Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:21 (Ref:843926)   #1
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Association of British Drivers (ABD)

I've been a member of the ABD for a couple of years as I am fed-up with the way that British Motorists are abused by the police and authorities. Last weekend I attended the annual meeting at the British Motor Heritage Museum in Gaydon for the first time and it was quite an eye-opener.

If you think that the membership comprises of hardened speed-hogs, boy-racers and 'yoofs' with 'Max Power' tattoed on their foreheads, then think again.

I am 35 and I think I was the youngest there. The people present represented a wide cross-section of ages, occupations, and judging from the car-park, motoring interests. There was no hysteria, in fact with my own personal views of the muppets that pass for traffic police I think I may have been one of the most extreme viewpoints present. There were no radical suggestions, no burning of gatso's, no encouragement for reckless driving etc.

What took place was measured, informed and rational discussion on the way the 'safety' issue is being abused by authorities and camera partnerships to extract the maximum of revenue in complete contradiction of their mandates as well as other safety and driving related issues.

I will stress, the ABD are not against gatso's per se, just those positioned to maximise revenue not safety.

I could go on, but their web-site is perhaps more self-explanatory. Those of us who count ourselves as driving enthusiasts might do well to give it a look.

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 20 Jan 2004 at 12:22.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:843964)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
www.abd.org.uk

I'm not a member (yet) but it is heartening that the truth about the ABD's stance on UK motoring matters is finally beginning to seep out. Their publicity in the early days was a little sensationalist and I think put many people off (and contributed to the 'image' Neil describes).

In the main, I don't happen to agree that most traffic police are "muppets". Inevitably there are a few egotistical idiots, and their attitude when dealing with errant drivers occasionally could be better, but I tend to believe the majority are doing a very difficult job with the right motives. It's the Government that is to blame for making that job all the more difficult.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:17 (Ref:844005)   #3
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
As I said, it's a personal opinion, mainly due to the overbearing attitude of the *person* who took it upon himself to lecture me after stopping me on a deserted M8 at 05:00 about, including other things the cirdadian rhythm and sleep patterns of most human beings and how we aren't fully awake, ergo aware of our suroundings at that time in the morning (Honestly!!!). I know that most traffic police are just trying to do a difficult job and are between a rock and a hard place, but.....
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:39 (Ref:844030)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never realised cirdadian rhythms were part of standard traffic training!
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:11 (Ref:844134)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
By the way, isn't Gaydon fantastic?
Old 20 Jan 2004, 19:10 (Ref:844411)   #6
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
By the way, isn't Gaydon fantastic?
I've been there before when it was still owned by Rover, Austin Rover, whatever..... We didn't have time to look around, the meeting ran from 10:30 until 17:30ish. However, we might have had time if we hadn't been interrupted by a fire alarm going off! Fortunately it was a false alarm, but as the 2 fire engines arrived I must confess that I had visions of the National Motorcycle Museum in my head......

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 20 Jan 2004 at 19:10.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 19:14 (Ref:844419)   #7
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
As I said, it's a personal opinion, mainly due to the overbearing attitude of the *person* who took it upon himself to lecture me after stopping me on a deserted M8 at 05:00 about, including other things the circadian rhythm and sleep patterns of most human beings and how we aren't fully awake, ergo aware of our suroundings at that time in the morning (Honestly!!!). I know that most traffic police are just trying to do a difficult job and are between a rock and a hard place, but.....
Oh, yes and there was the one copper about 15 months ago who was doing 45 in a 60. When I overtook him he chased after me and upon asking why I had (perfectly legally) overtaken him gave me the opportunity to reply with what was my signature line for quite a while:

"Raced past you? Officer I could have jogged past you...".

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 20 Jan 2004 at 19:16.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 19:38 (Ref:844445)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Often wondered what the story behind that sig was...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 20:47 (Ref:844522)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I live on a road which has a school at the bottom of a straight decent, a 30 limit. Another road runs parrallel to my road with an industrial estate on one side and woodland on the other. This road is signed as a main route, so gets more traffic, guess which road the Revenue Camera is on....
I would have no objection to a camera close to the school but no, they chose to put it where they think the money will come in in bucketloads!
There was a radio ad I heard a while back in which a very sincere voice explained that 'Cameras are only installed in accident blackspots' I only heard it once, I think someone alerted the Advertising Stanards Authority!!
I think I'll be joining the ABD soon...

Last edited by Bluebottle; 20 Jan 2004 at 20:49.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 20:46 (Ref:845861)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
the cirdadian rhythm and sleep patterns of most human beings and how we aren't fully awake, ergo aware of our suroundings at that time in the morning (Honestly!!!). I know that most traffic police are just trying to do a difficult job and are between a rock and a hard place, but.....
Clearly, a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing since these 'rhythms' vary from person to person. How would he know which applied to you? Put simply some people are 'morning' people and others 'afternoon' people. Anyone working in a busy office environment will have recognised this issue. Being a 'morning' person (apparently, in the minority) I used to get annoyed when office meetings were scheduled for 4.00pm. You will have gathered that I consider that I am much more aware of my surroundings whilst driving at 5.00am than at 5.00pm.