Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3783256)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
New F1 Logo

We have had the speculation about it and now here it is

The full corporate edition....

Click image for larger version

Name:	formula-1-new-logo.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	50766

And how its currently being used by Formula1.com on their twitter feed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New logo usage.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	50767
This may of course vary if there is to be a new set of associated graphics etc.

So what do we really think now that's it is official... simple and effective or cheap and nasty?
Old 26 Nov 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3783261)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i like it a lot. it's simple, straightforward, fits in with a lot of massive company branding and is easy to use. the previous one was very hard to integrate into modern graphics and fonts (even from when it was new), and didn't really fit the identity of the series. ultimately it doesn't affect the racing, but it affects the branding and the way the series can be promoted.

the fandom outrage has been quite amusing and almost all focussed on "I DON'T LIKE CHANGE". i get the shortcomings from a design perspective but nobody seems to have any better ideas... or they're not willing to share them lest their work be stolen.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3783265)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed. Has a simple and clean look. Sort of retro even. I like it more then the current one to be honest.

But is it a little too 'Force Indiaish'?
Old 26 Nov 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3783270)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Amazing. F1 is now fixed.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3783272)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The horizontal bars of the F are too long, therefore the logo is too wide.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 21:18 (Ref:3783275)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks like a fake clip art version of the ESPN logo, made in Word Art '97.

I don't like it but I'm not overly fussed, there's not many series with nice logos at the moment. LM24 one is quite nice, I like negative space use.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 21:31 (Ref:3783276)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It looks like a fake clip art version of the ESPN logo, made in Word Art '97.
Perhaps a conscience decision to align the logo, and ultimately the sport, with ESPN and ultimately it's streaming platform.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3783278)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
i don't think anyone is suggesting anything like that...
Old 26 Nov 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3783282)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Considering I'm precisely as old as the previous F1 logo and I've been following the sport since my memory began, it's probably not a good thing that it took me best part of 20 years to have my "oooooooooooh - there's an invisibe '1' in the middle!" moment.

Although perhaps that says more about me than the F1 logo...

Either way, considering these things usually take some getting used to, the fact I instantly recognise it as Formula-Oney must be a good thing.

In truth, they can change the logo all they like, I'll never forgive them for replacing this before the start of each Grand Prix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiBkydMW8k
Old 26 Nov 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3783285)   #10
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares, honestly. It still just says "F1."
Old 26 Nov 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3783287)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Agreed. Has a simple and clean look. Sort of retro even. I like it more then the current one to be honest.

But is it a little too 'Force Indiaish'?
Any Force India connotations are rendered obsolete when they change name. Overall, seems like a good design. Simple enough to work across many platforms, translates to monochrome well, and gives the impression of a 'racing line' through a curve.
If a new logo was needed to signify a change in regime, then this seems to fit the bill nicely.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3783291)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It reminds more the door windows of a sportscar like a Lamborghini Countach or a DeLorean, or a part of a street track...
Old 26 Nov 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3783308)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Looks like 2 dachshunds trying to get through a cat door.
I wonder how many squillions they paid for that?.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 23:42 (Ref:3783314)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For me it's indistinct. It looks like a logo for a company that has the initials rrI or FrI where the F is made using the lesser "r"

If it's clearly be a number 1 then it should have the flick at he top as a minimum even if a "base" isn't in keeping with the overall design

I'm sure that we will all get used to it, but for the "pinnacle of motorsport" to have a logo that's not sharp clear and instantly recognisable as being F1 is inexcusable.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3783316)   #15
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Apparently, the Australian GP Corporation now needs to find an extra few hundred thousand dollars to re-do most of their 2018 'F1' branded signage, etc. for the next race!

Communication people, communication.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 00:58 (Ref:3783324)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like a very generic logo that seemingly was made by an intern with a "free" copy of photoshop. It looks so bland and not at all distinctive or indicative of the F1 brand...

Leave it to them to fix things that aren't broken while leaving the broken things unattended to, or even making them worse.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 00:59 (Ref:3783325)   #17
insane014
Rookie

insane014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bend into a barrier! Nice! Very symbolic of how F1 has hit the wall these days.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3783426)   #18
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess they had nothing better to do...
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3783445)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now this was a great logo

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...25_mLeF0gAb0aZ
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3783453)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't think anyone is suggesting anything like that...
Really? They did make quite a big deal about it on the podium at Abu Dahbi race and was the centerpiece for the 2018 introduction. So I can somewhat agree with the comment about “F1 is fixed”. I rolled my eyes during the podium video.

What I think has happened is they they have been caught up in the excitement of their own rebranding exercise. I have seen this from the inside. The marketing team spends hours obsessing over color palettes, logo designs and other choices. The importance becomes inflated due to the time spent designing and selecting. Also marketing teams only get the chance to rebrand infrequently so that also adds to the excitement. Then when you settle on the new content you want to share it immediately. Problem is... While I am sure the marketing folks are excited, at the end of the day it’s just a logo. IMHO they overplayed it’s importance by how they announced it on the podium.

As to the new logo itself? It’s fine.

Richard
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3783454)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's fine seen here in print.

For whatever reason, it doesn't look good televised. I had to stare at it to make out the f and the 1 on the screen. It just looked like a couple of blocks.

If the old one had of been new, it would make a good new logo. If you catch my drift.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3783461)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's symptomatic of the new regime at FOM.

When Mr E ran the show, it was him and a couple of underlings who mainly worked out of his London townhouse home.

Now, FOM has moved into plush offices in Central London, has 4 top dogs and staff aplenty, all doing the job of one man and his dog.

Formula 1, welcome to the glitzy world of international commerce.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3783478)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think a lot of people would enjoy the sport a bit more if they weren't so pessimistic and didn't immediately revert to criticism all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Really? They did make quite a big deal about it on the podium at Abu Dahbi race and was the centerpiece for the 2018 introduction. So I can somewhat agree with the comment about “F1 is fixed”. I rolled my eyes during the podium video.

What I think has happened is they they have been caught up in the excitement of their own rebranding exercise. I have seen this from the inside. The marketing team spends hours obsessing over color palettes, logo designs and other choices. The importance becomes inflated due to the time spent designing and selecting. Also marketing teams only get the chance to rebrand infrequently so that also adds to the excitement. Then when you settle on the new content you want to share it immediately. Problem is... While I am sure the marketing folks are excited, at the end of the day it’s just a logo. IMHO they overplayed it’s importance by how they announced it on the podium.
they said they would, so they did. it's an entire rebranding exercise, not just a new logo. the new logo is a symptom of the rebranding, not the centre of it. it kind of did deserve a big fanfare because like the marketing video says, it's a new era. both in promotional guff sense and real life.

they're finally acting like it's a big sports event worth billions of pounds a season. the big important stuff gets a massive fanfare - see the top 3 from quali and the race lining up in front of the grandstand in front of the fans instead of the teams for example. immediate interviews and reaction shared with the *fans*, not just the media.

it's change. f1 had been stuck in the 80s in marketing terms under bernie. he failed to capitalise on the success of the formula and chose to just draw money straight out from hosting and tv fees. these guys are going to modernise it and finally make the most of it all.

f1 is - and has been for decades - too big for its humble british understatement. companies putting money into it don't *want* understatement... if they wanted that they'd get involved with something a bit more grass roots. you know, like the heineken formula ford festival or something
Old 27 Nov 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3783511)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've no issue with the concept of rebranding, to emphasise a new era and sweeping away the vestiges of Bernie.

This issue I have as I pointed out earlier, in my opinion the logo isn't the pinnacle of graphic design for the "pinnacle of motorsport". To me it's indistinct the actual characters F and 1 do not jump out of it.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3783512)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post