Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2338970)   #1
gelbe
Rookie

gelbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Long Distance Rallies

Hello all, glad to be on the forum. Not sure if this is the section to post in but oh well.

Some friends and I are looking into spending as much time as we can entering in as many long distance rallies as we can next year. Frankly I can't think of a better way to spend my hard earned holiday time - we did a couple of week long voyages in canal boats last year and I came to the conclusion that I should definitley stick to the roads.

Has anyone got any advice or taken part in any that are worth a look?

Muchos grassy ass.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2339455)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to 10/10th gelbe
Long distance rally's are something I'd love to do but I couldn't navigate without hurling unfortunately!
This site might be a good place to find out more....
http://www.guildofmotorendurance.co.uk/
Old 22 Nov 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2339580)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't vouch for it in any way shape or form but this is the one I've always thought looked interesting. The link takes you to a competitors website, there is a link for the event website itself but it doesn't seem to be working. http://www.sdroyrallying.co.uk/Himalayan.pdf
Old 23 Nov 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2340101)   #4
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
gelbe,
What car do you drive?
Club Triumph do two long distance events, the Round Britain Reliability Run, London-John O'Groats-Lands End-London in 48 hours, and the Ten Countries Run, visiting France, Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium and of course the UK in four days. They run on alternate years, and 2009 is the next 10CR, when Spain will be on the itinerary. BUt you have to be in a Triumph!

See the CT website: http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/c...ent.cgi?pid=19
John
Old 28 Nov 2008, 03:00 (Ref:2343086)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are also some run in Australia if you want a real adventure, for example in September was the Red Centre to Gold Coast Trial, which covered 7000km from Alice Springs to Cairns, Birdsville and finally Surfers Paradise. August next year will see a re-run of the first few days of the 1979 Repco round-Australia trial (over 8 days) from Melbourne to Coober Pedy in outback South Australia.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2343324)   #6
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Strewth, mate!
At least 10,000k!
That knocks the 10CR, only a little more than the 2000m RBRR, into the long grass!
John
Old 28 Nov 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2343436)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good question but wouldn't this be better in classics?

Welcome gelbe.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2343743)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Good question but wouldn't this be better in classics?

Welcome gelbe.
Maybe- although the original question wasn't directly classic related.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2343785)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Club triumph is for current production?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2344060)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's what is now a road rally in South America that used to be a race won by the likes of Fangio.

It's called La Carrera Panamericana and you can read about it here.

It's probably a once in a lifetime thing, but must be truly epic. Someone I knew did it as a passenger (there wasn't much navigating involved) once and never stopped talking about it.

Last edited by strider; 30 Nov 2008 at 01:13.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2344320)   #11
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Club triumph is for current production?
Like I said, the original question wasn't directly classic related
and Gelbe hasn't stated whether or not it's classic rallies he's interested in.
Might move it later.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2344669)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
Strewth, mate!
At least 10,000k!
That knocks the 10CR, only a little more than the 2000m RBRR, into the long grass!
John
The 1979 Repco Reliability Trial did over 20,000km in 14 days, but would never be repeated - one of the quotes I have read from that one is a competitor asking his co-driver if the sun on the horizon was going down or coming up...

Not sure on the distance of the re-run next year, but possibly something like 3000km maximum.

Targa Tasmania and Targa New Zealand probably fit the bill too - tarmac events with modern and classic categories
Old 1 Dec 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2344958)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your UK based and want a REAL endurance rally,try Le-JOG,done it twice, and it will give you the opportunity of driving the best roads/forest tracks on the island
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2345207)   #14
JohnD
Veteran

[QUOTE=strider]It's called La Carrera Panamericana and you can read about it [/URL].
[QUOTE]

That reminds me - CT also supports La Carrera Caledonia. Whisky instead of tequila, heather instead of saquoaro cactus, but the same style of rough and twisty roads. Keep and eye on http://club.triumph.org.uk/lacarrera/ for news of the 2009 Carrera.

John
Old 2 Dec 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2345977)   #15
JohnD
Veteran

PS: See also: http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/f...9929/s-9/#num9
J
Old 7 Dec 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2349556)   #16
Johnny Tipler
Rookie

Johnny Tipler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, call this a bit of opportunist self-promotion, but my book on La Carrera Panamericana is just out, published by Veloce. The first third covers the original event from 1950 to '54, and the rest of the book majors on the revival that kicked off in 1988. See www.velocebooks.com for details. The event is a blast - '50s American stock cars topping 160mph cross mountains and deserts!