Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Mar 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2838234)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
Well this is just what NZ motorsport needs right now(NOT).
the cars look great and is needed for the future but surely it needs to be done with the all factions working together.we have small f/ford.gt3 porsche and production/mini fields this year trying to support nz V8, with utes and suzuki numbers only acceptable.
I remember the Abbott inspired TV winter series for fords and tranzam lites many years ago.ZERO crowds and TV only which eventually died as drivers realised they couldnt just put TV coverage to sponsors and guarantee backing.(i ran a number of cars back then).
Crowds this year at Tier 1 have been very average to say the least and i dont believe the quality of racing is to blame,and now we can dilute the scene even more by splitting the NZV8 ranks--i dont think 13 or 14 of the current cars is going to cut it next season.Porsche looks like its all over for the time being and formula ford is hanging by its finger tips.
having seen a lot of tier 2 and below events this season its not all rosy there either numbers wise!!.
So maybe we can look forward to 12 or 13 oversize club meetings covering a 12 month period.
From all accounts there seems to have been a major convergence of EGO's with the whole new car project which isnt resolved and probably wont be.
I'm sure if it was back in 2007, it would be fine, but I think the economy is a drag and will be for a long time to come. I think the ChCh earthquake is going to have long running ramifications that will reverberate through the economy. I'd guess that a large chunk of Tier 1 runners are funding their racing efforts off the back of their business or business associates rather than outright commercial sponsorship and when times are tougher, non essential things like motorsport are going to get the whack.

I think big EGO's are one of those things in motorsport that has gotten old for me, lots of people that have to have control and fight over stuff fans couldn't care about. While I think the new car is the way to go, I do wonder whether people can either afford it now or want to afford it or if they are willing to pare off into an unknown setting outside of the normal summer championships. Potentially you could have some car owners content to run the old dogs for eternity and some content with the new series. So you end up with 12 here and 12 there and everyone is nowhere.

I do however feel national FIA organizations have no business promoting motor racing championships. I see their role as benevolent overseers focused on safety and licensing and other minutiae. I see them as a non profit entity focused on assisting all those involved in the sport, not putting their credibility at stake taking sides in commercial racing championships and tracks.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 04:33 (Ref:2838267)   #52
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'
I do however feel national FIA organizations have no business promoting motor racing championships. I see their role as benevolent overseers focused on safety and licensing and other minutiae. I see them as a non profit entity focused on assisting all those involved in the sport, not putting their credibility at stake taking sides in commercial racing championships and tracks.
Gee mountainstar you have hit the nail right on the head!

One of the problems with the TMC run Tier 1 series is the cost it imparts on the remaining 95%+ of MSNZ competitors who end up paying for MSNZ's involvement in effectively promoting commercial motorsport. MSNZ have a majority (60%) interest in TMC but the deal is that MSNZ can not get any profit share or dividend in return for it's investment. Tier 1 is struggling with around 100 entrants per meeting. It is probably loosing money and at the end of the day MSNZ members will no doubt carry the can. MSNZ grants TMC around $90,000 pa plus other non cash benefits. As a result of all of this entrants end up paying more than they should - licence fees, permit fees etc etc. A normal club meeting will pay MSNZ about $5000 for permit fees and levies for each event and the entrants end up paying for this with their entry fees. Does the meeting get $5000 of value from MSNZ? Why is a MSNZ competition licence $135 per year when the NZ VCC can issue a FIA competition licence for $23 for five years? Does MSNZ need to "tax" entrants to help support it's commercial venture?
Is it reasonable that such a small component of motorsport (Tier 1) gets so much input from MSNZ in order to support a commercial exposure? Is there a message when Tier 1 get such small grids and the likes of the Chris Amon Festival gets four times the number of entrants and probably much bigger crowds and essentially get no help from MSNZ?
Mountainstar is dead right, the likes of MSNZ should stick to what the are meant to do and leave the commerciality to others. They can sell the rights to championship events but don't expose members to financial risk by trying to be an series or championship promoter.
If the Supertourer guys can package up a more attractive deal that attracts the top teams, drivers and sponsors then they will attract the crowds - that's how the market works. The crowds are ambivalent as to whether MSNZ has an investment in Tier 1 through TMC - they just want to see good racing with full grids.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 03:27 (Ref:2839970)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Murf to join in on-track
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Mar 2011, 04:20 (Ref:2839977)   #54
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The full unedited release that appeared in my inbox:

Quote:

4 March 2011

V8SuperTourers confirm Hampton Downs and Greg Murphy for 2012’s opening round
New Zealand motorsport fans have their first chance to see the all-new V8SuperTourers in action at the country’s newest circuit, Hampton Downs, over the weekend of 17 to 19 February next year.

The opening V8SuperTourers’ round is also set to feature Kiwi race star Greg Murphy as a driver and/or team owner.

From his Melbourne base, Murphy says: “I’ve been lucky to have some great success in New Zealand and I love racing at home. The overall level of competition and quality of racing in New Zealand has always been high, but V8Supertourers has caught my attention because they are real race cars and the package gets my heart beating pretty fast. This is something that I have to be a part of – either as a driver or a team owner!”

Sixteen of the new V8SuperTourers are scheduled to line up on the starting grid for the opening round at Hampton Downs. A new race format is in development for the new series with round one comprising practice, qualifying and sprint races. The V8SuperTourers will race on the current 2.8km track and are expected to reach speeds in excess of 260km/h on the unique 1km-long front straight leading across the finish line.

Tony Roberts, managing director of Hampton Downs Motorsport Park, is delighted that that the first-ever ground-breaking V8SuperTourers event will be held at Hampton Downs.

“The Hampton Downs team is very excited about hosting the first round of the V8SuperTourers at our new facility, and it’s also been confirmed that we’ll host rounds four and six. This is a demanding circuit with rise and fall, tough braking and blind corners, but the new V8SuperTourers will certainly be man enough for the job,” says Roberts.

With facilities at Hampton Downs continually being completed and upgraded – like the recently-completed pit garage facility – the V8SuperTourer teams can take advantage of working from the most modern racetrack facilities on offer in New Zealand.

Murphy, in his role as a V8SuperTourers ambassador, believes that fans and sponsors will flock to the first event with the prospect of witnessing the best touring car drivers and teams in the country battling for the first-ever race and round win at Hampton Downs.

“It’s going to be a history-making weekend at Hampton Downs and it’s the perfect place to have the inaugural V8SuperTourers event. They have put in a massive effort over the last couple of years to build this amazing facility and I reckon it will produce superb racing!” says Murphy.

Other than the regular New Zealand V8Supercar events in which Murphy has enjoyed great success, the Kiwi hero hasn’t been involved in a local motor racing series since winning the Grand Prix and Gold Star Championship for single seaters in 1993.

The seven-round V8SuperTourer series visits Hampton Downs for three rounds in 2012, namely: round one from 17 to 19 February, round four from 18 to 20 May and round six from 21 to 23 September.

Additional information regarding the race formats and the other four rounds will be released in the coming weeks.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 05:47 (Ref:2839983)   #55
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to hear that Murph will be a significant part of the V8 Supertourers.... I wonder how that will effect any iV8SC racing he does in 2012 though?
Old 4 Mar 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2840266)   #56
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To Clarify, all of our five round dates so far released, are provisional, pending the confirmation of the IV8's 2012 calendar.

Our stated policy, is that no round of the new 7 round V8SUPERTOURER SERIES, will clash with any IV8's.

We have assured Murph, and two other regular IV8 drivers, that have recently made contact with us, of this policy, and that they may rely on that.

The circuits that we have already contracted to run 5 of the provisional dates are also fully aware of any potential clash, and have agreed to accommodate any date change that may become necessary when the IV8 2012 calendar is published later this year, with the exception of only iconic dates.

Mark Petch
CEO, V8 SUPERTOURERS LTD.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2840469)   #57
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
People have a choice in life, we wish the situation was not as it is, but it is what it is
why, because it has been decided by an elite few that " it's my way or the highway", and thus forced the change, instead of the original idea to run a common crate engine in the current shell........as mentioned above

Quote:
We have made a choice, and offered the same choice to all the current NZV8 teams at no cost other than the cost of the new car,
people have a choice........either the are forced to buy a completely new car, and any spares can only be puchased through the car supplier because (i suspect) very few parts are off a production unit. if suppliers for the existing v8 class weren't sanctioned as they are, the cars would be cheaper to build, and the class more sustainable.

Quote:
We believe the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate, will it ever be the same again?

We dont think so.
because we, the elite few, have already started to drive nails into the coffin, and will continue to do so until our egos are massaged accordingly??.
there is already too many classes in this country, so instead of merging cars into an existing class and boosting numbers, every season a new class starts........... no f#$%in wonder the summer series is unsustainable.

too many fields/classes spread over too many events, competing for both the spectator sponsor and entrant dollar, during tight financial times does not spell a recipe for success.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2840503)   #58
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
why, because it has been decided by an elite few that " it's my way or the highway", and thus forced the change, instead of the original idea to run a common crate engine in the current shell........as mentioned above.
Come on, the current cars are old, different motor combinations have been tried and have not ended up with the result. No point running a common engine if the chassis is or may not be the problem.

Quote:
people have a choice........either the are forced to buy a completely new car, and any spares can only be puchased through the car supplier because (i suspect) very few parts are off a production unit. if suppliers for the existing v8 class weren't sanctioned as they are, the cars would be cheaper to build, and the class more sustainable.
The new car will be cheaper to maitain, the best thing for the curent cars is the fibreglass guards, they have saved money on repairs. The rest of the stuff is high maintanince regardless of whom supplies it. Yet you will still have 11 year old cars going around.

Quote:
because we, the elite few, have already started to drive nails into the coffin, and will continue to do so until our egos are massaged accordingly??.
there is already too many classes in this country, so instead of merging cars into an existing class and boosting numbers, every season a new class starts........... no f#$%in wonder the summer series is unsustainable.

too many fields/classes spread over too many events, competing for both the spectator sponsor and entrant dollar, during tight financial times does not spell a recipe for success.
People don't like change, but this has to happen. Everything thing about this new car is to save money, better running costs.

The main option as I see it is it opens up for the Australian teams to possibly field a car, better oposition name drivers and could be a big and good thing. or jethro down in the paddock can keep playing the banjo.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2840787)   #59
Biggy G
Veteran

Gotta agree wtih you DJJ, it's getting harder and harder each year to get sponsors on board whilst running car models that don't even feature in the second string Australian Series. Which rightly or wrongly we will always be compared too.

Go to a sponsor with a new VE or FG, a good tv package, interesting round format and tell them the likes of Greg Murphy are on board, if that doesnt interest them nothing will...
Old 5 Mar 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2840823)   #60
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
joe's issue doesn't seem to be with change.. more to do with way it's being done. we don't need to go back to the olden days with only 2 tranzam camaros or a couple of bmws and a telstar fighting it out in our top class. porsche, suzuki, mini. etc are all running current models yet are also finding it difficult to get sponsors on board too. apart from online.. i can't say i've ever any spectators complain at a circuit about the current V8s not being the current models. the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important! the a couple of cars (no matter what they are) isn't.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 01:54 (Ref:2840861)   #61
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
joe's issue doesn't seem to be with change.. more to do with way it's being done. we don't need to go back to the olden days with only 2 tranzam camaros or a couple of bmws and a telstar fighting it out in our top class..
exactly. it has happened to nearly every championship where there is more than one manufacturer in the past . is this new supertourer OSCA/GTNZ eligible, if so, why would you not merge and have a decent 'big banger class' again, until such time as you have enough numbers to run them as a standalone class????.
Quote:
porsche, suzuki, mini. etc are all running current models yet are also finding it difficult to get sponsors on board too. apart from online.. i can't say i've ever any spectators complain at a circuit about the current V8s not being the current models. the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important! the a couple of cars (no matter what they are) isn't.
so it's not the age of the cars that is the problem, it's lack of cars that concerns you as well.

does any one in VEEGA/TMC have a spreadsheet that outlines over the past 2-3 years:
who entered the championship;
which rounds they entered;
which guys did every round.
i believe it would make concerning reading??

So, Mark, DJJ, Biggy G etc, what happens when only 6-10 of these cars front up because of a supposed 'need to change'
Old 6 Mar 2011, 02:25 (Ref:2840867)   #62
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
well the feedback from a group of newbies i know that went to last years Hamilton 400 was.. NZV8 races were better to watch and the cars sounded like real V8s unlike the Supercars. no mention of out of date body shells.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2840873)   #63
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
So, Mark, DJJ, Biggy G etc, what happens when only 6-10 of these cars front up because of a supposed 'need to change'
From what i've read and heard about the series I don't think this is a possibility, we've just ticked over a year until round 1 and there is already significant interest.

And as for people complaing at the track, I dont think there is as much value in their opnion as there is from the punters that were coming to the track 5 to 6 years ago, but no longer are. Or big V8 Supercar fans that have never attended a NZV8 round. How bout we got out and ask them why they're not coming through the turnstiles, you've already got the $$$ from the people at the track.

The NZV8 series is out-dated to the general public and media. They want to see the FG's and VE's that are seen in Australia, hence the popularity of the NZV8's when the Supercars were running the same models.

You'd be naive to think the media wouldn't be interested in a series where they couldn't plaster "Murphy Wins" across the headlines too and when the media is interested, the sponsors are interested, and in turn that fills the grids and brings in the fans.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2840878)   #64
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
joe's issue doesn't seem to be with change.. more to do with way it's being done. we don't need to go back to the olden days with only 2 tranzam camaros or a couple of bmws and a telstar fighting it out in our top class. porsche, suzuki, mini. etc are all running current models yet are also finding it difficult to get sponsors on board too. apart from online.. i can't say i've ever any spectators complain at a circuit about the current V8s not being the current models. the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important! the a couple of cars (no matter what they are) isn't.
I think change can be good, but I agree it's the way it's being done I am a bit leery of and whether than benefits the common good of the sport into the future.

Any series that aims to be "professional" in terms of attracting crowds and sponsors to pay the bills, the ultimate foundation building block is the fan, the person that pays to attend races, patronizes sponsors, watches on tv, tells other people about it/talks about it and so on. Sure there is some business to business dealing out there that funds professional motorsport, but I believe if there is no one out in the general public that gives a rip, you don't have a show to put on.

The old cars, well I dunno. In Argentina they still run 1970's cars in Turrismo Carretera and of course historic motorsport seems to be the only growth in motorsport these days(that should say something). Certainly there is an argument to make that older cars can have staying power. In this case I'd lean towards newer cars, but as you say "the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important!".

And if that is important, which for the "fans" I believe it's what has them follow the sport, then I don't know if this approach of dividing then hoping to conquer is going to work. To do so puts faith in collapsing the NZV8 series, which is an established name now after 10 years. Can that be pulled off in such an economy, especially after what happened recently? I'm not convinced.

I wish a better alternative could have been worked out rather than 2 ships setting sail in different directions.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 06:08 (Ref:2840895)   #65
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want motor racing in NZ to grow you have to bring back the big bangers. It is obvious thats what the crowds want to see. The NZV8's just don't quite have that rumble. Hopefully the NZ Super Tourers will have that sound we all miss.

We also need to have famous drivers in the cars. Most people on these forums will remember the days that Brock, Johnson, Millen, Richards etc raced in the Tranzam series. There were big crowds at these meetings.

I could imagine next season there will probably be very few entries in the NZV8's. How can the different organisations work together to replace the NZV8's with NZ Super Tourers? This would be the best idea for everyone I would say.

Just you average spectator
Mike
Old 6 Mar 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2840925)   #66
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Jones View Post
If you want motor racing in NZ to grow you have to bring back the big bangers.
umm they still race in the IRC Series

while i liked Tranzam.. you can't compare that series to the current NZV8 series. numbers weren't that great, reliability wasn't great, a lot of the racing wasn't great. they do sound good though

in other news.. why would you want to stack the field with overseas drivers? and who is going to pick up the bill?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2841008)   #67
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new era of touring car racing in NZ.

So long as the Supertourer class maintains a uniqueness against the V8supercars it will retain the popular elements of the current series and grow alot further.

People who get into the NZV8s currently do so because its different from any other v8 category, the only main similairitys being ford and holden, and even then there is bugger all manufacturer input. At Hamilton when the NZV8s come out the supercar fans smirk at the old shells and expect rookie racing carnage. After lap 2 without fail their opinion changes as they realise the quality of racing.

But at the end of the day, most of the top drivers are all in falcons on the basis of a competitive package. The holdens have struggled for a while now and it isnt attractive to sponsors or the casual punter.

In the long term the new Supertourer should be cost effective, the panels and parts will always be in stock and to spec without having to source donor cars or trailering the car down to the local panel beater. If we can get old taxis and cop cars to race for this long surely a new purpose built chassis is going to last and provide just the same.

My hope is that race formats are enjoyable, the racing is close and has passing, and that 7 liters give my ears an orgasm
A well promoted series will also stand out from the rest, as if i havent stressed that enough across many forums.

Personaly the only gripe so far from me is no H pattern, missed gears are part of the racing!

Kenny.

Last edited by KLR93; 6 Mar 2011 at 13:13.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2841131)   #68
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, I am new to this forum, and have been a V8 junkie for about 4 years now (ever since the first V8SC race in Hamilton).

I think this is the best thing to happen to NZ motorsport in years. It is a fact that the old taxis are at the end of their time and need to be re-vamped and modernised.

I have some questions for Mark Petch if he has the time to answer them:

1) Do you think this new series will be seen as a stepping stone for NZ or Aus drivers to enter fujitsu series?
2) If so then I think this will work very well as the NZST class should attract well known aussie teams/drivers. We may even see 'off-season' V8SC and Fujitsu guys competing in this class, and that will be awesome!
3) The fact the murph is already on the books must be a big coup for your guys. Its seems a matter of time before the likes of Bargs, Ingall and maybe even Stevie Richards would make the transfer over (and maybe even Tander in a few years time!). I also see this is a great opportunity for Scott McGlaughlan (sp?) and a few of the other young guns)
4) The cars look great and the engine/gearbox package sounds amazing (i have been waiting for the day to come when we see seq. boxes being run in our V8's). However 550hp seems a little light from an engine that can produce in excess of 750hp. Is there provision for the HP to be increased to say 620hp so it sits just under the V8SC output? - once again another way of opening up the category to some of the V8SC guys.
5) I notice in the press release that the wheels are still using the 5 stud pattern as opposed to a centre nut - will this be the case with the final car? (the reason i ask is i am interested to know whether the new class will have pit stops like what we see in the main game in Aus.)
6) One of the problems with the current BNT V8's is that they are hideously under tyred and lack any decent aero. Will the new tyre an aero package be the same as a current V8SC? This is one area where the whole 'look' of the car becomes important from a fans point of view.
7) I notice the car in the press release was a VEII commodore - will this be the same for all the new cars or will some opt for the VEI model? (i realise that there will of course still be an FG option - which i can;t wait to see!!)
8) I believe if marketed correctly there is no reason why this class would not be aired in Australia which opens up a whole new audience/sponsors/ and possibly even overseas races (much like what V8SC are doing now). Imagine a Team Vodafone car racing in NZST - why not!!

I personally am over the moon about the news of this series and I will be there on day one without fail and i hope that the rest of NZ Msport fans will do the same.

I also hope that our current NZV8 operators band together with the aim of supporting this new class, and maybe even making the complete crossover - afterall this new class has a future mapped out and its in line with COTF (which whether you like it or not is the way forward)

Mark i wish you all the best with this and i hope it is a successful venture and one which leads to greater parity between us and the aussies, and one which draws great crowds to some of our better facilities such as 'the downs'.

Now i realise that my views will not be the same as everyone else so i am expecting a slaying to some point. However, please keep in mind that I am new to the sport and was attracted to it solely becase of what i saw in Hamilton a few years ago, so i am writing this purely from a spectators point of view.

And Mark, please get that website up and running

Thanks all, and i look forward to being part of this forum

Stu
Old 7 Mar 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2841343)   #69
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hi all, I am new to this forum, and have been a V8 junkie for about 4 years now (ever since the first V8SC race in Hamilton).

I think this is the best thing to happen to NZ motorsport in years. It is a fact that the old taxis are at the end of their time and need to be re-vamped and modernised.

I have some questions for Mark Petch if he has the time to answer them:

1) Do you think this new series will be seen as a stepping stone for NZ or Aus drivers to enter fujitsu series?
YES

2) If so then I think this will work very well as the NZST class should attract well known aussie teams/drivers. We may even see 'off-season' V8SC and Fujitsu guys competing in this class, and that will be awesome!
3) The fact the murph is already on the books must be a big coup for your guys. Its seems a matter of time before the likes of Bargs, Ingall and maybe even Stevie Richards would make the transfer over (and maybe even Tander in a few years time!). I also see this is a great opportunity for Scott McGlaughlan (sp?) and a few of the other young guns)
4) The cars look great and the engine/gearbox package sounds amazing (i have been waiting for the day to come when we see seq. boxes being run in our V8's).

However 550hp seems a little light from an engine that can produce in excess of 750hp. Is there provision for the HP to be increased to say 620hp so it sits just under the V8SC output? - once again another way of opening up the category to some of the V8SC guys.
The car with driver, already has a greater power to weight ratio that a IV8Supercar, and significantly more engine torque

5) I notice in the press release that the wheels are still using the 5 stud pattern as opposed to a centre nut - will this be the case with the final car? (the reason i ask is i am interested to know whether the new class will have pit stops like what we see in the main game in Aus.)
Yes.
6) One of the problems with the current BNT V8's is that they are hideously under tyred and lack any decent aero. Will the new tyre an aero package be the same as a current V8SC?
The aero is identical to the current V8SC, from the exact same molds.

This is one area where the whole 'look' of the car becomes important from a fans point of view.
7) I notice the car in the press release was a VEII commodore - will this be the same for all the new cars or will some opt for the VEI model? (i realise that there will of course still be an FG option - which i can;t wait to see!!)
8) I believe if marketed correctly there is no reason why this class would not be aired in Australia which opens up a whole new audience/sponsors/ and possibly even overseas races (much like what V8SC are doing now). Imagine a Team Vodafone car racing in NZST - why not!!

I personally am over the moon about the news of this series and I will be there on day one without fail and i hope that the rest of NZ Msport fans will do the same.

I also hope that our current NZV8 operators band together with the aim of supporting this new class, and maybe even making the complete crossover - after all
NZV8's have a contract with TMC, which means that they must run over the TMC promoted "Summer Series". The V8ST Series runs over a calendar year, and want to control our own destiny. Should VEEGA be released from that contract, we would welcome the NZV8'd with open arms [I happen to own two of them so it would be great] but contracts are contracts, and TMC is 60% owned by MSNZ.

this new class has a future mapped out and its in line with COTF (which whether you like it or not is the way forward)

Mark i wish you all the best with this and i hope it is a successful venture and one which leads to greater parity between us and the aussies, and one which draws great crowds to some of our better facilities such as 'the downs'.

Now i realise that my views will not be the same as everyone else so i am expecting a slaying to some point. However, please keep in mind that I am new to the sport and was attracted to it solely becase of what i saw in Hamilton a few years ago, so i am writing this purely from a spectators point of view.

And Mark, please get that website up and running:
Check out www.v8supertourers.co.nz its up and running now, still heaps of housework and information to be loaded so keep checking back over the next few months because all news will be posted first on that site.

Thanks all, and i look forward to being part of this forum

Stu
hope that assist your understanding of what you may expect in the future.

Mark Petch.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2841719)   #70
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reply Mark, I appreciate your time.

I checked the website too, looks great

One thing i did notice however is that the rear doors look shorter than the production model. I know that with V8SC the rear door on the VE is 40mm shorter than the production model which allows it to share the same platform as the FG. Is this the case with the NZST class? (i.e. the rear door on the VE will be shorter?)

Its interesting you say that with the new configuration the power to weight ratio will be up on a V8SC, so it will be interesting to see (if ever the day comes) when a NZST shares the same track with a V8SC (Hamilton 400 maybe??) and see what the difference in lap times are - its sounds as if they would be pretty close.

Can you give us any more teasers on potential drivers for this class Mark?

Cheers

Stu
Old 7 Mar 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2841737)   #71
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
In the long term the new Supertourer should be cost effective, the panels and parts will always be in stock and to spec without having to source donor cars or trailering the car down to the local panel beater. If we can get old taxis and cop cars to race for this long surely a new purpose built chassis is going to last and provide just the same.
Kenny.
true.. but we have now NZV8 teams with $100,000's worth of gear that isn't Supertourer friendly. the Supertourer series is totally different series to NZV8.. that's going to cause issues. if was an evolution of NZV8 and there was a transitional period it wouldn't be as bad.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2841740)   #72
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
A new era of touring car racing in NZ.
Kenny.
can we even class them as touring cars? they're kinda like oversized star cars
Old 8 Mar 2011, 02:09 (Ref:2841892)   #73
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful what you wish for Stu. Following the V8's lead may be good, but it could be bad (I'd suggest it would lean more toward the latter)

Front Aero can cause issues when the cars are closely matched for speed etc. It can mean the front grip changes in different situations and cars get caught following one another and don't have that extra 10th needed to make the pass. Stressing motors to their limits means more $$, no reason to do it especially when all you are really after is a level playing field. Better to over-engineer than have bits break because you are pushing them too hard. Pit stops can be good in making races last longer, however once it gets competitive, it just adds another component of cost. Fluid dynamics and development of fuel rigs, mega $$ impact guns, physically trained pit-crew all start making them a potentially costly and unnecessary. K.I.S.S is a principle often best applied. And it looks like the cars have followed that for the most part.

Theoretically the series has a good foundation, I understand what they are trying to achieve, time will tell if theory and reality line up - history tells us that it's usually not the case. Ideally it would make sense to have it as an evolution, but as Mark highlighted, he owns some of the current cars, so he is stretching himself to do this too. Effectively it looks like they are creating an "Outlaw" type series, which again can be good, but it can be bad. There will be short term pain no doubt, but I hope it pays off for you guys.

(And BTW, dont expect the big boys over here to allow you in on TV and sponsor coverage over here - not unless you are willing to pay that is)
Old 8 Mar 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2841960)   #74
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
true.. but we have now NZV8 teams with $100,000's worth of gear that isn't Supertourer friendly. the Supertourer series is totally different series to NZV8.. that's going to cause issues. if was an evolution of NZV8 and there was a transitional period it wouldn't be as bad.
geez Promax, you don't happen to drink Speights as well?? , seem to share similar views elsewhere.

what happens to the old cars......... nothing. effectively they will become totally worthless, unless Mark and his band of merry wallet slingers have an outlet organised for them?........... doubt it????? who would want them when the average clubmans car can bust quicker laps

hey Mark, still waiting for a spreadsheet of entries Vs events over the last few seasons................ or is the reading too grim to admit to??

how much of the interest/enquiry, in this new car/series, involves a multi car team with David John as the entrant
Old 8 Mar 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2842007)   #75
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NZV8 series will still be running... race them there...

or...

Leave TMC, spend a little more money in the short term but in the long term have a much healthier suistainable and popular race series..

I actualy find it hard to believe TMC are in the business as promoters. They cant promote squat!
Closed Thread