Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jun 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3746683)   #2101
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Thanks Gary, that is very helpful, means I don't have to panic and arrive at the crack of dawn to find a space, travel wise I can probably find my way to Lincolnshire, I am looking for information about the final approach as I do not know the area at all, and a little local knowledge is often desirable. Back doubles, holes in the fence kind of stuff.

I hope to say hello the following week at the Classic.

Cheers,

Bob.

Bob,

It's a doddle. If at all possible avoid Newark (If using M1/A46) on a Friday afternoon. Both bypass and centre can be frustrating. Likewise Lincoln bypass can be busy but not too bad usually by early evening.

I assume you are not planning to use a satnav?

Basically you need to go past Lincoln heading North North East and get to Wragby.

Just through the cntral cross roads in Wragby there is a mini roundabout where I would suggest turning right towards Horncastle. (Other head straight on and then cut across country mainly if towing in order to avoid a steeping twisty section of road just south of the track location.)

Pootle along there (decent road) for about 8 miles until the village of Baumber. (30 limit, S bends, old style garage on the right). Right at the end of the village there is a left turn. Sign post but it is a little less than obvious until you are upon it. Turn left there for a shrt run to a staggered cross roads. Turn Right then immediately left.

Drop down into a village, across a bridge, left turn with pub on the right.

You can take the next right just around the bend but I would suggest carrying on through the village. You then get a couple of miles of open C (or D?) road, much of it straight. Good fun. At the end turn right for a few hundred yards then left at the T junction (joining on a bend). Stay on that road for a few miles and you will come to the entrance to the circuit on your right.

As Gary has said - loads of space (except, perhaps, for the big bike meetings) plenty of access and if you will have media accreditation lots of interesting location the public can't get to. (Gary can advise)

On the other hand, if you don't have media accreditation there are still great locations and plenty that are fence free. Out around the open parts of the circuit a longish lens is a good idea. In the wooded area of Hall Bends it is not a requirement at all.

I can provide a more detailed route from Lincoln if you need it.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3746723)   #2102
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sounds quite simple Grant

Very much appreciate you taking the trouble, it sounds like I will not struggle, should have accreditation although after Brands fiasco I am not holding my breath.
I am booked into the Premier Inn in Lincoln for Saturday night, the nearest my secretary* could find.

Any further advices from any source will be accepted gratefully.

Cheers,

Bob

*Eldest daughter treating her old dad for his 80th.

PS any other tenors going?
Old 25 Jun 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3746730)   #2103
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EIGHTY? When's the big day Bauble, this mustn't go un-mentioned on Tenths. I saw the quips about candles and the Watford fire brigade but I naturally assumed there were twenty or so fewer.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3746738)   #2104
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
EIGHTY? When's the big day Bauble, this mustn't go un-mentioned on Tenths.
The 27th Max
Old 25 Jun 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3746769)   #2105
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.... should have accreditation although after Brands fiasco I am not holding my breath.....
Ah, the joys of the MSV accreditation system - they haven't got those events listed yet so they can't even be applied for. Wonderful system they have.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3746772)   #2106
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The 27th Max
Grass!!!!!
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3746773)   #2107
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Tim, reading on Tapatalk and haven't worked out how to read member profiles yet.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jun 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3746779)   #2108
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, your "private secretary" has chosen a nice place to spend one night but it seems that parking facilities are not … really "facile"!
Coming from South gives this kind of info (if we're talking about the same hotel): Stay on A46 until you come to roundabout for A1434/Newark Road. Continue through one roundabout onto St Catherines/A15 through another roundabout, blah, blah blah, then ASK A NATIVE, nom de Zeus !!
Will you go to your hotel coming from North or South? You should understand that we need this kind of important information. Please, ami Robert …
Old 25 Jun 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3746803)   #2109
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That sounds quite simple Grant

Very much appreciate you taking the trouble, it sounds like I will not struggle, should have accreditation although after Brands fiasco I am not holding my breath.
I am booked into the Premier Inn in Lincoln for Saturday night, the nearest my secretary* could find.

Any further advices from any source will be accepted gratefully.

Cheers,

Bob

*Eldest daughter treating her old dad for his 80th.

PS any other tenors going?
Kingthorpe Manor, Kingthorpe, Nr. Wragby, LN8 5JF,
01673857290 Patrick/Glenys
Excellent B&B 15mins from the circuit, I've stayed for the June HSCC meeting for the last 3 years, say Richard sent you
Old 25 Jun 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3746833)   #2110
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Gordon, I've read that North Korean government officials are currently on a road trip touring Spanish delights such as Benidorm on a fact-finding mission as they want to build a holiday resort of their own.

Have they called you yet?
Unfortunately the powers that be down here are slowly turning our little enclave into another "Benidorm" and have almost joined us up to Garrucha that was 2 miles or so away when we first came here in 1973/4 so I wouldn't wish it on anyone !
I can imagine what type of "concentration" resorts that they would build complete with gun towers to make sure that everybody got up at the crack of dawn for their morning speech and exercise
Anyway Kim hasn't phoned yet so I'll leave it on answerphone tonight.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jun 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3746957)   #2111
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Good news on the pies Viv, I am sure Oxford is delighted, give her my best.

Sorry to have inadvertantly maligned your ancestor, I trust it was just a minor slip up, and that Uncle Victor is not offended, and that any mini members of the family are not distraught, so please accept my 1100 apologies.

Per Ardua ad Astra, as we RAF types are want to say.
Baub, I have a couple of concerns after reading this post:
1. I too had contemplated a (mostly Vauxhall) car model pun based reply to you, but found myself too busy over the weekend to put finger (well thmb) to keyboard.
2. I dread to think how incomprehensible your original post was before you edited it to make it more understandable!
Anyway, those of us interested in the technical workings of Volvo diesel engines are becoming a little worried to find that this thread is turning into a personal combined version of the AA Routeplanner and Trip Advisor (Lincolnshire)...

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday Eve!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3746971)   #2112
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Kingthorpe Manor, Kingthorpe, Nr. Wragby, LN8 5JF,
01673857290 Patrick/Glenys
Excellent B&B 15mins from the circuit, I've stayed for the June HSCC meeting for the last 3 years, say Richard sent you
Thanks Richard, they are fully booked, as are al of the local B&B's as far as I can discover. It looks like the luxury of the Premier Inn will just have to do.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3746972)   #2113
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bob, your "private secretary" has chosen a nice place to spend one night but it seems that parking facilities are not … really "facile"!
Coming from South gives this kind of info (if we're talking about the same hotel): Stay on A46 until you come to roundabout for A1434/Newark Road. Continue through one roundabout onto St Catherines/A15 through another roundabout, blah, blah blah, then ASK A NATIVE, nom de Zeus !!
Will you go to your hotel coming from North or South? You should understand that we need this kind of important information. Please, ami Robert …
Travel advice for Lincolnshire from France? Incroyable!

I shall be coming from 'oop Norf, Gerard from Cadwell Park, probably late Saturday evening.

Salut.

Le Bob.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3746973)   #2114
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Baub, I have a couple of concerns after reading this post:
1. I too had contemplated a (mostly Vauxhall) car model pun based reply to you, but found myself too busy over the weekend to put finger (well thmb) to keyboard.
2. I dread to think how incomprehensible your original post was before you edited it to make it more understandable!
Anyway, those of us interested in the technical workings of Volvo diesel engines are becoming a little worried to find that this thread is turning into a personal combined version of the AA Routeplanner and Trip Advisor (Lincolnshire)...

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday Eve!

Felicitations duly noted and appreciated.

While I hardly dare venture to express the view, but it does seem to me, and here I naturally bow to the superior judgement of our illustrious Moderators, but learned dissertations on the Volvo diesel engine should really have a totally separate Forum. Perhaps with a title such as ........ let me think .....mmm..... Ah!

Entertainment for Long Winter Evenings, and Sleepless Nights.

Or.

The Arcane Ramblings of Knowalls.

Maybe.

Gordon's Lunch Break Lessons.

Something along those lines should be suitable, I recommend it to the powers that be.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3747014)   #2115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I, sure none of you are the slightest bit interested, but it's a superb evening here in Portsmouth Ferry dockyard. Waiting to see if I can spot the old urban Fox scavenging around the cars and trucks.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3747018)   #2116
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, I, sure none of you are the slightest bit interested, but it's a superb evening here in Portsmouth Ferry dockyard. Waiting to see if I can spot the old urban Fox scavenging around the cars and trucks.
Why of course we are Mike. Urban Fox? Is that a euphemism for the local night life? Nudge, nudge.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3747031)   #2117
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds to me like you're wasting valuable time which could be spent in the Ship and Castle!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3747047)   #2118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Sounds to me like you're wasting valuable time which could be spent in the Ship and Castle!
Funny you should mention the pub.....
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3747048)   #2119
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's even more pleasant here in the Hotel Vidamar in Funchal.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3747065)   #2120
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd think a pub right by a ferry port would be overpriced but there aren't many meals at the S&C that are over £8. Enjoy Mike!
Old 26 Jun 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3747134)   #2121
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Happy birthday Le bauble !
Old 27 Jun 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3747177)   #2122
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
An 'octogenarian' then at last!

Congratulations
Old 27 Jun 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3747187)   #2123
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Happy Birthday Bob, OLD boy!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3747193)   #2124
midgetman
Veteran

Happy birthday Bauble! A great celebration I trust. Shall we suspend mickey taking activity in honour of the day? Nah I think we should continue

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jun 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3747195)   #2125
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
The be nice to Bauble, today's his Birthday thread!

I was hoping to call this The International be nice to Bauble thread because today is his 80th Birthday thread - One Day Only! but I don't think there's room.
Anyway Bob Old Chap, I for one am prepared to suspend hostilities for 24 hours* to wish you a Jolly and Happy Birthday, and many of them.
As the stalwart of this forum, and thought-provoker extraordinaire that you are, I thought the occasion should be suitably marked...
*Normal service will be resumed of course tomorrow!