Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Jan 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2822061)   #1
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2011 UK TV coverage - Sky to drop IndyCar?

I just read this article which says there are rumours Sky is dropping IndyCar.

As the only motorsport they can be bothered to show, I know they'll be losing my subscription if this is confirmed. In the year before IndyCar's most positive changes since the 'merger', they would be crazy to let it go now, having stuck with it through the stagnant years with the hideous old Dallaras. They've got four channels to use, so what's their excuse for treating motorsport fans with such disdain?

Randy Bernard should realise the UK audience is an important one and make sure it's shown live on a popular channel most people have access to.

It's an unbelievably bad time for armchair viewers it seems, with the controversy surrounding ALMS coverage, and NASCAR and WRC going to different pay channels that very few people have. I am not rich and have no intention of signing up to numerous channels just to see one series on each!
Old 28 Jan 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2822081)   #2
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear!

And then they complain when there are thousands of people watching online streams.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 00:22 (Ref:2822098)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The current head of Sky Sports apparently isn't into motorsports at all. He's not taking anything new and is letting existing contracts die a death as they run out.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2822112)   #4
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll probably let my Sky Sports contract die a death then

I wonder if they'll still have DTM and F3 Euro Series delayed highlights? From what I can see, apart from the Max Power and Racemax magazine shows that's all they've had recently to offer motorsport fans.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 02:18 (Ref:2822122)   #5
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not cool. The Indy 500 and INDYCAR champion is from the United Kingdom and they don't even get TV coverage? Shame. And that's not even mentioning drivers like Dan Wheldon, who can still win races, or any of the other Brits in the series (as well as those looking to move up, like Martin Plowman and Katherine Legge).

Still, INDYCAR needs to take care of itself domestically, and then worry about international expansion. I do hope there will be coverage in the U.K., though, and I know Randy Bernard is hoping to try to get as many races in as many European households as possible as contracts begin to expire (selling individual races to networks; this could get the Indy 500 in particular solid coverage overseas, and make it more affordable for a network to just pick up a handful of races).
Old 29 Jan 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2822214)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Open Access 3 lost NASCAR to a pay channel for 2011. Maybe they will pick up IndyCar instead?
Old 30 Jan 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2822718)   #7
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we got the whole of Feb to worry about this so here we go again hunting a TV channel for a US Motorsport, hopefully we find that out soon.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2822787)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately I suspect that if everyone who watched Indycar dropped their Sky Sports subscription Sky would lose about £568.

Maybe Motors will pick it up? Or for improved quality ESPN.

Where has NASCAR gone? ESPN? I hope so they have HD and I have that!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2822809)   #9
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
NASCAR's gone to Premier Sports TV... no, I'd barely heard of it either.

It looks like a season of dubious and endlessly buffering streams may be on the cards then for my US racing fix.

It would be nice if Motors picked it up, or even Eurosport, though they wouldn't do it justice with all the other live stuff they have to find room for.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2822885)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Not cool. The Indy 500 and INDYCAR champion is from the United Kingdom and they don't even get TV coverage? Shame. And that's not even mentioning drivers like Dan Wheldon, who can still win races, or any of the other Brits in the series (as well as those looking to move up, like Martin Plowman and Katherine Legge).
Thats the sad reality of the recognition of these drivers within the UK. The only time Dario Franchitti was mentioned in the news is because of his crashes at the end of '07.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2822978)   #11
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've already cancelled my sky sub. Nascar & Indycar were all I used it for really, Nascar's gone, Indy usually streams on Indycar.com, Freeview channnels supply everything else. (What the hell happened to Motors.tv?)

However, if Premier Sports TV acquire Indycar to go with Nascar, I would definitely subscribe for Nascar & Indy. I won't subscribe for Nascar alone.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2823770)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I live over here and quite frankley I don't know why Sky bothered, other than that they seem to like having a monopoly as far as broadcasting any sporting event over here goes.

With the success of F1 returning to the BBC and that the BBC are going to be showing the Superbowl again, hopefully they might show the 500 if nothing else.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2824317)   #13
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.huewen.com/index.php?p=1_12_Letters

Keith Huewen wrote this in reply to someone's question on this subject.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2824488)   #14
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
That sounds like positive news.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2825717)   #15
candy-tyrrell
Rookie

candy-tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I've already decided to abandon sky sports I'm not paying 20 odd quid a month just to watch Indycars
Old 4 Feb 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2825830)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy-tyrrell View Post
Well I've already decided to abandon sky sports I'm not paying 20 odd quid a month just to watch Indycars
I've never liked the way Sky monopolise sports broadcasting in the UK, considering so much of the money they generate goes into the Football League and helps bank roll the exorbitant fees payed by teams for players, e.g. £50m for this Torres guy to quit one team and go to another.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2825966)   #17
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 500 on the BBC, now that would be awesome.

The Rockingham CART races were shown on the BBC in 2001/2002, I remember the 2002 race with Charlie Cox and Johnny Herbert on the mic!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2827344)   #18
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And its a 2 year contract with sky http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89330
Old 7 Feb 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2827386)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HD! Hurrah!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2827392)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
And its a 2 year contract with sky http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89330
Nice to see they recognize the British talent in the ICS.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2827480)   #21
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Well done, Sky.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2827752)   #22
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Justin.tv for me again this season!
Old 8 Feb 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2827930)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent. Me happy.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2827975)   #24
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Monaco GP & Indy 500, on the same day, in glorious HD. I think i need to sit down for a moment.......