Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3107229)   #2376
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We get those on Abu Dhabi TV. I like them. Trouble is, come the race we get Arabic commentators who a, have no emotion and b, don't speak English! We used to get the BEEB commentary.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3107230)   #2377
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
The listings on screen never tell you what's going to be shown, though. it just says "Your home of F1". How do you do it? When do you know what's on? I'm not going to sit there all day in case something good comes on.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3107234)   #2378
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you pay for Sky? If so then I guess you must have wanted it.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3107244)   #2379
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Do you pay for Sky? If so then I guess you must have wanted it.
I already had the full Sky package before they opened the F1 channel. (A daughter who likes American TV pap). So the racing dosn't cost any more for me - I'm just disappointed by the endless repeats, although I did post some time ago that I thought that Sky would have this problem.

Would they save on costs if they reduced the transmissions to, say, 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.? Can't be that many folks watching at 4 in the morning.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 15:25 (Ref:3107252)   #2380
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drop the sports and go HD - that's what we have and the F1 channel comes free with it. Or at least we've not had any notification of price rise yet!

As for what's on - the TV guide button is your friend...
Old 16 Jul 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3107266)   #2381
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Drop the sports and go HD - that's what we have and the F1 channel comes free with it. Or at least we've not had any notification of price rise yet!

As for what's on - the TV guide button is your friend...
sorry to be such a misery-guts , but that's my point. It just says "your home of F1". No other info. Vagueness dosn't come into it. Only rarely do Sky tell you the exact content of the next programme. Even pressing the "i" button dosn't help.

I like to pick and choose. But I can't.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3107280)   #2382
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I have just received notification in the post of an increase in Sky fees from Sept 1st - £1.00 extra per month for the Sports package.

Not a lot, but multiply by 12 and then by the number of subscribers. So is this an acknowledgement that they're not making as much as they thought out of it? I've hardly watched the channel since the initial fuss - they simply repeat the races, and the "legends" interviews. There's nothing new, which isn't what they promised.
I don't remembers previous price increase without getting something extra. I think it is an acknowledgement of inflation, nothing else.

They have delivered exactly as promised, IMHO. More legend programmes than I've managed to watch, a weekly programme and infinite weekend coverage. Loads of season reviews. The Senna film. Bob on. I'm not really sure what else is needed.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3107284)   #2383
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Would they save on costs if they reduced the transmissions to, say, 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.? Can't be that many folks watching at 4 in the morning.
I don't think it is the broadcasting part that is the bit that costs money.

Oh and the race control bit is good too, if watching live.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3107297)   #2384
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't remembers previous price increase without getting something extra. I think it is an acknowledgement of inflation, nothing else.

They have delivered exactly as promised, IMHO. More legend programmes than I've managed to watch, a weekly programme and infinite weekend coverage. Loads of season reviews. The Senna film. Bob on. I'm not really sure what else is needed.
Nobody moans quite like me. Olympic standard.

Grand Prix racing started in 1906, and the WC for drivers in 1950. I don't want to see 1995 or whatever, that's just yesterday. I want to see new material commissioned by Sky, not old re-runs that have been shown previously on terrestrial channels. They're taking the easy route.

I'll get me coat.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3107315)   #2385
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As I don't have Sky and I am unlikely to do so, I'll just comment on what I see here.

Sky is aiming at the new generation of fans, it doesn't need history per se, it needs current situations. Therefore I think it is really looking at the newspaper reader who wants information, instantly and in your face. The history bits are a sop to those who like to think they are watching the same sport that they (and me) grew up with. They aren't.

So, let it go. Both the coverage and the marketplace do not want or warrant history, just the races as they happen. Frankly if you have a formula one channel it should be switched off between race weekends.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3107319)   #2386
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Common sense as usual. I don't watch it anyway if the Beeb have the race.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3107324)   #2387
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Common sense as usual. I don't watch it anyway if the Beeb have the race.
Er, then can I ask why you are complaining?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3107350)   #2388
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Er, then can I ask why you are complaining?
Sorry, I didn't explain. I prefer the Beeb's coverage. I agree with you that Sky are probably aiming at the newer F1 fans - I'm disappointed that there's nothing that particularly interests me.

Disappointment is a powerful thing.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3107412)   #2389
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I want to see new material commissioned by Sky, not old re-runs that have been shown previously on terrestrial channels. They're taking the easy route.
So what exactly would you like to see?

The Test days are restricted and not televised by the FIA, so there is nothing that could be commisioned around that.

THe Cost of Sky hiring out a full OB for a F1 circuit for testing would be massively expensive so again can't commision around that.

Driver features away from the track? Do we really want another round of ITV's Beverly Turner makes lunch with Massa

Brundle can really only do the chance of a lifetime drive once, so no point sending him back to Maranello.

If the channel hadn't been so restrictive in it's name, and Sky consistently put other motorsport on it, then yes there would be the chance of other programming.

Perhaps what is missing is a focus on one or two drivers in GP2 or GP3 with weekly or post race (latter in the week) show featuring how they got on, their challenges etc over the course of the season.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3107426)   #2390
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think the Sky package is all that great extra value. I don't think it's great value for Sky. I knew people will become jaded and complacent very quick and if I was a Sky executive I would've never have signed off on an F1 channel. I do like the historical pieces but when they are constantly repeated they are no longer special. That's my personal taste. Maybe I'm eccentric though.

I think the scandal here isn't Sky per say, it's Eccelstone's greed. In his old age it's all about the easy windfall, rather than the long-term investment with him. There's no reason to charge broadcasters so much, there's no reason that F1 should've left FTA. There was alot of funny business there.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3107489)   #2391
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
sorry to be such a misery-guts , but that's my point. It just says "your home of F1". No other info. Vagueness dosn't come into it. Only rarely do Sky tell you the exact content of the next programme. Even pressing the "i" button dosn't help.

I like to pick and choose. But I can't.
Hmmm...

Sounds like an issue with your box. By comparison, when I look I can see things (my paraphrased) like "Legends: Jackie Stewart"; "British GP highlights"; "GP2 Marathon, Valencia 1"; Valencia 2....
Old 17 Jul 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3107521)   #2392
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Hmmm...

Sounds like an issue with your box. By comparison, when I look I can see things (my paraphrased) like "Legends: Jackie Stewart"; "British GP highlights"; "GP2 Marathon, Valencia 1"; Valencia 2....
Oh err missus. I dread phoning Sky about anything. I can never understand the recipient of my call, and then they try and sell you something.

I realise that most folks don't agree with me, but I'd rather see reduced transmission hours with fewer repeats. I agree with the poster who pointed out that Sky could have called the channel Motor Racing or w.h.y. and then would not have been so restricted. I naively thought that they would have obtained coverage from the birth of the sport, rather than concentrate on the last 10 years or so.

I don't watch my MFQ and gentlemans racing diary dvds very often just so that it's refreshing when I do. That's why I don't want to see the British GP again a few days after it's taken place.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3107958)   #2393
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
For those not wanting to wait for BBC highlights of the German GP. and if you haven't got Sky but are a Virgin Media customer (as I am) - Happy Days this weekend - from Friday am to Sunday eve, all Sky Sports are available free....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...6/Free-weekend

Picked this up off Martin Lewis (Money-Saving Expert) newsletter......
Old 18 Jul 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3107962)   #2394
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Likewise sky SD customers who don't have Sports will get Free Access this weekend.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3108508)   #2395
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Likewise sky SD customers who don't have Sports will get Free Access this weekend.

Sorry - should have said that as well....I was just so excited at getting to see the race live.....
Old 19 Jul 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3108668)   #2396
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
For those not wanting to wait for BBC highlights of the German GP. and if you haven't got Sky but are a Virgin Media customer (as I am) - Happy Days this weekend - from Friday am to Sunday eve, all Sky Sports are available free....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...6/Free-weekend

Picked this up off Martin Lewis (Money-Saving Expert) newsletter......
How generous. Looks like they are trying to attract new customers. Thanks for sharing but I'll wait for the highlights.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3108709)   #2397
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I naively thought that they would have obtained coverage from the birth of the sport, rather than concentrate on the last 10 years or so.
a lot or races broadcast on tv back then?

jokes aside it would be seriously cool if they took it upon themselves to start transferring whatever footage (film) they could into a digital format. maybe even some colour updates or HD conversions for some of the more memorable races.

dont have a link for it, but i recall reading that when making the Senna movie the makers got access to the FOM vaults and there is a boat load of old footage just sitting there. but even if they dont want to open that room up, at the very least im surprised that SKY's deal with FOM did not include the rights or a licensing agreement to rebroadcast all the prior year season reviews.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3108808)   #2398
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
How generous. Looks like they are trying to attract new customers. Thanks for sharing but I'll wait for the highlights.
It's something that they do every summer. It's usually nearer the start of the football season, but with the Olympics virtually rolling into the start of the season, they have done it now.

ESPN do it from time to time as well
Old 20 Jul 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3108895)   #2399
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It's something that they do every summer. It's usually nearer the start of the football season, but with the Olympics virtually rolling into the start of the season, they have done it now.

ESPN do it from time to time as well
I'm aware its an annual thing and I've already had a phone call from Sky as I expressed an interest when the deal was first announced. I'm sure they will get a few more customers out of it, but I'm already looking into getting 'Youview' which is being launched very soon. My PVR is playing up and needs to be replaced and this alternative appears great value for money for myself.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 07:42 (Ref:3108900)   #2400
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Burning martyr.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky