting like 2 year olds with sand in our eyes!
Sure he has built up the V8's but at the expense of other classes.
He does not put money back into motorsport, Paul was on the money today with comments about the Tassie race.
Look at Ross Palmer he is also a businessman but he loves motor racing & promotes several classes of racing & also puts his hand is his pocket to help the sport.

I followed motor racing for years & while TC's flair has taken the V8's to new heights there are several holes to plug before the boat sinks.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 13:01 (Ref:936473)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

I can't comment on that TerryK. My youth and lack of a direct feed of Aussie TV here in NZ makes commenting to that an unfair stab in the dark.

All I can say is you believe what you believe, and I will believe what I know to be truly great show.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 13:07 (Ref:936475)   #22
White Knight

Terry K says:

Quote:
Look at Ross Palmer he is also a businessman but he loves motor racing & promotes several classes of racing & also puts his hand is his pocket to help the sport.
Yeah but he has Category Managership to several categories whereas TC has just the one . . . and what a great job he is doing with it.

What you haven't grasp is that the "other" categories are suffering because of CAMS not the category managers.

Old 11 Apr 2004, 13:09 (Ref:936478)   #23
Just Do It!
Veteran

Here, here White Knight. The only trouble is that very few will hear, hear
Old 11 Apr 2004, 13:15 (Ref:936482)   #24
TerryK
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
I can't comment on that TerryK. My youth and lack of a direct feed of Aussie TV here in NZ makes commenting to that an unfair stab in the dark.

All I can say is you believe what you believe, and I will believe what I know to be truly great show.
Just Do It, how is the health of Motor Racing in NZ ? We have quite a few NZ drivers over here (most very good) do the good guys go to Aust. to carry on racing or move up the ladder?
Are the club races holding their own ?

Do you guys get the feed from TEN ? Races/ superstars etc ?
If you don't get Superstars then it would be hard to know what we're on about, if you saw the program you might understand what was going on.
This is not the tall poppy thingie at all, unless we keep the new drivers coming through in the lower classes there won't be many drivers left for our kids to watch let alone tracks....
Old 11 Apr 2004, 13:24 (Ref:936486)   #25
TerryK
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by White Knight
Terry K says:

Yeah but he has Category Managership to several categories whereas TC has just the one . . . and what a great job he is doing with it.

What you haven't grasp is that the "other" categories are suffering because of CAMS not the category managers.
I don't disagree that CAMS has lost the plot, but with TC steering the ship it might run aground one day.

I just think TC should listen to the fans for once, he might say he giving the fans what they want but I don't think so somehow only is his dreams..!!!!!!!!!